Randy Couture returns to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 … in Las Vegas

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Randy Couture returns to fight Brock Lesnar at UFC 91 … in Las Vegas
Next Page »
SmileR
9/2/08 4:17:20PM
It’s official: Randy Couture fought Zuffa law and Zuffa law won … kinda.

The 11-month legal drama that involved the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and its disgruntled heavyweight champion, Randy Couture, has been resolved.

Thank the almighty … whoever that may be.

In an official conference call today, UFC President Dana White announced that the 45-year-old Hall of Fame inductee had agreed to an out-of-court new three-fight contract. And, as speculated, will return against Brock Lesnar in the main event at UFC 91 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, in a five round fight for the heavyweight championship of the world.

This is quite a departure — and a monumental breakthrough — from the ugly break up that first began when Couture faxed in his resignation from a South African movie set in late 2007, citing poor pay, lack of respect and a desire to fight Fedor Emelianenko — a high-profile free agent who the UFC was unable to sign.

He has sat on the sidelines ever since, hoping that his legal team could find him a way out of his ironclad contract. Either he eventually realized that it was impossible or would just take too long, which is more than likely the genesis behind his sudden shift in strategy.

Link
DoTheMMAth
9/2/08 4:18:58PM
Poor Big Nog got screwed, seriously. His resume blows either of them or Mir's out of the water, but he loses his "interim" title in favor of a more favorable PPV.
ohiostate1016
9/2/08 4:19:23PM
Let's see...a 3-fight contract. Brock, Nog, and then Fedor?
SmileR
9/2/08 4:22:09PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Wow, this is 100% bullcrap. Big Nog got screwed, seriously. His resume blows either of them or Mir's out of the water, but he loses his "interim" title in favor of a more favorable PPV.

I was thinking the same thing man!
Nog should get the fight with Couture and prove how only Fedor can beat him..... An Arlovski
The_Italian_Stallion
9/2/08 4:22:11PM
I'm not a big fan of Nog but that is definite BS. And Brock gets a title shot at 2-1 and his only win being Heath Herring. Complete BS!

Plus I'd bet real money that Brock wins so he'll be a champ at 3-1, what is the UFC now the WEC or Dream or Strikeforce?
TWITA
9/2/08 4:22:42PM
SWEET!! Welcome back Cap'n!!! Kinda shocked that Lesnar is getting a title shot right now. I guess Randy's not rolling in the royalty earnings from the Scorpion King 2 DVD sales
Boo_Radley21
9/2/08 4:33:37PM
I don't think Randy will win, which sucks, and now im sad. I'd rather see him fight nog.
Mayo
9/2/08 4:33:57PM
UFC = Ultimate Fighting Commercialized
Manak
9/2/08 4:35:01PM
so to sum up the last 11 months for the UFC HW div, randy quit, they let go AA, released Tim, Werdum is facin a no-name, CC lost 2 in a row so he left, didnt sign fedor or Barrent, big nog won the intrim n got tied up in TUF to face frank mir who only beat a then 1-0 brock so big nog got the royal shaft, and all that to lead to randy v brock for the HW title........i really dont know wut to say
MALICE
9/2/08 4:35:19PM
I'm still kind of disgusted with Randy so please excuse me. Whoopty Doo. Randy's back. I don't think he deserves it due to his selfish acts. I am really cheering for Brock on this one. Randy was good but he was never Great in my eyes. I mean Chuck KO'ed him twice and he retired. Then he comes back directly to a title shot. Wins. Defends it once. Then resigns saying he deserves better treatment and all of the other BS.

Just typing I am getting kind of excited now. He will be facing a monster in Lesnar. IF he can't beat Lesnar, Good Riddance!!!!!

Good Riddance Definition - An expression of pleasure on being rid of some annoyance - usually an individual.
Pookie
9/2/08 4:36:31PM
In the past year both of these competitors are 2-1 combined.

Im sorry but this is bullshit that its for the title.
bojangalz
9/2/08 4:40:44PM
Wow, even with all the talk...I didn't expect it to actually happen. I guess I stand corrected.

Anyone want an avatar bet on the chances that Randy doesn't fulfill the contract?
wiggum
9/2/08 4:42:09PM
i think too many people are over estimating brock lesnar and (as usual) underestimating cap america....5 rd title fight against an ageless wonder is not an over the hill heath herring fight
iwannabesedated
9/2/08 4:44:53PM
Well,they never officially stripped Randy of the title so technically he is still the champ.While i agree Brock doesnt deserve a title shot but Brock vs Randy will sell a helluva lot more than Randy Vs Werdum,Cain or any other HW..Smart move by the UFC on their part.Wouldnt it be some shit to see Mir Vs Lesnar II for the title ...Still either way im excited for the fight and to see the outcomes,and please dont compare UFC to EXC...Kimbo gets fed has beens and never was fighters..and Brock gets 3 tough fights in a row.
juanez13
9/2/08 4:46:38PM
All the people saying he should be fighting Nog, well he should, but he is kind of tied up with a little something called TUF. Its not just something they can scrap and put Randy/Nog fight instead.

With Nog tied up in TUF, there arent many choices left, although Werdum would have been my #1 choice (since he is the #1 contender)...Brock is not bad, being a much more profitable fight.
Street_Fighter
9/2/08 4:47:34PM
I don't think Randy has that much of a chance anyway. I gues he is gonna make his way out of the UFC......in a stretcher.
Wolfenstein
9/2/08 4:49:58PM
It seems like the UFC has just completely lost their mind. I mean the match is super exciting, but are they going to start putting on matches to generate numbers regardless of rankings. It just seems to lose credibility with me.

