Randy Couture says size won't matter with Brock Lesnar at UFC 91

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Randy Couture says size won't matter with Brock Lesnar at UFC 91
Next Page »
MMAcca
10/28/08 3:17:13PM
The belief of many MMA experts leading up to Randy Couture's comeback fight against Tim Sylvia in March of 2007 was that "The Natural," gifted as he was, just couldn't overcome Sylvia's massive size advantage.

Some 18 months later, after dispatching Sylvia in one of the most dominant performances of his career, Couture is hearing the same song, only a different verse.

As the UFC hall-of-famer now prepares for his UFC 91 main event with Brock Lesnar, which includes a fight camp with some of MMA's biggest wrestlers, Couture recently told MMAjunkie.com size again won't matter.

LINK
tuvok500
10/28/08 3:21:13PM
WAR Couture !!!

bojangalz
10/28/08 3:25:21PM
Couture: "Size doesn't matter... At least that's what Kim keeps telling me."

In all seriousness, I sure hope size doesn't matter. He looked like he was walking around at 215 pounds at the PPV last weekend. He's going to be giving up probably 60 pounds at fight time.
Pyrenus
10/28/08 3:33:06PM

Posted by bojangalz
He's going to be giving up probably 60 pounds at fight time.

Which he can use to his advantage. Tire out the big boy and then whoop up on him!
wrona666
10/28/08 3:43:05PM

Posted by Pyrenus

Posted by bojangalz
He's going to be giving up probably 60 pounds at fight time.

Which he can use to his advantage. Tire out the big boy and then whoop up on him!

If the fight goes past the 2nd rd i definately think Couture will come away with the win...
Twenty20Dollars
10/28/08 3:45:02PM
Couture is saying size won't matter, but after he loses the fight he will say the size difference was a huge disadvantage for me.
bullettdodger
10/28/08 4:04:52PM
I hope Randy can pull it off, I just see the size advantage being obscene and insurmountable... I hope Randy proves me wrong.
UFCmma666
10/28/08 4:08:18PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Couture is saying size won't matter, but after he loses the fight he will say the size difference was a huge disadvantage for me.

no way lesnar is so inexperienced its ridiculous i c him gassing early and getting submitted
Branwest
10/28/08 4:09:27PM
The more muscular one is, the harder the heart has to work to feed oxygen through the bloodstream to those muscles. However, Brock looked good throughout the entire 3-round fight with Herring. But this is a five-round fight, and if Couture pushes Brock past the third round, we'll see how Brock holds up. I love Couture, but I do think this is a tough fight for him. I guarantee he's working on his leglocks and other submissions. He doesn't have real long legs, so his triangles aren't that good, but he can use various other submissions. But we know that Brock is training to defend those submissions. I would bet my house on the fact that Big Nog would submit Brock, but I don't know how Couture will win. I think his stamina will help and play a huge part in this fight.
wapttn
10/28/08 4:16:24PM

Posted by tuvok500

WAR Couture !!!

told you lesnar would be favoured to win =P

anyways... I dont think this fight will be determined by the size difference. This fight will be decided by style, strength, and athleticism... and thats why I'm leaning towards lesnar.

Couture's wins over sylvia and gonzaga.. both from an underdog role are why people were all hopped up on couture being a top hw in the world. I was just as excited after the sylvia match as anyone else... and just as impressed by the gonzaga win.

With sylvia... he had been working the same jab, move, sprawl, jab, jab, overhand right, jab, jab, jab, jab........ strategy and seemed really comfortable with the mentality of fighting not to lose. Couture identified that, knew the game plan to take it apart, told dana, asked for the match, got it, and executed.

With gonzaga.. i think it was a more even matchup... despite couture still having a noticable grappling advantage. I still think that fight might've gone differently had gonzaga not had his nose broken. Realistically... how many fighters have had their nose broken as a result of a slam?

In both of these fights, couture was able to pick out weaknesses in his opponents style, and exploit them with a gameplan which was rooted in superior grappling. I'm just not sure i can see this happening with lesnar.

When you compare lesnar's style from his first, to second, to third fight.. there are similarities, but theres also an exponential growth. The guy will always be a beast in size and strength... but now he's fast and can pace himself. I'm not sure if lesnar's style is consistent enough for couture to really get that game plan goin. And how is couture supposed to exploit his grappling advantage over lesnar? how do you out grapple a ncaa div1 champ who is that big, strong and athletic?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what couture comes up with for his game plan, but i'm honestly a little sceptical. And couture's roman greco might be better... but how much better can it be when you're gettin manhandled?
Pskinner_mma314
10/28/08 4:20:21PM
has anyone thought about the fact that brock still has not had to be on the defensive yet. that takes alot more out of your cardio. i mean he used his ridiculous size to take Mir down and pound him til Mir did what Mir does. and with Herring he hit him one good time and was on the attack the whole fight, and if your holdin someone down thats smaller than you, you can basically decide how much energy you want to use.

When you are in survival mode, you have to use alot more energu and we haven't seen Brock there yet and I think Couture has the best shot of takin him there.

Just a thought
wiggum
10/28/08 4:21:30PM
technique over strength every day.....size shouldnt matter....unless he gets pegged with a good shot that puts him on queer street...then pulling technique off will be that much harder
gsquat
10/28/08 4:35:31PM
I hate this fight and don't want to pick it. I know I'm gonna get it wrong. No matter who I pick, fate will intervene just to screw me over.
JWest12
10/28/08 5:00:09PM

Posted by gsquat

I hate this fight and don't want to pick it. I know I'm gonna get it wrong. No matter who I pick, fate will intervene just to screw me over.

