The Rashad/Thiago/Machida Conundrum...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Rashad/Thiago/Machida Conundrum...
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/25/08 4:48:38AM
Rashad Evans 13-0
Lyoto Machida 13-0
Thiago Silva 13-0

They have got to match two of them together next...in the mean time the other one should face a good but beatble opponent...then the next match will be the battles of the 14-0's.

I say Rashad vs. Thiago (Battle of the 13-0's)
Give Machida somebody good but beatable like Reljic.
Then have the winner of the Rashad/Thiago fight face Machida (Battle of the 14-0's)
Winner gets a title shot.
MMAcca
5/25/08 7:31:29AM
None of them should be getting cans at this stage.

It's not fair to the fans or to themselves.

Machida should fight the winner of Griffin and Rampage as it's well overdue now and rashad and Thiago should fight each other for the shot after machida's.
Violence108
5/25/08 8:41:02AM
what about Wandy he just knocked out Keith big win fro me and Keith was pretty far in the title shot pic to

i say Lyoto vs Wandy
because Wandys style is prefect to beat Lyoto a push the action type of fighter
warglory
5/25/08 9:12:42AM

Posted by Violence108

what about Wandy he just knocked out Keith big win fro me and Keith was pretty far in the title shot pic to

i say Lyoto vs Wandy
because Wandys style is prefect to beat Lyoto a push the action type of fighter

No way, Wandy is still on the rebound and should seriously consider dropping to middleweight even affter his win. He would be a monster there.
IriShame
5/25/08 9:47:52AM
I just don't see anybody beating Machida. His style enables him to win decisions against just about any style. Efficient? Yes. Boring? **** Yes.
MFOTHER
5/25/08 10:38:09AM
i like any of these matchups.........and i am pretty positive either would serve rashad his first loss
Jackelope
5/25/08 10:42:14AM
Screw it, man... it needs to be Thiago vs. Machida for number one contender. Rashad can fight the loser of Forrest/Jackson. He'll lose to either one of those guys.
MFOTHER
5/25/08 10:49:12AM

Posted by Jackelope

Screw it, man... it needs to be Thiago vs. Machida for number one contender. Rashad can fight the loser of Forrest/Jackson. He'll lose to either one of those guys.

oh believe me id much rather see silva vs lyoto, i even started a thread about it a few days ago...but i just think rashaad has lucked out keeping that streak......i mean tito grapped the fence , but when was the last time we say a draw because of that? then chuck, or the other two opponents he was supposed to fight at 85 would have beaten him....... just seems like he's lucked out in his career

(not totally shitting on him....he does have skills.....i just think he's overrated )
Jackelope
5/25/08 11:50:08AM

Posted by MFOTHER

Posted by Jackelope

oh believe me id much rather see silva vs lyoto, i even started a thread about it a few days ago...but i just think rashaad has lucked out keeping that streak......i mean tito grapped the fence , but when was the last time we say a draw because of that? then chuck, or the other two opponents he was supposed to fight at 85 would have beaten him....... just seems like he's lucked out in his career

(not totally shitting on him....he does have skills.....i just think he's overrated )

I completely agree with you on Rashad. I think almost everyone else here would, too.
whardin19
5/25/08 12:29:40PM

Posted by MMAcca

None of them should be getting cans at this stage.

It's not fair to the fans or to themselves.

Machida should fight the winner of Griffin and Rampage as it's well overdue now and rashad and Thiago should fight each other for the shot after machida's.

Wow dude! That's exactally what I was thinking when I saw this post.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/25/08 12:52:14PM
i thought Tiago looked a lil flabby & was afraid he might be in poor shape & get caught. & damnit he almost did lol! great comeback. i think the ufc should give us Rashad vs Thiago as was originally slated for UFC 84 & Machida gets Forrest vs Quinton winner
NatedawgThaM
5/25/08 12:59:40PM
The only logical way.

Rashad vs Thiago- Both are still unproven even though talented. Neither have beaten a top 10 LHW so let's do it!

Machida vs. Chuck Liddell- Liddell already got beat by Rampage twice clearly and easily. I think he needs this win to even convince anybody he actually has a shot to beat Rampage in a 3rd match. Machida needs Liddell just as much for marketability reasons since many casual fans think he's boring so he needs another big time win.

Shogun I'm afraid is pretty much done. He'll never be the same with that knee injury. He probably could still fight but not as good as he was in PRIDE. Give him Soko.

Then as far as Wandy, after Rampage completely destroys Forrest, give Wandy Rampage in a 3rd fight. You can market it as Wandy finished him twice but the argument of Rampage having a better training and the fight being in the UFC without BS stand ups will make this a HUGE fight. And the fact Wandy destroyed Jardine(The obvious undisputed #1 contender) and Liddell got beat so convincingly by him and the fact their(liddell and Wandy) fight was close makes that fight doable.
Twenty20Dollars
5/25/08 1:06:30PM
Well if you give machida a real good striker he will be exposed and beaten, somebody like rampage or liddell.
NinjaCyborg
5/25/08 1:11:42PM
I also think Rashad is over-rated. I honestly was looking forward to Rashad Vs Irvin.

I agree with letting Machida fight the winner of Griffen and Jackson
and I think Wanderlei should drop to 185 and compete.

