Rashad Evans 'fully understands' decision to book Jones-Machida UFC 140 headliner

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rashad Evans 'fully understands' decision to book Jones-Machida UFC 140 headliner
Budgellism
10/6/11 4:39:13PM
He may not like the decision, but he understands it.

While Rashad Evans was next in line for a shot at UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones' title, he wouldn't be healed in time for a planned UFC 140 main event on Dec. 10.

So he "fully understands" why the UFC instead went with Lyoto Machida for the Toronto event.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously reported, the UFC initially wanted to put Jones vs. Evans in the UFC 140 main-event slot. But once Evans wasn't cleared to fight, the UFC had to look to Machida, who was one of the few top-level light heavyweights who was both healthy and not already booked for a fight.

Evans (16-1-1 MMA, 11-1-1 UFC), of course, sat out most of 2010 waiting for a title shot with injured Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. But a planned March bout was scratched when Evans suffered his own knee injury, and Jones got the fight and took the title instead.

Evans' bout with the newly crowned Jones then was delayed due to the champ's uncertain timetable for his recovery from a hand injury. Evans instead fought and defeated Tito Ortiz, and the UFC 133 bout left him with a lingering injury. Jones (14-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) instead fought and defeated Quinton Jackson, and he now meets Machida (17-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC).

LINK
Wallass
10/6/11 5:09:00PM
This is a real downer and although I'm not a fan of Jones, props to him for taking a fourth fight in a year. Dude's commited to being the best.
bjj1605
10/6/11 5:52:18PM
Good.

SOOOOOOOOOOO much more excited to see Jones vs Machida than I was for Jones vs Evans.
Lucas
10/6/11 6:01:23PM

Posted by bjj1605

Good.

SOOOOOOOOOOO much more excited to see Jones vs Machida than I was for Jones vs Evans.

Me to I think this is a better and harder fight to call
jay98107
10/6/11 6:29:40PM

Posted by bjj1605

Good.

I agree, mostly because I think it will take a very unique style to defeat Jones, and Machida has probably the most unique style in the division.
Twenty20Dollars
10/6/11 6:52:29PM
I thought Jones was suppose to get some time off, so was suprised to see Jones get a fight before the end of the year.

Although I like the Jones/Machida match, but I don't like to see people get passed over on title shots. Like Rashad(a couple times now it seems), Okami had been passed over, Pettis.
Adrenaline
10/6/11 8:25:22PM
This is from CP's story on this topic

lol. Poor Rashad. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.
Bubbles
10/6/11 8:40:56PM

Posted by Adrenaline

This is from CP's story on this topic

haha nice gif. kinda disappointed its not his fishface
isk
10/6/11 8:58:21PM
Agreed with the above. The drama leading up to the fight is pretty much negated now, but the drama in the actual matchup more than compensates. Machida has arguably the most solid base in MMA - this is a guy with a standard athletic frame who was defending takedowns against traditional sumo wrestlers long before he entered the UFC. Plus he's super quick and excellent at covering distance.

My take on this is a 5-round clear decision for Bones - no doubt when it comes to the scorecards, but I think Machida will be tougher to take down than Rampage was.

And speaking of Rashad's fishface, this one is hard to beat. All credit to him as a fighter, but this is fucking hilarious.

Manak
10/6/11 9:15:50PM

Posted by Adrenaline

Rashad got a crack at the belt and won so he has been the bride
Adrenaline
10/6/11 9:42:52PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by Adrenaline

Rashad got a crack at the belt and won so he has been the bride

Good call, I was more referring to all of his recent "promised title shots" but you are are right, he has been there before.
bjj1605
10/6/11 10:30:52PM

Posted by isk

Agreed with the above. The drama leading up to the fight is pretty much negated now, but the drama in the actual matchup more than compensates.

Very good point.

However I think it was already stale after the first delay. When they met in the ring after the Rampage fight it just seemed so forced. They lost the electricity from before.
xtinax3
10/7/11 11:31:17AM
wow I guess Rashad vs Jones will never happen..every time Jones will win they'll put rashad in the octagon..this is your next fight jones..yah right lol. THough i LIke this match up better...