Will you rank the winner of Dreams GP #1?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Will you rank the winner of Dreams GP #1?
POLL: What will you rank the winner?
#1 25% (6)
#2 33% (8)
3-5 33% (8)
6-8 0% (0)
9-10 8% (2)
puppetmaster837
3/11/08 4:57:21PM
I actually got this from the poll on sherdog. We all know this upcoming Dream LW GP is incredibly stacked and has half of the top 10 fighting in it. So it is guaranteed whoever wins this will have faced some of the best in the world. But Takanori Gomi and BJ Penn aren't in this grand prix and they are generally considered #1 and #2 in the world. Neither of these guys have faced fighters lately as tough as most of the guys in this tournament though.

I think that whoever wins this does become #1 in the world because they will have had harder fights then the other lightweights as of late. Its the whole beating the best to be the best, and BJ and Gomi havent been doing that lately.

What do you guys think?
grappler0000
3/11/08 5:22:33PM
I have no problem putting the winner at 2 or 3, but I firmly believe the man to beat at LW is Penn.
bullettdodger
3/11/08 5:30:09PM
3-5 I think, it just seems like Sherk or Penn could probably dominate who ever Dreams GP has to offer. Perhaps in time things might even out a bit more... but only time will tell for that.

Edit: Gomi is in the mix again as well so i think he'd somewhere in the top three for me as well... so yeah 3-5
Khaos
3/11/08 5:31:18PM
I'd think they'd be #1, maybe #2(cause of Penn)

Just saying...

I'm taking Joachim Hansen to win the tournement
juanez13
3/11/08 5:36:27PM

Posted by grappler0000

I have no problem putting the winner at 2 or 3, but I firmly believe the man to beat at LW is Penn.

My exact thoughts.
Pookie
3/11/08 5:42:31PM
Gz vs. Aoki is an integral match-up. If the winner of that match wins the whole tournament im ranking them #2.
If kawajiri, ishida, or sakurai win the whole thing and face aoki or GZ in the tourny then i would put them at #2 as well.

And more than likely if even a nobody in this tourny wins the whole thing and faces stiff competition the whole way through then i would possibly put him in the top 3 as well.

IMO gomi and sherk do not deserve the #2 spot.

Sherk has never defeated a top ten fighter, ever.
Toughest competitor he's defeated at Lw is Kenny Florian. and by no means am i beashing him, but he wasnt (and isnt) a top ten LW.

Gomi hasnt looked all that great recently, against ludwig he looked to be getting into top form again but he didnt have to worry about takedowns or subs.
If he can perform at his best against a well rounded fighter then i think a top 3 spot has merit, but until then... no way.
pv3Hpv3p
3/11/08 5:54:35PM
I guess it all depends who wins it...

If JZ wins another tournament, especially one this stacked, I don't know how anyone can say that a guy who beat Kenny Florian and Hermes Franca or a guy who's only [recently] beaten Pulver (a true featherweight) and Stevenson could be ranked over JZ... The guy hasn't lost in almost 4 years and has been fighting good fighters in his weightclass...

I'm not saying Sherk and BJ don't have the skill to be #1, but with having relatively few fights at 155, IMO there are some fighters that have been plugging away successfully at the weight class for years that shouldn't be forgotten...

So to make a long story short...

If JZ or Aoki win it, I won't have a problem ranking them #1...

If a guy like Hanses or Kawajiri wins it... I'd have to move them up to at least top 5 if not top 3...

With the other guys its tough to say... I guess it depends on who they fight in the tourney, etc, but I would have to think that it would mean they crack the top 10
Kpro
3/11/08 6:39:19PM
I would have them at #3 and a bump up to #2 after Penn or Sherk lose. Gomi is no longer in my top 5.

EDIT: as a few others above me have said; of course it does depend on who wins the tourney, as if their resume only includes this tourney, it does not hold the same weight in terms of consistent domination as a JZ or Kawajiri winning it.
gartface
3/11/08 6:52:22PM
BJ deserves to stay at #1, especially if he dismantles Sherk like I think he will.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/11/08 7:22:55PM

Posted by grappler0000

yup
Copenhagen
3/11/08 7:36:58PM
Yes, I will rank the winner #1. Unless the winner obviously had an easy road to victory.
The number of top ranked LWs in the GP is ridiculous.
IMO the winner has a probability to face more LW competition then BJ and Sherk combined.
cmill21
3/11/08 8:53:54PM
If JZ or Aoki win's then I will rank him #1, unless BJ destroy's Sherk then I will definetly have him at #1.
coldchillin
3/11/08 9:08:32PM
like some of the other posters have said, it all depends: who wins it, what path did they have to take to win the tourney and how dominant were their wins. I'll probably put the winner top three for sure though.

CantAndleDaRiddum
3/11/08 9:56:04PM
if i get to watch this, big IF, or get to see the highlights then it might be easier voting the winner #1. but if not its gonna be hard just going by results & not seeing it happen.

anyone know if we'll get to see these or are we gonna have to watch them online somewhere a fight at a time?
loller90278
3/12/08 2:14:40AM
i don't understand why everyone has BJ Penn as their #1. i think its a double standard, because i see him in the same boat as Fedor. Lets face it, Bj hasn't fought the best competition in LW recently. Jens? a true featherweight? (similar to matt lindland vs fedor) and Joe stevenson? (good fighter, but not close to top 10, maybe 15 or top 20). If he dominates sherk, sure i'll contemplate putting him as my #1 but as of right now he's not #1.

Whoever wins this tournament is #1 in my books, unless its a lucky win or something.

on a side note -- i believe GZ can take BJ 8/10 times
Jipper
3/12/08 4:40:08AM
1. B.J. Penn
2. Sherk/Gomi
3. Sherk/Gomi
4. Winner of the GP.

If Aoki or JZ win they have the possibilities to be better than B.J., Sherk and Gomi but must beat them to prove it.
coldchillin
3/12/08 4:45:44PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

if i get to watch this, big IF, or get to see the highlights then it might be easier voting the winner #1. but if not its gonna be hard just going by results & not seeing it happen.

anyone know if we'll get to see these or are we gonna have to watch them online somewhere a fight at a time?

if you're unable to watch streams like myself, I'm pretty sure somebody will put the fights on dailymotion in a couple days after the event so you'll still be able to watch them. That's what I did with the recent Gomi-Ludwig and Barnett-Yoshida fights.

THEY NEED TO PUT THIS ON PPV THOUGH, even if it's a time-delay PPV broadcast for Saturday night. I miss the old Bushido cards on PPV.