Rashad Evans: "They Offered Me Glover Teixeira, I Said "No

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rashad Evans: "They Offered Me Glover Teixeira, I Said "No
Shawn91111
9/30/12 10:29:21PM
Add another name to the list of light heavyweights who didn't want to fight Glover Teixeira. Rashad Evans simply wasn't ready but he thinks he will be by January or February. The list of light heavyweights who wanted nothing to do with a fight against recent Octagon debutant Glover Teixeira just keeps growing and growing. The latest name to add to the list is former division champion Rashad Evans, who revealed as much on the UFC on FUEL TV 5 post-fight show last night (Sept. 29, 2012) when asked about his future and when he'll be returning to the cage:

"I don't know. I talked to Dana [White] early this week and we talked about maybe December. But I'm thinking maybe January or February. I will fight anybody. I want to get a fight at light heavyweight. They offered me a fight, but it was against Glover Teixeira and I only had three weeks to fight and I haven't been training. I was like, ‘no way, not with that notice in Brazil.'"

LINK

Rashad on Twitter
Rashad Evans ?@SugaRashadEvans
I will fight anybody with the proper notice.. But after 8yrs with the UFC & being one of their top earners. Y would I take a bad fight?!

Bad fight meaning not being in shape. Losing is hard enough but I will never serve myself up! If I'm haven't been training I won't fight!

I know alot of u fans may not realize but I don't walk around ready 2 fight. No one does. In this sport it takes at least 8wks 2 b ready!

Fighting another person is much harder than most ppl think & if im not training it takes time 2 get ready. There r no easy fights!
kingsmasher
9/30/12 10:31:02PM
After all the talk of evryone turning the fight down I hope Fabio gets the KO....Someone has to eventually fight him...How bout Gustaffson winner gets title shot...
kingsmasher
9/30/12 10:33:09PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Add another name to the list of light heavyweights who didn't want to fight Glover Teixeira. Rashad Evans simply wasn't ready but he thinks he will be by January or February. The list of light heavyweights who wanted nothing to do with a fight against recent Octagon debutant Glover Teixeira just keeps growing and growing. The latest name to add to the list is former division champion Rashad Evans, who revealed as much on the UFC on FUEL TV 5 post-fight show last night (Sept. 29, 2012) when asked about his future and when he'll be returning to the cage:

"I don't know. I talked to Dana [White] early this week and we talked about maybe December. But I'm thinking maybe January or February. I will fight anybody. I want to get a fight at light heavyweight. They offered me a fight, but it was against Glover Teixeira and I only had three weeks to fight and I haven't been training. I was like, ‘no way, not with that notice in Brazil.'"

LINK

Rashad on Twitter
I will fight anybody with the proper notice.. But after 8yrs with the UFC & being one of their top earners. Y would I take a bad fight?!

Bad fight meaning not being in shape. Losing is hard enough but I will never serve myself up! If I'm haven't been training I won't fight!

I know alot of u fans may not realize but I don't walk around ready 2 fight. No one does. In this sport it takes at least 8wks 2 b ready!

Fighting another person is much harder than most ppl think & if im not training it takes time 2 get ready. There r no easy fights!

Weidman took fight with Maia with two weeks notice...so it depends too on heart and desire...2 things in a fighter that cant be measured...
kingsmasher
9/30/12 10:38:36PM
Why didnt they just ask Chael to do it? Lemme guess
meier
9/30/12 10:49:15PM
Ask cro cop...catchweight?
FastKnockout
9/30/12 11:43:37PM
Errrbody be sccccured
ghandikush
9/30/12 11:53:24PM
Teixeira is not as scary as he's getting credit for.
Poor_Franklin
10/1/12 12:38:18AM
I hope all you Shogun haters are taking note that he's not the only LHW that turns down matchups
jlock003
10/1/12 12:48:20AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Shawn91111

LINK

Rashad on Twitter

Weidman took fight with Maia with two weeks notice...so it depends too on heart and desire...2 things in a fighter that cant be measured...

Maia wasn't nearly as dangerous to Weidman as Tex is to Rashad. Rashad's chin isn't exactly known for being the best in the world and if he's not in shape enough to work his takedowns and gnp it's a terrible fight for him.
TeamDEY
10/1/12 1:02:42AM
I don't think Rashad would have taken anyone on 3 weeks notice.
tcunningham
10/1/12 1:19:21AM
rashad needs a big win to stay near the top. teixeira is super dangerous and not that well known to the average ufc fan, and a loss to him would be tough for rashad. i still think he should have taken it because i always like to see rashad get KTFO. i am not a rashad evens fan
Twenty20Dollars
10/1/12 1:52:52AM
Maybe Dana should just get some street fighters, because that's what he wants. Anyone to step in at anytime no matter what.

Marlon Sims might be available.
aussiemma
10/1/12 2:21:14AM
texeira really seems like a scary dude to face...but i can picture him gassing shane carwin style if it makes it past the 1st round.
lll-lll
10/1/12 7:00:03AM

Posted by aussiemma

texeira really seems like a scary dude to face...but i can picture him gassing shane carwin style if it makes it past the 1st round.