Either way I hope Randy submits Lesnar. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of a gameplan he can employ.
ncordless
9/2/08 4:50:00PM

Posted by wiggum

i think too many people are over estimating brock lesnar and (as usual) underestimating cap america....5 rd title fight against an ageless wonder is not an over the hill heath herring fight

Yeah, I hear you. Lesnar looked good against HH, but so did Jake O'Brian. Randy is not going to turtle up for 5 rounds.

In favor of Lesnar, one of the knocks on Randy is his percieved weakness against larger grapplers.
ohiostate1016
9/2/08 4:50:08PM
Randy just retired. He thought it was Brock LARSON that he was fighting ("That's the only fight that makes sense for me," says the champ).

ncordless
9/2/08 4:52:04PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Randy just retired. He thought it was Brock LARSON that he was fighting ("That's the only fight that makes sense for me," says the champ).

emfleek
9/2/08 4:53:42PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

bullettdodger
9/2/08 4:53:46PM
So...disappointed in you Dana White.... I know you wanted Randy back... but come on, this is rediculous, should be a 3 Round non-title fight... I smell the Shaw Brothers and Don King poisening the minds of Dana and the Fertitas to make this happen... DAMN YOU DON KING!!!!!
MALICE
9/2/08 4:57:07PM

Posted by bullettdodger

So...disappointed in you Dana White.... I know you wanted Randy back... but come on, this is rediculous, should be a 3 Round non-title fight... I smell the Shaw Brothers and Don King poisening the minds of Dana and the Fertitas to make this happen... DAMN YOU DON KING!!!!!

You just can't stop the King If Don King and Bill Gates ever team up the whole world is screwed.
Chuteboxer
9/2/08 5:06:20PM
This is complete bullshit. Not to mention that this is complete disrespect to the current INTERIM champ who earned his belt the hard way..I agree that Randy never got stripped, but that would only mean that he should fight BIG NOG...

but Lesnar? What'd this guy do to earn a title shot? It's completely undeserved, and if he should win, what's that do for Mir and Nog? Mir I have no real care for, and if he has for win a few more times to earn a shot then fine, but what the hell about Noguiera? He's getting screwed.

As much as I like Dana, this was a bad call. A real bad one. Randy should be fighting Nog, and Lesnar should be fighting someone else. He doesn't derserve to fight Randy right now.
ocho-cinco
9/2/08 5:34:31PM
I agree with most of you that Lesnar probably doesn't deserve a title shot at this point, and Big Nog is getting screwed. But it's not hard to see why Dana put this one togeather, besides the obviously high ratings they will get from this main event. If Brock wins, He now has a new face for the UFC and the heavy weight div. Plus if Randy loses it makes a fight with Fedor much less attractive, and that would be just fine with Dana. If Couture wins then he will have proved he is still at the top, and would still have 2 super fights left against Big Nog, then Fedor. It's quite the gauntlet for a 45yr old to go through but it's good for the UFC no matter how far he makes it. If Brock Loses, it's not the end of the world, there is no shame in losing to Randy Couture. Especially if he puts in a good performance.

MALICE
9/2/08 5:35:49PM

Posted by Chuteboxer

This is complete bullshit. Not to mention that this is complete disrespect to the current INTERIM champ who earned his belt the hard way..I agree that Randy never got stripped, but that would only mean that he should fight BIG NOG...

but Lesnar? What'd this guy do to earn a title shot? It's completely undeserved, and if he should win, what's that do for Mir and Nog? Mir I have no real care for, and if he has for win a few more times to earn a shot then fine, but what the hell about Noguiera? He's getting screwed.

As much as I like Dana, this was a bad call. A real bad one. Randy should be fighting Nog, and Lesnar should be fighting someone else. He doesn't derserve to fight Randy right now.

Yeah, that's the way it should be but that's life. The UFC has a huge opportunity with Randy coming back. Hate to say it but Lesnar is one of the biigest stars in the UFC. Randy too. So the UFC will use Randy's return and Lesnar's new stardom to make a huge fight card pulling in some record numbers most likely.

Nog and Mir will fight just like they are already scheduled to do. The winners of both fights will face each other, and the HW division should be back on track. If Nog is the true champ he will come out on top.

The UFC is just doing business. Fairness doesn't exist in professional sports.
Red-Dragon
9/2/08 5:39:44PM
Most people on this thread seem to think that Brock will win. That being said then why does he not deserve a title shot if most think he is capable of beating the current champ and the interim champ is unavailable? It is not as if Anderson Silva had to have many fights before he got his shot and the rest is history.
gsquat
9/2/08 5:45:31PM
Awesome! I'm so surprised that its for the title though. I can't even hazard a guess at the ppv buys for this event. So I guess Nog/Mir will be for title shot. Brock beats Randy and just about anyone else in UFC's current HW division. Nog might beat him and Fedor probably would if he were part of the picture. I'm glad that he'll be back to get a spanking for ever leaving.
MALICE
9/2/08 5:47:46PM

Posted by Red-Dragon

Most people on this thread seem to think that Brock will win. That being said then why does he not deserve a title shot if most think he is capable of beating the current champ and the interim champ is unavailable? It is not as if Anderson Silva had to have many fights before he got his shot and the rest is history.

I believe this is what everybody means.

Randy - current champ (was never stripped of title) IMO BS!!
Nog - Interim Champ (recognised as champ while current champ is out)
Lesnar - contender

The two champs should fight so there is a legitimate undisputed champ before any contenders get their shots. In this case Nog Interim Title is being ignored. He by all rights should get the first shot at the title.
MMAcca
9/2/08 5:52:57PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Let's see...a 3-fight contract. Brock, Nog, and then Fedor?

EXACTLY!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3