Rashad Evans: "I'm not one of the Machida naysayers"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Rashad Evans: "I'm not one of the Machida naysayers"
betii
2/5/09 10:19:27AM
New interview with Rashad Evans.

His thoughts on Machida...

"I thought he had an excellent performance. I’m not one of the Machida naysayers. I always felt that he had skills. We took flack for pretty much the same thing. He was called a boring fighter and so was I, but I think he’s starting to come into his own and he’s doing what he can do. He’s dangerous. I’m starting to see this dude and I’m like, 'This guy is a lot better than we thought.' Now fighters are confused and they don’t know what to do."

On GSP...

"Instead of just saying it, thinking it or doing it sporadically, he will do it every day. You do little things like that all of the time, you start to chip away at becoming the best you could be and then, pretty soon, the gap between you and the guy that’s behind you is so far, it sneaks up on you. It’s like, 'I didn’t even know I was this far ahead of the competition.' He does all of the little things. He hangs out and has a good time, but he doesn’t party and use hard drugs. He takes care of his body and he respects his body. He doesn’t overindulge in too much of anything. He has fun after his fights. He will probably hang out for maybe 3 or 4 days and next thing you know, he’s in Brazil or New York City with Phil Nurse; somewhere learning."

On BJ Penn...

"I love BJ Penn man. BJ Penn is probably my favorite fighter. He pitted himself in an awkward corner. He came out of character because the person you saw on those countdown shows, that’s not BJ at all. BJ is the kind of dude that shows you so much love. BJ is one of those people that when he asks you how you’re doing, he really wants to know how you’re doing. He’s not saying it as a conversation piece. He looks you in your eyes and gives you a hug when he greets you. He shows that kind of love and respect. So to see him like that, maybe that’s why he was a little bit cloudy because he knows he really wasn’t true to himself the whole time. It may have taken a lot out of him mentally. It’s tough to go in there knowing you weren’t true to yourself from the beginning."

On meeting Mike Tyson...

"I was like, 'Man!' I couldn’t believe my eyes. That’s when it comes to you and you realize what you’re doing in life. Moments like that show you how far you have come in life and how different your life is now. This is something I used to imagine. I’m standing in a room with Mike Tyson; somebody I grew up watching on TV. It was just a few years ago where I was mesmerized by him and I never thought I would be in the same room as him. It’s crazy just to know that…that’s how big this sport has gotten. Being in this sport when it wasn’t that poppin’ and now it’s like Mike Tyson is watching and he knows who I’m fighting. He knows who I’m fighting."

A lot more in the full interview:

RASHAD EVANS: "I'M NOT ONE OF THE MACHIDA NAYSAYERS"
grimreaper
2/5/09 12:05:47PM
I really think Rashad is Machida's bad match up remember Sokoudjou hit Machida with a good right hand with his explosiveness Rashad is maybe more explosive plus Rashad is a counter fighter so he won't be suckered into his game Machida will have to prepare for both the takedown and the devastating strikes something that his opponents have not presented
burton
2/5/09 12:20:29PM
Man I hope Rashad wins this fight, or his next fight cause their gonna challenge him.
casey64
2/5/09 12:23:00PM
Go Rashad he better be ready.
State_Champ
2/5/09 1:10:49PM
I hope Rashad loses real soon.
However, until he does actually lose I will be picking him to win!
Rashad Evans is an animal.
casey64
2/5/09 1:45:40PM

Posted by State_Champ

Why do you want him to lose then?
gsquat
2/5/09 2:06:27PM

Posted by casey64

Posted by State_Champ

People are overwhelmed by the inexplicable disre to hate Rashad. They claim it's because of his cockyness and antics in the octagon, but when Forrest flips his opponents corner the finger they like him more. Or when Randy couture spanks his opponent during a fight they laugh and through that gain admiration for him. People don't hate Silva for doing the same "head bobbing" thing against Rich as Rashad used to do.

The actual problem is he's not the champion people envisioned and hoped for. And after spending so long telling themselves and others that he's overrated and and will get KTFO if he fights Liddell, they can't get themselves to admit they were wrong about him. So now they've been submitted to saying yeah he's good, but I still don't like him. They're clinging and hoping for the day Rashad loses, while at the same time being forced to recognize his talent.

On topic, he's been very aware of Machida's threat. That would lead me to believe that, once again, he and team Jackson will come up with a gameplan to take Machida out. All Rashad has to do it pull through.
Pookie
2/5/09 4:26:02PM

Posted by grimreaper

I really think Rashad is Machida's bad match up remember Sokoudjou hit Machida with a good right hand with his explosiveness Rashad is maybe more explosive plus Rashad is a counter fighter so he won't be suckered into his game Machida will have to prepare for both the takedown and the devastating strikes something that his opponents have not presented

What round? because i remember thinking during that fight that sokoudjou didnt land one single meaningful shot.
cmill21
2/5/09 4:32:55PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by grimreaper

What round? because i remember thinking during that fight that sokoudjou didnt land one single meaningful shot.

