Rankings

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Rankings
codyq
2/9/10 9:11:36PM
This is for all you posters that use rankings as a defense mechanism to prove who is a better fighter in all your debates.

Here Eddie Alvarez puts it best:

"I think rankings are just a way of negotiating money for yourself, it doesn’t mean you can beat everyone else that’s below you. It’s just kind of a scoring system it doesn’t mean that you’re a better fighter that you’re a better fighter than anyone that’s lower or higher than you, it’s just a way of categorizing us."

postman
2/9/10 9:35:44PM
Not to many guys on this site put much stock in rankings.
sclasclemski
2/9/10 10:10:44PM
I think they are fun...but besides the top guy usually the bottom 2-5 are pretty much interchangeable and the same goes with 6-10 and so forth....
sbulldavid
2/9/10 10:50:23PM
Dana White doesn't care about rankings , sometimes , that is a good thing. I disagree with Randy getting so many title shots , but I understand how Rampage , Henderson , and Shogun got rushed in . Machida deserved a shot much sooner but he still hadn't beaten anybody that had power and a complete game until he beat Rashad .

My point with Randy is that he gets title fights based on being competitive. If Shogun defeats Machida , Randy has a real good chance of holding Shogun against the fence for five rounds. I think Machida is the more difficult match for him. He should have to beat Rampage or Rashad or somebody in the top 5.
State_Champ
2/9/10 10:59:34PM

Posted by sclasclemski

I think they are fun...but besides the top guy usually the bottom 2-5 are pretty much interchangeable and the same goes with 6-10 and so forth....

I also think they are fun.
codyq
2/9/10 11:01:38PM

Not to many guys on this site put much stock in rankings.

Oh good. Yeah I am a frequent member on CBSsports.com and thats all they ever refer to, it gets old after a while.
telnights
2/9/10 11:06:09PM
Just because you don't agree with rankings or what they are there for doesn't mean they don't have reason. You will find most people on here don't make their choices based on rankings. But with that said rankings still have a reason and place in MMA .
codyq
2/10/10 12:03:36AM

Just because you don't agree with rankings or what they are there for doesn't mean they don't have reason. You will find most people on here don't make their choices based on rankings. But with that said rankings still have a reason and place in MMA .

I think they should stay with rankings with-in each organization, but world rankings cannot be accurate.
telnights
2/12/10 1:55:30PM

Posted by codyq
I think they should stay with rankings with-in each organization, but world rankings cannot be accurate.

I will say again just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean they don't have their place in MMA even outside of organizations.
State_Champ
2/12/10 2:23:40PM
Also, I like to see people's favorite fighters, and the rankings are an easy way to find out. It is not necessarily any one specific person's favorite fighter(s) that interests me but just any one's choices in general are fun to see.
codyq
2/12/10 5:14:33PM

I will say again just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean they don't have their place in MMA even outside of organizations.

Thanks for that man, REALLY.

You have changed my ways now.

BECAUSE of you.

MAN......how'd you do it?!?!?!
RhythmAndStyle
2/12/10 5:53:13PM
i don't care to much for rankings..since every site that i look at,the rankings are always gone be different..i don't take em' too personally..and i don't cry bout this guy being higher than this guy..and the only reason i do "my fighter ranking" is for sh*t and giggles..tbh i think it's funny when people get mad bout fighter a being higher than fighter b..lmfao...
telnights
2/14/10 3:48:24PM

Posted by codyq
Thanks for that man, REALLY.

You have changed my ways now.

BECAUSE of you.

MAN......how'd you do it?!?!?!

If you goal was sarcasm you haven't chosen the best person on the forums to be sarcastic to . Rankings are there for many reasons and no one is saying base your picks off of them but that doesn't mean they aren't good for something. Lot of people base their rankings off how they feel where that fighter stands at in the world of MMA and everyone is different. It also shows you other peoples views on fighters. On top of that it also lets you know who that person thinks who should be fighting who. Rankings also gives you a lot of insights to other people and sometimes fighters. Some people's rankings will even show them fighters they didn't even know about. Take Fedor for example, in the US only your hardcore fans knew who he was for a long time and because of rankings a lot of fans have found out who he is. So not only is it good for the fighters but also helps educate fans.

