Randy Couture pushing for Emelianenko second, UFC policy changes first

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Randy Couture pushing for Emelianenko second, UFC policy changes first
SmileR
9/11/08 7:40:01PM
A year's worth of legal battles began their conclusion with one obscene joke by "Captain America."

As UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture today told the crew of TAGG Radio, the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com, his year-long conflict with UFC executives needed a creative solution.

Couture discussed that story, as well as explaining the changes he's worked hard to make within the UFC.

"In kind of coming up with some strategies with my attorneys to open some dialogue with the UFC, I sent (UFC President) Dana (White) a nice text," Couture explained. "I told him I was on [an MMA forum], and there were some guys that were bagging on him -- no surprise there. They were saying that he likes to eat [expletive] sandwiches.

"I told [Dana] that I stuck up for him, and that there was no way that could be true because he doesn't even like bread.

"It's true. I sent him that text, and he texted me right back -- laughing his ass off -- saying, 'I'd love to talk to you. We can enjoy some [expletive] sandwiches together.' That started the whole thing."

Link
Mchubb316
9/11/08 7:58:37PM
So it is very possible that Couture could fight Lesnar, and if he wins, then maybe have a fight against Fedor for the UFC HW belt, then assuming Nog beats Mir, we could see Fedor vs Nog again for the unified UFC HW championship assuming Fedor beats Couture. This is getting to be too much.
Mr_Dead_Sexy
9/11/08 8:11:17PM

Posted by Mchubb316

So it is very possible that Couture could fight Lesnar, and if he wins, then maybe have a fight against Fedor for the UFC HW belt, then assuming Nog beats Mir, we could see Fedor vs Nog again for the unified UFC HW championship assuming Fedor beats Couture. This is getting to be too much.

That is assuming Fedor can get through a fight without breaking his hand. I wouldn't think it unreasonable to say we could be another good two years or so from seeing Nog/Fedor.
saemskin
9/11/08 9:46:58PM
I think only good things will come from Randy being back.
prozacnation1978
9/11/08 10:10:13PM
if fedor fights in jan i really don't see the fedor fight second but third choice is likely
haggiswashere
9/11/08 10:47:33PM
god they are screwing nog over again. its not fair. nog has deserved that title shot for a while. i was pissed when they gave the first shot to lesnar but if they make nog wait again for the third shot i will be so pissed.
Naturaldisaster
9/11/08 11:42:21PM
this is like a tournament with nog/mir and randy/lesnar in it. so I doubt a fight with fedor would happen until it is over. cuz either way it works. if randy wins both fights then he and fedor can fight for the title. if he doesnt win then it really doesnt matter anyway because everyone still wants to see randy vs fedor. im not gonna get to excited yet because this fight has been rumored for like 2 years now. but i dont see it happening anytime soon
ThePlague
9/12/08 1:17:55AM
Exactly. I'm surprised Randy still wants to hand pick his opponents like he's above it all. Overlooking Big Nog is a bad idea, I mean I know it was back in the day, but Randy got submitted by Enson Inoue for God's sake.
Jackelope
9/12/08 2:07:09AM
I think the main thing here is the fact that Lorenzo is taking an active role in running the company.

Over the past 6 months Dana has greatly improved his status in my eyes. I guess maybe I missed something somewhere along the lines, but I didn't know Lorenzo was shouldering some workload. I seriously noted a difference in the way Dana was presenting himself ever since the Men's fitness cover and it only makes sense hearing that he was made the "face guy". Good for Dana and good for the UFC. Also, good for Randy not backing down on the fighter's medical expenses issue.

Maybe there is a silver lining after all.
finnish_line
9/12/08 9:02:56AM

They're not going to change the plans for the Tournament.
jomatty
9/12/08 9:08:02AM
randy has a better chance of beating nog than lesnar imo and i think he probably knows it. the deciding factor, im sure, was money. lesnar/couture is a much bigger money maker for everyone involved. its a shame because it can seriously mess up randy/fedor but the ufc gets what the ufc wants...