UFC 80 "Rapid Fire" 19th JANUARY - Fight Card Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 80 "Rapid Fire" 19th JANUARY - Fight Card Discussion
« Previous Page | Next Page »
POLL: Who wins the 2 BIG fights?
BJ Penn and Gonzaga 60% (72)
Stevenson and Werdum 5% (6)
Stevenson and Gonzaga 18% (22)
BJ Penn and Werdum 17% (20)
Riggeee
12/21/07 12:22:26PM
dont base Werdum on his last fight with AA people!!!
Werdum is a very dangerous ground fighter and is now with chute boxe dont be suprised if he hangs with gonzaga on the feet and takes the UD
but im still going with gonzaga....lol
Purge
12/24/07 10:11:36AM
I've got Gonzaga and Penn
monogl
1/2/08 10:02:42PM
BJ has to be the clear favorite against Stevenson but his matchup with Sherk whenever it may come should be interesting, granted of coure that he beats Big Daddy who's no pushover but still isn't at BJ's level.
CornishMMA
1/7/08 8:31:05AM

Posted by monogl

BJ has to be the clear favorite against Stevenson but his matchup with Sherk whenever it may come should be interesting, granted of coure that he beats Big Daddy who's no pushover but still isn't at BJ's level.

But how can BJ beat Daddy before the later rounds where he will gas?
Can BJ finish Daddy standing??? I dont think so tbh
Can BJ sub Daddy from his back??? more likely but BJ will likely sprawl for the 1st few rounds

Im just getting less and less confident in BJ and thinking that 2008 may start off with an upset to carry on the trend
therionace
1/8/08 4:00:32PM
some really good matchups on this card. bj by way of tko (strikes). gonzaga by ko. grove by submission after they exchange on the feet for a couple of rounds. davis by ko. i look for sakara to bounce back after his loss against alexander, and out box his opponent. and i'll take sam stout to ko eklund.
the_01
1/10/08 1:21:10PM
Why is BJ Penn and Stevenson fighing for the Intrum title, how did they rank up this high, and when??

How about Roger Huerta and Kenny Florian, those should fight for the title, I think they are the top 2 at this division.

By the way, what ever happened to Sean Sherk ?
Pookie
1/10/08 2:36:42PM

Posted by the_01

Why is BJ Penn and Stevenson fighing for the Intrum title, how did they rank up this high, and when??

How about Roger Huerta and Kenny Florian, those should fight for the title, I think they are the top 2 at this division.

By the way, what ever happened to Sean Sherk ?

Sherk is suspended for steroids.

Huerta ranked above penn?
huerta has faced mediocre competition, and against his first real challenge he was losing every round before he caught guida. the man can do nothing on his back and his sprawl isnt that great. Almost every contender in the LW division is an amazing wrestler too, so the higher he goes up the latter the fights will get exponentially harder for him.

BJ penn is ranked so high because he beat hughes, and almost beat st. pierre(both humoungous for 170) while he was a good 10-15 pounds overweight. Naturally Bj says he walks around at 190, and hes fighting at 155! I dont see how someone can lose all that weight and not be in top shape. Figure in that out of shape he was beating legendary WW's. At 155 he should be a beast.
DevonFoxy
1/10/08 10:40:56PM
BJ Penn vs Joe Stevenson??

BJ "Juggernaut" Penn

CornishMMA
1/11/08 8:38:07AM

Granted BJ only has 1 fight recently against Pulver but it just depends on how you grant title shots - based on pure talent and skill level then BJ deserves it undoubatly - but if you base it on what they have done in the division then yes either Kenny or Huerta would deserve his spot - Daddy deserves it imo, 4 wins over quality opponents (better than Huertas)
DevonFoxy
1/11/08 9:14:32PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Granted BJ only has 1 fight recently against Pulver but it just depends on how you grant title shots - based on pure talent and skill level then BJ deserves it undoubatly - but if you base it on what they have done in the division then yes either Kenny or Huerta would deserve his spot - Daddy deserves it imo, 4 wins over quality opponents (better than Huertas)

