If you read comics, then you already know...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If you read comics, then you already know...
AchillesHeel
8/28/08 10:54:13AM
...that Jon Jones' nickname must be "The Martian Manhunter."

Plus, I think he might be a good "prospect" for the UFC. He's only 21, and winning a decision over Gusmao was pretty unexpected. Joe Rogan commented that Jones has been training MMA for 9 months.

Nine.

Months.

His tilt at UFC 87 was his 6th fight since April. Goldie noted that Jones was a Greco-Roman All-American, and there aren't a ton of Greco-Roman wrestlers in MMA right now (Hendo is the only one I can think of in the UFC right now), so Jones could catch some guys off-guard. Randy Couture once noted that it's difficult to find an MMA training partner who's well-versed in Greco-Roman, making it harder to prepare.

His name caught my eye, but I think he's a good signing for the UFC, and I would probably put him in the UFC's Top 20 already. I'd like to see him go against somebody like Reese Andy or Tim Boetsch next.
DiabloFreak56
8/28/08 11:28:30AM
i agree with you that hes a great prospect but to say he is already in the top 20 is obsurd. but yeah hes a great prospect just not top 20 after 1 fight vs guasamo
AchillesHeel
8/28/08 12:59:03PM

Posted by DiabloFreak56

i agree with you that hes a great prospect but to say he is already in the top 20 is obsurd. but yeah hes a great prospect just not top 20 after 1 fight vs guasamo

Forrest, Rampage, Liddell, Machida, Wandy, Thiago Silva, Rashad, Shogun, Jardine, Bonnar, Sokoudjou, Reljic, Vera, Hamill, Gouveia, Irvin, Alexander, Cane... That's 18.

I'm not counting Rich Franklin as a LHW yet, and I'm also not counting Henderson.

Right now, I would rate Gusmao, Andy, Lambert, Boetsch, Lee, and Sakara below Jones. Sakara has already dropped to 185, and Lambert is about to.

So yeah, without giving it a ton of thought, I rate Jones somewhere around 19th-21st in the UFC, depending on the guys coming into and going out of the division. Explain why you think that's absurd and maybe I'll reconsider. Like I say, I haven't given it a ton of thought, but I've given it some.
Evilwig
8/28/08 3:06:52PM
Yeah, but Martian Manhunter just died weeks ago (in the DC universe), so it would not be a winning nickname...

I know I'm a geek...
Bowen50
8/28/08 3:51:14PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by DiabloFreak56

Forrest, Rampage, Liddell, Machida, Wandy, Thiago Silva, Rashad, Shogun, Jardine, Bonnar, Sokoudjou, Reljic, Vera, Hamill, Gouveia, Irvin, Alexander, Cane... That's 18.

I'm not counting Rich Franklin as a LHW yet, and I'm also not counting Henderson.

Right now, I would rate Gusmao, Andy, Lambert, Boetsch, Lee, and Sakara below Jones. Sakara has already dropped to 185, and Lambert is about to.

So yeah, without giving it a ton of thought, I rate Jones somewhere around 19th-21st in the UFC, depending on the guys coming into and going out of the division. Explain why you think that's absurd and maybe I'll reconsider. Like I say, I haven't given it a ton of thought, but I've given it some.

I agree. Jones was very impressive in his win over Gusmao. He's definitly in the lower echelon of the top 20. Boetsch got really overrated after he beat Heath. Plus like you said Sakara and Lambert are both at 185 now and i think Jones is better than Reese Andy. Also James Lee hasn't fought since January and he got KO'd by Sakara. i gotta agree Jon Jones is in the top 20.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
8/28/08 11:44:43PM
I was telling my friend the other day that he should change his nickname to the Moon Knight (he always does his training at night).
gartface
8/28/08 11:51:19PM

Posted by Evilwig

Yeah, but Martian Manhunter just died weeks ago (in the DC universe), so it would not be a winning nickname...

I know I'm a geek...

The wrong kind of geek...DC
Evilwig
8/29/08 12:12:20AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Evilwig

I know I'm a geek...

Well I read more marvel than DC.......
gartface
8/29/08 12:54:44AM

Posted by Evilwig

Posted by gartface

Posted by Evilwig

I know I'm a geek...

I was just messing with you, but that's good. Never was a fan of DC...Superman just seemed too over the top. Batman is amazing, but all of the other Justice League...eh.
JohnnyNapalm
8/29/08 4:10:14AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Evilwig

Posted by gartface

Posted by Evilwig

I know I'm a geek...

I was just messing with you, but that's good. Never was a fan of DC...Superman just seemed too over the top. Batman is amazing, but all of the other Justice League...eh.

Justice League "eh"?

Whaddya smokin'? Check the super cans on Wonder Woman:

That's not just eh, that's ******' eh!