MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida
POLL: Who wins & how? Evans or Machida?
Evans (t)ko 23% (16)
Rashad submission 1% (1)
Sugar by decision 1% (1)
Machida 75% (53)
hughesfan1
3/17/09 9:10:49AM
I'm sure there are lots of fans for both of these guys. I'm pretty torn on what I think will happen. I'm think Machida by UD or Rashad by TKO. Probably going with Evans. Only saw a pro Machida poll so far so I'm interested to see how the numbers come out on this. sorry I screwed up & didnt put all the choices on
mkiv9secsupra
3/17/09 9:15:07AM
We already have this discussion...
http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic31080-1.html
hughesfan1
3/17/09 9:22:08AM
Yeah but the poll is all about how will machida win. i thought it would be nice 2 have an un biased poll. i did screw up though & clicked 2 early. didnt finish poll all the way out like i meant 2. sorry
Davebled
3/17/09 6:57:01PM
Gonna be an interesting fight but I think Machida frustratw Evans and win by UD
Devastator
3/17/09 6:59:42PM
Machida by front kick followed by right straight.
mkiv9secsupra
3/17/09 7:04:32PM

Posted by hughesfan1

Yeah but the poll is all about how will machida win. i thought it would be nice 2 have an un biased poll.

yeah i would really liked to have had a poll with the actual winner of the fight on it!!!
Blizzard
3/17/09 11:22:54PM
I am not a Rashad fan by any means, but I think he will be the one to find the chink in Lyotos armor.
the_01
3/18/09 2:30:47PM
Someone's "O" must go. And hopefully will be Rashad's.
Pookie
3/18/09 3:22:21PM
I dont see an area where Rashad can capitalize on Machida's style.

He doesnt strike well while moving forward, hes flat footed for the most part.

His takedowns arent really anything special, and Machida has shown that his stance makes him very hard to get taken down from both leg takedowns and judo-type takedowns.

He gets hit frequently when he strikes.

He strikes in predictable patterns.

He paws out his jab to measure distance, when a strong stiff jab would be a much bigger help against a fighter like machida.

higdon10
3/18/09 7:47:44PM
Its very hard to pick against either of these guys. They both look unstoppable latley. I have no idea what is going to happen in this fight. As of now, I'm undecided.
Aevilgar
3/19/09 1:12:58AM
This fight is going to be another milestone for the UFC and MMA.

Machida, and fighters who have the amount of time training that he has are the future of the sport. You look at all the other fighters out there. They were wrestlers, or JJ guys, or strikers. Machida is all 3 and has been training every aspect of MMA for decades. His Sumo training, combined with his Karate, and his JJ, he was basically training for contemporary MMA 10 years before UFC 1.

Rashad, on the other hand, is an amazingly explosive athlete. He is hardworking, and a very intelligent fighter, and has a very strong camp. Hw started as just a wrestler, but has shown amazing progress in his striking game, but his JJ game is fairly suspect. We haven't really seen him do too much off his back.

I'm going with Machida in this one, 2rTKO.
chickmagnet
3/20/09 11:02:13PM
Machida by ko or sub in round 1!!!
mrkennedy
3/20/09 11:22:44PM
if Rashad dont ko Machida will win
JimiMak
3/21/09 6:35:01PM
Rashad has no real shot. Machida is much better in every respect. Another top fighter looks amateurish next to The Dragon.
king_katool
3/21/09 6:40:11PM

Posted by JimiMak

Rashad has no real shot. Machida is much better in every respect. Another top fighter looks amateurish next to The Dragon.

just like he had no shot vs chuck, "chuck has made a career beating wrestlers, evans doesnt have a chance", havent you all learned not to count rashad out, other fights too look at kos he just got KTFO by a newcomer, ANYTHING can happen in the octagon
Tein_Lung
3/21/09 9:30:11PM
i cannot stand rasahd and i think hes gonna get beat like a red headed step child.... but on the other side of things hes prolly going to be a bigger underdog in the fight then Serra was in his first fight with GSP...

by some chance he does win anyone dumb enough to make that gamble could go from rags to riches depending on the odds
JimiMak
3/22/09 2:21:38AM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by JimiMak

just like he had no shot vs chuck, "chuck has made a career beating wrestlers, evans doesnt have a chance", havent you all learned not to count rashad out, other fights too look at kos he just got KTFO by a newcomer, ANYTHING can happen in the octagon

I don't think I ever made a comment like that about Rashad before. I thought he'd lose to Chuck but w/ their respective recent performances I wasn't that surprised. There aren't many fighters that I talk like this about, an I won't do it forever w/ Machida.... BUT w/ him, right now at this point in time I would put my pick/money on Machida against anyone.

