UFC Ranking System?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC Ranking System?
Stills79
7/13/07 7:01:58PM
Why doesn't the UFC use a ranking system to schedule fights? Why do we continue seeing guys get shots at titles we've never heard of or have seen maybe once or twice? This past fight for Silva was stupid! How did Nate Marquardt deserve a title shot?? The UFC puts these guys in there IMO to lose to setup other money making fights. No way Dana or anyone else can justify Nate getting a title shot last UFC.
richieb19
7/13/07 7:05:33PM
Although I agree a ranking machine would make things fair, the truth of the matter is that the marketing machine takes care of who fights who... I'm honestly pretty surprised that Marquardt got a title shot to be honest...

EDIT: I just realized you didn't want Nate to get a title shot!!! Can I ask why? He won 4 in a row and beat down 3 great WW fighters... You're logic of having a ranking system would have put him in line for sure... I was saying I was surprised they gave it to him seeing as most of his fights went un-aired.
grappler0000
7/13/07 7:36:42PM
Out of curiosity, who do you feel would have been better suited for a title shot?
Stills79
7/13/07 8:12:41PM

Posted by grappler0000

Out of curiosity, who do you feel would have been better suited for a title shot?

Rich Franklin. Why does Matt Hughes get a shot so quick after beating only lytle by decision? Rich had to beat MacDonald and Okami. Rich shouldn't have had to fight his last fight. This fight should have been his. Although I wouldn't have a problem with it if Hughes had to go through another man before getting his shot again. Just seems there is no rhymn or reason to any of the selections. I understand it's a business, but I don't like it. Maybe it's because I hate Hughes so much to, lol. I don't know, maybe I'm looking too much into it and I do agree Nate deserved it I guess, just not before Rich deserved his shot.
richieb19
7/13/07 8:16:09PM
Okami / Franklin was for a title shot... and so be it for me to say but a win over Doerkson, Salaverry and Lister (and Wallace) are more important than a single win over MacDonald...
cmill21
7/13/07 8:26:32PM
I'm glad Rich acctually had to earn a title shot, he fought Mcdonald and Okami, both pretty good. and as for Nate, he earned his shot. I don't like how hughes "earned" a title shot. I feel it should be him and GSP instead of GSP vs. Koscheck to see who gets to fights Serra. The UFC's way of setting up fights is trash, but it won't change.
grappler0000
7/14/07 1:11:18AM

Posted by Stills79

Posted by grappler0000

Rich Franklin. Why does Matt Hughes get a shot so quick after beating only lytle by decision? Rich had to beat MacDonald and Okami. Rich shouldn't have had to fight his last fight. This fight should have been his. Although I wouldn't have a problem with it if Hughes had to go through another man before getting his shot again. Just seems there is no rhymn or reason to any of the selections. I understand it's a business, but I don't like it. Maybe it's because I hate Hughes so much to, lol. I don't know, maybe I'm looking too much into it and I do agree Nate deserved it I guess, just not before Rich deserved his shot.

I think Rich wanted a couple of fights before a rematch...even more so than the UFC did...and beyond Rich, there was nobody else ready for a shot other than Nate.
JunCTion
7/14/07 1:26:44AM
Did AA have a warm up match or did he get an immediate shot at tim. I forget
R-Bandd
7/14/07 3:10:37AM
I would like to have a more transparent ranking system. Like useing Chess ranking and win streak or something that. That way it just does not feel like Dana's boys get hooked up and everyone else just gets...... well you get the point.
Rush
7/14/07 9:17:25AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the UFC awards title fights for ex-title holders based on their contracts as well. If they lost their title and have one or two fights on their contract, you can bet they'll get a shot more quickly that someone with 4 or more fights left on their contract.
postman
7/14/07 9:46:19AM

Posted by cmill21

I'm glad Rich acctually had to earn a title shot, he fought Mcdonald and Okami, both pretty good. and as for Nate, he earned his shot. I don't like how hughes "earned" a title shot. I feel it should be him and GSP instead of GSP vs. Koscheck to see who gets to fights Serra. The UFC's way of setting up fights is trash, but it won't change.

But then if GSP would win then he gets a title shot off of one win so it should be Kos and Matt not GSP and Matt in this thinking.
johny_rotten
7/14/07 10:13:51AM
I hate Matt Hughes more than anyone out there, but he didn't even need to fight Lytle before he earned a title shot. We are talking about Matt Hughes. Two time WW champ. His 15 wins in the UFC is the most of any one to compete in the UFC.

As far as the ranking system goes. It would be great in theory, but doesn't work in combative sports. There are too many x-factors that come in to play like, getting the fighters to agree to fight each other, fan interest, injuries, scheduling conflicts, and so on. The UFC isn't like the NFL where no matter who is playing 10 million people are going to tune in.The UFC needs to put fighters in the octagon that the public care about, while still keeping it some what fair.
Rush
7/14/07 3:35:36PM

Posted by johny_rotten
His 15 wins in the UFC is the most of any one to compete in the UFC.

Before long that will be irrelevant.
postman
7/14/07 7:08:31PM
yeah but he right as of now. I heard a interview with Mike Goldburg and he was saying before the chuck rampage fight that if Chuck lost he would be the first to get a shot to get the title back but it appers they are not too concerned with tenure of the champ.