Randy Couture willing to fight in the UFC once more

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Randy Couture willing to fight in the UFC once more
MMAcca
8/29/08 1:09:52AM
Reigning UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture could return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship by year's end as part of an out-of-court settlement with the organization.

Multiple sources close to the fighter, speaking exclusively to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), today said that Couture is willing to fight once more for the UFC, possibly before the end of the year, as a potential resolution to his ongoing legal battles with the fight promotion.

However, Couture himself could not be reached for comment, and it's unknown if the UFC is even considering the offer at this point.

According to one source, as part of Couture's concession to return the octagon, the 45-year-old UFC hall-of-famer would want to walk away "clear and free" from the organization after the bout.

LINK
jakeiceman
8/29/08 1:12:42AM
The only fight would be with Nogiera and I think Randy stomps him.....so the UFC will not let thier champ just walk away.....this is just the beginning of the drama I'm afraid.
Mchubb316
8/29/08 1:15:28AM
This whole thing is going nowhere. The UFC doesn't want Randy to come in and fight their champ, and possibly beat him then just leave. That is the only fight left for Randy in the UFC in my opinion. I personally have no interest in seeing Randy fight anyone other than a champ, although a bout with Lesnar interests me some.
Greene33
8/29/08 1:15:56AM
If Randy fought Nog without this showbiz courtroom layoff i think he has a great chance. But now i think he runs the risk of throwing away his big money bout with Fedor if he losses to the man Fedor has decisively beaten twice.
Ordep
8/29/08 1:20:48AM
before 2009? .... hmmm not gonna happen... the only fight that make sense is vs. Nog and he's already in TUF stuff vs. Mir.... so NO NO..... just publicity
Wolfenstein
8/29/08 1:52:38AM
Awesome, I'd heard this a few days ago from Golden boy on the forums, so it's cool to hear the rumors verified that there's something to it. Supposedly i would be at UFC 91. I hope he would come in to spank Brock Lesnar ala Tito Ortiz.
cmill21
8/29/08 2:02:40AM
If he fights Nog he will lose, especially after a huge layoff, then no one will care about the Fedor fight.
jakeiceman
8/29/08 2:34:10AM

Posted by cmill21

If he fights Nog he will lose, especially after a huge layoff, then no one will care about the Fedor fight.

Just curious, why do you think Nog would beat Couture.....other than the layoff? I'm actually interested to hear your thinking, I'm not being a smartass as usual. Break it down for me , because I think other than the layoff that Randy has all the tools he needs to win it.
Muay-Thai_Mogwai
8/29/08 2:41:40AM
If couture wins it, it'll be by decision. Now one can finish NOG!!
Minotauro =indestructible
Svartorm
8/29/08 2:49:51AM
If he does fight, its Lesnar. They're not giving him a champ, and I'm fairly sure he'd beat Big Nog and definitely Mir, so he'll fight Lesnar. If Lesnar loses, he lost to one of the greatest of all time. If he wins, he just springboarded his career and legitimacy as a HW force in MMA. Its a no lose situation for Lesnar or the UFC.
cmill21
8/29/08 2:56:02AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by cmill21

Just curious, why do you think Nog would beat Couture.....other than the layoff? I'm actually interested to hear your thinking, I'm not being a smartass as usual. Break it down for me , because I think other than the layoff that Randy has all the tools he needs to win it.

Well Nog has the size advantage, I think his boxing is better, and I think on the ground it's hard to control Nog unless you have the physical advantage, and even Barnett coulden't control him. I also think Nog's ability to trick people into submissions would come into it, Randy is very good at avoiding subs but Nog gets guys to put themselves into them. I think Nog beats Randy in a close decision, with Nog winning the stand up, and being able to put Randy into enough trouble that he's tentative to go to the ground. Layoff makes it alot easier for me to pick this one.
loller90278
8/29/08 2:58:12AM
i dont understand -- isn't he still the HW champ because hes still under contract? so wouldnt he HAVE to fight big nog the interim champion by the end of the year?

i'd like to see him fight cain valesquez or lesner or just have him crush kongo
jocka
8/29/08 6:05:15AM

Posted by loller90278

i dont understand -- isn't he still the HW champ because hes still under contract? so wouldnt he HAVE to fight big nog the interim champion by the end of the year?

i'd like to see him fight cain valesquez or lesner or just have him crush kongo

He is definitely still the champ, to be honest there not really a fight in the Ufc that i would like to see Couture in, HE just needs to fight Fedor before he dies of old age
jgtribbett
8/29/08 7:19:30AM
nog vs randy and i say its gonna be awsome..

randy by UD
Red-Dragon
8/29/08 8:26:50AM
Fedor does not sign exclusivity contracts does he?

If that is the case then what is stopping the UFC from using this to snatch the huge PPV headline fight of Fedor vs Randy?

Randy has to have 1 more fight and I am sure the UFC would do a 1 fight deal with Fedor as either they do it or Afflication will.

Just a thought.
gsquat
8/29/08 8:27:56AM
As said before, if he does fight by year's end it wont be Nog. Likely Lesnar. Or they'll figure this is it with Randy and seize the opportunity to make the Fedor fight happen. Either way, Lesnar and/or Fedor would both win... with relative ease.
finnish_line
8/29/08 9:01:29AM

Lesnar makes the most sense.

They can't try to unify the HW belt and the Interim HW belt if Randy's gone after this. IF it happens at all, which is unlikely.

Plus the timing doesn't work out for the next 6 months as others have pointed out.

