Raptors offer Steve Nash 3year/$36M

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Raptors offer Steve Nash 3year/$36M
prophecy033
7/1/12 6:59:46PM
The Toronto Raptors have offered free agent point guard Steve Nash a three-year, $36 million contract, according to sources.

Nash, a two-time NBA MVP, has spent the past eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns, but has made it a point in recent interviews to stress that he's "open to everything" and says he'll listen to any team that calls.

However, industry sources monitoring the free-agent market have identified Toronto as one of four teams that pose the greatest danger to the Suns in terms of signing Nash away, including the Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks and Brooklyn Nets.

Sources close to the process said Nash met with Knicks representatives on Sunday and that the Nets have requested a meeting with Nash and will speak to him Monday morning.

Link
BuffaloDave
7/1/12 7:21:27PM
Probably the most money Nash will be offered, as most of the contenders won't be able to offer as near as much as that. Raptors definitely could get some value out of a trade for Calderon.

Budgellism
7/1/12 7:48:08PM
I'm down for this
prophecy033
7/1/12 8:56:31PM
I think the money would be better used with gaining younger talent. Unless of course they just intend on selling tickets with no help for Nash. They could get 2-3 quality guys for $12 million combined
Shawn91111
7/1/12 9:21:15PM

Posted by prophecy033

I think the money would be better used with gaining younger talent. Unless of course they just intend on selling tickets with no help for Nash. They could get 2-3 quality guys for $12 million combined

Agreed. They need to get younger not older, regardless of the talanet even at this stage of his career Nash brings.
frizzzlecake
7/2/12 12:37:31AM
Honestly Steve Nash won't leave PHX for money, he doesn't come off greedy to me. He leaves PHX for a championship contender me thinks.
Shawn91111
7/2/12 10:01:04AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Honestly Steve Nash won't leave PHX for money, he doesn't come off greedy to me. He leaves PHX for a championship contender me thinks.

Money always comes into play, regardless of how a person seems. He left Dallas for Phoenix for more money.
george112
7/2/12 10:11:56AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by frizzzlecake

Money always comes into play, regardless of how a person seems. He left Dallas for Phoenix for more money.

Gotta agree.

However i don't think the raptors or the suns will be contenders any time soon.

If he wants to make a run for a championship he needs to play hardball and get on a roster where he can come off the bench and make an immediate impact
prophecy033
7/2/12 11:01:33AM

Posted by george112

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by frizzzlecake

Gotta agree.

However i don't think the raptors or the suns will be contenders any time soon.

If he wants to make a run for a championship he needs to play hardball and get on a roster where he can come off the bench and make an immediate impact

He needs to start based on the pressure he puts on the defense alone
Bubbles
7/2/12 11:39:26AM
This would put the Raptors even further back than where they are now. I am not a fan of this signing if it were to happen (who wants a 40 year old starting PG?). They don't have a young PG Nash can mentor (Bayless is already set in his style) and the contract handicaps them from bringing in any other big free agents.

Sure they can trade Calderon for a good scoring SG (which they desperately need), but I don't see Nash's high flying, fast break style working at all with Casey's defense first style. Nash needs a free flowing, offensive minded team to succeed...the Raptors are not that...plus Nash is a bigger liability defensively than Calderon
frizzzlecake
7/2/12 4:16:02PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by frizzzlecake

Yes be he also started his career in PHX. Money plays it's roll, but Nash is 38 and the only thing he hasn't done in his NBA career is get a gold ring. I think that would drive him more at this point in his career.

He met with New York i'm sure they would give him a paycheck and the NBA Playoffs.
Bubbles
7/2/12 10:23:24PM

Posted by frizzzlecake
Yes be he also started his career in PHX. Money plays it's roll, but Nash is 38 and the only thing he hasn't done in his NBA career is get a gold ring. I think that would drive him more at this point in his career.

He met with New York i'm sure they would give him a paycheck and the NBA Playoffs.

He hasn't even played an NBA final game. Toronto definitely won offer him that. New York has a chance at least. I'd love to see him in OKC to keep Westbrook from handling the ball so often. I'm surprised the Lakers haven't really been mentioned in the Nash sweepstakes...Nash + Kobe + Bynum sounds like a pretty legit big 3
Gogoplatapus
7/3/12 1:11:07AM
I cant blame Nash if he turns this down. Truth be told Id rather him win a ring somewhere then see him finish his career with the Raptors.
Shawn91111
7/3/12 8:17:41AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by frizzzlecake

Then why even meet with Toronto if a ring is his goal?
Bubbles
7/3/12 5:06:34PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Then why even meet with Toronto if a ring is his goal?

to please the Canadian fans and Basketball Canada (of which he is the GM for). It also can drive up the price for him to sign elsewhere
Boo_Radley21
7/4/12 4:42:50PM
Bring him to T.O so he can make a big scene and leave like every other free agent. What ever happened to Mugsy Bogues
Bubbles
7/4/12 5:27:08PM
I think Shawn Bradley stepped on him thinking he was an ant