Ranking A Losing Fighter Higher? by Rob Sieradzki

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Ranking A Losing Fighter Higher? by Rob Sieradzki
Rabi
3/28/12 11:20:33AM
Can you rank a losing fighter higher than the guy who beat him?
On first thought the obvious answer is “No” that would be silly, but on thinking about it, there must be a period of time when the answer can be “Yes”

For example Matt Hughes lost to Dennis Hallman in 17 seconds in the first fight and then 20 seconds in their second fight. However Matt Hughes was ranked No 1 for a long period of time where as Dennis Hallman was not even top 10 but had convincingly beaten Matt Hughes twice (so was obviously the better fighter).

MMAMental
Pookie
3/28/12 7:00:13PM
Oh yeah, i do so all the time. Sometimes you have to when there's a Rampage/Rashad/Machida triangle.

Thats why i rank in according to subjective criteria like Skill, as opposed to Objective Criteria such as statistics.

I still won't acknowledge that Diego or Shields beat Kampmann. To me the guy's on a 6 fight win streak.
infestructure
3/28/12 10:01:05PM
I'd say Hallman is better suited to fighting Hughes, rather than being a better fighter. Some fighters just have your number, even if everyone else has theirs.

Hallman is more skilled than Hughes, when fighting Hughes, but I would rank him beneath, due to competition faced in the past.
Budgellism
3/29/12 12:31:19AM

Posted by Pookie
I still won't acknowledge that Diego or Shields beat Kampmann. To me the guy's on a 6 fight win streak.

Same here. I have Kampmann knocking at the top 5's door because I don't consider him losing those fights.
tcunningham
3/29/12 2:13:00AM
the LHW's really make it difficult. also the LW's do too, since there are so many top level guys and some have lost and then gone on a winning streak after. in other words, YES to your question
Spanglepants
4/1/12 8:20:42PM
i tend to look at it as anything that happened over 2 years ago is ancient history and holds no bearing on current rankings.

otherwise you'd be able to make an argument that ryo chonan should be on the top 15 or 20 middleweights in the world for beating anderson silva and brian ebersol as a top contender since he beat hallman, who beat hughes, who beat serra, who beat gsp.