Agreed but I think soon Frankie Edgar should get a fight with Huerta. Then they get the next title shot after sherk.
GraMMA
1/14/08 10:52:22PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by monogl

But how can BJ beat Daddy before the later rounds where he will gas?
Can BJ finish Daddy standing??? I dont think so tbh
Can BJ sub Daddy from his back??? more likely but BJ will likely sprawl for the 1st few rounds

Im just getting less and less confident in BJ and thinking that 2008 may start off with an upset to carry on the trend

I agree and am expecting some upsets for this card;which in some sense aren't that big of upsets.I'm going with Joe and Werdum.
CornishMMA
1/15/08 8:39:13AM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by CornishMMA

Agreed but I think soon Frankie Edgar should get a fight with Huerta. Then they get the next title shot after sherk.

No way bud, ok Edgar beat Fisher but that shouldnt hold that much water what with his wrestling weakness, theres no way you can rank Frankie above Kenny imho

Is anyone going to do a crazy parlay wager with this event? imo Jess, Jorge, Per and Daddy could all win and with them on a parlay with $500 on would win you ................. wait for it ...................... $249187
CornishMMA
1/15/08 2:31:04PM
For any UK members that like Daddy in this fight, you can get 6/1 (+600) odds on skybet.com for him to win by decision OR 11/8 odds on BJ to win in rounds 1-3
Pookie
1/15/08 9:28:44PM

Posted by CornishMMA

No way bud, ok Edgar beat Fisher but that shouldnt hold that much water what with his wrestling weakness, theres no way you can rank Frankie above Kenny imho

What about Tyson Griffin, whos strength is wreslting? He handily beat him.

Kenny is good dont get me wrong, but lately he has been fighting worse competition then what he should be. Alvin Robinson? C'mon now.

I do have Frank Edgar ranked above Kenny Florian
THE_DRiZzLE
1/16/08 1:49:42AM
if there's one thing i have learned this past year.. it's never a hands down win for anyone.. no matter what your name is.. it's one thing to think some ones gonna win a fight.. but to go as far as to say this guy or that guy in no way will loose.. well is just not the case any more.. imo this has been the year of the upsets.. and imo it's just the beginning.. cuz of all the growth of the sport, which has led to an overwhelming abundance in fighters and talent.. thus you never know.. what's on paper just doesn't seem to hold the same any more.. i find it harder and harder to pick a favorite these days.. and i'm probably not alone.. with this said.. i have Joe Stevenson over BJ Pen.. now i know BJ by many is hands down gonna end Stevenson.. but BJ has been here before and i just don't believe it means as much to him as much as it does to Stevenson.. i don't buy this hole legacy spiel by BJ.. like he really cares so much more about it now than before.. what's that? just my opinion.. on the other hand.. Stevenson has what it takes to punish BJ.. he also has impressed me as of late.. and imho this title shot means way more to him than BJ.. and I feel we'll see the best Stevenson ever up to this point.. I see Stevenson overwhelming BJ if it goes past the 2nd & 3rd rounds.. now i have GG over Werdum.. many people believe he got owned by Randy.. i'm not sure what fight you saw but i remember it a lot differently.. Gonzaga landed many clean blows that most fighters would have just went tiiiimmmber.. Randy's the man and over came these.. but imho if Gonzaga wouldn't have broken his nose by accidental head to head contact.. this fight would have turned out way differently.. Werdrum doesn't impress me much and the win he had over GG was ages ago and on short notice for GG.. i feel GG will literally break him apart and rather quickly.. and i'm so sick of people trying to take away from GG stellar KO over CC.. lol.. you know what.. he dominated that fight up to that point and finished it beautifully.. i'm sorry if CC is your boy.. but that's how the sport goes.. anything can happen and will happen.. just cuz CC got tagged badly does not mean it was a fluke.. give credit where it's dew.. a fluke? that argument then could be applied to every ko/submission win ever.. that's what MMA is all about.. how about CC lost cuz GG straight knocked his ass out cuz GG saw him coming @ him with his hands down.. look @ the fight.. it's right there..
keith-hackney1
1/16/08 11:02:51AM