AND when you break it down, of course he has the puncher's chance... but beyond that. He doesn't have the headwork, the footwork, the technical striking, the subs.... His wrestling only goes so far when against a JJBB (esp a Nog BB)... where is there a realistic advantage for him?

You don't base a career, nor a bet, around a puncher's chance. He could get the ko, but how many of these "lucky shots" can he get? He's not a great striker, he's just landing good shots at opportune times. I don't see him doing that against Machida, course I'm obviously no claire voyant of mma.
bls1919
3/23/09 7:24:50PM
Machida takes this one all day. Tko rnd 3. He will crush Rashads face as Rashad takes a lazy shot. Evans' footwork is elementary compaired to Lyoto's. Machida will walk circles around Evans to frustrate him and then......boom Evans is sucking dust from the Bud Light/Harley logo!!!!!!!!!!!
king_katool
3/23/09 7:35:06PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by king_katool

Posted by JimiMak

I don't think I ever made a comment like that about Rashad before. I thought he'd lose to Chuck but w/ their respective recent performances I wasn't that surprised. There aren't many fighters that I talk like this about, an I won't do it forever w/ Machida.... BUT w/ him, right now at this point in time I would put my pick/money on Machida against anyone.

AND when you break it down, of course he has the puncher's chance... but beyond that. He doesn't have the headwork, the footwork, the technical striking, the subs.... His wrestling only goes so far when against a JJBB (esp a Nog BB)... where is there a realistic advantage for him?

You don't base a career, nor a bet, around a puncher's chance. He could get the ko, but how many of these "lucky shots" can he get? He's not a great striker, he's just landing good shots at opportune times. I don't see him doing that against Machida, course I'm obviously no claire voyant of mma.

"He could get the ko, but how many of these "lucky shots" can he get?" why are they lucky shots, because it s evans that throws them is it not possible that, thats how far hes come in his training, thats all ive heard since he beat chuck the forrest, lucky this lucky that.........who wants an av bet, just send it to me rashad KO machida in the 3rd or before, rashad is so explosive that i think he can and will be able to close the distance better then any1 machida has faced,(forget soku, rashad is better) plus add on the fact he's going to have greg jackson is his corner, thats a boost to any any fighter regardless of who the fight is between,

PS. NO, i will not be surprised with a machida victory, him and rashad are #1 and #2 IMO and it will be decided in may
AussiePride
3/23/09 8:05:29PM
I dont know who is going to win. I can see Machida Winning Via UD. I think his standup is way better than rashads, rashad doesnt seem to kick a great deal (barring the sean salmon fight) and Machida's standup is awesome. Machida UN
bjj1605
3/24/09 1:19:30AM
I think people are blinded by rashad's recent performances. He's not much of a striker. Forest was killing him on the feet before the knock out. Bisping out struck him. he's improved, but not that much. he's an athlete and a wrestler, thats all. Machida is better in every aspect of the game. He will destroy rashad on the feet and put rashad on his back when he attempts to take it to the ground. I will take any kind of bet for this fight. Its MMA and anything can happen but I've never been more sure of a pick. This fight is not close. It is not an even match. Machida is leaps and bounds above the rest of the LHW division.
Pinkalicous
3/24/09 6:49:34PM
I think that machida is gonna frustrate rashad, he won't be able to take him down, and it will be difficult to hit him. But you cannot count rashad out, he's proving to be a dominate fighter.

I think that this will be a very good fight, but I think that the dragon will come out with the win. I'm gonna say 2nd round tko.
LakieMan
3/24/09 6:56:13PM
Evans by tko I hope!!
KaibaThedon
3/26/09 2:44:45PM
I'll take the Dragon by TKO in round 3.
drunkinirishdungeonmaster
3/27/09 6:08:40PM

Posted by hughesfan1

Yeah but the poll is all about how will machida win. i thought it would be nice 2 have an un biased poll. i did screw up though & clicked 2 early. didnt finish poll all the way out like i meant 2. sorry

looks real unbiased

slapshot
3/28/09 3:23:25AM
I think people are underestimating Evans, I still have Machida squeaking out a decision but this is a close fight that I think Rashad has a legitimate chance at winning.