Randy Couture Vs Kurt Angle Grappling Match?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Randy Couture Vs Kurt Angle Grappling Match?
Porch28
3/25/08 12:28:11PM
HDNet’s Mark Cuban confirms that Kurt Angle — an Olympic freestyle wrestling gold medalist and current TNA World Heavyweight Champion (professional wrestling) — and UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture are in talks to stage a grappling match sometime in the near future

LINK
Kpro
3/25/08 12:44:09PM
I'm assuming this only appeals to the fans of MMA that also watch wrestling ?
silverbullet
3/25/08 1:00:20PM

Posted by Porch28

HDNet’s Mark Cuban confirms that Kurt Angle — an Olympic freestyle wrestling gold medalist and current TNA World Heavyweight Champion (professional wrestling) — and UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture are in talks to stage a grappling match sometime in the near future

LINK

Randy will tap him
Nightmare27
3/25/08 1:08:22PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Porch28

LINK

Randy will tap him

I think so too. Kurt's only chance is to catch Randy in a choke during a shot or something. I dont see him being to technical on the ground, submission wise.
Evilwig
3/25/08 1:17:42PM
and why would anyone want to see this or even actually pay for this crap...
Randy is reaching a new low every day
KingCreep
3/25/08 1:36:23PM
just like anderson boxing jones jr., i dont like the sounds of this. sure it would be nice to bring respect from outside sports but i don't think randy stands a chance against angle and it may just push wrestling fans away in defence for their sport. but then again, most wrestling fans like the staged stuff and wouldn't really appreciate the match nor would most of the new mma fans. i'll watch it but i'm just undecided as to what could happen for the sport.
Kpro
3/25/08 1:52:16PM

Posted by KingCreep

i don't think randy stands a chance against angle

gartface
3/25/08 2:07:42PM
If Kurt still has that amateur wrestling down like he did when he won the gold, he'd beat Randy.
Not so sure how much pro wrestling has taken away from his game.
ICSlegend
3/25/08 2:09:14PM
I don't think Randy stands too good a chance either unless Angle is really that degenerated. Randy didn't even make the Olympic Team (was alternate), and Angle won gold with a broken neck. Angle is a class above most in wrestling. That being said, Randy would beat him in MMA of course.
Kpro
3/25/08 2:18:18PM
Angle won gold with 2 cracked vertebrae, 2 herniated discs and 4 pulled muscles. But this was 12 years ago and how many neck surgeries ago?

While I haven't heard of Angle dabbling in any sort of wrestling since winning Gold, again 12 years ago, Couture has been the assistant wrestling coach for Oregon State University for the past 15 years or so. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I realize that Couture is older, but I strongly believe that Angle's injuries have aged him far beyond Couture. Couture has more explosiveness at this point IMO, he can land a take-down better than Angle IMO, and I believe he would be able to control top position. And if all else fails, wrenching on the neck is 'end of story' for Kurt.

I do believe that Kurt has a chance to win, I'm simply counterbalancing posts before mine that give Couture no chance.
silverbullet
3/25/08 2:20:48PM

Posted by gartface

If Kurt still has that amateur wrestling down like he did when he won the gold, he'd beat Randy.

If I understand this correctly, this is going to be a submission wrestling match.

RMFG_187
3/25/08 3:15:17PM
I REALLY hope Randy can pull it off, but i am a bit worried. If it is just grappling, not sub wrestling, Randy has no chance. But if it is Submission Wrestling. let us not forget Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Randy Grappled and Ronaldo is one of the most acclaimed BJJ artists in the WORLD. HIGHLY respected, and they grappled and came out a DRAW.

Submission Wrestling, Randy Decision
Wrestling, Kurt by a couple of pins.
nastshabast
3/25/08 3:43:59PM
Randy DQ for knees and elbows.
The_Grim_Reaper
3/25/08 5:34:27PM

Posted by nastshabast

Randy DQ for knees and elbows.

yeah, ok...i think this would be intresting, i actually was flipping and went to spike hoping UFC Unleashed was on but it was TNA instead and i happened to catch Kurt Angle fighting 4 "Pro MMA" Guys in a row one after another, and it showed him like armbar, rear naked choke, guillitine, and i think kimura those guys, it was kinda funny
jiujitsufreak74
3/25/08 5:52:50PM

Posted by KingCreep

just like anderson boxing jones jr., i dont like the sounds of this. sure it would be nice to bring respect from outside sports but i don't think randy stands a chance against angle and it may just push wrestling fans away in defence for their sport. but then again, most wrestling fans like the staged stuff and wouldn't really appreciate the match nor would most of the new mma fans. i'll watch it but i'm just undecided as to what could happen for the sport.

i don't think the Anderson/RJJ analogy applies here. Couture is a lot more experienced then Angle at grappling matches. this is not a wrestling match so Angle doesn't have the edge that you suppose he has. Couture has made the Olympic team before and has done very well in grappling matches so to say that Kurt Angle who hasn't done Collegiate wrestling since he won the Gold medal in 1996 and who hasn't had any formal training in submissions that even compares to Couture's will win in a grappling match is absurd. randy catches Angle is a submission around 7 min into the match. Angle is a great wrestler, but so id Couture and the big difference is the submission game which is a HUGE factor in determining the outcome of this fight. i see Angle leaving himself open due to inexperience with submissions as all wrestlers do and Randy gets his hand raised.