And I don't think anyone is more explosive then Soko in round one.
tlangley
2/5/09 9:47:09PM
My two favorite fighters are Rampage and Rashad.

Man I love the LHW division!!!
Wolfenstein
2/6/09 12:26:01AM
Prett good interview by Rashad. Yeah I think a lot of people want to blindly hate on the guy, but he seems like a pretty chill guy and you have to appreciate his drive to improve. I didn't like him for a while, but I'm coming around. He's become a really exciting fighter, and whether it's Machida or Rampage, I can't wait to see him fight again.
inyaface69
2/6/09 10:14:46AM
I'll be honest, i was never really a Rashad fan, and I'm really not now either, but I think he holds the attributes of a true champion. Machida is well deserving of a title shot, and he is a very skilled fighter, but I think What Rashad has to offer is going to be too much for him. Rashad isn't one who's going to play into Machida's game and push too far forward. Rashad picks his shots, and waits for the opportunity, and he will win this title defence.
imanidiot777
2/6/09 10:22:10AM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by casey64

Posted by State_Champ

People are overwhelmed by the inexplicable disre to hate Rashad. They claim it's because of his cockyness and antics in the octagon, but when Forrest flips his opponents corner the finger they like him more. Or when Randy couture spanks his opponent during a fight they laugh and through that gain admiration for him. People don't hate Silva for doing the same "head bobbing" thing against Rich as Rashad used to do.

The actual problem is he's not the champion people envisioned and hoped for. And after spending so long telling themselves and others that he's overrated and and will get KTFO if he fights Liddell, they can't get themselves to admit they were wrong about him. So now they've been submitted to saying yeah he's good, but I still don't like him. They're clinging and hoping for the day Rashad loses, while at the same time being forced to recognize his talent.

On topic, he's been very aware of Machida's threat. That would lead me to believe that, once again, he and team Jackson will come up with a gameplan to take Machida out. All Rashad has to do it pull through.

The problem is his antics are "mock-gangster" antics and that is what we hate. He tries to act like the stereotypical black man that the media forces down everyone's throat when in reality everyone is different and he is obviously not a gangster.
gsquat
2/6/09 10:40:54AM
Another thing people do is find a new reason to dislike him when all others have been exhausted.
grimreaper
2/6/09 12:32:35PM
It was in the beginning Sokoudjou rushed in hit Machida with a good right hand and took him down
Daze
2/6/09 3:39:11PM
Machida is one of my favorite guys in the UFC, Im not a fan of sloppy flat footed backyard brawl striking like clay guidas style.

I like hit and not get hit guys cause its smarter and shows how good your standing technique is.
CwB
2/6/09 4:29:11PM

Posted by gsquat

Another thing people do is find a new reason to dislike him when all others have been exhausted.

I bet half of your total posts have been in defense of rashad.

personally im not a fan or hater of his, but it seems more and more people are jumping aboard his wagon....

before the Forrest fight there where only a few defenders of his now these topics are filled with em...
jocksmall
2/7/09 1:19:45PM
machada continues to impress he rarely even gets hit. his stand up is the best at 205 in my opinion so i guess the question is how will he deal with adversity when he does finally get hit hard?
king_katool
2/7/09 1:33:48PM

Posted by CwB

Posted by gsquat

personally im not a fan or hater of his, but it seems more and more people are jumping aboard his wagon....

before the Forrest fight there where only a few defenders of his now these topics are filled with em...

well i cant tell you that ive been on the wagon a long time, i even picked him to T/KO liddell

WAR EVANS
gsquat
2/7/09 3:22:27PM

Posted by CwB

With all the haters, someone's got to.
the_01
2/7/09 3:59:35PM
Rashaad is great, but I dont think he can pull a win against Machida. Machida is very tactical, and will eventually pull Rashaad into his his game. Id predict a Machida split decision.
anomoly
2/7/09 7:06:26PM
Him vs machida would be an interesting fight... if Rashad is smart enough not to "go after" machida then he will be fine however if not... it wouldn't look good for him..

I hope to see that fight soon. Rashad is an awesome fighter.
gsquat
2/7/09 8:02:42PM

Posted by anomoly

Him vs machida would be an interesting fight... if Rashad is smart enough not to "go after" machida then he will be fine however if not... it wouldn't look good for him..

I hope to see that fight soon. Rashad is an awesome fighter.

Problem is, I'm having a hard time picturing what the fight would be like if neither was the aggressor. What a weird matchup.
bls1919
2/8/09 8:32:12PM
You wont have to worry long. Rashad will get tired of laying back, and try a lazy shot and get KOd in the 3rd. Unlike Rampage , Forrest and soon to be Rashad, Machida will reign at the top of the LHW division for a long time.