Why Rashad Evans ((should)) win.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Why Rashad Evans ((should)) win.
Next Page »
POLL: Who wins (i didn't bother to even addsubs in here)
Chuck ko 68% (51)
Evans ko 3% (2)
Chuck dec 8% (6)
Evans dec 9% (7)
close 3% (2)
Chuck flying gogo plata 9% (7)
seanfu
8/21/08 5:50:28AM
Chuck Chucky has fallen down a couple flights of mental stairs. Not to hate the guy but look back at the fearless badass from 06 who put away Babalu and made Ortiz unfamous. Tell me that mike Tyson esqe fear producing machine still works like it used to.

Sure the LHW division was pretty washed up back then, but since the Win over Ortiz in 2006 and all the fame (and acting) that followed he really never needed t fight to feed himself again.

He lost a fight he should have, and then dropped a fight to Jardine.

Rashad is a powerful guy. He's young, hungry, athletic, and a little cocky. People are saying Rashad doesn't have the tools to beat Liddell, and they are speaking sensibly. Liddell will never be taken down by a double leg in his life.

When he's 80 a robber will crack him over the head and go for a double leg (as al robbers do) and old ass chuck Liddell will sprawl away from it.

My point is that Chuck doesn't fearlessly go for the badass overhand knockouts like he used to.

If Rashad uses the clinch up against the fence he will win. If Rashad uses and upper body wrestling, he should win. Anything short of a double leg takedown approach should give him the win. The decision should be his.

People may think this is a crazy pick but hey, I also am picking Hammil to beat Rich coming up.
NewGuy
8/21/08 6:08:24AM
If Rashad follows the game plan I could see a decision win. Although that double leg will look too sweet to Rashad and when he goes for it; nighty night.
Copenhagen
8/21/08 6:21:44AM
Did you completely miss out on Chuck's last fight with Wandy? Those two loses are behind him.
Chuck's made a career out of knocking out wrestlers. His style is kryptonite to fighter's like Evans.
I cannot see how people logically think Rashad is the favorite in this fight, based on styles. Not sure how you can say he "should" win; "can" win is more suitable.

ufcboss
8/21/08 6:31:09AM
I want to see Rashard in the middle of the octagon, With his head in a pool of blood, Wondering what he is doing there.

If Liddell cant take out Sugar, He should retire then and there, But I just can not see this happening, I cant see how Rashard will win, Out strike him! He made Tito look good! Out wrestle him? Please try! Lay and Prey? Sure. He is in another league (Funny that he isnt though!)

If anything I will waiting for Liddell to take Rashard down!

WAR ICEMAN

In the end it should look something like this......
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
ncordless
8/21/08 6:34:03AM
I disagree. Rashad is going to be outsized in this fight. I don't think he has the tools or strength to get Chuck to the ground or stuck against the cage. Rashad's best bet will be to learn from Jardine and build a gameplan based on leg kicks and distance.
Aether
8/21/08 6:38:20AM
yeah I don't know, I might have agreed with your analysis if you offered it up after the jardine fight but after seeing him go to war with wanderlei I have a hard time agreeing. Rampage just has the style to beat him, sometimes that's how it is, styles make fights. The performance against Jardine was awful and it did seem at the time like he was a little timid and maybe not entirely confident, but his latest fight showed that he's still a warrior and he's still part of the upper ranks of the division and Rashad really isn't IMO.
nickcuc547
8/21/08 6:45:29AM
chuck dominates, rashad moves to middleweight. i'll actually be pulling for rashad, but chuck it just a better fighter.
fullerene
8/21/08 8:23:29AM

Posted by Copenhagen

Did you completely miss out on Chuck's last fight with Wandy? Those two loses are behind him.
Chuck's made a career out of knocking out wrestlers. His style is kryptonite to fighter's like Evans.
I cannot see how people logically think Rashad is the favorite in this fight, based on styles. Not sure how you can say he "should" win; "can" win is more suitable.

