Any one read A Game of Thrones?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Any one read A Game of Thrones?
pv3Hpv3p
11/12/08 11:05:13AM
I have never really read any fantasy in my life beside the lord of the rings and the hobbit... But I was looking for a book to read and my bro in law suggested this series so I gave it a shot...

Anyone out there read it? Written by George R.R. Martin... It's a 5 book (soon to be 5 book) series called A Song of Ice and Fire.. about dragons and knights and magic and shit... To be honest I thought I'd hate it, and couldnt' put the first book down... I'm about a 3rd of the way through the 4th book now and looking forward to the conclusion of the series...

Anyone out there read it? Was wondering if soneone familiar with it could give me a suggestion of two in the same genre... appreciated
Wolfenstein
11/12/08 4:31:03PM
I've read it. As I remember it was kind of sword and sorcery stuff, but not quite. Being that magic was sparsley used if at all, and it wasn't your typical kid stuff. Very dark and gritty fantasy.

Something in a similar vein I think would be The Briar King by J Gregory Keyes, The Darktower series by Stephen King, and possibly the Farseer series by Robin Hobb, and Imajica by Clive Barker.

If I were going to reccomend any book though it would be the Swan Song by Robert McCammon.

Solidus
11/12/08 6:10:34PM
Yes, I love the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. There's going to be 7 books in the series all together and possibly an HBO series in the coming years. But there doesnt seem to be much out there in the fantasy genre that's in the same vain. You might check out The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.

If you're just looking for a single novel, try Faery Tale by Raymond Feist or American Gods by Neil Gaimon. Both much different than what you're reading, but good none the less.