"rare" submission videos

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » "rare" submission videos
wickerman
9/12/08 2:03:25PM
I came across a video that had some subs listed that i have either never seen or heard of. They were listed on a "rare submissions of mma" video, but i couldn't get it to work. Does anyone have links to videos of these fights, or at least these submissions?
thanks,
wickerman

Dokonjonosuke Mishima vs. J.Wiseniewski (Cobra Hold)
Carlos Newton vs. Pat Miletich (Bulldog Choke)
Rumina Sato vs. M.McAuliffe (Calf Slicer)
Rani Yahya vs. Kazuya Yasuhiro (Brabo Choke)
postman
9/12/08 4:29:10PM
I do not but I have been put in a claf slicer before
Svartorm
9/13/08 1:40:10AM
Not sure what a cobra choke is, although I know I've heard of it, and its usually called something else.

A bulldog choke is basically a side headlock where you're choking the guy. Wade Shipp took out Tiki with one as well.

Calf slicer is a "pain hold" thats actually illegal in most forms of grappling and/or fighting because it can actually severely injure a person. You basicaly stick your shin behind a guys knee, angle your shin into his calf, and compress the joint in some way, usually when the guy is on his stomach. It hurts like you wouldn't believe.

Brabo choke is another name for a D`arce Choke. Kendall Grove beat Alan Belcher with one, which should be an easier fight to find than the one listed. I think Chael Sonnen beat someone with one as well.
jiujitsufreak74
9/13/08 1:32:06PM
Cobra Hold (Mishima) (for the cobra hold, you clutch the head and then pull the foot toward the head from a side mount. This puts pressure on the knee causing pain.)

D'arce Choke/Brabo Choke

Sato's Calf Slicer

Bulldog Choke

wickerman
9/18/08 9:59:52PM
Thanks for the explanations.
I new the darce, never heard brado before though.
Jackelope
9/19/08 1:55:27AM
Only one I'd never seen was the Cobra hold. That's pretty cool. Almost looks like a far side bow and arrow (minus the head in the ribs obviously) I'd like to get put in one some day that way I can know what it feels like

Calf slicers hurt like hell, but they're fun as hell to lock in on someone. A great calf slicer set up is to sweep with X guard then pass the leg moving in to the calf slicer. It's highly satisfying

The D'arce... well.. it speaks for itself. One of the greatest and most underutilized submissions in the game.
The-Don
10/12/08 12:35:12PM
yea.. I like the darce now that I know how to do it properly... it is something I am going to make sure it is in my move list.
gartface
10/12/08 12:45:04PM

Posted by Jackelope
The D'arce... well.. it speaks for itself. One of the greatest and most underutilized submissions in the game.

I agree man. It seems like people are in the position for it so much when they're sprawling, but never can execute it. I feel the same about the anaconda choke, there are so many people who sprawl and defend takedowns that look like they're in perfect position to try to lock up an anaconda choke, but never try.
Anyone remember what Bas Rutten fight it was when he submitted the guy with the "human pretzel" submission?
The-Don
10/12/08 12:48:20PM
i watched the clip of the cobra.. I could not make out what he did.. nor could I on the claf slicer... well I got new moves to ask about in class though.
Jackelope
10/12/08 1:16:51PM

Posted by The-Don

i watched the clip of the cobra.. I could not make out what he did.. nor could I on the claf slicer... well I got new moves to ask about in class though.

Here's a simple way to tell what a calf slicer is like (although about a 1,000X less painful)

Get on your knees with your feet behind you almost as though you're posturing in somebody's guard. Take a knuckle, lean back over your right shoulder and place that knuckle on the back of your leg at the low point of where your calf ends. It should be about a 1/2 of the way travelling up from your foot to your knee. Once your knuckle is there dig it deep into the tissue there and feel the pain.

This is basically what someone is doing to you when they put you in a calf slicer. Except instead of a knuckle digging in there it is the blade portion of their shin, and while they're pushing that in they're pulling up on your feet to increase the pressure about a million fold. Calf slicers hurt. like. hell.
MFOTHER
10/12/08 1:47:17PM

Posted by Svartorm

Not sure what a cobra choke is, although I know I've heard of it, and its usually called something else.

A bulldog choke is basically a side headlock where you're choking the guy. Wade Shipp took out Tiki with one as well.

Calf slicer is a "pain hold" thats actually illegal in most forms of grappling and/or fighting because it can actually severely injure a person. You basicaly stick your shin behind a guys knee, angle your shin into his calf, and compress the joint in some way, usually when the guy is on his stomach. It hurts like you wouldn't believe.

Brabo choke is another name for a D`arce Choke. Kendall Grove beat Alan Belcher with one, which should be an easier fight to find than the one listed. I think Chael Sonnen beat someone with one as well.

do you mean lytle on tiki? or did wade shipp do it as well?