I would like to see W. Silva VS A. Silva
NatedawgThaM
5/25/08 4:48:38PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Well if you give machida a real good striker he will be exposed and beaten, somebody like rampage or liddell.

REALLY????

What happened in the Michael McDonald fight? McDonald is a world class kickboxer and got beat. And even though I find him boring and overrated many do find Rich Franklin's stand up to be "great", and machida schooled him. The same with Stephon Bonnar who we all know likes to scrap. Many find BJ Penn to have "great" stand up and he lost to Machida. Soko KO'd Arona and Lil Nog and he got schooled by Machida.
MMAcca
5/25/08 5:22:58PM

Posted by IriShame

I just don't see anybody beating Machida. His style enables him to win decisions against just about any style. Efficient? Yes. Boring? **** Yes.

Machida isn't boring, he's clever. He's always busy, always moving, always looking to strike.

Just because he doesn't stand in front of people and try to hit them before they hit him doesn't make him boring. It makes him smart imo.

WAR DRAGON!!! BRING ON THE TITLE SHOT!!!!
fonduktoe
5/25/08 5:30:13PM
machida is too boring to have a shot at the title
this is a spectator sport and i don't feel like watching somone backpedal for 25 minutes to win a decision
maybe if the ufc had a freeze tag division he could make a run for the title
NatedawgThaM
5/25/08 5:34:25PM
To beat Machida you are going to need GREAT aggression, chin, cardio, and sub defense, solid mentally and have a solid offensive approach. Pretty much the same thing you need against Anderson Silva. You just need to stay on him and as gay as it sounds "NEVER BACK DOWN!" LMAO.

The only guys I can see having a chance against him are Liddell back when he was champ not now, the current no weakness Rampage, and Thiago Silva. Rampage always brings the fight to you and has a great boxing coach that will help him beat Machida on the feet, his pure power and strength make him extremely hard to submit. He's only be KO'd once and that was by 50 Wandy knees. Thiago is always aggressive which is why I love him because he's so exciting. He has a BJJ black belt and is tough as hell like any other former or current Chutebox product.

So pretty much, it will take Rampage or a Chutebox guy to beat Machida.
Jlloyd
5/26/08 6:15:21AM
Get Evans to fight Machida

and Thiago to fight a good opponent but someone he will beat

then match the winners Machida and Thiago up

two of my favourite fighters, i'd absolutely love to see that fight
EON
5/26/08 7:25:00AM

Posted by fonduktoe

machida is too boring to have a shot at the title
this is a spectator sport and i don't feel like watching somone backpedal for 25 minutes to win a decision
maybe if the ufc had a freeze tag division he could make a run for the title

my god how many times can you troll about Machida? lets see you fight him mr. ultimate fighter guy
DangerousDjohn
5/26/08 2:28:42PM
Machida deserves it, its just I dont want to see fights that go to decision unless its a slugfest. Saturday had a spectacular card, and it pulled through. The only fight I could have done without was Machida-Tito. I almost fell asleep in that fight. Machida and Rashad fall under the same catagory FOR ME. Other people have their openions, but for me they are both boring fighers. If it was up to me Id give Thiago the shot and make Machida and Rashad fight to another boring decision. The one difference between Machida and Rashad in my book, is that Machida...if he wanted to...could be an excellent, non boring fighter. I will say although I think hes boring, Machida deserves it. I wouldnt be against him fighting either Silva for the number one contendership though.
beachbum7568
5/26/08 2:35:10PM
Machida will never get a title shot with his current style. He would be incredibly unmarketable with his style. It will be like all of timmy and sherks title defenses and we dont want to see those. All i think Machida needs to do is win with a finish like he did to sokoujou and he gets a shot
MartinKillMcGill
5/26/08 2:48:12PM
I think Evans should fight Thiago.And i would give Machida jardine. I know Machida will come in as a big favourite but i feel jardine fights better when he has nothing to loose and everything to gain. I dont know if he can win but to think jardine's height and reach could cause Machida some problem's
Pitbull09
5/26/08 2:48:39PM
Its prob going to be Rashad vs Wanderlei which mean the other fight could be T Sliva vs Lyoto (the winner of this will fight the loser of Evans/Wandy)
MondayNiteMauser
5/26/08 2:56:52PM
Thiago, Wandy, Machida, and Rashard would all lose to the Ice Man if they fought him. Chuck is obviously the real number one contender. He had an off night against Jardine and Rampage caught him. After he recovers from his injury chuck will get his title back and rule 2009 then retire.
holt8081
5/27/08 4:33:44PM
Rashad is not as good as his record shows. He as only fight two good fighters and he has a draw with one of them.
teddythetuna
5/27/08 5:17:28PM
i think the iceman would beat rashad and thats it on that list. Wandy is out for blood and silvas stand up is good enough to hang until he gets the opportunity to take chuck down(yes i think he could do it. just show up in good shape) and Machida is an amazing striker that can out counter chuck IMO. Unless they both decided to stand there and wait for the other to start punching Said it before and ill say it again. Machida LHW champ by 2009
gsquat
5/28/08 9:48:11AM
This is tough. Machida is no doubt the #1 or #2 contender in the LHW div. (depending on where you place Liddell). And Rashad and Thiago are at the back of the top ten. Give Machida the next title shot and make Rashad and Thiago fight eachother.