Reason for PRIDE's demise?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Reason for PRIDE's demise?
POLL: What the BIGGEST reason PRIDE fall apart?
Losing TV deal - beggining of the end 74% (20)
UFC grew bigger because of TUF 11% (3)
Jerry (Gary) Millen 0% (0)
Poor marketing to US fans 4% (1)
Freak Show matches / Vale Tudo - like rules 0% (0)
The shreaky voice lady 11% (3)
Manfred
3/23/07 2:02:11AM
I'm curious what everyone thinks if in fact the Fertitta brothers bought PRIDE.

Personally I think it was the UFC's rapid growth. "Hardcore" fans of old liked PRIDE mainly because of the stable of fighters.

But the TUF crowd brought in the dollars for the UFC and it paid off. A lot of casual fans never heard of PRIDE, all they know is the UFC.

Losing the TV deal was big, but if the UFC hadn't recovered from the dark days, they'd still here and their US invasion would've been more successful.
ac_gi
3/23/07 2:06:14AM
You have to have a TV deal. The new owners will get a TV deal soon after the purchase of Pride.

I'm really hoping the only change we notice is more cross-promotional fights.
ac_gi
3/23/07 2:14:52AM

I love the The shreaky voice lady! Hopefully they keep her. I noticed on the last PPV she also has nice cleavage, that doesn't hurt.
hippysmacker
3/23/07 2:32:38AM
I agree that the TV deal was the most important. The fact that they lost it due to alleged mafia ties made it worse. All of the rest of the above are just contributing factors , but it's still not officially sold yet. The strength of Pride was their great fighter's and unless the Fertittas can get assurance on the contracts I still think it might not happen.
Manfred
3/23/07 2:39:39AM

Posted by ac_gi

I love the The shreaky voice lady! Hopefully they keep her. I noticed on the last PPV she also has nice cleavage, that doesn't hurt.

Yeah, I had one extra option, so I threw her in for kicks.
hippysmacker
3/23/07 3:13:44AM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by ac_gi

Yeah, I had one extra option, so I threw her in for kicks.

Instead of the voice lady, I would have thrown in non-title matches.
ac_gi
3/23/07 3:18:20AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Instead of the voice lady, I would have thrown in non-title matches.

Manfred
3/23/07 3:18:22AM
Excellent point on non-title matches. That was getting old for sure. Hendo's non-title loss Misaki deminishes his two-title accomplishment (slightly)
ac_gi
3/23/07 3:20:23AM
Man, I think we should change our camp name to Graveyard Shift.
Manfred
3/23/07 3:21:58AM

Posted by ac_gi

Man, I think we should change our camp name to Graveyard Shift.

I was wondering what you guys were doing up? It's 8:30 AM here
Baz
3/23/07 8:22:01AM
Got to be the TV deal for me. As annoying as all the non title fights were I don't think they were as detrimental as the TV deal going. Also Shreiky Lady is great!
nellyhiphophead
3/23/07 11:45:27AM
Losing TV deal - beggining of the end
thats when pride lost all the big cash coming in that deal was paying for it all just about. they still were getting big gates. and we all know they never do to great in the ppv's. so when they lost the t.v deal they lost alot of cash to pay for the fighters. so what do they do to try to get ppv sales? go to the u.s but now that didn't go over great so now they got to sell it. i think taking it back to japan is shot to make some cash or just keep it going to keep the selling price up.
loller90278
3/23/07 12:19:51PM
yakuza.
cowcatcher
3/23/07 1:09:55PM
well im not gonna call out the yakuza, in fact i think they are doing a great job
i think the ufc's growth coupled with the tv deal loss is the cause though, while millen is a dick for sure, he didnt tear the company down. i think when ufc landed the spike deal and came out with a reality show(which americans love) pride couldnt compete with ufc here in the states
pv3Hpv3p
3/23/07 1:43:54PM

Posted by loller90278

yakuza.

Hit the nail on the head
hippysmacker
3/23/07 1:48:29PM

Posted by ac_gi

Dude, she's like 60 or something.
loller90278
3/23/07 3:06:12PM
theres no PRIDE demise IMO.
6 years ago ufc was on the rocks and fertitta bros bought it and made it huge,
this is the same situation that pride is in right now. after thinking about it for a while, fertitta bros buying pride is a good thing. (if they can seperate pride and ufc correctly).
OchoCinco
3/23/07 5:06:49PM
I think the Fertitta paid off the mafia(they probably have enough money) so the mafia stopped backing Pride and it went under. Either that or because Hippysmacker said so(well thats probably what he thinks anyways)