This is one of the many reasons I despise Forrest Griffin...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » This is one of the many reasons I despise Forrest Griffin...
emfleek
2/14/12 3:57:01PM
I didn't think it was possible to like him any less than I already do. Until I saw him post this stuff the other day...

LINK

emfleek
2/14/12 4:00:33PM
More backpedaling from the least funny (or is it least funniest?) guy on Twitter.

Another "joke" of his didn't get any laughs so suddenly everyone else is in the wrong for interpreting it the wrong way.

This is starting to become a routine for the guy.
Poor_Franklin
2/14/12 4:12:35PM

Posted by emfleek

he needs to get what he deserves. can we arrange another Anderson fight?
Lesnar1
2/14/12 4:14:02PM
WoW! that whole sequence of posts he made were super annoying and douchey. Forrest should stick to fighting, and leave his "comedy" to people who are acually funny. Anyone should know not to joke about a kid with cancer it's just common sense.
Budgellism
2/14/12 4:47:44PM
Woah, Forrest

DancingDoll
2/14/12 4:51:09PM
"I was trying to be nice and meet this kid who liked me"... and uhmm, yeah I'm sure he'll totally get the inspirational warm-fuzzies when his hero refers to him as a 'dumbass' on twitter.

Brutal.
scoozna
2/14/12 5:17:05PM
I may be foolish, but I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and figure that Forrest isn't all that good with words (like a lot of fighters). I get the impression he was meeting the kid with cancer to do a good deed in the first place.
Aether
2/14/12 5:17:40PM
I don't know, when you remove inflection, sometimes something that would sound innocuous in real life can be interpreted exactly literally, and becomes something pretty horrible. I think if you heard him speak the words with some kind of sarcastic inflection maybe they take on a completely opposite meaning than they do in pure text form, and he's actually making fun of himself for being miserable and commending the kid for being happy through use of irony and sarcasem. It's hard to interpret which parts of his statement are meant to be purely ironic when you have no body language, inflection, etc. to help you formulate meaning with the words. A statement rooted in Irony is often interpreted pretty much exactly the same as a statement rooted in fact when it's conveyed in pure text.

I think if you took even a really good comedian's act (not that I think Forrest is a comedian) and transcribed it into text there would be large portions where they just sounded like racists, homophobes, misogynists, assholes etc. but they were actually purposefully trying to convey the exact opposite by showing how ridiculous they sound while saying racist, homophobic things.

I'm not saying it should necessarily be read one way or the other, but that there are many potential interpretations if you re-contextualize the statement with body language and inflection, because interpretation of the statement probably relies on a bunch of things that are not communicable over pure text. It's stupid and short sighted of him to post potentially offensive and easily misinterpreted jokes, but I don't think it's coming from a place of malice. I think it's really just that in his brain communicating with twitter is analogous to communicating with a human who is in front of you, so he makes no consideration that there a dramatic loss of communicability in pure text form.

IMO if you make anything other than a purely logical, emotionless statement in text, it can be easily misconstrued or take on any different number of potential meanings. I can easily see interpretations of this statement with inflection and body language added where the meaning becomes that he is calling himself a moron for being miserable and commending the kid for being happy despite having a way worse life than Forrest does. I believe that this is probably his intended meaning, although I guess it's also possible that he really thinks the kid is stupid and should be miserable, but I doubt that. I really think it's just that his mode of communication throughout life has been sarcasm, and that text-based communication is a relatively new thing for him, which pretty much strips all sarcasm away and renders your statements literal.

I think he's simply short-sighted, not malicious.
Poor_Franklin
2/14/12 5:23:08PM
i have a twisted sense of humor. i hope the kid w/ cancer does too.
TeamDEY
2/14/12 5:30:31PM
I haven't like Forrest since re ran out on Silva
Kpro
2/14/12 6:20:12PM
Take out dumbass and f'in and it reads as he intended it to, to me. Tweeting for some people is what you think before your brain has a chance to okay it to come out of your mouth. Regardless, the dumbass and f'in weren't the best word choices when so many are sensitive to the topic. I say fire him but then hire him back in 6 hours or less.
Wallass
2/14/12 6:29:17PM
Shouldnt he be happy he has a healthy baby?
prophecy033
2/14/12 7:15:02PM
I dont care if he was trying to be funny, he fell flat on his face. Jokes suck when your talking about kids with cancer. Not a damn thing funny about it

* I'd say your the dumbass Forrest for not making more out of your good life
ncordless
2/14/12 9:30:49PM
I got no problem with the content. Cancer's not a sacred cow, and there is no topic that can't be made fun of if done the right way. The problem is that Forrest is not funny that way, and tries to make up for it with outrageous topics. But he can't make those topics funny unless he is already funny. Forrest is at his best when he is self-deprecating. He is at his worst when he is being a snarky asshole. Some people can pull it off. He can't.