Posted by THE_DRiZzLE

if there's one thing i have learned this past year.. it's never a hands down win for anyone.. no matter what your name is.. it's one thing to think some ones gonna win a fight.. but to go as far as to say this guy or that guy in no way will loose.. well is just not the case any more.. imo this has been the year of the upsets.. and imo it's just the beginning.. cuz of all the growth of the sport, which has led to an overwhelming abundance in fighters and talent.. thus you never know.. what's on paper just doesn't seem to hold the same any more.. i find it harder and harder to pick a favorite these days.. and i'm probably not alone.. with this said.. i have Joe Stevenson over BJ Pen.. now i know BJ by many is hands down gonna end Stevenson.. but BJ has been here before and i just don't believe it means as much to him as much as it does to Stevenson.. i don't buy this hole legacy spiel by BJ.. like he really cares so much more about it now than before.. what's that? just my opinion.. on the other hand.. Stevenson has what it takes to punish BJ.. he also has impressed me as of late.. and imho this title shot means way more to him than BJ.. and I feel we'll see the best Stevenson ever up to this point.. I see Stevenson overwhelming BJ if it goes past the 2nd & 3rd rounds.. now i have GG over Werdum.. many people believe he got owned by Randy.. i'm not sure what fight you saw but i remember it a lot differently.. Gonzaga landed many clean blows that most fighters would have just went tiiiimmmber.. Randy's the man and over came these.. but imho if Gonzaga wouldn't have broken his nose by accidental head to head contact.. this fight would have turned out way differently.. Werdrum doesn't impress me much and the win he had over GG was ages ago and on short notice for GG.. i feel GG will literally break him apart and rather quickly.. and i'm so sick of people trying to take away from GG stellar KO over CC.. lol.. you know what.. he dominated that fight up to that point and finished it beautifully.. i'm sorry if CC is your boy.. but that's how the sport goes.. anything can happen and will happen.. just cuz CC got tagged badly does not mean it was a fluke.. give credit where it's dew.. a fluke? that argument then could be applied to every ko/submission win ever.. that's what MMA is all about.. how about CC lost cuz GG straight knocked his ass out cuz GG saw him coming @ him with his hands down.. look @ the fight.. it's right there..

Have you ever seen werdum fight in pridefc ?? he went the distance with noguiera and recently beat Aleksander Emelianenko. he's no slouch guys !!??
CornishMMA
1/16/08 11:36:55AM
I cant read that, stop skipping english class

Yep the win over Tyson was good but i just think Kenny has more overall better fights in the UFC to rank him higher what with hanging in with Sherk and subbing guys like Stout and Mishima, Edgar is only 3-0 Kenny is 6-2, and actually Robinson is a very strong guy and nearly as gooder wrestler as Edgar so i think that win is worth something, hopefully they will fight next and we shall see
CornishMMA
1/16/08 11:40:45AM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Have you ever seen werdum fight in pridefc ?? he went the distance with noguiera and recently beat Aleksander Emelianenko. he's no slouch guys !!??

But dude GG beat the #2 HW, and all rankings have him above Werdum since then, from pure skill in each main area GG should be the clear favourite and he will show why, i know Werdum has sick BJJ but Manbearpig wont succumb to a sub and will dominate Werdum to a decision, IMO
Pookie
1/16/08 3:09:18PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by keith-hackney1

But dude GG beat the #2 HW, and all rankings have him above Werdum since then, from pure skill in each main area GG should be the clear favourite and he will show why, i know Werdum has sick BJJ but Manbearpig wont succumb to a sub and will dominate Werdum to a decision, IMO

Manbearpig
Although Gonzaga is more like a Pigmanbear
CornishMMA
1/17/08 6:44:51AM
spot the difference

GG aka manbearpig

He will dominate Werdum, there may be a worrying moment of a near sub but GG will win a handy 30-27
CornishMMA
1/17/08 11:56:35AM
For any UK members you can now bet on ALL the fights on skybet.com, some good odds!

