UFC 80 "Rapid Fire" 19th JANUARY - Fight Card Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 80 "Rapid Fire" 19th JANUARY - Fight Card Discussion
Next Page »
POLL: Who wins the 2 BIG fights?
BJ Penn and Gonzaga 60% (72)
Stevenson and Werdum 5% (6)
Stevenson and Gonzaga 18% (22)
BJ Penn and Werdum 17% (20)
CornishMMA
11/3/07 2:42:59PM
UFC 80 - 19th JANUARY - NEWCASTLE, ENGLAND - LIVE 7pm GMT SETANTA SPORTS - AIRING LIVE AND ON TAPE DELAY ON US PPV

MAIN EVENT

(11-4-1) -345 BJ -VS- Stevenson +325 (28-7)

MAIN CARD

(9-2) -300 Gonzaga -VS- Werdum +280 (9-3-1)

(9-4) +185 Gouveia -VS- Lambert -200 (23-6)

(8-4) -410 Grove -VS- Rivera +370 (14-6)

(13-3) -440 Davis -VS- Liaudin +400 (12-8)

PRELIMINARY FIGHTS

(9-3) +235 Robinson -VS- Hardonk -255 (5-4)

(11-6) -180 Sakara -VS- Lee +170 (13-2)

(12-3-1) -440 Stout -VS- Eklund +400 (12-2-1)

(8-2-1) -315 Taylor -VS- Kelly +290 (6-0)

MMAPLAYGROUND WAGERS ODDS

Joe "Daddy" Stevenson +325

BJ "The Prodigy" Penn -345

Wilson Gouveia +185

Jason "The Punisher" Lambert -200

Fabricio Werdum +280

Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga -300

Jess "Joker" Liaudin +400

Marcus "The Irish Hand Grenade" Davis -440

Jorge "El Conquistador" Rivera +370

Kendall "Da Spyda" Grove -410

Per Eklund +400

Sam "Hands of Stone" Stout -440

Colin "Big C" Robinson +235

Antoni Hardonk -255

Paul Kelly +290

Paul Taylor -315

James Lee +170

Alessio "Legionarius" Sakara -180

CornishMMA
11/3/07 2:56:19PM
I hope my poll stays relevent this time around! cant see the CC fight becoming a bigger HW fight tbh as GG is much more relevant in the title picture
cmill21
11/3/07 3:05:14PM
Been told CC won't be fighting until at least feruary.
hotrodttt
11/3/07 3:18:11PM
Heres my break down

Gonzaga vs Werdum - Last fight was about 4 years ago and Gonzaga took it on short notice. It will not be the same fight as last time it will be a lot closer and I see Gabe taking the UD

Penn vs Stevenson - Bj outclasses Joe in everything except wrestling, I see Bj taking his back in the 2nd round and tapping Joe.

Etim vs Stout - Etim has a great ground game and Stout has a pretty bad one, they are pretty much equal on the feet so I see Etim taking a 2nd round arm-bar.

Grove vs Jorge - Jorge has been out for a while and Kendall is very long so I see Jorge clinching with him and catching a couple knees to the face. So Kendall by 2nd round T(KO).

Jess vs Marcus - Marcus has great boxing so I see him T(KO) ing Jess in the 1st.
NatedawgThaM
11/3/07 3:53:33PM
Joe Stevenson bdef. BJ Penn by 3rd rd. TKO, BJ has had only one fight down at 155, he has pretty bad conditioning, he only really got motivated fo rthe Jens fight because he wants to avenge that loss, I can only see him get that motivated against Hughes a 3rd time and GSP a 2nd time. Joe is a monster and I think he will push BJ to his limit and stop him eventually in the middle rounds of the fight

Gonzaga def. Werdum by 2nd rd. TKO since AA on a Bad day picked him apart

Kendall Grove def. Jorge Rivera by 1st rd. TKO unless Jorge tags Goves weak chin like Cote did then Jorge by KO..

