Rashad Evans Explains "Gesture" During Fight With Griffin

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rashad Evans Explains "Gesture" During Fight With Griffin
Next Page »
Wolfenstein
12/31/08 9:16:59PM
When [Griffin] got off his little flurry on me, and he gave me everything he had, I was like, 'Oh man. I've seen every trick in the book,'" Evans said. "And I knew that there was nothing he could do to really hurt me. I felt all his power, and I was like, 'Man, I've got this. I've got this now.' And I wanted to let him know that [he] can't hurt me. It's going to be a long night from here on out.' It was just a little fun.

link
Jackelope
12/31/08 9:34:38PM
Pretty sure everyone knew that was why he did it. Doesn't change my opinion that it was disrespectful, though.

My main thing isn't the act itself: It's the fact that Forrest was nothing but respectful and then he had to get cocky and be disrespectful right in the middle of the fight.

It doesn't matter, though. Some people like those types of fighters, and others don't. I'm the latter obviously. I just feel that in our violent sport it is even more important than in any other to be respectful. As a homage to the arts martial, and to illustrate for the fans and would-be fans that this is not a sport of violence and disrespect. It is a sport of dedication, self discipline, focused aggression, and deep respect. It is not boxing, it is not human cockfighting. It is the combination of a sharpened mind and body forged into a deadly weapon capable of striking out with deadly accuracy, but also completely controlled by a balanced mindset.

Antics like Rashad's show me nothing of this nature. Fighters like Fedor, Crocop, Noguiera, GSP and Lyoto Machida do. It is the difference between a lifelong martial artist and a guy who thinks he's bad simply because he learned to throw hands and grapple around a bit.

EDIT: And at the root of it all I believe this is why some people long for the days of PRIDE
cmb19932
12/31/08 10:12:55PM
iv seen all he has to offer i have a great idea ill grab my package and blow him a kiss that should convey my point

-oh rashad you slay me
SeanSalmonisGod
12/31/08 10:29:41PM

Posted by Jackelope

Pretty sure everyone knew that was why he did it. Doesn't change my opinion that it was disrespectful, though.

My main thing isn't the act itself: It's the fact that Forrest was nothing but respectful and then he had to get cocky and be disrespectful right in the middle of the fight.

It doesn't matter, though. Some people like those types of fighters, and others don't. I'm the latter obviously. I just feel that in our violent sport it is even more important than in any other to be respectful. As a homage to the arts martial, and to illustrate for the fans and would-be fans that this is not a sport of violence and disrespect. It is a sport of dedication, self discipline, focused aggression, and deep respect. It is not boxing, it is not human cockfighting. It is the combination of a sharpened mind and body forged into a deadly weapon capable of striking out with deadly accuracy, but also completely controlled by a balanced mindset.

Antics like Rashad's show me nothing of this nature. Fighters like Fedor, Crocop, Noguiera, GSP and Lyoto Machida do. It is the difference between a lifelong martial artist and a guy who thinks he's bad simply because he learned to throw hands and grapple around a bit.

EDIT: And at the root of it all I believe this is why some people long for the days of PRIDE

How does Rashad catch so much sh*t for this, but fighters like Tito and Rampage don't get nearly as much sh*t for their trash talking.

Makes no sense to me
TheNatural915
12/31/08 11:14:12PM
Maybe he was trying to be like Apollo Creed
cmb19932
1/1/09 12:26:19AM

Posted by TheNatural915

Maybe he was trying to be like Apollo Creed

ya the only way his impersanation could get any better is if fedor kils him
motorboatensob
1/1/09 12:28:13AM

Posted by SeanSalmonisGod

Posted by Jackelope

How does Rashad catch so much sh*t for this, but fighters like Tito and Rampage don't get nearly as much sh*t for their trash talking.

Makes no sense to me

Lets see talking sh*t and grabing your balls in the middle of a fight is a little different. He said the same old crap about Liddell I took his best shot and knew he couldn't hurt me. Well you took a shot at the end of a punch while you were backing up I don't think that was his best shot plus why did you spent the whole fight running. Also Forrest hasn't knock anyone out so what are your trying to say. "Punk nuff said"
SeanSalmonisGod
1/1/09 12:46:13AM

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by Jackelope

Makes no sense to me

Lets see talking sh*t and grabing your balls in the middle of a fight is a little different. He said the same old crap about Liddell I took his best shot and knew he couldn't hurt me. Well you took a shot at the end of a punch while you were backing up I don't think that was his best shot plus why did you spent the whole fight running. Also Forrest hasn't knock anyone out so what are your trying to say. "Punk nuff said"