Ive watched most of his fights. He has better cardio than you would expect for the pace he keeps. Rashad would be stupid to take this fight on short notice in poor shape. He has a weak chin and Glover has Hendoesque power. Rashad's speed SHOULD give Glover some issues if they ever fight, but if Glover lands Rashad will be out.

The situation is different from Shogun because Shogun was already training for a fight. I do not like Rashad, but I agree with whoever said he wouldve turned down any fight for that date. That is the way it sounds to me too.

As for Glover being scary, I think he should be to many guys at 205. I consider myself a fan. But honestly he has nothing for Jones short of a punchers chance. Id guess Gust would beat him too if he stays on his feet. Machida would school him. The rest is a toss up. Anyone with a weak chin is in danger vs a guy like Glover. He throws looking for that KO and has power in either hand. His BJJ seems pretty good in MMA too from the guys hes faced. His cardio seems so/so, but his chin better be damn good with the style of fight he brings. If he were not so short Id say he should move to HW and take advantage of a speed advantage being a small HW ala Fedor.
prozacnation1978
10/1/12 9:37:39AM
I wish bonnar faced texeira
And have Silva face someone else
kopower
10/1/12 10:05:44AM
I don't blame Rashad, especially if he wasn't close to being at the proper weight. The odds were stacked against him, and he probably chose wisely.
Bythar
10/1/12 10:17:30AM
I think all of this 'people are scared to fight him' talk is ridiculous personally. 3 weeks notice? There is absolutely nothing wrong with declining a fight offered with only a few weeks notice. fighters need to train, with the standard training camp these days tending to be around at 6-8 weeks. If there is a dude, training for a fight, then you get called in on short notice, you're gonna have less time to train and be at a disadvantage.

Why would it be 'fear' to do that? People should have the same notice, and if they don't, it is kind of unfair. I think it is cool when people do step up, but it definitely isn't bad or in any way wrong to not accept a short notice fight. These people are athletes, and their livelihood is mixed martial arts. Why risk that for no good reason?
ghandikush
10/1/12 10:34:17AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

I hope all you Shogun haters are taking note that he's not the only LHW that turns down matchups

That was understood when Jones turned down Sonnen and Lyoto turned down Jones......
bjj1605
10/1/12 10:46:45AM
I agree with $20.

We shouldn't EXPECT guys to step up on short notice.

These are professional athletes with careers, money, and reputation on the line. If they want to be prepared when they fight then they have the right to demand a proper training camp.

It is a TREAT when guys do step up. I will always love guys like Chuck Liddell (and yes, even Chael Sonnen) because of their "fight anyone, anywhere, anytime" attitude. But we shouldn't expect everyone to be like that.

It's unprofessional for Dana to expect his guys to take short notice fights whenever he needs it.

Unless he implements some type of formal replacement system, he's going to keep getting screwed over by injuries.
State_Champ
10/1/12 10:57:36AM

Posted by ghandikush

This.

But he is still dangerous, so I can see why guys like Evans, Shogun, Bonnar have avoided him: risk vs reward.

He's not as scary as he's being made to seem, but he's certainly not one to be crushed like so many cans, imo.

airkerma
10/1/12 10:59:16AM
Very well said BJJ, but already propped you today.

He can call it ducking or being scared, people with real lives call this job security and wise investing. It's a long way down when you lose to an up and comer in a position such as Rashads, especially on short notice. He has a career and a life of his own to worry about, and pleasing Dana is not necessarily in your best interests when he is always ready to throw people under the bus.
Sir_Karl
10/1/12 11:23:14AM

Posted by ghandikush

I think you are dreadfully wrong here. I have been a fan of his for about 8 years now. He is a monster and nobody in their right mind would take a fight with him on short notice. Hell, half these guys probably don't want to fight him period. Keep your eye on him because he may go right to the top. I am not sure what you are basing your comment on but in my eyes they are way off base.
BuffaloDave
10/1/12 11:47:51AM
So Rashad gets a pass again from an Uncle Dana bashing yet again, 1st was his Penn State comments to Phil Davis, now since Dana is publicly talking shit about his fighters turning down fights, Shad gets a pass here also.
fullerene
10/1/12 1:53:23PM

Posted by ghandikush

Probably the scariest thing about him is that he's unknown to most UFC fans.

I can see why Shogun or Rashad doesn't want to fight a guy who won't further their career and might harm it.
scoozna
10/1/12 2:18:20PM
The suspense for Glover's next fight is building and he hasn't even had to do or say anything!
ghandikush
10/1/12 2:20:47PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Posted by ghandikush

I think you are dreadfully wrong here. I have been a fan of his for about 8 years now. He is a monster and nobody in their right mind would take a fight with him on short notice. Hell, half these guys probably don't want to fight him period. Keep your eye on him because he may go right to the top. I am not sure what you are basing your comment on but in my eyes they are way off base.

No, I mean the guys a danger for sure, but the short notice stuff is different from saying guys are legit ducking. He hasnt impressed against a dynamic guy yet, let alone a killer like Henderson.
Chieftan1997
10/1/12 4:08:24PM
Isn't Glover already scheduled to fight Fabio Maldonado anyway???
Bubbles
10/1/12 4:26:06PM

Posted by Chieftan1997

Isn't Glover already scheduled to fight Fabio Maldonado anyway???

Evans was offered the fight before Fabio. He turned it down and Dana and Joe had to look elsewhere