Posted by gartface

even if he did he would still lose as he has no submission game. some of you guys are really forgetting how important the submission game is. and for the record a grappling match infers that it involves submissions, if it was just a wrestling match it would be called a wrestling match. just like all wrestlers transitioning into MMA/JJ Angle will leave himself open. i have seen it way too many times and imo the wrestling skill of Angle isn't pure enough to beat Couture who has the wrestling and submissions to put him away.
Pookie
3/25/08 5:56:08PM

Posted by RMFG_187

I REALLY hope Randy can pull it off, but i am a bit worried. If it is just grappling, not sub wrestling, Randy has no chance. But if it is Submission Wrestling. let us not forget Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza and Randy Grappled and Ronaldo is one of the most acclaimed BJJ artists in the WORLD. HIGHLY respected, and they grappled and came out a DRAW.

Submission Wrestling, Randy Decision
Wrestling, Kurt by a couple of pins.

Exactly... with bjj in place kurt will get beat, probably submitted.
nix7777
3/25/08 6:53:01PM
i think this is pretty stupid in randy's case he has alot more to lose if he doesnt beat him
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
postman
3/25/08 7:03:49PM
I didn't read all the posts will this be a submission wrestling match?
telnights
3/25/08 7:09:37PM
I'm shocked some people think Kurt would win a submission wrestling match over Randy.

Also what is Randy doing committing to other show already. As if he doesnt have enough legal problems this is just going to add to them. Why would you give the UFC legal team more ammo as if they didn't have enough already with him walking out on a legal binding contract. This makes it look like he has 0 respect for our legal system and the Judge is really going to frown on this.

(I know I'm in a legal contract with the UFC but I don't like it anymore so I'm going to try to walk out of the contract and go talk to other company's no matter what this judge says.)

I don't know who Randy has giving him legal advice but he needs to fire them.
ICSlegend
3/25/08 7:20:30PM

Posted by Kpro

Angle won gold with 2 cracked vertebrae, 2 herniated discs and 4 pulled muscles. But this was 12 years ago and how many neck surgeries ago?

While I haven't heard of Angle dabbling in any sort of wrestling since winning Gold, again 12 years ago, Couture has been the assistant wrestling coach for Oregon State University for the past 15 years or so. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I realize that Couture is older, but I strongly believe that Angle's injuries have aged him far beyond Couture. Couture has more explosiveness at this point IMO, he can land a take-down better than Angle IMO, and I believe he would be able to control top position. And if all else fails, wrenching on the neck is 'end of story' for Kurt.

I do believe that Kurt has a chance to win, I'm simply counterbalancing posts before mine that give Couture no chance.

Well I only said IF angle hasn't degenerated that much. If he has, my post doesn't really apply,. If your right about your points, I agree with you.
jgtribbett
3/25/08 8:07:34PM

Posted by Nightmare27

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by Porch28

LINK

Randy will tap him

I think so too. Kurt's only chance is to catch Randy in a choke during a shot or something. I dont see him being to technical on the ground, submission wise.

i dont see randy shooting on kurt... kurt is too good
and yeah i'm sure randy will tap him
jgtribbett
3/25/08 8:12:52PM

Posted by nix7777

i think this is pretty stupid in randy's case he has alot more to lose if he doesnt beat him

no harm in loosing to a guy who won the HW Gold at the olympics.. with a BROKEN NECK.
jiujitsufreak74
3/25/08 8:22:43PM

Posted by metal_mecca43

Posted by nix7777

no harm in loosing to a guy who won the HW Gold at the olympics.. with a BROKEN NECK.

yea but again that was 12 years ago and plus as i have said many times before this is a grappling, not a wrestling match. so imo, to lose to a guy who has not had any real submission training/experience is a really bad thing. if Kurt wins he beat a MMA legend and if he loses no one would honestly give him crap about it because it is Couture for crying out loud. if Couture loses it would be detrimental to lose to someone with little to no submission experience and his fight with Fedor would be tainted, his public perception would be tainted and the UFC would consider him damaged goods. a washed up wrestler who was using this match as an attempt to revitalize a career. Randy definitely has much more to lose...that's not even a question imo.
nix7777
3/25/08 9:40:48PM
exactly
KingCreep
3/26/08 11:00:20PM
i'm gonna go ahead and retract me comment about randy not standing a chance, he always had a chance, he's the man, but i'd have to see the rules and conditions before picking a winner. i have no respect for angle but i just dont think we have alot to gain for the sport and kurt with the wwe fans have everything to gain, win or lose. hope it goes over and well for randy and mma, if anyone decides to pay angle 1M to get his ass kicked in a cage, i'll be one of millions smiling with cash in hand to see that.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
3/27/08 1:43:38AM
I'm a big fan of TNA and Kurt Angle. I'd love to watch this match.
cmill21
3/27/08 1:51:21AM
Al I know about Kurt is he won a gold a long time ago. I suppose he could outwrestle Randy and possibly avoid subs, I mean it's not like Randy is Nog here he doesn't have great subs. I don't really care about this but I think Randy will win. What if he looses? lol
BIGKAT
9/28/08 4:00:31PM
Randy by Anaconda choke