10 reasons you should be afraid of Shinya Aoki

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » 10 reasons you should be afraid of Shinya Aoki
Next Page »
jiujitsufreak74
6/17/08 11:51:53PM
fortunately, i have been able to spread the fear of the stretchy pants around the playground. however, my efforts are not enough as there are still people that do not recognize Aoki's skills. For those people, i have compiled a list of 10 good reasons to fear him in an effort to convert the non-believers:

10. He is a former police officer and balck belt in judo and BJJ

9. His nickname "Tobikan Judan" means "tenth degree black belt in jumping locks" and was given to him after success in numerous submission tournaments.

8. His gogoplata victory over Hell Boy is considered to be the first successful gogoplata in MMA competition.

7. He has defeated multiple Olympic medalists in his career.

6. He is only one of a select few who have used the De La Riva guard effectively in MMA. (it is rarely ever seen in MMA and he used in on JZ to deliver multiple head kicks)

5. He is the only fighter to pull off the flying triangle choke against major competition.

4. He once submitted a guy while standing via armlock

3. He is the first fighter to pull off a mounted gogoplata in professional competition

2. He gave Roger Gracie, the best HW JJ practitioner in the world, a hard time in their ADCC match despite being out-weighted by 65lbs.

1. Watch this HL and then tell me if you are still a non-believer: #1 reason to fear Aoki
holt8081
6/17/08 11:55:46PM
11. He has on stretchy pants. No but really that is a bad ass submission.
jiujitsufreak74
6/17/08 11:59:58PM

Posted by holt8081

well that is the main reason to fear him...i was just listing other reasons that people overlook
holt8081
6/18/08 12:03:23AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by holt8081

well that is the main reason to fear him...i was just listing other reasons that people overlook

In the words of Joe Rogan "that a scary scary dude"
The_Ho_Bag
6/18/08 12:16:10AM
what happens if i cut those Stretchy pants?

lmao Aoki=Beast
wolfman
6/18/08 12:17:13AM
Awesome list jjfreak!

EDIT: Oh and at your avatar title, cracked me up.
jiujitsufreak74
6/18/08 12:17:29AM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

lmao Aoki=Beast

nothing can penetrate the pants as they are invulnerable
holt8081
6/18/08 12:20:04AM

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

lmao Aoki=Beast

it would look like bisqets when you pop the tube, hes really 300 lbs squeezed in to loooong speedos.
hotrodttt
6/18/08 12:40:02AM
Reason # 11 - Shinya had Gilby Melendez scarred in 2006, they were supposed to Fight but Gilby pulled out. I'd love to see that Fight.

Reason # 12 - It doesn't matter how hard you are or how tough you are, Shinya will find a way to Win. He'll Piggy Back ride yo ass for a Dominated Decision. (JZ)

Great List !
Khaos
6/18/08 3:01:14AM
Shinya is number 1 in my book

(Although I have Uno winning their fight)
grappler0000
6/18/08 7:18:05AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't he 1 of only 2 fighters to have multiple gogoplata victories in professional competition...Brad Imes being the other?
CornishMMA
6/18/08 7:37:20AM
That is the correct but 1 of 2 doesnt sound special enough for Aoki, especially since Imes did his against cans

I have that standing armlock GIF and did have it as an avatar but have lost it damn i love that gif and want it as my avvy again!!!!!!!

*EDIT* see my profile for GIF of it jjfreak you can get someone to make an avvy of it for yourself if you want .... since my boy swick ruined yours and you cant use the davis one i made for you for a while
jiujitsufreak74
6/18/08 3:38:24PM

Posted by CornishMMA

That is the correct but 1 of 2 doesnt sound special enough for Aoki, especially since Imes did his against cans

I have that standing armlock GIF and did have it as an avatar but have lost it damn i love that gif and want it as my avvy again!!!!!!!