Just seems to me that you are still sour about 88.
zephead
1/1/09 1:00:05AM

Posted by Jackelope

Makes no sense to me

Talking smack and grapping your crotch and shaking it another person, yep, all the same
Jackelope
1/1/09 1:59:34AM

Posted by Jackelope

Makes no sense to me

LMAO... apparently you haven't seen too many of my posts describing my feelings for Tito. Disrespect is disrespect in my book, and there are very few exceptions. When it is in response to another's disrespect I'm usually pretty o.k. with it. That's about the only time you'll see me o.k. with any fighter acting that way

jakeiceman
1/1/09 4:35:20AM

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by Jackelope

Makes no sense to me

Just seems to me that you are still sour about 88.

gsquat?
nix7777
1/1/09 1:08:43PM
In a nutshell what made ali great? it was because he was entertaining and he could back up what he said. So until someone shuts him up u cant argue with what he's doing.
coldchillin
1/1/09 1:23:00PM
he backs up his antics... it's in the middle of a fight, he can disrespect the other fighter all he wants, especially if he backs it up.

Rampage won't play that ish though... he won't have the luxury of starting off slow just like he didn't against Tito.
FrankTheTank1181
1/1/09 2:25:46PM
Rashad isn't the first fighter to do this kinda crap and he sure won't be the last.
Sir_Karl
1/1/09 3:10:34PM
Whatever you call it, disrespect, showboating, running your mouth...it isn't cool.
It isn't cool in sports and it isn't cool anywhere else in society either really.
It's cool though...Rashad's day is soon coming.
As soon as Lyoto the Dragon Machida submits Thiago Silva...he is going to do the same to Rashad.

nix7777
1/1/09 3:27:02PM
it would be fun to see rashad do that to lyoto just to see if it would make him engage a little more
Gipper
1/1/09 4:37:53PM
if he keeps kicking everybodies ass he can pretty much do whatever he wants when he wants and there's not a lot anybody can do about it
MikeyG
1/1/09 10:35:03PM
it's obvious that it was intended to mess with forrests' head, it wont gain you too many fans but it worked that night, would it have played out differently without that? who knows, it could've just been a sign of disrespect
wrona666
1/1/09 10:54:55PM
It doesnt surprise me one bit coming from Rashart Evans.....This is the whole reason why i cant stand him as a person or a fighter...
Aether
1/1/09 11:10:46PM
My issue is not just the disrespect part of it (although that's a big part) but also the fact that when he starts showboating, he's almost always losing the fight convincingly. Against Forrest he was getting to the point where his only chance to win was a TKO. Yes he got it, but the ends don't justify the means so to speak. I don't believe that it did anything to frustrate Forrest, I think Forrest is just a sloppy, wide-open striker.

What happens when he fights someone who doesn't hand him their chin on a silver platter and he's dancing when he's down two rounds to none? In my mind the situation is the same regardless of the outcome. You just ate 9 shots to the head, you're losing the fight to the point where you need a stoppage to win, and you're dancing because you think that's a good thing? I just don't get it. It's nice that you can take damage but unfortunately judges don't really consider "damage absorption" very high on the list when they're scoring the fight.

I just think it's really stupid to implement a strategy where you get out-pointed and depend on a single method of victory. In my mind a true champion doesn't limit himself that way. Of course you should look to finish the fight, but you should also try to win the fight so that when you are unable to finish your opponent you still have a chance to win the decision, I don't see him being able to do that with anyone at the top of the division, he doesn't really have the tools to outpoint most of the top10 and most of them will defend significantly better than his last 2 opponents. Against Chuck and Forrest he was in a situation where it was score a KO or lose the fight, I just don't see how you put yourself in that position and then brag about it.
bls1919
1/2/09 11:03:01AM

Posted by nix7777

In a nutshell what made ali great? it was because he was entertaining and he could back up what he said. So until someone shuts him up u cant argue with what he's doing.

PLEASE dont ruin Ali's name by pairing him with Rashad. That said it was way over the line. Trash talking outside of the cage or on the radio/magazine/internet is way different. I for one dont see the reason for any of it, but that is beside the point. They arepro fighters act like it
Darnok
1/2/09 11:33:12AM

Posted by Aether

It's nice that you can take damage but unfortunately judges don't really consider "damage absorption" very high on the list when they're scoring the fight.

