‘I’m ready to die. I’m going to beat you:’ Exclusive conversation with UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » ‘I’m ready to die. I’m going to beat you:’ Exclusive conversation with UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn
Next Page »
SmileR
1/2/09 1:27:47PM
BJ Penn appreciates that significance, and also understands that he’ll be fighting a much more evolved St. Pierre on January 31. That understanding has helped him stay focused during training camp for what he hopes will be the biggest - and perhaps most definitive win of his career.

“I’m coming in, in great shape. I’m going to be real strong and real fast and in great condition. I’ve got a lot of stuff I’m going to come after him with. I’m going to try to knock him out. I’m going to try to slam him on his head. I’ve got no secrets. I’m just going to go out there and grind this thing out and I’m going to win this fight.”

“George is a real athletic guy so you’ve got to be smart out there. You’ve got to be thinking, weighing everything out as the fight is going. I’m training five hours a day. I’m training really hard for three hours in the morning, two hours at night. I’m just going full blast. I do 12 rounds a day. I do calisthenics, running and sprints, eating healthy food and honestly? I could fight right now. I could fight right now, today. I’m ready to go!”

Georges St. Pierre also had his share of hiccups en route to the division title. “Rush” was seeing a therapist at one point to help him deal with confidence issues and pre-fight anxiety that stemmed from his meteoric rise to the top. Like Penn, he seems to have put his issues behind him.

“I don’t know if he’s worried. Everybody is talking about him, whether he’s nervous for this fight or if he’s taking it light or what. I’m sure he knows that I’ve got some skills that I’m bringing to the table. But you never know, fighters, they get too confident sometimes.”

Link
tuvok500
1/2/09 2:03:27PM
GSP by muder !!

BJ can train and be in the best shape of his life , he gonna be completely humiliated by GSP in fact i think he will literally die in the cage so good to see that he is prepare for it !!

cmill21
1/2/09 2:09:54PM
Go Penn!
tuvok500
1/2/09 2:10:34PM

Posted by cmill21

Go Penn!

Traitor !!
gsquat
1/2/09 2:12:35PM

Posted by tuvok500

GSP by muder !!

BJ can train and be in the best shape of his life , he gonna be completely humiliated by GSP in fact i think he will literally die in the cage so good to see that he is prepare for it !!

thats quite the prediciton. For me, there's no reason to think that this wont be just as close as before. They're both as hungry and as driven as ever. It could still go either way, but I'm picking GSP as it seems a little safer.
higdon10
1/2/09 2:14:20PM
I think BJ is gonna get him.
SmileR
1/2/09 2:16:25PM
GSP by domination! I actually think he'll finish BJ this time round too.
tuvok500
1/2/09 2:20:59PM

Posted by SmileR

GSP by domination! I actually think he'll finish BJ this time round too.

same here rd 2 TKO
Aaronno9
1/2/09 2:31:43PM
Im no B.J nut hugger, but I think to say anybody below 185 is going "dominate" B.J while hes got gas in the tank is just silly. I am picking GSP via UD though. Im expecting lots of LnP.
postman
1/2/09 2:34:50PM
Come on what would make you think that?
DevonFoxy
1/2/09 3:07:09PM
If that doesn't pump you up for this fight i dont know what will. GSP really only has wrestling on Penn so I don't see how he is gonna Murder him

The only thing more intimidating than a psyched up Penn is.....probably nothing to be honest lol. Maybe a jacked up angry Fedor? Ask Pulver what happens when a focused Penn gets in the cage thinking about the time that the other guy beat him. If I was GSP I would prolly be a little scared right now. But thats just me lol. Not saying its gonna be like Pulver/Penn but I really dont see Penn loosing and with this confidence idk how anyone can pick against him.
Wolfenstein
1/2/09 3:15:54PM
Really psyched for this fight. BJ seems to be puting the nessecary time in the gym to go the full five rounds. I wouldn't be shocked to see BJ win, as there last match was very competetive, but I think BJ is somewhat out of his element at 170 so I'm sticking with George.
IriShame
1/2/09 3:17:56PM
I think everyone knows that GSP is the superior athlete here but I just think BJ has more tools to win this fight. GSP is not KOing or Submitting BJ. I think his best route to victory is a decision. I'm not saying that he can't win, I'm just saying if you're going to go 5 rounds with BJ Penn I will be very impressed if you can avoid getting finished. Having said that if someone can do it, it's GSP. I'm going to go with my gutt on this one and say BJ knocks him out in the 3rd round after avoiding takedown after takedown and forcing GSP to try to kickbox with him, similar to how he fought Sherk.
theguido
1/2/09 4:24:53PM

Posted by IriShame

I think everyone knows that GSP is the superior athlete here but I just think BJ has more tools to win this fight. GSP is not KOing or Submitting BJ. I think his best route to victory is a decision. I'm not saying that he can't win, I'm just saying if you're going to go 5 rounds with BJ Penn I will be very impressed if you can avoid getting finished. Having said that if someone can do it, it's GSP. I'm going to go with my gutt on this one and say BJ knocks him out in the 3rd round after avoiding takedown after takedown and forcing GSP to try to kickbox with him, similar to how he fought Sherk.

