Ranking the depth between the UFC weight divisions

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Ranking the depth between the UFC weight divisions
ricoj3323
9/28/08 3:10:17AM
In my opinion heres how the weight divisions in the UFC rank by depth.

1. Light- Heavyweight: No surprise here, with the likes of forrest, rampage, machida, Wanderlei Silva, well the list goes on and on, this division is pretty much stacked with talent from top to bottom

2. Welterweight: following in a close second would be this division with GSP, Alves, Fitch, Kos, Sanchez, this division is still pretty stacked and can no doubt be number one too

3. Middleweight: This is a controversial pick because alot of people would have put the lightweight division in this slot but this division has went from thin to stacked with Anderson Silva, Soon to be Paulo Filho, Nate Marquardt , dan henderson, micheal bisping and Demian maia

4. Lightweight: This division doesn't impress me much because there are alot of up and comers with nate diaz, frankie edger, maynard, jim miller, mac danzig, huerta and a few contenders like tyson griffin, shrek, kenflo, guida

5. Heavyweight: Last but not least there is this division and this division is still trying to establish itself, The return of randy did help things with this division by adding him among the few legit heavies such as werdum, big nog and there is alot of fighters in this division who still have to prove themselves such as brock lesnor, shane carwin, frank mir, kongo and cain Velasquez.

How would you rank them??
cmb19932
9/28/08 12:28:11PM
i put it like this

light heavy
middle
welter
heavy
light
JohnnyNapalm
9/28/08 12:32:31PM
Whoa - not a lot of love for the little guys even though that's where some of the more entertaining fast paced fights are found. I realize that's not the criteria for this thread's subject but I wonder if folks aren't a little biased because it's "the little guys".

Boxing has the same problem, people prefer and follow the heavier weight divisions usually starting at middleweight and up.
jae_1833
9/28/08 2:30:26PM
I got them as such:
LHW, LW, WW, MW and last HW

The LHW div is just so contested that there really isn't any comparison IMO....however I think that the little guys are definately next in line just because BJ Penn is to me still a questionable champ....he goes cold a lot in his past and is not focused on his title right now....he is looking at GSP! WW has a dominate champ to be sure, but everyone else is highly competitive, as compared to MW where the champ just appears to be completely unbeatable at this time. HW.....look to Affliction because IMO it is destroyed with only 3-4 contendars left IMO (being NOG, Randy, Werdum, and either Mir or Kongo). All the other HWs are not yet established enough IMO or left to Affliction due to an interest on fighting guys like Rothwell, AA, Barnett, and of course Fedor!
gartface
9/28/08 2:47:38PM

Posted by jae_1833

I got them as such:
LHW, LW, WW, MW and last HW

The LHW div is just so contested that there really isn't any comparison IMO....however I think that the little guys are definately next in line just because BJ Penn is to me still a questionable champ....he goes cold a lot in his past and is not focused on his title right now....he is looking at GSP! WW has a dominate champ to be sure, but everyone else is highly competitive, as compared to MW where the champ just appears to be completely unbeatable at this time. HW.....look to Affliction because IMO it is destroyed with only 3-4 contendars left IMO (being NOG, Randy, Werdum, and either Mir or Kongo). All the other HWs are not yet established enough IMO or left to Affliction due to an interest on fighting guys like Rothwell, AA, Barnett, and of course Fedor!

Great explanation, props my friend.
nickcuc547
9/28/08 3:02:46PM
1. light heavy- division is stacked with every notable name in the game

2. welterweight- same as lightheavy, they have everybody, but sheilds and condit, I would love to see them in the ufc.

3. lightweight- they may not have the top tier guys monopolized but this is a very very deep division with a ton of talent.

4. middleweight- underrated, this divsion has a lot of top talent and a lot of second tier guys that put on great shows and are tough as nails.

5. heavyweight - pretty weak, needs another big name guy, but does have some up and coming talent like lesnar, cawin and velazquez.
cmb19932
9/28/08 3:52:13PM
i like every division and agree that the light guys are fast and very entertaining but right now at this moment the heavys are like my number one division to watch then lhw then mw then lw then ww i know im contradicting myself but after contomplation i thought about title contention and what fights i wanna see at the moment and lesnar couture was/is huge to me mir vs nog again a big exciting fight and then the final outcome of this mini title tournament will no doubt be a huge fight so i am currently liking the heavyweight division then i like lhw because well depth so many great fighter and matches rampagevs wandy forrest vs rashad all lhw are very intresting matchups next i said mw i enjoy this division because a of a guy named silva maybe you have heard of him i love seeing a guy on the top of his game dominate and take on every challenge i also love patric cotes exciting style and that should be a great fight the light weight guys are fun fights to watch wheather there important guys or not because the scrap the have great athletic fights they lose my intrest due to lack of conteders i mean theres a few but other than florian i see no potential champs then theres ww i like them too i like gsp and his dominance but somtimes i think hes too cocky in the end i love every ufc division cause the ufc has the best fighters in the world and it shows in the octogan no division is ever boring for long periods of time

fonduktoe
9/29/08 1:24:22AM
1.lhw (duh)
2. lw
3. mw
4.ww (not enough up and comers right now-dominated by the same few people)
5.hw (duh)
Biggz
9/29/08 2:47:06AM
1. LHW-do i really need to say anything!?

2. LW-i really think you don't have many one dimensional fighters, not many LWs can rely on one knock out punch. i know knock outs happen at LW so dont come at me for that comment, but i think you know what i meant by it, and i think as a whole, it has the most well rounded fighters. Alot of deep talent and it will have alot of deep talent for awhile since its got so many young guys.

3. WW-mostly what everyone else has said, (Gsp, Fitch, Kos, Diego, Alves, Karo ect....)

4. MW-i don't know if this is really not as deep as i or others think, just because its harder to judge the depth of a class when you have one guy who litterally makes everyone he is fighting look like amateurs fighting in their first fight!

5. HW-still think it needs alot of work

ps. just wondering what IMO means.....
cmb19932
9/29/08 9:10:30AM
imo-in my opinion dont worry i was confused at first to but i caught on