My goal of my first two post wasn't to explain why rankings have their place, but to make you understand your point of view of things was not the end all of views of rankings.
mkiv9secsupra
2/14/10 6:32:33PM
imo, i think the only useful point of rankings now is to determine who's next up for a title shot or who is close. Like Alvarez said, its just a way to organize the fighters. Personally i dont like the way it is, i think the #1 fighter doesn't necessarily have to be the title holder, but that is just the way things are.
mrsmiley
2/14/10 6:45:34PM
I don't think their pointless,but I do think they get too much stock.
I do believe they do give as somewhat accurate list of the best in a certain weight class,but to go one to ten is really interchangable is a lot of situations.
codyq
2/14/10 9:37:52PM
Thats great n all but take Brock for instance, hes ranked number 2 in the world. I should not go any further into a detailed explanation. That is absurd. I will rank him # 2 in the UFC ONLY cause he has the belt, I rank Dos Santos higher, even Carwin OR velasquez you could rank higher than Lesnar in the UFC. Like I said before, rankings need a place, but how can you throw up WORLD rankings??? I completely agree with ranking with-in organizations, I see that as being fair enough.

You dont see that NBA champions being ranked as number 1 in the world, they are ranked # 1 in the NBA. How can they be ranked in the world when they don't compete on a world wide scale.

Also, soccer can be ranked on a worldwide scale, cause they have THE UEFFA Champions league, where the top 3 or 4 teams in each League in the whole world compete in 1 league (CHAMPIONS LEAGUE) and the winner of that is declared the best in the world, rankings come amongst the champions league. MMA should do this.
codyq
2/14/10 9:39:49PM
135- Brian Bowles
150-Jose Aldo
165-BJ Penn
180-GSP
195- Anderson Silva
215- Gegard
235-Fedor
265-Lesnar

Go with the Dream ring with the red white and blue ropes/white Canvas
Call the organization Strikeforce
Bas Rutten/Joe Rogan Announcers
Air ALL events on CBS or ESPN or FOX or NBC
At the end of the year on new years eve hold like a superbowl event called the ultimate Fighting Championships AIR it on PPV where the champions face off to see whos the best. So the match ups would be 135 vs 150-so do a catchweight of 142 or 143 lbs. Then keep going in order. So at the end of the night we can declare 4 champions and they will hold that title for a year until its time to go again but in between that year they fight in their normal weight classes and do what they usually do. There will still be title belts on the line just wont be like the ultimate fighting championships on new years eve.

New years eve match-ups

Brian Bowles vs Jose aldo @ a catchweight of 142 or 143 lbs.
Bj Penn vs GSP @ a catchweight of 172 or 173 lbs.
Anderson Silva vs Gegard @ a catchweight of 202 or 203 lbs.
Fedor vs Lesnar @ a Catchweight of 250 lbs

At the end of the night their will be 4 winners.

ALSO. I know MMA is very difficult on deciding who is the best so I came up with another Idea. If you all watch soccer worldwide, I like the way they do things, cause there are tons of different leagues and divisions. Soooo....

How bout at the end of the year. they take the top 2 fighters from each division in each of the major organizations sooo......

Bellator 2
DREAM 2
STRIKEFORCE 2
UFC 2

So take 2 fighters in each weight class from each organization and have a champions organization that technically is a year long tournament. @ the end the champions of each weight class stay in this organization to chllenge the new crop that comes through. so heres how it would look. Ill just concentrate on the lightweight division. So we will keep all the organizations going while this division is in play, run each organization as is. so at the end of each year december 31st tally the top ranked fighters in each weight class and pick 2. we are doing the lightweight division sooo.

Bellator
1.Eddie Alvarez
2. We'll just say Joachim Hansen

DREAM
1. Shinya Aoki
2. Tatsuya Kawajiri

Strikeforce:
1.Gilbert Melendez
2. KJ Noons

UFC
1. BJ Penn
2. Frankie Edgar

Also if you do it like this, a lot of fighters will not want to fight in ONE competitive organization cause it will lessen their chance of getting to the Champions division, so all of these organizations will be pretty even now.

So now that we have our pool. the lightweight division for the whole year will compete in a tournament. So it only takes 2 fights to get to the title fight, making a total of 3 fights/year, about normal. So who ever is the champion of this division at the end of the year STAYS. The next year each organization will have been competing the year that the champions division was going. The runner up in each division of the champions division gets to stay as well and the other 4 get demoted back to their respected organizations and a new pool of fighters come in. so we will have the champ in each organization (Bellator,DREAM,Strikeforce. and UFC) locked into the tourney now, this will all repeat itself at the end of the year and keeps going and going. That way we have ONE declared champ for each weight class and thats ALL the rankings should be.

