‘I’m ready to die. I’m going to beat you:’ Exclusive conversation with UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » ‘I’m ready to die. I’m going to beat you:’ Exclusive conversation with UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn
« Previous Page
Pitbull09
1/4/09 1:41:08AM

Posted by JimiMak

There's no way anyone just walks away w/ this. Most likely BJ will again look fine and GSP will go to the hospital again. GSP could win this but has fewer options than BJ does.

And what would those options be?
JimiMak
1/4/09 2:14:35AM
Well if you're (self editing a potential insult out) enough to think GSP has an edge in striking and BJ "barely" has an edge in BJJ then I see you're not someone who can actually debate this. BJ could win by ko tko sub or dec. GSP's only option is a decision or a lucky punch.

Personally I lean towards BJ but admit it's gonna be great and don't "guaruntee" anybody a win, and I don't think the winner will take it easily no matter who it is. As much as I didn't want this to happen because I wish champions would defend belts and not go on these quests to be p4p or whatever BJ thinks he's doing. BUT I think this is the fight of the century. And I don't think it will disappoint.

Anyone who blindly sees this for one guy or another is just a plain stupid hater.
decken
1/4/09 2:34:53AM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by breakdown5

BJ has the edge in JJ and striking. GSP won their first fight with wrestling. As long as Penn doesn't gas, I think he'll take this one. GSP's only real option is to try and grind out five rounds of top position while avoiding Penn's subs. I just can't see GSP taking Penn down and holding him there for all five rounds. There is no way he finishes Penn.

If the first fight was in PRIDE, Penn probably would have won the decision (or GSP wouldn't have made it out of a ten minute first round).

And lastly,

WAR PENN!!!!

I respectfully DISAGREE

Bj doesn't has the edge in striking, come on man be serious, an eye poke and clipping the tip of the nose doesn't make you a better striker.

GSP has the edge in conditioning, wrestling, power, camp, and to not make you cry let say they are even in striking witch is not true because GSP has a lot more striking tools than BJ, specially with his legs.
And Bj has the edge in JJ but i would say that GSP is not a black belt for nothing and a weak guy like BJ will not submit him no way !!

As long as you don't bring the team down with you on that fight i will still like you ..

All I know is that Penn's face looked fine after the fight and GSP face was $%#*ed up. But really GSP did not land anything significant in the first round when they first fought. It was only after Penn started gassing did GSP start winning.

My breakdown of the fight is this:
Penn: Boxing, BJJ and Takedown Defense.
GSP:Wrestling, Alternative Striking, and Conditioning

Everyone knows GSP has an amazing gas tank but I think Penn has finally started training right. So while GSP will have a better gas tank I do not think it will be a significant advantage for GSP, in other words Penn will not gas this time around.

GSP has amazing wrestling but Penn has one of the best takedown defenses in mma. So in the first 3 rounds I think Penn will be able to dictate where the fight goes.

Penn also has better boxing and will win the jab war. As far as power shots go as long as Penn does not gas I do not think either fighter will land any ko punchs in the first 2 rounds and as stated before if penn does not gas I think he has the advantage in avoiding and landing power shots. While gsp will win the alternative striking hands down I do not think it is enough to overcome Penn's boxing.

Both are amazing at BJJ with the advantage going to Penn but I do not see either fighter being subbed unless one of them is significantly stunned by punches first.

I see the fight ending up Penn winning by UD. Penn will win the first 3 rounds the 4th will be very close and GSP will win the Fifth. Penn has the best chances of KOing GSP in the first three rounds and GSP has the best chance of KOing penn in the fifth.

It will be the best fight of 2009 hands down and I think Penn will win as long as he does not gas.
nastynick13
1/4/09 3:48:42AM
cmill21
1/4/09 6:52:07AM
I won't judge it based on their last fight, but I'm expecting BJ to want to keep it standing and GSP will want to grind out the decision or take him out in a later round. I will probably pick GSP due to strength and the fact that this is a 5 rounder at 170, but BJ does have more options.
BrutalKnockOut
1/5/09 4:52:44PM
BJ will definitely have his hands full against GSP, I don't think he'll have what it takes though, GSP is just too good right now.
Mayhem13
1/5/09 5:57:15PM
BJ is gonna jab, and box, and knee...and come out with a knockout.. before the tart of the 4th round
Pitbull09
1/5/09 11:17:52PM
Ok, in the end the fight is going to be the truth so here is how I am leaving this.