Terry Etim by 1st rd. Sub since Stout has no ground game and I see him going down easy and early and being tapped.

Marcus Davis def. Jess by 2nd round TKO, I see this being a good old fashion brawl and Davis puttin him in a bad spot in the 2nd and stopping him..
JuggaloWarrior878
11/3/07 4:57:32PM
this card is shapin up nicely. i didnt know cro cop was rumored for this card. excited to see marcus davis fight, that guy's ruthless i got bj and gonzaga
chickmagnet
11/3/07 5:32:41PM
I see Penn getting the sub. in the 2nd, Stevenson has got great wrestling
but his bjj and his striking are nowhere near BJ's, BJ should batter Joe in the first with strikes then a well set up submission in the 2nd.

I think Gonzaga with the KO, Werdum has been working on his striking but
GG has big KO power, Gonzaga is goin to want to stand and bang it out, he shouldn't want to take this to the ground because I think Werdum has the advantage there. GG took the first meeting on short notice and still made
it to the third round, plus GG is much improved from back then. Gonzaga with the first round KO.

I think Grove's conditioning is very good, so i think he'll take this by a U. Decsision, Rivera has had some time off so he will have trained hard, he could win this if he winged a wild punch and caught Grove on the button,
Grove by a convincing U.D.

Who ever Cro Cop fights I am sure he will do good, he should be pissed enough to let it all hang out and not be tentative in the cage, whoever his opponent is Cro Cop by KO
mrsmiley
11/3/07 9:00:00PM
I think CC should move down to light heavy weight and see how he fairs in that weight division. He's been great fighting at heavy weight in the past,but I think a drop might prove to work out for the better at this stage in his career.
MMA
11/3/07 11:54:23PM
Arg, it is so depressing watching Cro Cop fight.
prozacnation1978
11/4/07 1:22:09PM
good card
didn't know about cro cop fighting??
are u sure he is??
i thought he would fight in feb,
what are the chances of this event being on spike tv
knowing that the feb 3rd card is a pay per view and also dec 29th.
CornishMMA
11/5/07 8:02:13AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

good card
didn't know about cro cop fighting??
are u sure he is??
i thought he would fight in feb,
what are the chances of this event being on spike tv
knowing that the feb 3rd card is a pay per view and also dec 29th.

Well its a RUMORED card, and while February may have been stated by him in some artciles this event is just 11 days shy of february so .......... and the UFC like to have interntional fighters fight here

Im going to put this out here as i see it as very likely providing they get the contract dispute sorted -

CC -VS- AA - the battle of the abbreviations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would either build CC straight back up with a win over the former much loved champ OR it would show ring rust doesnt stop the pitbull and take him right up into title contention, 2 losses in a row or not CC is still a top 10 HW

This event is shaping up surprisingly nicely, hope the Davis Jess fight opens the show as that will be BANGING, im surprised at how good they are making this event as its a shitty lil small areana that only holds 11,000 people, i imagine those fights already rumored will turn out to be the main card and another few weaker fights will be announced as prelims

Other possible fighters on this card would be - Gleison Tibau, and i hope they have Paul Taylor fighting on this card, no shame in his loss to Davis so i hope they have him fighting a mid level WW on this card, may i suggest Luke Cummo!!!
Walker
11/5/07 2:13:26PM
This is looking a cracking little show, with it being about 90 minutes away from me I'm going to head up for it.

Joe/Bj should be a brilliant little fight.

Gonzaga/Werdum intruiges me a lot.

I can't wait to see how Kendall bounces back from defeat and It'll be great to see Cro Cop live especially if he gets back to his best.
cmill21
11/6/07 4:24:00PM

Posted by MMA

Arg, it is so depressing watching Cro Cop fight.

