Will randy be the underdog vs GG?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Will randy be the underdog vs GG?
Mv356
6/9/07 10:10:22PM
He should be, but a lot of nut huggers so maybe not
Mayo
6/9/07 10:26:04PM
It's not a case of nuthuggers. This fight could go either way. Even Couture said he'd rather fight Crocop because he thinks his own style would match up better against Crocop. I love Couture but I have no idea how this fight is going to go.
Fanboy 1988
6/9/07 10:31:58PM
How many times has Randy ever successfully defended a title?

I know he beat chuck and became the interm LHW champion and then beat Tito,and then lost to Vitor by a cut and lost the title,then came back and beat Vitor and got his title back, then got beat by Chuck.

From what I remember he only defended his HW title twice (I think)... His track record defending his belts hasn't been as good as other champions...

However I do think Randy's gonna go into this fight less shacky then Crocop was..... At the moment I have no idea what's gonna happen, I haven't seen much of GG to much a good guess...

warglory
6/9/07 11:31:32PM
Randy is not as cocky as CroCop, he prepares for matches better than anyone I have seen (esp. Tim). I tell ya, I don't think very many people will be putting money on Gabriel, no offense to him.
hippysmacker
6/10/07 2:29:56AM
Randy said after the Sylvia fight at his age he's going to be the underdog for the rest of his career. That being said I think he would be best off to keep it in the clinch , try to make the fight go to the later rounds, and stay off his back. I've never seen Gonzaga in a long fight, and Randy is legendary for his stamina, even he lost the first 2 rounds he could pull out a victory.Just standing would be a bad idea IMO, he's just not very fast. Randy was able to draw Jacare in a submission grappling match, but he outweighed him by over 30 lbs. at the time. His sub defense has been pretty good for a long time, but it's not like he's Fedor on top.E ither way i'm pulling for him
cmill21
6/10/07 4:19:39AM
I think Randy's preparation will bring him the win. As everyone who follows cro cop knows, he seems to think he's invincible and doesn't really respect other skills, Randy won't make that mistake. I'm still not sure how goo Gonzaga is, he caught Mirko's lazy kick, then threw elbows while on the ground (Mirko did not train with elbows prior to that fight). Randy is allllllot more comfterble then Mirko is on his back (most ppl are), and he won't panic if something happens. I don't think Randy's a definite underdog, but I think he's a slight underdog since gonzaga did beat a fighter who most thought would walk through the HW div. (I still think he will).
Mastodon2
6/10/07 9:34:08AM

Posted by cmill21

As everyone who follows cro cop knows, he seems to think he's invincible and doesn't really respect other skills

Im sorry but that is one of the most ridiculous things Ive read in a long time!
Signal2112
6/10/07 10:16:34AM

Posted by cmill21

As everyone who follows cro cop knows, he seems to think he's invincible and doesn't really respect other skills

...is this some kind of a joke? Cro Cop definately respects "other skills". Remember when he fought Mark Coleman, how he sprawled like there was no tomorrow because he knew Coleman was superior on the ground?
fedorwins1
6/10/07 1:09:35PM
I got GG, but I'm not putting money on it, you never know what's going to happen when Randy fights. The reason I picked Gonzaga is that he's stronger, seems to have better standup, and he deff. has better subs.
cmill21
6/10/07 1:37:08PM
Ok, he respects certain skills like gnp, but before the Nog fight he said he woulden't be able to submit him. He doesn't prepare like he should unless he's fighting an upper echelon fighter.
Mastodon2
6/10/07 3:17:07PM

Posted by cmill21

Ok, he respects certain skills like gnp, but before the Nog fight he said he woulden't be able to submit him. He doesn't prepare like he should unless he's fighting an upper echelon fighter.

He said Nogueira wouldn't be able to submit him because he didnt even think Antonio Rodrigo could take him down, his gameplan was working perfectly until he slipped up and Rodrigo scored the takedown early in the second round.
cmill21
6/10/07 3:50:45PM
Lol yeah I watched that fight, but he didn't respect the fact that NOG could take him down and submit him and boom it happends and he hasn't fully planned for it. Maybe it's just me but I watch every one of his prefight interviews and he always says when asked about the other persons particular strong point "they won't be able to do that to me". Cro Cop is my favorite fighter by far so i'm in no way hating on him, but i'm not 100% convinced that he was even 70% focused on Gonzaga.
Ultimate_fighter
6/10/07 6:08:32PM
Randy is for sure the underdog... If someone who u are about to fight, KO'ed Cro Cop in the first round, i think u would be a underdog.
But, 2007 "Year of the Underdogs"
I say Randy 3rd Submisson
tepid55
6/10/07 6:33:44PM
I think Randy will be a slight underdog in this fight.
MattHughesFan
6/10/07 6:55:29PM
I see randy doing what he did to Tito, Chuck, Tim and Vitor ect.. going to the clinch, taking his opponent down and controlling him. I see Randy winning by a 49-46 decision
Ydoc
6/10/07 7:56:30PM

Posted by MattHughesFan

I see randy doing what he did to Tito, Chuck, Tim and Vitor ect.. going to the clinch, taking his opponent down and controlling him. I see Randy winning by a 49-46 decision

Believe-in-judo81
6/11/07 3:49:34AM
On betting lines: No
In the eyes of casual fans: Hell No
In The eyes of knowledgeable atheletes and spectators who know the sport: Definitely.

Randy's best chance here is on the feet, he's historically done very badly with bigger, stronger, younger grapplers which is exactly what Gonzaga is, and he's an amazing one. GG hits hard and showed good movement against Mirko, but he still throws slow as molasses. Randy Has to keep the pressure on at the right times, be ready to defend the shot, and be looking to set up good counters.