Razor Rob vs. Jamie Varner fight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Razor Rob vs. Jamie Varner fight
cj_striker
2/13/08 10:59:27PM
someone mentioned to me my comment was considered a spoiler and he was right so as of now i edited the comment will post it again tomorrow
Kpro
2/13/08 11:01:51PM
EDIT :) But I agree with the original post!
gartface
2/13/08 11:53:06PM
That was messed up with the timeout for a mouth piece getting punched out of Varner's mouth.
BlazinSaddle
2/14/08 12:40:51AM
why mccullogh why!?! did you not KO him while he asked for a timeout, cant ask for a timeout you shoulda cracked him while he was hurt, you gave him every opportunity to knock you out trading blows for what? your pride? varner is the most cocky fighter ive ever seen and you let him pick you apart instead of coming up with a gameplan?
emfleek
2/14/08 8:43:31AM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

varner is the most cocky fighter ive ever seen

You don't watch much MMA, do you?
stock
2/14/08 9:06:07AM

Posted by gartface

That was messed up with the timeout for a mouth piece getting punched out of Varner's mouth.

Yeah, I think Mazzagatti's new nickname should be the momentum killer. Varner was absolutely rocked and he was given the time to fully recover and then go Knock Razor Rob TFO.
cj_striker
2/14/08 9:23:54AM
my original comment was that I couldn't pick a winner for this fight, because I love Razor Rob, but I've been watching Varner for awhile and he's a badass. I knew he presented Razor Rob with a lot of problems, his jiu-jitsu and wrestling are both superior to Rob and he is a great boxer, the only quesiton was how solid his chin was. We all know Razor Rob throws some bombs and has a solid chin, but to me the question was would he use his muay thai experience to kick the shit out of Varner. I thought he would throw more kicks, but I guess he didn't want to leave his self open for the takedown (which I was very impressed by Rob's take down defense, because Varner is a great wrestler). But end the end people can say what they want about Varner calling the timeout to get the mouth piece, but the ref is the only one who can stop the action, so it's Rob's fault for not going in for the kill. And it's not like Varner purposely spit it out to get time to recover, Rob knocked the hell out of him and it come out. I don't consider Varner a coward for it, to me it was smart, if the ref will give it to you take it. But anyways kinda got of subject. I feel Varner is going to be champ for awhile, he is just to well rounded for the guys in the WEC. The only way I could see him losing that belt is by some guy getting a lucky shot or Razor Rob getting another shot and letting it all hang out and just try to bull rush Varner and not let up. With that said I personally would like to see Condit, Paulo, Varner, and Faber (if the UFC ever adds more weight classes or Faber feels he can put on another 10 lbs and compete) in the UFC for more competition.
cj_striker
2/14/08 9:28:13AM
forgot to mention in the book i just wrote, Varner has come across as cocky, but hopefully he'll act with more respect like he did after the fight from here on out. if so he'll become a crowd favorite for sure.
fullerene
2/14/08 9:34:39AM
Varner is very young and very good. I think he'll be a force in MMA for the next several years. Tough to believe he won the fight striking but couldn't take McCullough down and keep him there. Varner's boxing looked slightly better than Rob's, but I don't know why Rob didn't kick more. That seemed to be the big advantage he possessed striking, but he didn't capitalize on it. Maybe he was worried about getting countered with a hard punch or maybe he just got into a boxing rhythm and didn't find the timing to throw them.
MMA
2/14/08 10:22:23AM
Smart move by Varner to ask for his mouthpiece. He probably wouldn't have got the timeout if Rob was still pressing forward but they were wide apart. Somewhat shady but not nearly as bad as some of the other decisions I've seen. It's not like Varner was wobbling around when he asked for his mouthpiece.
JWils
2/14/08 10:57:51AM
My initial reaction to this fight was that conditioning was the deciding factor.

Both guys looked gassed at the end of the first after most of the round was spent with Varner going for the takedown and Razor Rob defending those takedowns very well.

Varner just looked like he recovered better during the break in between both rounds 1 & 2. Rob caught him with one big shot and almost ended it but I just got a sense throughout the fight that it was only a matter of time before Varner caught him.

I would like to see these two fight again.
KYGUY07
2/14/08 11:06:20AM
I thought Rob should have thrown alot more kicks
BlazinSaddle
2/14/08 3:00:14PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BlazinSaddle

varner is the most cocky fighter ive ever seen

You don't watch much MMA, do you?

i watch it enough, why dont you mind your business efemaleek or whatever your weird name is, way to cut apart the part you dont like

you a question talker ememaleek?
nickcuc547
2/14/08 3:28:48PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

why mccullogh why!?! did you not KO him while he asked for a timeout, cant ask for a timeout you shoulda cracked him while he was hurt, you gave him every opportunity to knock you out trading blows for what? your pride? varner is the most cocky fighter ive ever seen and you let him pick you apart instead of coming up with a gameplan?

ya that timeout was a little shady, but still you gotta give props to varner, he fought tough and fearless and he did deserve the win.
emfleek
2/14/08 3:57:36PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

i watch it enough, why dont you mind your business efemaleek or whatever your weird name is, way to cut apart the part you dont like

This just confirms what I've been thinking all along about you and your moronic posting. Keep it up. You make the rest of us feel a little smarter whenever you post.
gartface
2/14/08 4:24:04PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BlazinSaddle

This just confirms what I've been thinking all along about you and your moronic posting. Keep it up. You make the rest of us feel a little smarter whenever you post.

Haha