*EDIT* see my profile for GIF of it jjfreak you can get someone to make an avvy of it for yourself if you want .... since my boy swick ruined yours and you cant use the davis one i made for you for a while

well i am no fair weather fan but point taken. Grappler has already made me an Aoki avatar but after my avatar bet sentence is up i was going to ask him to make me a new one including the mounted gogo.
king_katool
6/18/08 4:17:22PM
aoki is the man, he's gonna win the dream GP watch
89vision
6/18/08 5:15:33PM
check out jjfreaks next flavor of the month after davis and aoki.......miguel torres

FEAR THE MULLET MOHAWK
p_unit23
6/18/08 6:29:01PM
man, if i saw Shinya Aoki walking down the street, i wouldn't think much of him. This guy is freakin amazing though. I hope he wins the Dream LW GP.
jiujitsufreak74
6/18/08 6:58:35PM

Posted by 89vision

check out jjfreaks next flavor of the month after davis and aoki.......miguel torres

FEAR THE MULLET MOHAWK

Aoki and Davis have been my favorites for years. i was a Davis fan when he was back in the New England boxing circuit so my fanatacism carried over into his MMA debut. and Aoki became my second favorite fighter when i saw him grapple Roger Gracie in 2005 and then later when he got that gogo on Hell Boy it reaffirmed my fandom of him.
CornishMMA
6/18/08 8:56:50PM

Posted by 89vision

FEAR THE MULLET MOHAWK

Aoki and Davis have been my favorites for years. i was a Davis fan when he was back in the New England boxing circuit so my fanatacism carried over into his MMA debut. and Aoki became my second favorite fighter when i saw him grapple Roger Gracie in 2005 and then later when he got that gogo on Hell Boy it reaffirmed my fandom of him.

Best putting in place pwnage ever maybe, well done jjfreak, and i wasnt suggesting you werent a fan anymore, i just meant it would make sense to change the avatar for a while, but you should use that one again around his fights
jiujitsufreak74
6/19/08 12:01:17AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by 89vision

FEAR THE MULLET MOHAWK

Best putting in place pwnage ever maybe, well done jjfreak, and i wasnt suggesting you werent a fan anymore, i just meant it would make sense to change the avatar for a while, but you should use that one again around his fights

well i knew what you meant so i will take my loss and tip my hat to Swick, but still be a Davis nuthugger. but i wont stand for being called a flavor of the month fan
Manfred
6/19/08 12:42:47AM
Another reason:

Too bad we won't see him in the UFC. Commissions won't allow those stretchy pants!
89vision
6/19/08 12:50:39AM

Posted by 89vision

FEAR THE MULLET MOHAWK

i was just jokin' man
jiujitsufreak74
6/19/08 1:09:57AM

Posted by 89vision

Posted by 89vision

FEAR THE MULLET MOHAWK

i was just jokin' man

sorry, i just get hostile when my fandom gets brought into question. sorry for being such a prick
Believe-in-judo81
6/19/08 1:22:35AM
Why do you even need ten reasons Any dude that considers Mounted Triangles/gogoplatas, Sitting Armbars, and triangles from rubber guard go to submissions is a scary dude, especially given the facts that he pulls them off, often and rather easily.
jiujitsufreak74
12/31/08 2:39:52PM
WELL, HERE IS ANOTHER ONE....ASK EDDIE ALVAREZ HOW HIS FOOT FEELS

FEAR THE STRETCHY PANTS
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/31/08 4:35:18PM
His deadly staying on his ass until getting a hold of one of your limbs technique.
jiujitsufreak74
12/31/08 5:16:59PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

His deadly staying on his ass until getting a hold of one of your limbs technique.

well did it work?

the answer: yes it did.

king_katool
12/31/08 6:35:03PM
what a weekend 2 of my fav fighter win titles in their weight classes and continue to make people realize they are no joke and are top of the weight class material

congrat to the UFC LHW CHAMP rashad evans and the new WAMMA LW CHAMP Shinya Aoki
The_Ho_Bag
12/31/08 7:53:44PM
im feeling an aoki warwagon aha
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/31/08 8:09:58PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

well did it work?

the answer: yes it did.

Not saying it didin't work... just saying I do not like that strategy à la nick serra one bit. Oh and i'm pretty sure he wouldn't fare well in the UFC with that either.
Wolfenstein
12/31/08 8:44:15PM
I also think Aoki would struggle in the UFC, particularly because the ring is three times as large, so there's more room for wrestlers to employ a sprawl and brawl gameplan. In a ring it's very easy to close the distance. He would win quite a bit as well though. His grip is like stick-em and he's super-fast once he gets close. He can be climbing up your back lickety-split. I underestimate him a lot, but I neve deny that he has one of, if not the most, dangerous submission game in MMA.

He's kind of a guy I overlooked as far as fightes of the year, probably because of his brutal loss to Joachim. A case could be made though as he has fought a whopping 7 times this year (one a NC) and beat Gesias Cavalcanti, Caol Uno, and Eddie Alvarez...not to mention he pulled ofthe first mounted gogoplata in MMA
Pages: [1] 2