Randy, MMA's Ultimate Oppurtunist?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Randy, MMA's Ultimate Oppurtunist?
NatedawgThaM
3/4/08 8:08:27PM
I was thinking long and hard about it and I am really questioning Randy’s skills. No I don’t think he sucks, I just think he’s a little overhyped when you talk his P4P or #2 or #3 HW status.

Think about it, He is most famous for coming out of nowhere and surprising Chuck and Tim. I think that’s a little weak since he was 40 something at the time and these guys most likely took him lightly and thought he had nothing left in the tank so he surprised them.

Yeah you can say what about Tito and Gonzaga? Both saw what he did to those two, so they could have been prepared. But that is easily answered. Tito’s a wrestler and nothing else. Randy happens to be a better wrestler so that was an easy prediction. Gabriel Gonzaga has no heart, hit him and he crumbles.

I’m just curious so I’m asking. Is Randy really a P4P great in your opinion, or his he just the ultimate MMA opportunist?
Pookie
3/4/08 8:11:21PM
not sure what you mean by opportunist...

i dont think he should be considered p4p on anyones list. He is a good fighter, but not on that level imo
NatedawgThaM
3/4/08 8:14:21PM

Posted by Pookie

A person who exploits circumstances to gain immediate advantage rather than being guided by consistent principles or plans
Rush
3/4/08 8:14:55PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Think about it, He is most famous for coming out of nowhere and surprising Chuck and Tim. I think that’s a little weak since he was 40 something at the time and these guys most likely took him lightly and thought he had nothing left in the tank so he surprised them.

I'm not sure if I get your opinion. You totally credit Serra with his win over GSP, but it is widely known that GSP, for the most part, took him lightly. But here, you are saying that Randy's wins (are less significant) over Chuck and Tim are because they took him lightly?

jiujitsufreak74
3/4/08 8:17:26PM
imo he is very overrated. didn't know beating Tim Sylvia and GG made you the best fighter...i guess i missed something. oh that's right, maybe it is not having more then one consecutive title defense that makes you the greatest ever or losing 1/3 of your fights all by submissions or KOs...maybe that's what i forgot. or maybe it's going 4-3 in your last 7 fights, i can't remember

now that the sarcasm is out of the way i agree with both Pookie and NateDawg
NatedawgThaM
3/4/08 8:23:11PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I'm not sure if I get your opinion. You totally credit Serra with his win over GSP, but it is widely known that GSP, for the most part, took him lightly. But here, you are saying that Randy's wins (are less significant) over Chuck and Tim are because they took him lightly?

Serra technically earned his title shot on the show even though I didn't agree with that. Randy comes out of nowhere and you expect guys like Tim and Chuck to take him lightly. Everybody had GSP built up before that loss to be the actual "Ultimate Fighter" and that upset was probably the biggest upset I ever seen in my life.

Totally different if you get what I mean.
juanez13
3/4/08 8:28:56PM
I think the fights he has won make them more meaningfull because mostof the time he was a big underdog, he was said to be too old to compete at a the highest levels of MMA, and on the occasions where people tought he had no chance against the younger/stronger ooponent he came out on top, so it is alot of hype, guaranteed if randy was on his 20's when he did this, he wouldnt have even half the hype thats around him right now, but you also cant just say he is only popular because of this and that and not his fighting skills, you cant deny he has is the only person to hold titles multiple times in two different weight classes, and even though he didnt defend the titles as much as other champs, its still a pretty big accomplishment....................i have never considered randy to be the best in the world, but i recognize that he is amongst the best to compete in this sport.
SmileR
3/4/08 8:45:38PM

Posted by juanez13

I think the fights he has won make them more meaningfull because mostof the time he was a big underdog, he was said to be too old to compete at a the highest levels of MMA, and on the occasions where people tought he had no chance against the younger/stronger ooponent he came out on top, so it is alot of hype, guaranteed if randy was on his 20's when he did this, he wouldnt have even half the hype thats around him right now, but you also cant just say he is only popular because of this and that and not his fighting skills, you cant deny he has is the only person to hold titles multiple times in two different weight classes, and even though he didnt defend the titles as much as other champs, its still a pretty big accomplishment....................i have never considered randy to be the best in the world, but i recognize that he is amongst the best to compete in this sport.

I totally agree. I also have never considered Randy to be the best but have always admired the way he carries himself.

Their is very little chance that other competitors still underestimate him.
If he can take Tim to a decisive decision and stop Gonzaga he would still be considered a top HW.
If he was 20 years younger granted their wouldn't be as much hype but i'd safely say he would be considered a top 5 HW.

He will always be remembered as one of the greats because as juanez13 says he held the LHW & HW titles multiple times as well as being a great spokes man for the sport.

gravy13
3/4/08 10:55:38PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Pookie

A person who exploits circumstances to gain immediate advantage rather than being guided by consistent principles or plans

Well, technically you just defined every good MMA Fighter.
Rush
3/4/08 11:11:08PM
Randy started his UFC career rather late so I really don't get the age argument because his time was more limited than the guys starting out in their 20s. Pretty much from the start Randy has almost always fought top competition. He has held multiple titles and beat many fighters when they were considered at the top of their game. Randy is a big name and almost always delivers an exciting performance. He is also a great spokesman for the sport.

Put all those together and you've got someone that can sell tickets and beat anyone at any given time.

Randy's record is not stellar, but we all (should) know that records do not necessarily represent the fighter's abilities and must be examined with a degree of subjectivity. I don't have him as my P4P best, but I would never criticize his career or his accomplishemts and set-backs.

That being said, the people that are successful in life are typically opportunists. To advance at school or a career, you need to take opportunities when they are given to you or you need to be good at generating them yourself. Sure he may be an opportunist, but until someone can convince me that Randy took or created opportunities that broke some written or unwritten code of ethics, I say good for him. He's making the best of what he has, which is more than I can say for most people.
mmadb
3/5/08 9:03:12AM
I think Randy is a great fighter capable of beating anyone, but he's just as capable of losing to anyone in my opinion. That to me does not equal a top P4P fighter.