Where do YOU rank Serra in Your WW Rankings?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Where do YOU rank Serra in Your WW Rankings?
POLL: Where is Serra in Your WW Rankings
#1 GSP loss was a fluke! 4% (2)
#2 2% (1)
#3-5 11% (5)
#6-10 44% (20)
Out of Top 10 38% (17)
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/21/08 11:23:42AM
Lots of people (NOT ME) had Serra ranked high bc of his win over GSP.

So where do yuou think he ranks now & why?

Personally, i didnt have him top 10 ww before the fight, so i dont have him in there now. he's right about 11-15 range for me.

if you pick #1, kill yourself now
IriShame
4/21/08 11:27:02AM
I've got him at 6 behind GSP, Fitch, BJ Penn, Matt Hughes, and Kos. I guess you could call him 5 if you don't want to count BJ Penn at WW. The real test comes with his next fight. I want to see him and Diego Sanchez or Marcus Davis.
SmileR
4/21/08 11:29:52AM
I never really ranked him i my top ten, an i don't see how people did to be honest.
There are easily 9 other people who would beat him in the world.

I didn't agree with the whole "comeback" thing as well.
I hope Sera proves me wrong an has a hell of a run proving he deserved the belt he was gifted but i really don't see him beating anyone who earns a title shot the legit way.
murphy_16
4/21/08 11:49:51AM
not in top ten he'll never be at the top again he wont beat any1 good again he is not that good his win against GSP was all luck i went with out of top ten
fullerene
4/21/08 11:56:06AM
6-10. He has some solid wins on TUF (which I count, whether they are on his official record or not) and recent wins over a good fighter in Lytle and over the champ in GSP. He's also fought other good fighters in Penn and Karo competitively.

The win over GSP counts for a lot. To put in plainly it's the biggest accomplishment you can have as a welterweight. Some fighters, Karo for example, was ranked in the top 2-3 by many people with no wins over anybody in the top 10 (unless you want to retroactively call Serra a top 10 fighter when they fought). If you can find 10 guys who have done something more impressive than running off 3 straight victories against veteran fighters (TUF) and beating a dominant champ recently I'd like to hear who they are, not just a statement that "he isn't even in the top 10".
bullettdodger
4/21/08 12:24:34PM
Twenty20Dollars
4/21/08 12:33:30PM
i dont have him anywhere because WW is too stacked to have him on there.
skinnator
4/21/08 5:39:01PM
I got serra #6

Behind

GSP
Hughes
Fitch
Sanchez(Even though I HATE HIM)
Karo
puppetmaster837
4/21/08 6:04:39PM

Posted by fullerene

6-10. He has some solid wins on TUF (which I count, whether they are on his official record or not) and recent wins over a good fighter in Lytle and over the champ in GSP. He's also fought other good fighters in Penn and Karo competitively.

The win over GSP counts for a lot. To put in plainly it's the biggest accomplishment you can have as a welterweight. Some fighters, Karo for example, was ranked in the top 2-3 by many people with no wins over anybody in the top 10 (unless you want to retroactively call Serra a top 10 fighter when they fought). If you can find 10 guys who have done something more impressive than running off 3 straight victories against veteran fighters (TUF) and beating a dominant champ recently I'd like to hear who they are, not just a statement that "he isn't even in the top 10".

Being a veteran doesn't make someone a good fighter. Pete Spratt is 2-4 in his last 6 fights, all 4 losses he got submitted, and he is no longer with the UFC. Shonie Carter has done better then that but also not with the UFC anymore. And he barely beat Chris Lytle, split decision that i think should have gone the other way. He doesn't deserve to be ranked top ten because of his win over GSP when you have so much talent in the WW division.
fullerene
4/21/08 6:53:02PM

Posted by puppetmaster837

Posted by fullerene

Being a veteran doesn't make someone a good fighter. Pete Spratt is 2-4 in his last 6 fights, all 4 losses he got submitted, and he is no longer with the UFC. Shonie Carter has done better then that but also not with the UFC anymore. And he barely beat Chris Lytle, split decision that i think should have gone the other way. He doesn't deserve to be ranked top ten because of his win over GSP when you have so much talent in the WW division.