Play all the organizations (Bellator,DREAM,Strikeforce, and UFC) on ESPN and have the champions division aired on PPV.
telnights
2/15/10 1:39:44PM

Posted by codyq

Thats great n all but take Brock for instance, hes ranked number 2 in the world. I should not go any further into a detailed explanation. That is absurd. I will rank him # 2 in the UFC ONLY cause he has the belt, I rank Dos Santos higher, even Carwin OR velasquez you could rank higher than Lesnar in the UFC. Like I said before, rankings need a place, but how can you throw up WORLD rankings??? I completely agree with ranking with-in organizations, I see that as being fair enough.

You dont see that NBA champions being ranked as number 1 in the world, they are ranked # 1 in the NBA. How can they be ranked in the world when they don't compete on a world wide scale.

Also, soccer can be ranked on a worldwide scale, cause they have THE UEFFA Champions league, where the top 3 or 4 teams in each League in the whole world compete in 1 league (CHAMPIONS LEAGUE) and the winner of that is declared the best in the world, rankings come amongst the champions league. MMA should do this.

Just so I understand this your saying you disagree with rankings because you don't agree where some fighters are ranked. Also this isn't soccer or the NBA. I could also point out basketball is mainly a North American sport and is not very big outside of North America. If you want to compare boxing has rankings and doesn't matter what promotion you fight under.

Now to make my point even more just from your post I can see what your view of Brock is because of where you feel he should be ranked.
karn501
2/15/10 2:05:43PM
I don't like brock either but he is #2 he destroyed mir after mir did something no one has done by stopping Big Nog(regardless what his health was it still happened) I know you shouldn't use MMAth but in my book that puts you ahead of everyone (if fedor wasn't around)
codyq
2/15/10 2:10:46PM

Just so I understand this your saying you disagree with rankings because you don't agree where some fighters are ranked. Also this isn't soccer or the NBA. I could also point out basketball is mainly a North American sport and is not very big outside of North America. If you want to compare boxing has rankings and doesn't matter what promotion you fight under.

I just dont understand if you chose not to read my posts, but I do believe in ranking with-in each organization. NOT WORLD RANKINGS. Brock is of course ranked, but IMO - ONLY IN THE UFC.

UFC rankings TOP 7

1. Dos Santos
2. Lesnar
3. Carwin
4. MIR
5. NOG
6. Velasquez
7. Gonzaga

Top 7 in strikeforce

1. Fedor
2. Allistair
3. Rogers
4. Arlovski
5. Werdum
6. Lashley
7. Antonio Silva

Top 7 in DREAM/Sengoku/OTHER

1. Barnett
2. Aleksander
3. Jeff Monson
4 Sergei Kharitonov
5. Dave Herman
6. Blagoi Ivanov
7. Tim Sylvia

I feel its necessary to rank in each organization, just that WORLD rankings are not substantial.

ALSO, Basketball is one of the biggest sports in the world, it is the fastest growing sport on a world wide scale and has been over the last 10-15 years. USA is ranked number 2 behind Argentina in the FIBA Rankings. Do you even watch basketball?

CwB
2/15/10 5:58:40PM
Its been said before many time but, since it fits this topic so perfectly, I will say it again...

Rankings are like A**H****, everyone has there own and they all stink.

MMA rankings are never accurate, as most fighters can be interchanged up or down 3 or 4 spots, but they do provide a general consensus of top fighters. (If you took everyone's top ten they would all be basically the same with maybe a few difference in fighters and position ranked. So I like em.
telnights
2/17/10 6:53:53PM

Posted by codyq

I just dont understand if you chose not to read my posts, but I do believe in ranking with-in each organization. NOT WORLD RANKINGS. Brock is of course ranked, but IMO - ONLY IN THE UFC.

I feel its necessary to rank in each organization, just that WORLD rankings are not substantial.

ALSO, Basketball is one of the biggest sports in the world, it is the fastest growing sport on a world wide scale and has been over the last 10-15 years. USA is ranked number 2 behind Argentina in the FIBA Rankings. Do you even watch basketball?

I did read your post but your trying to compare something that has no relation to MMA other than they are both sports. That's fine if you think you need to rank by org but that's not how most do it or will ever do it. Would it be better if I said you disagree with world rankings because you don't agree where some fighters are ranked? I find it funny you quoted world basketball rankings in your post but disagree with world rankings. BTW Basketball is not near the money making machine outside of North America. Now it maybe growing in South America but that doesn't mean it is a world power sport.