I agree. Oh and nice post.
telnights
1/2/09 2:55:56PM
Well the reason I have a problem with it is we as fans want MMA to become a main stream sport. The old school people will remember the dark days of MMA when we weren't sure if MMA in the US was going to be around much longer. You don't see football players, Basket Ball players, or Baseball players doing what he did on TV without getting fined. Now I don't have a problem with some showboating but that was just plan childish and tasteless. Plus he wasn't even close to winning the fight at the time. Even in the gym if he did something like that I would tell him to take a break and if he did it again he would be asked to leave. MMA is a sport of respect and honor. That was the last thing Rashad was showing in there.
JimiMak
1/2/09 4:01:39PM
I cant believe ppl are still talking about this. It happens in all sports all over. It doesn't hurt mma going mainstream. Athletes are occassionally showboaters, alert the news. Athletes sometimes get arested oh noes. Who cares? Honestly.
mentalcase
1/3/09 12:10:33AM

Posted by JimiMak

I cant believe ppl are still talking about this. It happens in all sports all over. It doesn't hurt mma going mainstream. Athletes are occassionally showboaters, alert the news. Athletes sometimes get arested oh noes. Who cares? Honestly.

totaly agree who gives a shit man

if rashad wants to grab his balls, showboat, talk smack or whatever, fu*ken good for him do what ever u want. i find all this stuff entertaining

im just glad this sport exists and these guy put it all on the line for our entertainment, and we wanna bitch about him cause he touched him self during a fight
im touching my self right now lets start a thread on that
tmas
1/3/09 7:39:40AM
it wasnt disresectful at all. Grow up stop holding grudges because someone you dont like is the BEST....the CHAMP as i stated he would a year ago.
tmas
1/3/09 7:45:46AM

Posted by Aether

My issue is not just the disrespect part of it (although that's a big part) but also the fact that when he starts showboating, he's almost always losing the fight convincingly. Against Forrest he was getting to the point where his only chance to win was a TKO. Yes he got it, but the ends don't justify the means so to speak. I don't believe that it did anything to frustrate Forrest, I think Forrest is just a sloppy, wide-open striker.

What happens when he fights someone who doesn't hand him their chin on a silver platter and he's dancing when he's down two rounds to none? In my mind the situation is the same regardless of the outcome. You just ate 9 shots to the head, you're losing the fight to the point where you need a stoppage to win, and you're dancing because you think that's a good thing? I just don't get it. It's nice that you can take damage but unfortunately judges don't really consider "damage absorption" very high on the list when they're scoring the fight.

I just think it's really stupid to implement a strategy where you get out-pointed and depend on a single method of victory. In my mind a true champion doesn't limit himself that way. Of course you should look to finish the fight, but you should also try to win the fight so that when you are unable to finish your opponent you still have a chance to win the decision, I don't see him being able to do that with anyone at the top of the division, he doesn't really have the tools to outpoint most of the top10 and most of them will defend significantly better than his last 2 opponents. Against Chuck and Forrest he was in a situation where it was score a KO or lose the fight, I just don't see how you put yourself in that position and then brag about it.

What fight were you watching? Forrest lost the 1st round, came out with a flurry in the 2nd gave rashad everything he had tried his hardest to finish him and didnt even hurt Rashad. (Even got a broken hand in the process)....i would have done exactly what Rashad done as a fighter i know when someone unloads on you like that they think they are finishing, and winning, and you look them dead in the eye send a message na man you aint got shart i took that and im fine bring me more...Rashad was winning the fight not Forrest...
SeanSalmonisGod
1/3/09 12:17:47PM

Posted by telnights

Well the reason I have a problem with it is we as fans want MMA to become a main stream sport. The old school people will remember the dark days of MMA when we weren't sure if MMA in the US was going to be around much longer. You don't see football players, Basket Ball players, or Baseball players doing what he did on TV without getting fined. Now I don't have a problem with some showboating but that was just plan childish and tasteless. Plus he wasn't even close to winning the fight at the time. Even in the gym if he did something like that I would tell him to take a break and if he did it again he would be asked to leave. MMA is a sport of respect and honor. That was the last thing Rashad was showing in there.

Gotta love the blind hate
telnights
1/3/09 1:45:21PM

Posted by telnights

Gotta love the blind hate

How was what I said blind hate?
telnights
1/3/09 1:50:23PM
I going to lock this topic as well as I don't want this turning in to another troll fest like it is already.
Pages: [1] 2