Ray Sefo Turns Down Fight with Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Ray Sefo Turns Down Fight with Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic
juanez13
2/26/08 3:11:27PM
K-1 fighter Ray Sefo (1-0) turned down an offer to fight former UFC heavyweight Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (22-6-2) at next month’s DREAM show in Japan.

The report also confirmed that Sefo, as well as super-heavyweight Jan Nortje (who defeated Bob Sapp in the main event of this past weekend’s “Strikeforce at the Dome” show), have both joined Xtreme Couture’s fight team.

Sefo turned downed the fight because he would have had just weeks to prepare for it.

Sefo, 37, owns a mere 1-0 professional MMA record after defeating Min Soo Kim with a second-round KO at a 2005 K-1 HERO’S show. However, the New Zealand native is most noted as a kickboxer (53-17-1 record) and a five-time Muay Thai world champ.

LINK

note i highlighted the reason he didnt take the fight, just becuase i know people would start talking smack and whatnot, if you dont know who ray sefo is, watch his fight in K1 against mark hunt, or against jerome lebanner.
silverbullet
2/26/08 4:01:29PM
Time to call Tim Boetsch!
juanez13
2/26/08 4:02:40PM

Posted by silverbullet

BlazinSaddle
2/26/08 5:05:01PM
i dont think sefo is much of an MMA guy (i think anyway) hes a beast in kickboxing but a fight in MMA with mirko isnt a good career move at 37

i could be wrong but didnt he already beat mirko in K-1 or am i think of Lebanner?
Pookie
2/26/08 5:34:35PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

i dont think sefo is much of an MMA guy (i think anyway) hes a beast in kickboxing but a fight in MMA with mirko isnt a good career move at 37

i could be wrong but didnt he already beat mirko in K-1 or am i think of Lebanner?

Mirko beat leBanner in k-1
whardin19
2/26/08 5:38:10PM
I don't know much about the guy. But, I'm not sure I agree with not taking this fight. I know he's only got one professional MMA fight but, man he probably would have made a boat load of money with this fight. Also, with the way Mirko has been fighting he'd have a real good chance to win that fight too.
cmill21
2/26/08 5:45:35PM

Posted by whardin19

I don't know much about the guy. But, I'm not sure I agree with not taking this fight. I know he's only got one professional MMA fight but, man he probably would have made a boat load of money with this fight. Also, with the way Mirko has been fighting he'd have a real good chance to win that fight too.

Cro Cop's highly respected in K-1 and is often talked about during the broadcasts to this day. If theres no threat of any sort of takedown, you don't want to have Cro Cop teeing off on you with his kicks and punches, even for a guy as good as sefo. I understand why he turned it down.
BlazinSaddle
2/26/08 5:47:34PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by BlazinSaddle

i meant sefo beat lebanner, i know mirko beat lebanner, i was asking if sefo already fought mirko
cmill21
2/26/08 5:48:19PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Posted by Pookie

Posted by BlazinSaddle

i meant sefo beat lebanner, i know mirko beat lebanner, i was asking if sefo already fought mirko

No they have not fought.
Ordep
2/26/08 10:29:17PM
Kharitonov,Kharitonov,Kharitonov ..... it should be a great fight
Mastodon2
2/27/08 4:50:45AM
Sefo would be an awesome fight for Cro Cop, but I'd rather it was under K-1 rules than MMA rules. Sefo looked poor in his last K-1 bout, but he was very ill, and after losing to Aerts, he returned to his corner and proceeded to vomit in it. Not nice.

A Cro Cop/Sefo bout in MMA is certainly an interesting prospect though, the degredation of Cro Cop's pure striking ability would give Sefo an even better chance at beating him, and his iron head, very similar to Hunt's, may well be able to stand up to the Cro Cop LHK!
Silent-Sir
2/27/08 11:53:41AM
I totally understand why he turned down the fight. Why would anyone with only 1 professional MMA fight want to step into the ring/cage with Mirko with only 2 weeks of training. If he had a few more fights then I would say he's making excuses but since he is relatively inexperienced in the world of MMA, I don't blame him one bit for not taking the fight.
cspecial
3/18/08 1:49:47PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by silverbullet