He should cool it on the twats. He still has some good will with Zuffa. His fighting career is not going anywhere near where it has been in the past. He's gonna need zuffa to support him some day soon. Pissing them off with unfunny jokes about little kids with cancer is not going to keep him in good standing.
Bubbles
2/14/12 11:56:14PM
with what Aether said
tcunningham
2/15/12 12:35:54AM
very tacky. sounded more like a bad joke.
Poor_Franklin
2/15/12 12:36:51AM
i dont mind the joke. more upset over it being a little kid & possibly looking up to forrest & then finding out he was called a dumbass.

jjeans
2/15/12 4:28:18AM
I enjoyed it, think it fits in with British sarcastic humour I understand why some people don't get it as it seems sick but with this day and age when ill wake up with 20-30 texts after Celebrities deaths all of them as sick and twisted as the last, I understand where he's coming from, he's just questioning why he doesn't live everyday like his last.
State_Champ
2/15/12 10:22:24AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by emfleek

he needs to get what he deserves. can we arrange another Anderson fight?

Too cruel.

I just think that wishing death upon him is a bit harsh, don't you?
KingCmb
2/15/12 11:36:38AM
nothing is sacred if your offended then dont follow him free country to say what you want and your free to not look at it i dont like what he said but i like that he can say it he was unfunny not a bad guy

freedom over reacting people who will sity on here and complain about sopa then want a man punished for not liking his joke
Budgellism
2/15/12 2:15:15PM

Posted by the-king

nothing is sacred if your offended then dont follow him free country to say what you want and your free to not look at it i dont like what he said but i like that he can say it he was unfunny not a bad guy

freedom over reacting people who will sity on here and complain about sopa then want a man punished for not liking his joke

The point is his delivery was awful. I don't have a problem with anyone making fun of anything but it has to be funny. When I read all those tweets it looked to me like:
1. He was being a whinny bitch (He just had a child and has a job that can both support himself and his family greatly. Don't whin on twitter that you're sad when you have a life that great).
2. He chose a touchy subject to make a joke about and fell flat on his face in doing so. If you're going to tell those kinds of jokes you need to be funny or you're obviously going to get some backlash.

Look at Jacob Volkmann. The context of their jokes is completely different but the end result is the same. Many comedians have told jokes about Obama being a moron and have success in doing so. When an unfunny guy like Volkmann told his "Obama is a moron" joke he face planted as well.

EDIT: I don't think he should be punished. He's been punished enough by all the hateful responses he received for making such a stupid joke.
KingCmb
2/15/12 2:53:33PM
i agree with you but i think others are a being a bit hypocritical
Boo_Radley21
2/15/12 5:04:36PM
I hate twitter for what it has done to our society
prozacnation1978
2/15/12 11:56:27PM
I don't think forrest understands that something u could die from. It makes everyday seem a lot more brighter and u appreciate every moment and day of living. Forrest needs to keep his mouth shut. The whole rape thing. He should have learned from that alone
tmas
2/16/12 12:06:11AM
i believe forrest was actually just saying wow its like no one told this kid he has cancer, because he is happy, and wow im miserable, and have everything, this kids has nothing and could possibly die from this cancer....forrest made a mistake in the past with tweeting but lets be fair, i dont think he was actually putting the kid down, maybe he just isnt very good at writing the thoughts, explaining them out well espically with limited words.....i think he was trying to inspire himself and others, by saying look he has cancer and is happy, then we all should be......
KungFuMaster
2/16/12 4:39:35PM
I could be wrong but I think I understand Forrest. He does not exactly have the best prose and rhetoric.

When he wrote those tweets, it seems like he wrote them in the first person but I believe he wrote them in the third person. He is basically having a conversation with himself...

When he referred to the kid as a dumb ass, he did that in the third person. He was not calling the kid a dumb ass. He meant to use that as an example or better yet - to foreshadow what is to come and how he really feels.

I think people are nick picking too much but if they want to nick pick - then they need to analyze all the tweets and determine what kind of language is being used, what tone were the tweets written in, and what level of writing they were written in and so forth.

Just because someone uses a derogatory term does not necessarily mean he or she is being condescending. You have to take into consideration - the tone, the speech, and most importantly the message of what the sentence and or paragraph is saying before jumping into conclusion of what a given word means.>>>> And because Forrest does not have great rhetoric, he will have to resort to the language he knows and the language he knows is obviously not known by all who read him.

I read you just fine, Forrest. I'm still a fan.
Pookie
2/16/12 5:18:08PM
I think the whole point of it was done with good intent. And so, it doesn't bother me at all as his point was to elicit a positive reaction.

But his delivery kind of sucked, and so he elicited a negative reaction. Ultimately, all the negative coming his way was spurred from his actions, so i don't sympathize with him either. Life's tough, you know. As long as someone is willing to man-up to whatever they had done, and accept the repercussions of his/her actions, they're fine by me. Especially if it was done in good intention. Bad taste maybe, but good intention nonetheless.

Shit, if you read closely between the lines and don't get caught up in the specifics, there's even a moral in it. A moral that he even internalized by the looks of it. So i don't mind it at all.