Fedor/Randy in the UFC would do a maximum of 1,000,000 buys, probably. More likely 750,000.

Lesnar/Randy would do between 600,000 and 750,000.

Factor in Fedor's salary and Brock's willingness to keep fighting in the UFC, and it's a better business decision to go with Randy/Lesnar - which I think Lesnar wins via decision.
bojangalz
8/29/08 9:12:47AM
From what I can tell, the only "news" here is Randy saying that'd he'll take one more fight for the UFC. But there isn't any comment at all from UFC brass. This looks to me like Randy has realized that he's stuck with his contract, and once again wants to use his celebrity status to push for a re negotiation. He probably has learned one way or another that he's legally obligated to meet the number of fights specified in the contaract, not a certain amount of time.

He owed the UFC two fights yet when he "retired" the first time. Then, he comes back and says "I'll un-retire and add two more fights to my contract. But I want a $500,000 signing bonus, and more money per fight."

Then he retires again! And now he comes back and says "I'll take one more fight for you guys, but then I want to be unconditionally released."

maybe it's just me...But I don't see any reason why the UFC would make take this deal. Randy has essentially stolen his $500,000 signing bonus already by "retiring" twice. Why on earth would they allow him to leave freely without fullfilling his contract. And it's not even about money at this point. Its about not allowing the inmates to run the asylum. If they let a fighter dictate his terms like this, imagine what president it sets for future labor negotiation problems.

Dana is all about having Randy take a fight under the UFC, but if the terms are unconditional release of contract, then there is no way this happens. That being said, I'd still love to see Couture fight. All of the legal bullshit aside, I'd still pay to watch him fight just about anyone. It's pretty easy to root for a guy whose defying father time and putting a whoppin on guys almost half his age.
Pyrenus
8/29/08 9:59:42AM
I would actually agree with the Lesnar match up.

If this happens, it won't be against the current champ. Period. The UFC would want Randy to lose in order to appear that they aren't losing a champion. They want all outward appearances to remain that they have the best fighters in the world.

And with a still shallow HW division, I think they'd have a tough time finding a challenger that can beat Couture. Nog vs Couture wouldn't happen, and Randy would run straight through Kongo and Herring.

Lesnar, on the other hand, could give Randy a run for his money. Brock is a big enough guy that Randy's wrestling won't give him the advantage. Brock won't be bullied around.
kaduey
8/29/08 10:10:36AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by cmill21

On the contrary, Nogueira has all of the tools to beat Randy. With all do respect to Couture, he is a weee bit overrated. Yes the guy is one of the all time greats and his ability to stay at this level is amazing but he shows alot of holes in his game and Nogueira would expose that. If Randy were to try and take it to the ground I think Nog would submit him and Nog is clearly the better striker. Oh and by the way I think Fedor would walk through Randy with relative ease. Don't take this as Randy bashing it's just what i've observed.
Kracker_Jap
8/29/08 11:38:02AM
I really hate these rumors because all they do is get my hopes up

I hope they let him fight Lesnar and I hope he gets destroyed
Darnok
8/29/08 11:55:35AM

Posted by Red-Dragon

If that is the case then what is stopping the UFC from using this to snatch the huge PPV headline fight of Fedor vs Randy?

Randy has to have 1 more fight and I am sure the UFC would do a 1 fight deal with Fedor as either they do it or Afflication will.

Just a thought.

The problem is that the UFC always looks long term not just one show profits like Affliction. If the UFC did this the belt would walk out the door and there would be nothing they could do about it.

It is much more likely they just keep Randy from fighting period.
MMAcca
8/29/08 11:48:40PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I really hate these rumors because all they do is get my hopes up

I hope they let him fight Lesnar and I hope he gets destroyed

Me too

This aint happening imo
hails
8/30/08 1:03:37AM
One thing everyone is over looking, why would LESNAR want to take this fight!!!

If Randy is the G.O.A.T, why would a 3 fight rookie want to fight Randy?

I know that if LESNAR wins, he moves up the ladder, and if he loses, he was meant to lose, I get that part.

Randy v Nog or Randy v Fedor who signs a one fight deal may work. But what do they fight for in the UFC, Randy wouldn't stay and either would Fedor?

I just can not see Randy fighting ever again!!! I know that as each day goes by I get less interested in seeing a 45 year old guy fight.

I say Randy never fights again due to legal reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jiujitsufreak74
8/30/08 1:13:44AM

Posted by hails

you obviously don't understand the mentality of a competitor. you always want to fight the best, why do you think he has already faced the caliber opponents that he did? he said from the beginning he wants to fight the best and Dana isn't babying him. i don't understand why Lesnar wouldn't want to take this fight
Red-Dragon
8/30/08 8:41:04AM

Posted by Darnok

Posted by Red-Dragon

Just a thought.

The problem is that the UFC always looks long term not just one show profits like Affliction. If the UFC did this the belt would walk out the door and there would be nothing they could do about it.

It is much more likely they just keep Randy from fighting period.

By no means do I think the UFC will put a belt on the line for a fighter on a one fight contract and another on his last fight of a contract. I just think that they could make this a special event just so they get the revenue and Affilction don't.
MMAcca
8/31/08 2:04:05AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by hails

you obviously don't understand the mentality of a competitor. you always want to fight the best, why do you think he has already faced the caliber opponents that he did? he said from the beginning he wants to fight the best and Dana isn't babying him. i don't understand why Lesnar wouldn't want to take this fight