I agree. I hope he fights like he can again. Also just heard that Ben Rothwell declined his option with IFL and may be coming to the UFC to fight....Cro Cop.
Stickan
11/6/07 8:21:48PM
Actually Sam Stout is fighting my boy Per Eklund and not Terry Etim. Tough debutfight for Per but hopefully he can get Sam to the ground and submit him.

source
CornishMMA
11/7/07 12:22:55PM
great news, tho i hope Etim does still fight on this card!

Per is one of the best unknown fighters, i posted a nice HL vid of his in the video section so check it out

I didnt think they would bring Hardonk back but he makes a good fight for Big C (who very nearly beat Eddie Sanchez if i remember rightly!).

Great to see Taylor back but i dont know his opponent, Kelly is 6-0 with 4 TKO wins and 2 subs, hasnt fought any real competition though and Taylor will likely be too much for him
CornishMMA
11/7/07 12:50:58PM
Oh and LOL at the mod who felt the event name was so important it required it editing into the thread title specially

Sadly there will be no Cro Cop on this card as the 2 main event fights have been announced as the 2 listed, i will add the picture i got from a ufc email
AKA711
11/8/07 12:07:50AM
bj penn is the best 155 in the world
cmill21
11/8/07 12:32:29AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Oh and LOL at the mod who felt the event name was so important it required it editing into the thread title specially

Sadly there will be no Cro Cop on this card as the 2 main event fights have been announced as the 2 listed, i will add the picture i got from a ufc email

Thank god, I didn't think there was any way in hell he was going back to england lol.
CornishMMA
11/9/07 9:13:31AM
yeah dude he couldnt of been loving the idea if they wanted him too, its much better thathe wil lbe back in the USA to fight on the superbowl card, shame he aint fighting Lesnar but im sure he will fight a good opponent on that main card, maybe it will be AA by that time having sorted his contract

This main card is already full by my reckoning!
prozacnation1978
11/10/07 7:14:41PM
cro cop will fight in feb watch maybe against andre or vera
kevietre
11/19/07 12:24:44PM
Stevenson will pull off the upset and Gonzage will beat Werdum.
Stickan
11/19/07 5:34:45PM
It's Eklund bro and here are two pictures to include.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
CornishMMA
11/20/07 9:31:37AM
Stupid me putting "Ekland" instead of "Eklund" eh

Thanks for the pics though i tried looking for some but had no luck
Riggeee
11/24/07 7:06:46PM
theres one more fight that they are adding but what will it be???
keith-hackney1
11/25/07 4:48:09PM
so far, this card is off the chart, cant wait. Hopefully i will be at ufc 80, be good to meet gabe gonzaga !!!
CornishMMA
11/26/07 12:54:28PM

Posted by Riggeee

theres one more fight that they are adding but what will it be???

well cro cop seems to think he is going to be fighting in January, i still think early February and a return to Vegas would be better for him, just a shame he cant fight Lesnar on that card but *crosses fingers frank mir gets injured so cc can replace him*
Franklinfan47
11/29/07 11:39:20PM
For anyone whose interested, they've posted several matches to the official ufc 80 card over on ufc.com including stout vs ekland, sakara vs lee, taylor vs kelly and newly added, Lambert vs Gouveia

WAR LAMBERT!
CornishMMA
12/4/07 7:40:20AM
Yeah thats great news, ive been desperate for that fight ever since it got postponed at ufc 76, but Gouveia will win for sure, better striking and i dont think Lambert will take him down, if he does he could even get subbed by Wilson

Great fight tho and it better had be on the main card! *EDIT* it is, we have 3 main card fights official and 3 prelims official
Franklinfan47
12/18/07 11:58:00AM
The entire official card for this and the next fight night have been posted on ufc.com. Check it out!
Webbie
12/20/07 2:45:52AM
This card looks great.

I’m going with Gonzaga and Penn, both via unanimous decision, though I wouldn’t be a bit disappointed to see both fights get finished

Should be one hell of a show.
Pages: [1] 2 3