You are proving that he doesn't have a perfect record. But I'm waiting to hear the names of 10 guys who've done something as impressive as beat the current champ in their last couple years of fighting.
prozacnation1978
4/21/08 10:13:19PM
i just did my personnal top ten rankings for may,

i had serra past top 6 hanging in barely in top 10.
my top 5 are

1. gsp
2. fitch
3. davis
4. kos
5.alves
jiujitsufreak74
4/21/08 10:21:18PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i just did my personnal top ten rankings for may,

i had serra past top 6 hanging in barely in top 10.
my top 5 are

1. gsp
2. fitch
3. davis
4. kos
5.alves

while i appreciate the Davis love...i don't even have him that high lol.

i would say 4, i mean Hughes got beaten by GSP just as badly, and when he lost did he drop out of the top 10? i know a lot of you will say that Serra didn't deserve to be there, but i think he does as he makes a tough fight for most and a win over Lytle is a solid win, not to mention a win over GSP.my rankings are:

1) GSP
2) Fitch
3) Hughes
4) Serra
5) Kos
6) Karo
7) Alves
8) Shields
9) Diego
10) Davis
EON
4/21/08 11:01:05PM

Posted by skinnator

I got serra #6

Behind

GSP
Hughes
Fitch
Karo

Karo is in there but Alves isnt? did you miss the fight or do you just call it a fluke? LOL Karo got KTFO i guess that makes Alves #1, Karo is #9 or 10 tops, how you put him ahead of Koscheck and Alves is ridiculous

how do people have Hughes in a top ten when has he hasnt beaten a top 10? an injured BJ Penn, and before that?.... and is 1-2 is last 3 fights and isnt even fighting top fighters like Sanchez, Kos, Alves, Davis and is all the sudden a top 5????? i guess i should have Randy at #1 ahead of Fedor because he's still avoiding Nog the real champ and avoiding commitments like contracts and wives
jiujitsufreak74
4/21/08 11:05:32PM

Posted by EON

Posted by skinnator

I got serra #6

Behind

GSP
Hughes
Fitch
Karo

how do people have Hughes in a top ten when has he hasnt beaten a top 10? BJ Penn, before that? and is 1-2 is last 3 fights and isnt even fighting top 10s like sanchez, kos, alves, davis and is all the sudden a top 5????? i guess i should have Randy at #1 ahead of Fedor because he's still avoiding nog the real champ

Hughes is top 5 in every major MMA website...just so you know
EON
4/21/08 11:07:21PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

oh man i better change my mind because websites tell me too, i guess i should have gomi ahead of penn too
jiujitsufreak74
4/21/08 11:16:16PM

Posted by EON

oh man i better change my mind because websites tell me too, i guess i should have gomi ahead of penn too

well i was just saying. i personally don't rely on those websites either but i was letting you know it wasn't just us. i ahve Hughes at 3 because i don't believe the WW under him can beat him. losing to GSP twice doesn't exactly mean your a bad fighter. pretty much, it is similar to the Anderson Silva Franklin situation. i believe Hughes can still beat every other HW besides maybe Fitch and GSP. and for Gomi...i can't stand it when people rank him 1st.
EON
4/21/08 11:31:00PM

Posted by EON

i ahve Hughes at 3 because i don't believe the WW under him can beat him.

so why is he ducking the elite at WW if he can beat them all? he gets an easy fight with Lytle gets a shot at the belt with Serra (didnt happen) and people were saying that if Serra had beat Georges again Hughes might get a shot at Serra, how do you and others not see this as bias? i for one am sick of people putting him in the top 10 since never fighting decent competition as of the last few years, its mine and few others opinion that he lost to charuto, charuto not even in the top 100
king_katool
4/22/08 1:46:17AM