I agree with most of what your saying, but Sherk didn't really try to hard to take BJ down I expect GSP to try to take BJ down also with no suceess
chickmagnet
1/2/09 4:25:45PM
GSP didnt want this fight fyi. You could tell after UFC 87 when BJ got in the octagon that GSP was nervous already. Imagine how nervous hes going to be on fight day.

BJ by KO
loller90278
1/2/09 4:39:16PM
anybody saying 1 fighter will dominate the other is either being silly, or has no clue about MMA. this will be a very even and close match, and most likely a SD.
tuvok500
1/2/09 5:29:18PM

Posted by loller90278

anybody saying 1 fighter will dominate the other is either being silly, or has no clue about MMA. this will be a very even and close match, and most likely a SD.

If i was not already having an avatar bet on this one i would bet with you that BJ gonna lose before the end of regular time man !!

Beating Stevenson , Pulver and Sherk at 155 doesn't make you at the current GSP's level at all.

We will see who has no clue about mma man.

JimiMak
1/2/09 5:43:09PM
There's no way anyone just walks away w/ this. Most likely BJ will again look fine and GSP will go to the hospital again. GSP could win this but has fewer options than BJ does.
breakdown5
1/2/09 7:16:58PM
BJ has the edge in JJ and striking. GSP won their first fight with wrestling. As long as Penn doesn't gas, I think he'll take this one. GSP's only real option is to try and grind out five rounds of top position while avoiding Penn's subs. I just can't see GSP taking Penn down and holding him there for all five rounds. There is no way he finishes Penn.

If the first fight was in PRIDE, Penn probably would have won the decision (or GSP wouldn't have made it out of a ten minute first round).

And lastly,

WAR PENN!!!!

tuvok500
1/2/09 7:29:36PM

Posted by breakdown5

BJ has the edge in JJ and striking. GSP won their first fight with wrestling. As long as Penn doesn't gas, I think he'll take this one. GSP's only real option is to try and grind out five rounds of top position while avoiding Penn's subs. I just can't see GSP taking Penn down and holding him there for all five rounds. There is no way he finishes Penn.

If the first fight was in PRIDE, Penn probably would have won the decision (or GSP wouldn't have made it out of a ten minute first round).

And lastly,

WAR PENN!!!!

I respectfully DISAGREE

Bj doesn't has the edge in striking, come on man be serious, an eye poke and clipping the tip of the nose doesn't make you a better striker.

GSP has the edge in conditioning, wrestling, power, camp, and to not make you cry let say they are even in striking witch is not true because GSP has a lot more striking tools than BJ, specially with his legs.
And Bj has the edge in JJ but i would say that GSP is not a black belt for nothing and a weak guy like BJ will not submit him no way !!

As long as you don't bring the team down with you on that fight i will still like you ..
holt8081
1/2/09 11:02:28PM

Posted by loller90278

you said it right man it will be a great fight, BJ 4th round tko/ko
EvenFlow
1/2/09 11:51:36PM

Posted by tuvok500

GSP by muder !!

I'm gonna laugh at the GSP nuthuggers after this fight. Not gsquat status but somewhat anyway.
gsquat
1/3/09 10:52:47AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by tuvok500

GSP by muder !!

I'm gonna laugh at the GSP nuthuggers after this fight. Not gsquat status but somewhat anyway.

Da hah! Thats right. Aint got nothin on me.
tomsmith17381
1/3/09 3:17:31PM
gsp will lay a beat down on peanut head
deezyo
1/3/09 7:05:52PM
Bj seems focused
dannyfrank
1/3/09 8:03:45PM
im going with GSP on this one, however, its gonna be a damn close fight
HumanTarget
1/3/09 8:40:13PM
LOL, ok buddy. Hope you feel da riddum after BJ loses.
Pitbull09
1/4/09 1:29:23AM
This is going to be the fight that tells Penn to stay the hell down at LW, defend your title, and stop assuming your the best thing to ever happen. GSP will destroy him and then Penn is going to have more trouble than he expected with Florian
JimiMak
1/4/09 1:32:21AM

Posted by Pitbull09

This is going to be the fight that tells Penn to stay the hell down at LW, defend your title, and stop assuming your the best thing to ever happen. GSP will destroy him and then Penn is going to have more trouble than he expected with Florian

ROFL all day long
Pitbull09
1/4/09 1:37:00AM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by loller90278

If i was not already having an avatar bet on this one i would bet with you that BJ gonna lose before the end of regular time man !!

Beating Stevenson , Pulver and Sherk at 155 doesn't make you at the current GSP's level at all.

We will see who has no clue about mma man.

I agree, GSP is going to dominate. There is no way its a split decision.

Striking- GSP (he isn;t just a boxer and low leg kick guy like Penn)
Wrestling- GSP
BJJ- Penn but barely
Weight- GSP (He is built for this weight class as BJ is ment for LW)
Conditioning- GSP (3 rounds boxing with Sherk doesnt mean you have better cardio than Sherk)
Pages: [1] 2