The quote above is the sensible approach. Athleticism only applies to the sport you are competing in and Liddell is as good a wrestler, a better kickboxer and probably a better BJJ player if the need ever arose. Plus he's both bigger and more experienced. It's a very tough fight for Evans stylistically.

That being said, every fighter who wants to achieve greatness has to step up and beat somebody they are supposed to lose to at some point in their career. Evans has gone a lot further than people expected (he wasn't even supposed to do well in TUF) and he seems committed to the sport. Win or lose this will probably be a "statement fight" that tells people he's either a good fighter who can't overcome the best fighters with certain styles or he's a great fighter who's going to be in the title mix very shortly.
fullerene
8/21/08 8:25:47AM

Posted by ncordless
Rashad's best bet will be to learn from Jardine and build a gameplan based on leg kicks and distance.

That's a good gameplan for Jardine or somebody else, but I don't see how Evans could pull it off. He's a short wrestler who has considerably less kickboxing experience than Liddell.
seanfu
8/21/08 8:36:25AM
Remember Wanderleis track record in a cage, and also Chuck stole two round in that fight with takedowns. They were fighting even.
juanez13
8/21/08 8:53:06AM

Posted by seanfu

Remember Wanderleis track record in a cage, and also Chuck stole two round in that fight with takedowns. They were fighting even.

not true at all IMO. Chuck had won those rounds even without the takedowns. He took wandy down to keep Wandy guessing, and make him think about another part of the fight, so he could set up his strikes (particularly the over hand)

Chuck wants the title back, and he'll be focused, which is all he needs to beat Rashad.
grappler0000
8/21/08 10:28:57AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by seanfu

not true at all IMO. Chuck had won those rounds even without the takedowns. He took wandy down to keep Wandy guessing, and make him think about another part of the fight, so he could set up his strikes (particularly the over hand)

Chuck wants the title back, and he'll be focused, which is all he needs to beat Rashad.

Jason-plata
8/21/08 12:06:24PM
For 1, we all have seen fighters who were the best come and go..
How long has it been since we have seen Chuck fight? How old is he?
How many moves does he really have??

He has one good punch that tho whole world has seen over and over and over again is like ....

It has been such a long time since he has been seen been fighting.
He has seen his peak. No doubt he WAS one of the best fighters in the world a year and a half ago.

I do not nessicarily love Rashad but I am so tired of seeing chucks non evolving boaring stance and game....
MFOTHER
8/21/08 12:11:05PM
i see chuck throwing a nice high left kick like he did to babalu, while rashad throws his only kick to land (high right ala sean salmon) and we get a nice main event double KO .... is it too late to book shonne as guest referee??
Jason-plata
8/21/08 12:13:19PM
Double KO would be amazing...
Ben_Hutch
8/21/08 12:20:57PM
Ryan Gracie via Armbar.
copcopps
8/21/08 12:23:18PM
Chuck by KO, Sugar isn't a striker by any means and that's what Chuck's weak with.

However, if Rashad DOES beat him, chuck needs to retire or he'll end up like Mr. Shamrock
tepid55
8/21/08 1:26:30PM
I think this fight will look similar to Liddell/Couture 1.
mkiv9secsupra
8/21/08 1:46:45PM
Rashad(whose is a lesser wrestler than Otriz, Randleman, and Couture) is going to take Chuck down?! Whats he going to do when he gets there? He isnt proficient at GnP or Subs and Chuck is the best at just standing back up so a takedown or two really isnt going to win a decision or finish Chuck..... Plus Rashad is only getting this fight because he lucked up on should be losses to Ortiz and Bisping.

jiujitsufreak74
8/21/08 2:11:44PM
i really don't understand why people think Rashad even has a chance. Chuck has made a career of knocking out wrestlers and this fight will be no different. Chuck has faced wrestlers with a lot more ability than Rashad and this will just be another day in the office for Chuck as he will sprawl and brawl his way to a 2nd round stoppage imho.

you can sum it up like this:

Chuck has made his career off of beating wrestlers/grapplers (Tito, Randy, Babalu, Horn, etc..)

