Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman, Who wins?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman, Who wins?
POLL: Who would win a fight between Mark Coleman and Randy Couture?
Mark Coleman by Decision 5% (2)
Mark Coleman by Submission 0% (0)
Mark Coleman by TKO/KO 10% (4)
Randy Couture by Decision 27% (11)
Randy Couture by Submission 10% (4)
Randy Couture by TKO/KO 49% (20)
NatedawgThaM
9/26/07 5:55:45PM
I mentioned it on the "3 loss and your out" topic and I'll mention it again and ask you guys who wins. This would be a great MMA version of Bernard Hopkins vs. Winky Wright that happened in boxing in July.

They both are wrestlers and both have decent/good striking..

I mean Mark Coleman is a freakin Pit bull and he will be on you for as long as he can. They would both work each other and I predict this would be a war because Mark would be shooting great shots as Randy sprawls and as Randy trys to press Coleman against the fence he'll throw bombs and keep shooting...

This would be a great chess match and I pray the UFC will sign Coleman so we can see this!..Since Randy is UFC HW Champ imagine this fight is 5 5 minutes rounds...Who do you got?

loonytnt
9/26/07 5:59:02PM
randy would win
mrsmiley
9/26/07 6:50:33PM
I'm actualy going with Coleman on this one.You never know what's going to happen with him around.I say Couture out boxes him and trys to pin him up against the cage with the clinch,but coleman out muscles him and lands on top.Taking a little time,Coleman picks his shots and Ko's the champ.

A winded and exhausted Coleman gets a Ko win over Couture.

I don't know though.Randy has more skills,but Coleman a good night is a freaking monster.
Mastodon2
9/26/07 6:51:39PM
I doubt we will ever see it, and not just because of the rumours about the Hammer house "work out shakes", whether they do roids or not isn't for me to say, but I don't think we will ever see Coleman in the UFC again, though he could well sign with a smaller organisation to fight another veteran, sort of like the Sakuraba / Royce II match.

It's a shame though, he is very similar to Randy, without as good gameplanning though. However, his wrestling is superb, and he has a great mix of technique and power, and was ace with the GnP, he always mixed it up, and used the position I refer to as the "coleman", where he was in his opponents guard, and he would stand up and lean forward, resting on his hands in sort of wide based bending over position, then keep popping one of his hands up and slugging his opponent, as his standing position afforded him some great power. A quality competitor for a guy like Randy, Coleman showed that he isn't exactly a striker (when Cro Cop demolished him) but then Randy isn't exaclty a fantastic striker either, and he doesn't have anything like the KO power that Cro Cop has, so it would most likely be a wrestling match, and a pretty damn good one at that.

I think Couture would take a UD, but it would be a very hard fought one at that, Coleman has just what it takes to give Randy a run for his money, but we will never see it. Just like Barnett has (I believe) everything to beat Randy, but Dana will not see him, we have the same case with Coleman. Granted, its less of a sure bet with Coleman imo, but Dana doesn't care about guys like Coleman anymore. He is two one dimensional to fit in with the current UFC HW division I think, and the chances of us ever seeing him in action there are incredibly slim.
NatedawgThaM
9/26/07 6:54:12PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I'm actualy going with Coleman on this one.You never know what's going to happen with him around.I say Couture out boxes him and trys to pin him up against the cage with the clinch,but coleman out muscles him and lands on top.Taking a little time,Coleman picks his shots and Ko's the champ.

A winded and exhausted Coleman gets a Ko win over Couture.

I don't know though.Randy has more skills,but Coleman a good night is a freaking monster.

I second that!!! A focused Mark Coleman is one of the hardest people to beat! He is TOO TOUGH!!! Against Fedor he just wouldn't let go of that single leg and just kept getting pounded on the skull...

They both would have there hands full...WAR!!!
kofranklin
9/26/07 7:03:06PM
Randy would crush Coleman.
mrsmiley
9/26/07 7:10:36PM
I actualy think Coleman would out wrestle Couture,and he would force Randy into a position were his BJJ would get tested.That being said,I realy can't say Randy's BJJ would surpass Colemans wrestling and G&P.

B]IF it came down to that.[
Conartist
9/26/07 7:32:25PM
My decision would depend on whether they are going to fight in either in a ring or a cage. Even though Mark Coleman has fought in the UFC before, he's fought in pride for most of his career. So he's more accustomed to fighting in a ring. Whereas Randy is pretty much a full blooded cage fighter.

Seeing that UFC has acquired Pride, its most likely that Mark Coleman will get signed by the UFC somewhere down the road. So my pick would have to be Randy by decision since they are both hardcore wrestlers and ground and pounders
postman
9/26/07 7:33:28PM
Look at it this way It would be a UFC fight with Roid test advantage Randy!
NatedawgThaM
9/26/07 7:38:18PM

Posted by postman

Coleman ain't on steroids...Coleman fought on Pride 32 the same PPV which Randleman tested postive and Coleman must have passed...

I have Coleman by 4th round TKO by catching Randy....
nubby
9/26/07 8:26:32PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by postman

Coleman ain't on steroids...Coleman fought on Pride 32 the same PPV which Randleman tested postive and Coleman must have passed...

I have Coleman by 4th round TKO by catching Randy....

Did they test all fighters that day? Don't they only test randomly?
NatedawgThaM
9/26/07 8:31:18PM
Well you would think they did because about 3-6 fighters got suspended the week after that event...

Nick Diaz, Kevin Randleman and others...
postman
9/26/07 8:39:48PM
Wow he was one of the few that thought to themselves I am now fighting in the USA I am going to get tested maybe I will lay off for a few so I can pass my test and not lose any money.
fullfighting
9/26/07 11:09:40PM
Randy wins this one. Randy would wear him down and Coleman would gas. Randy doesn't gas and then Randy pounds out a unanimous decision.
Boo_Radley21
9/26/07 11:12:10PM
JuggaloWarrior878
9/26/07 11:30:39PM
i see a competitive first round then randy tkos him in the second
ncordless
9/28/07 2:50:31AM
My guess is it would be similar to Randy v. Tito.

I could see Coleman pwning Randy though, too. If Coleman is taking Randy down, he could really get punished. If they're in the clinch, Randy has the advantage. But in open space Coleman has the better takedowns.
BigEvil
9/28/07 12:14:14PM
Im picking Randy, I just think he's more skilled in every way. However about Coleman taking roids, he fought Fedor in Vegas (I know it wasn't a great fight) I bet he got tested after or before that fight... however I wouldn't put my money on the fact that Coleman is a clean fighter.
Mastodon2
9/28/07 3:04:32PM

Posted by ncordless

My guess is it would be similar to Randy v. Tito.

I could see Coleman pwning Randy though, too. If Coleman is taking Randy down, he could really get punished. If they're in the clinch, Randy has the advantage. But in open space Coleman has the better takedowns.

I'd give Randy the technical skill in most areas, I think including wrestling, but Coleman is stronger, and while strength is not a substitute for technique, Coleman's strength combined with his already great wrestling makes him a better wrestler overall than Randy. Coleman's GnP is also, I feel, more damaging than Randy's. Randy is good, but Coleman's is ace, just look at the ridiculous mess he made of Akira Shoji's side during the Pride 2000 GP. He is built like a tank, and has the strength to match!
sfmaster
9/28/07 5:21:38PM
Randy's Greco Roman is better suited for the cage and MMA in general, not to mention he is much more well rounded and has a bigger gas tank.