Penn BJ 1/3 (but 11/8 on a stoppage in rds1-3)
Stevenson J 9/4 (but 6/1 on a decision win!!!)

Gonzaga 3/10
Werdum 9/4

Grove 1/4
Rivera 11/4

Gouveia 8/11
Lambert evens

Liaudin 9/4
Davis 2/7

Lee 5/4
Sakara 4/7

Eklund 9/4
Stout 2/7

Hardonk 4/11
Robinson 15/8

Taylor 1/2
Kelly 3/2

For the yanks benefit i will explain how the odds work, basically the first number is what you win if you put the last number on them, so using Kelly as an example, if you put 2 on him you win 3
THE_DRiZzLE
1/17/08 12:08:43PM

Posted by CornishMMA

spot the difference

GG aka manbearpig

He will dominate Werdum, there may be a worrying moment of a near sub but GG will win a handy 30-27

that's to funny.. lmfao..
highdesertmma
1/17/08 8:08:58PM
Stevenson and Lambert. I'm always for the local guys.

www.highdesertmma.com
CornishMMA
1/18/08 6:57:57AM

Posted by highdesertmma

www.highdesertmma.com

LOL i didnt know they were Geordies

Final guesses for other things people?

FOTN?
KOTN?
SOTN?
UPSETOTN?
Pookie
1/18/08 7:17:58AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by highdesertmma

www.highdesertmma.com

LOL i didnt know they were Geordies

Final guesses for other things people?

FOTN?
KOTN?
SOTN?
UPSETOTN?

FOTN - Bj Penn
KOTN - Davis
SOTN - James Lee
UPSETOTN - Per Eklund
CornishMMA
1/18/08 7:30:55AM
Yep they sound good, but id maybe give Jess the S/KOTN and UPSETOTN as i can see him upsetting Davis! Either with his sick kocknoxing **EDIT LOL LOOK AT THAT TYPO! should be "kickboxing" ** (headkick ko anyone?) or his better BJJ (armbar right backatch )

BJ VS Daddy is the guaranteed FOTN imo, it will go long and be very exciting, BJ will find it hard to hit Daddy with his good head movement, and very hard to sub him! Daddy wins a close decision i say

This whole event wil be the night of upsets - i know im going out on a limb with that but im actually picking 3 big underdogs (eklund, jess and daddy) - i either start off the new season really well or really badly, yep, im gutsy
DCRage
1/18/08 12:26:43PM
Here are the official results from the UFC 80 weigh-ins:
Everyone made weight.
BJ Penn (154) vs Joe Stevenson (154)
Fabricio Werdum (247) vs Gabriel Gonzaga (255)
Jess Liaudin (170) vs Marcus Davis (169)
Wilson Gouveia (205) vs Jason Lambert (204)
Jorge Rivera (185) vs Kendall Grove (186)
Antoni Hardonk (244) vs Colin Robinson (238)
Paul Kelly (170) vs Paul Taylor (170)
James Lee (206) vs Alessio Sakara (206)
Per Eklund (155) vs Sam Stout (155)
bassgodace
1/18/08 8:28:10PM
i got my bet in on joe daddy hes go thtis i brt on betus 500 bones on him at +230
CornishMMA
1/19/08 11:42:28AM
Im surprised at the lack of love for this card! Such competative fights would of sparked more discussion here i thought

Oh well, after seeing how well BJ has trained im LESS confident in daddy but im not gonna change my pickor wager, BUT I am more and more confident in Jess, i think Marcus is overconfident and Jess's kickboxing will play into the fight, as will his better BJJ, armbar 2nd round methinks

Im pumped for this event, not often we brits get to watch an event live without crappy adverts inbetween, plus the geordie crowd are going to be crazy, if you see any topless ones brandishing special K boxes and screaming about the messiah returning then dont worry, its just the fact that Kevin Keegan as returned as their football manager
RedCloud
1/19/08 3:39:35PM
Bj Penn
by "boston crab"
first round.
Pages: 1 [2] 3