Karo is in there but Alves isnt? did you miss the fight or do you just call it a fluke? LOL Karo got KTFO i guess that makes Alves #1, Karo is #9 or 10 tops, how you put him ahead of Koscheck and Alves is ridiculous

how do people have Hughes in a top ten when has he hasnt beaten a top 10? an injured BJ Penn, and before that?.... and is 1-2 is last 3 fights and isnt even fighting top fighters like Sanchez, Kos, Alves, Davis and is all the sudden a top 5????? i guess i should have Randy at #1 ahead of Fedor because he's still avoiding Nog the real champ and avoiding commitments like contracts and wives

well this just proves anything you say in this post or in any other post about rankings should just be dismissed, you say " i guess i should have Randy at #1 ahead of Fedor" so im taking this yu have fedor ranked number 1, now you say hughes is not worthy of being top 10 because he hasnt beaten one in awhile,(hope yu see how stupid yu sounded by now) yet when wo was the last top 10 guy fedor beat and how long ago?? , hughes is more the worhty of being top 10 i have him top 5 and i think he can beat most in the top 10,
EON
4/22/08 2:01:24AM

Posted by king_katool

well this just proves anything you say in this post or in any other post about rankings should just be dismissed, you say " i guess i should have Randy at #1 ahead of Fedor" so im taking this yu have fedor ranked number 1, now you say hughes is not worthy of being top 10 because he hasnt beaten one in awhile,(hope yu see how stupid yu sounded by now) yet when wo was the last top 10 guy fedor beat and how long ago?? , hughes is more the worhty of being top 10 i have him top 5 and i think he can beat most in the top 10,

heres the difference, matt hughes has beaten hardly anybody and fed cans and should have lost to charuto (a supposed can) fedor has beaten many top 10s when he had the belt including the man randy has ducked in nog, so your attempt to defend hughes and attack me was in vain, bravo
king_katool
4/22/08 2:04:22AM

Posted by EON

Posted by king_katool

heres the difference, matt hughes has beaten hardly anybody and fed cans and should have lost to charuto (a supposed can) fedor has beaten many top 10s when he had the belt including the man randy has ducked in nog, so your attempt to defend hughes and attack me was in vain, bravo

so now yu say the difference is fedor HAS beaten top 10s and hughes HASNT??
EON
4/22/08 5:13:14AM

Posted by king_katool

so now yu say the difference is fedor HAS beaten top 10s and hughes HASNT??

im more slightly more impressed by fedor's competition over the years than hughes' (since hes unbeaten it makes it look that much better) especially getting the nod over charuto a fight which hughes should have lost, its an unknown UFC fight now because it makes the UFC look fixed, like how bisping / hamill will never be shown again
king_katool
4/22/08 4:49:56PM
well regardless of who yu think is impressive hughes HAS beaten top tens in his prime and is very deserving of a top 10 rank and that last couple of fights havent been cans for fedor? come on fedor is duckin top competition also ye he has beaten good guys but not lately i mean come on mark coleman? hong man choi? mark hunt? none top 10 even lindland is a questionable top 10, so theres is no way yu should have fedor one and hughes not even top 10, it makes no sense at all
Pitbull09
4/22/08 4:56:34PM
I had him at 10 when he had the title but now i can finally take him off/

Whoever still has Serra in the top 5 prob is dumb enough to throw Shonie Carter in the top 10 too then
Darnok
4/22/08 8:16:36PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Lots of people (NOT ME) had Serra ranked high bc of his win over GSP.

So where do yuou think he ranks now & why?

Personally, i didnt have him top 10 ww before the fight, so i dont have him in there now. he's right about 11-15 range for me.

if you pick #1, kill yourself now

The Serra nuthuggers are all keeping real quite now.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/22/08 10:12:18PM

Posted by EON

Posted by skinnator

I got serra #6

Behind

GSP
Hughes
Fitch
Karo