If that's the case then can you pick Couture? Because I've got Lesnar.
RampageOwnedYou
10/28/08 5:27:29PM
No fighter bashing.

- MMA
Wolfenstein
10/28/08 5:41:01PM
Brock lasted all three rounds with Herring without becoming winded, but I don't think he was really pushed to work too hard. I think that will be the difference here. Randy should be able to wear him dwn by forcing him to work and scrambling to his feet when it hits the mat.

I think coming in light is the best move Randy can make. Either way he's going to be at a serious weight disadvantage so why sacrifice speed to be 230 or 240 when it's really not going to make much of a difference. Going with speed and stamina are his best options.

I get that feeling to that no matter what I pick the opposite is going to happen, but Randy has won what...10 out of 11 times he's been an underdog...I'm not exactly sure of the # but I thik that's about right.
Solidus
10/28/08 6:02:12PM
The way I see it, you're taking a chance picking against Randy. I thought there was no way in hell he would get past Tim Sylvia, and then Gonzaga, why would I go against him again. One advantage that Randy does have is that he knows exactly what Lesnar is going to do, so its a good thing he's training with all these wrestlers. Should be interesting to see Randy trying to take Brock down
RampageOwnedYou
10/28/08 6:44:11PM

Brock lasted all three rounds with Herring without becoming winded,

and what fight were you watching?
I think you had another fight in mind. If not, re-watch. Watching it once when your drunk with your buddies, doesnt count.
Wolfenstein
10/28/08 6:51:35PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Brock lasted all three rounds with Herring without becoming winded,

and what fight were you watching?
I think you had another fight in mind. If not, re-watch. Watching it once when your drunk with your buddies, doesnt count.

Excuse me, but I don't appreciate being disrespected. I'm not going to make a big deal out of it, because it might have just been a joke but it's coming off as rude. Disagree with my opinion and that's cool, but don't disrespect me. By the way I drink once in a blue moon, not really my thing.
decken
10/28/08 6:53:15PM

Posted by UFCmma666

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

no way lesnar is so inexperienced its ridiculous i c him gassing early and getting submitted

randy is not very good at submissions he said so himself.
SpiderSilva
10/28/08 7:06:10PM
Brock might gas but I don't think he will I lost some respect for Couture for leaving us hanging but still know what he can do I don't think Lesnar is anything like Sylvia so this fight will not be like that one in the end I want to see how much Lesnar has improved and how he will do vs even better fighter

oh and who cares if Lesnar has fans who watched WWE or watch hell I was a big fan in the mid to late 90s it was great TV
RampageOwnedYou
10/28/08 7:06:44PM
hey man, nothing personal. You obviously dont read my posts. I am a joker, and someone who speaks his mind. Love me or hate me, thats fine by me.......I got no beef with you, so def. not trying to hate on ya. I dont drink as well, but you telling me Brock wasnt winded, or tired to me seems you didnt really watch the fight.
I just like people who are going to reply to something i said, to have their facts straight, thats all man.
Wolfenstein
10/28/08 7:19:54PM
It's cool, I obviouly misinterpreted, so we'll leave it at tat and I'll have a better idea of how seriously to take your comments.

I would love to see a vote on who thinks Brock was winded by the end of that fight because I just feel you are completely off-base. I might actually start a poll on it i the locker room to settle it once and for all
Solidus
10/28/08 7:57:28PM
If Brock was winded he sure hid it well... I didnt even realize anyone was saying he was winded. He looked as fresh going into the 3rd as he did in the 1st.

Granted he wasnt working that hard, I mean its not like Herring was resisting much in that beatdown. But something tells me this is a guy who doesnt tire easy despite his size, he's just one of those rare genetically blessed individuals who can be that big and still have insane cardio.

We'll see how his cardio holds up in a 5 round fight against someone who is going to make him work. If Randy doesnt get KO'd in the first couple rounds...
tdietel01
10/28/08 8:10:08PM
winded and gassed are way different! if i run up a flight of stairs and get winded it doesnt mean i am gassed know what i mean? how will randy win? I dont see how he can do it, unless brock wants to stand with him. randy WILL NOT be able to defend brocks takedowns all night. I dont know if he can defend one. i also dont know how he will be able to hold brock IF he manages to get him on his back. The 60 lbs weight difference is gonna be huge in this fight. his best chance is to try and sub brock really early, cause i dont think that he has the stamina to keep brocks pace the whole fight. i think the only one that can keep up with his cardio is sherk.

lesnar rd 3 tko
Wolfenstein
10/28/08 8:22:32PM
Yeah, you're right. I think we were both reffering to gassed.
xtra_chewy
10/28/08 9:15:28PM
Every time Couture fights, I get the pick wrong. Same way with Chuck Liddell, with that said I'm staying with the wrong pick.
cmill21
10/28/08 9:16:36PM
I hope Randy wins, I don't want to see brock #1 in the Hw div on the playground rankings.
Solidus
10/28/08 10:32:27PM
Winded/gassed I thought were the same in this context. If you want to argue semantics then yes he was winded lol, but he wasnt gassed.
Kracker_Jap
10/28/08 11:52:25PM

Posted by cmill21

I hope Randy wins, I don't want to see brock #1 in the Hw div on the playground rankings.

So if he beats Randy what ranking does he deserve???

I hope he drops a shark on "Randy straight to DVD Couture" s ass
Pages: [1] 2