Randy Couture: Lyoto Machida Is 'Somebody I'd Like to Fight'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Randy Couture: Lyoto Machida Is 'Somebody I'd Like to Fight'
emfleek
7/15/09 4:49:20PM
Randy Couture is making the media rounds in Portland to promote his August 29 UFC 102 fight with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and in an interesting interview with On Portland, he indicated a desire to move back down from heavyweight to light heavyweight -- at least if it gave him a chance at the light heavyweight champion, Lyoto Machida.

STORY
Irish_Pride
7/15/09 4:57:10PM
Well, I'm sure everyone wants a shot at the LHW Title right now. I don't think Couture can handle the style Machida fights at. His style is just so different, it gives everyone that faces him trouble.
fullfighting
7/15/09 5:22:09PM
I don't like that fight at all.
SmileR
7/15/09 5:26:02PM
Randy stands a good chance of actually beating Machida, he's a big LHW and would dominate the clinch and could use his wrestling to grind out a decision. The only problem I could see is closing the distance to get his hands on Machida.
He's the most elusive fighter out there but Randy has a good a chance as anyone maybe even better if he can get this fight.
KUTTER
7/15/09 5:33:39PM
eeeeehhh I think he got a better chance with brock..Dont think at this point (age wise) he can hang with the quick and nimble Machida

edit= Honestly I think the Nog fight suits him the best. Both very well rounded fighters with a legacy, both little past their prime imo
shevtheman
7/15/09 5:46:48PM
This is interesting and actually something ive not thought of. Out of all the styles i think Randy may have the best one to match upto Machida, we've not seen how he does off his back and even though hes hard to catch you can be damn sure Randy would take him down.
mrsmiley
7/15/09 6:04:38PM
This would be a great fight,but Machida seems to just have a way to discourage the strengths of everyone he faces.
I would be willing to bet Machida would actually put Randy on his back before the fight was over.
Hendo67
7/15/09 6:12:51PM
Randy seems to want to fight everyone...
postman
7/15/09 6:51:23PM

Posted by Hendo67

Randy seems to want to fight everyone...

Thats not fair they asked him if he would like to fight Machida and he said he would. If they asked if he would like o fight Justin McCully I'm sure he would feel he didn't need to fight Justin but prob would take the high road and say with his brawler style he would pose some intreasting problems.
fizzle
7/15/09 6:56:35PM

Posted by SmileR

Randy stands a good chance of actually beating Machida, he's a big LHW and would dominate the clinch and could use his wrestling to grind out a decision. The only problem I could see is closing the distance to get his hands on Machida.
He's the most elusive fighter out there but Randy has a good a chance as anyone maybe even better if he can get this fight.

It seems to me that if Randy can close the distance and clinch, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be able to take Machida down and impose his will, this coming from a self proclaimed Machida Nuthugger.
george112
7/15/09 7:33:15PM
very interesting..

haha to be completely honest i dont think couture would stand a chance against machida.BUT BUT BUT i wouldnt completely count him out.hes proven himself before.eh idk machida?? hes pretty dang good. i dont think couture would even get close enough to clinch with lyoto.lyotos take down defense and counter punching will negate randy imo

jst my thoughts
WheelchairBandit
7/15/09 8:03:33PM
Randy would have a very good shot at beating Machida.

Go watch Machida's fight with BJ Penn.The guy can't defend an upper body lock takedown to save his life.

WB.
george112
7/15/09 9:20:01PM

Posted by WheelchairBandit

Randy would have a very good shot at beating Machida.

Go watch Machida's fight with BJ Penn.The guy can't defend an upper body lock takedown to save his life.

WB.

like i said machidas striking will keep couture away.AND even if couture does get the takedown i dont see machida stayin down very long.

jst my thoughts
Jackelope
7/15/09 9:29:13PM
Machida's fight with BJ Penn was 4 years ago. I think a better gauge of his clinch takedown defense would be against Sokodjou and Tito Ortiz- both of whom he manhandled when they got in close like that. Also- neither of whom are anything to scoff at where effectiveness in the clinch is concerned.

The last person I can think of that Randy fought who used kicks a lot was Gabriel Gonzaga. It's one thing to move in on a guy who uses mostly hands to keep his space, but it's a whole 'nother ball game to move in on a guy who uses kicks to maintain the distance. I would say that Gonzaga applies, but he throws power shots and mostly all head kicks. Machida mixes it up to the body incredibly well. Randy likes to use head movement and boxing combinations to move in. Both of which aren't exactly great for defending against Machida's type of offense. Head movement is bad because you plant your legs, and boxing is bad because it requires a lot less distance than Machida is willing to give people.

I'd like to see the fight, but I don't like Randy's chances at all.
telnights
7/15/09 10:59:28PM
I like Randy for what he has done and I know you should never count him out but I'm counting him out of this fight. Machida's speed and footwork is nothing like anything Randy has ever faced and if he thinks Chuck was great counter striker Machida will eat him alive with it.
prozacnation1978
7/15/09 11:39:16PM
greedy old man!!!
wanting another title shot!!
jtwalker
7/21/09 12:12:42PM
Randy seems to work up a great strategy for any fighter. I would like to see that fight.