+

Rashad isn't even the best wrestler Chuck has faced

+

Rashad went to a draw with Tito and fought at an even level where as Chuck outclassed Tito in each fight (not using MMAth but rather comparing the level they fought at against Tito)

=

Chuck R2 KO

BIGKAT
8/21/08 3:16:05PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Yep, like Randy couture isn't a better wrestler than Rashad ever will be, and we saw what Chuck did to him ;)
Naturaldisaster
8/21/08 3:36:05PM

Posted by seanfu

no. chuck was definitly winning every round of the fight.
gsquat
8/21/08 4:50:08PM

Posted by seanfu

Chuck Chucky has fallen down a couple flights of mental stairs. Not to hate the guy but look back at the fearless badass from 06 who put away Babalu and made Ortiz unfamous. Tell me that mike Tyson esqe fear producing machine still works like it used to.

Sure the LHW division was pretty washed up back then, but since the Win over Ortiz in 2006 and all the fame (and acting) that followed he really never needed t fight to feed himself again.

Rashad is a powerful guy. He's young, hungry, athletic, and a little cocky. People are saying Rashad doesn't have the tools to beat Liddell, and they are speaking sensibly. Liddell will never be taken down by a double leg in his life.

When he's 80 a robber will crack him over the head and go for a double leg (as al robbers do) and old ass chuck Liddell will sprawl away from it.

My point is that Chuck doesn't fearlessly go for the badass overhand knockouts like he used to.

If Rashad uses the clinch up against the fence he will win. If Rashad uses and upper body wrestling, he should win. Anything short of a double leg takedown approach should give him the win. The decision should be his.

People may think this is a crazy pick but hey, I also am picking Hammil to beat Rich coming up.

Word! It the Royce Gracie theory. The new breed of MMA fighters (TUF alum's) are starting with the things it took years for the current greats to achieve. Granted styles matter more (Wandy/Jardine), but the new generation of UFC fighters are top notch. They'd have to be. Otherwise nobody would be saying the sport is "evolving". Don't expect Rashad vs Liddell to be like Tito vs. Liddell. Thats all I'm saying.
jimmypockets
8/21/08 7:17:05PM
Rashad has a better shot at beating Liddell than Jardine did. People keep bringing up the Wandy/Liddell fight and I think it is silly. First off that was a one dimensional slugfest. Both fighters are more than happy to stand and trade and that is what they did. If you think Rashad's gameplan is to stand and trade you are crazy. Evans is a dominant wrestler and his standup skills are improving. Evans will win if he is hungry and trained hard. Both guys (in my opinion) have been known to gas. I believe Chuck will be able to stuff the takedowns in the first but if he does not end it before then he will be taken down the 2nd and third and lose a unan decision.
nickcuc547
8/21/08 7:24:03PM
i still don't see how chuck doesn't pull off the flying gogoplata
mkiv9secsupra
8/21/08 8:04:18PM

Posted by jimmypockets
Evans is a dominant wrestler

ufcFANatic1
8/25/08 6:58:53PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Thank you for saying that....I still believe Chuck/Wandi was the fight of the year (so far anyway)....and certainly washed away any and all doubts that may have come from Rampage & Jardine. Although, I am an admitted Chuck nuthugger, so I am very biased on this one!
Rush
8/25/08 8:06:36PM
I would be surprised if Rashad makes it past the 2nd round without getting KOed. In fact, I think there is a greater chance of him being KOed in the first.
breakdown5
8/25/08 8:13:29PM
I don't see much hope of Rashad taking this one. He never has been great standing and he probably isn't going to have much success keeping Chuck on his back.

So unless he can avoid the KO and repeatedly take Chuck down for three rounds, he might be able to squeek out a decision. It seems the judges love giving fighters the nod for lay n pray, and this is the only way I can see Rashad winning this fight.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/26/08 12:09:24AM

Posted by seanfu

Since when has rashad used anything other then single or double leg take downs? rashad winning the fight by clinch is laughable. Hes a good 3 inches shorter and will get hit trying to close the distance. Chuck by tko
Pages: [1] 2