If GSP dominates, Pitbull no doubt will have the "GSP Afterparty" topic up along with a note of shame to
-JimiMark
-loller90278
-Cmill21
-Evenflow
-Mayhem13
and praise to myself along with
tuvok
SmileR

If I am wrong and BJ dominates, I will make a post apoligizing for underestimating Penn's supreme skill and shame the people I priased in the prevoius message.

If it is an even fight, I will do nothing.
EvenFlow
1/6/09 3:27:14AM

Posted by Pitbull09

Ok, in the end the fight is going to be the truth so here is how I am leaving this.

If GSP dominates, Pitbull no doubt will have the "GSP Afterparty" topic up along with a note of shame to
-JimiMark
-loller90278
-Cmill21
-Evenflow
-Mayhem13
tuvok
SmileR

If I am wrong and BJ dominates, I will make a post apoligizing for underestimating Penn's supreme skill and shame the people I priased in the prevoius message.

Av bet?
copcopps
1/6/09 9:29:04AM
DId you just hear what BJ said at the SGP vs Penn 2 hype video on ufc.com

"If he thinks Jon Fitch as the terminator he'll think I'm God."
Panochador
1/6/09 1:32:52PM

Posted by Pitbull09

I agree, GSP is going to dominate. There is no way its a split decision.

Striking- GSP (he isn;t just a boxer and low leg kick guy like Penn)
Wrestling- GSP
BJJ- Penn but barely
Weight- GSP (He is built for this weight class as BJ is ment for LW)
Conditioning- GSP (3 rounds boxing with Sherk doesnt mean you have better cardio than Sherk)

Penn BARELY has better jiu-jitsu than GSP???!!!

You sir, define nut-hugger.

Also, anybody who thinks that GSP has better striking than BJ Penn is fooling themselves. GSP was afraid to stand with MATT SERRA for christ sake...
EvenFlow
1/6/09 2:02:05PM

Posted by Panochador

I agree, GSP is going to dominate. There is no way its a split decision.

Striking- GSP (he isn;t just a boxer and low leg kick guy like Penn)
Wrestling- GSP
BJJ- Penn but barely
Weight- GSP (He is built for this weight class as BJ is ment for LW)
Conditioning- GSP (3 rounds boxing with Sherk doesnt mean you have better cardio than Sherk)

Penn BARELY has better jiu-jitsu than GSP???!!!

You sir, define nut-hugger.

Also, anybody who thinks that GSP has better striking than BJ Penn is fooling themselves. GSP was afraid to stand with MATT SERRA for christ sake...

This is true, his striking is overrated, it looks flashy and he can dish it but he cant take it. He has a small jaw and Penn is going to hit it all night until he gets a KO.
Tailgunner
1/7/09 2:27:19AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Pitbull09

-JimiMark
-loller90278
-Cmill21
-Evenflow
-Mayhem13
tuvok
SmileR

Av bet?

I'll take ANY av bet as I have won everyone I have made when betting on GSP.
State_Champ
1/8/09 2:22:24PM
GSP is definitely gonna win this fight!
EvenFlow
1/8/09 3:52:49PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Pitbull09

-JimiMark
-loller90278
-Cmill21
-Evenflow
-Mayhem13
tuvok
SmileR

Av bet?

Yeah thats pretty easy when GSP is the easy pick in every one of those fights, refuses to strike with Serra and destroys Fitch and Hughes who have terrible striking lol

GSP needs a LnP decision, just look at GSP's face from the last fight, hes going to get hit all night.
Pookie
1/8/09 4:07:58PM

Posted by Pitbull09

-JimiMark
-loller90278
-Cmill21
-Evenflow
-Mayhem13
tuvok
SmileR

Well if its even then you still lose to Jimimak & Loller, as they said its both going to be close to even and anyone not thinking this is stupid(), something of that sort.
Cmill isnt even picking BJ
Evenflow & Mayhem are the only ones stating something along the lines of a dominating performance by bj penn.

So actually, if GSP dominates you can feel free to chastise, but if its even or bj dominates then you get chastised and write an apology.
EvenFlow
1/8/09 4:15:35PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Pitbull09

-JimiMark
-loller90278
-Cmill21
-Evenflow
-Mayhem13
tuvok
SmileR

Evenflow & Mayhem are the only ones stating something along the lines of a dominating performance by bj penn.

So actually, if GSP dominates you can feel free to chastise, but if its even or bj dominates then you get chastised and write an apology.

I agree with you we dont need anymore gsquattin' and if GSP dominates (which I dont see LnP as dominating) but if he does then hey I was wrong but based on their first fight and later fights I see BJ winning, and even if BJ wins (domination or close) I'm not going to start threads to piss off the GSP die hards.

Just curious who are you picking Pookie?
Tailgunner
1/8/09 11:02:37PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Pitbull09

-JimiMark
-loller90278
-Cmill21
-Evenflow
-Mayhem13
tuvok
SmileR

Av bet?

Yeah thats pretty easy when GSP is the easy pick in every one of those fights, refuses to strike with Serra and destroys Fitch and Hughes who have terrible striking lol

GSP needs a LnP decision, just look at GSP's face from the last fight, hes going to get hit all night.

You don't know much about fighting do you? How many fights has Nick Diaz won where his face was jacked? How about Forrest Griffin? BJ's face doesn't get cut because of his facial bone structure and the amount of fat he has in his face.

Guys like Diaz,Griffin and GSP have very little facial fat and chiseled bone structure which leads to getting cut easier.

GSP will beat Penn AGAIN!!

Any one wanna av bet?

How about you Pookie, since you lost the last one you made with me! and then you didn't even stick to the terms!
Pookie
1/9/09 12:49:56AM

Posted by Tailgunner

You don't know much about fighting do you? How many fights has Nick Diaz won where his face was jacked? How about Forrest Griffin? BJ's face doesn't get cut because of his facial bone structure and the amount of fat he has in his face.

Guys like Diaz,Griffin and GSP have very little facial fat and chiseled bone structure which leads to getting cut easier.

Any one wanna av bet?

How about you Pookie, since you lost the last one you made with me! and then you didn't even stick to the terms!

Shenanigans!
When was said bet, because i honestly have no idea what youre talking about, and theres not a single message from you in my Mailbox ever.

Provide the Link to the thread and ill do it right now if i infact did not do it.

Bj Penn does not get bruises because he has a Samoan Heritage and Samoans dont bruise when they get hit.
Unless they Are from australia(Palelei) as they are the inferior version of the New Zealand Samoan(Hunt).

Nick Diaz has no headmovement as well(Forrest isn't much better), which is a bigger reason for his(their) face bruising up then his(their) natural facial structure.
Aether
1/9/09 6:42:58AM
I can't stand reading tuvok's posts... the english, the logic, the absolutely ridiculous overuse of emoticons, exclamation points, and question marks. Do you walk around screaming everything at the top of your lungs? Why do you have nineteen exclamation points at the end of every sentence?

I think GSP is probably going to win but I really can't stand the way that you put your opinion across, it's so obnoxious.

EvenFlow
1/9/09 2:00:31PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Pitbull09

-JimiMark
-loller90278
-Cmill21
-Evenflow
-Mayhem13
tuvok
SmileR

Av bet?

Any one wanna av bet?

I dont know much about fighting yet you make mistakes in your logic about facial injuries and "fat faces"? wow, and why are you pretending to have av bets with people? lol

I think it's funny that GSP die hards have to amp him up so much because of an obvious fear that this is the toughest fight of his life and if he gets by then he gets to fight Thiago Alves, that sucks.

At least as a fan of both I could see either BJ and GSP losing in January but your just like the rest of the GSP bandwagon and you think he's god.
RedCloud
1/9/09 6:56:18PM
BJ Penn will be licking GSPs blood off of his gloves at the end of the night.

They are both amazing fighters. This is probably the toughest fight of both of thier careers.

This is going to amazing! My favorite UFC card yet!
jawbreaker517
1/10/09 12:19:35AM
Penn is really well-rounded, but I still think GSP will be victorious in the end.
Pages: 1 [2]