Randy Couture expresses interest in a possible fight with current UFC Middleweight Champion

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Randy Couture expresses interest in a possible fight with current UFC Middleweight Champion
Next Page »
emfleek
8/13/09 4:22:03PM
Chad Dukes: Would you ever consider [dropping to light heavyweight] and facing [Silva]?

Randy Couture: Yeah, are you kidding? I think he's one of the best fighters in the world. Those are the kinds of guys I want to fight. That would be an interesting fight.

I think the guy with a wrestling background that can get their hands on him, tie him up and smother him is definitely a guy that's going to give him fits and make him have a rough night.

STORY
grappler0000
8/13/09 4:25:00PM
That is the longest title I have ever seen
emfleek
8/13/09 4:25:27PM

Posted by grappler0000

That is the longest title I have ever seen

Ha...my bad. I pasted the wrong thing! It's been shortened now.
McBee
8/13/09 5:11:03PM
I am interested in a fight between them but I am not because I do not want Randy to die in the cage
Zekeil
8/13/09 6:29:41PM

Posted by McBee

I am interested in a fight between them but I am not because I do not want Randy to die in the cage

If Lutter gave Silva fits on the ground, what do you think Randy will do.

Randy by UD!
McBee
8/13/09 6:32:20PM

Posted by Zekeil

Posted by McBee

Randy by UD!

I already answered this question

Die in the cage

so please do not do it Dana
Manak
8/13/09 6:40:50PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by Zekeil

Posted by McBee

Randy by UD!

Die in the cage

Lutter may have had anderson on the ground but had full mount and still couldnt hurt or do anything to him then gets subbed, plus randy wont get inside of andersons reach n skill since the only reason lutter got it to the ground was cause anderson throw a flying knee. So im with Mcbee anderson by death
McBee
8/13/09 6:42:13PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by McBee

Posted by Zekeil

Posted by McBee

Randy by UD!

Die in the cage

Lutter may have had anderson on the ground but had full mount and still couldnt hurt or do anything to him then gets subbed, plus randy wont get inside of andersons reach n skill since the only reason lutter got it to the ground was cause anderson throw a flying knee. So im with Mcbee anderson by death

what did Liddell do to Randy? I forgot
zmazing17
8/13/09 6:51:14PM
Any one who thinks Randy could win this fights needs to watch a little more mma. Silva would pick randy apart. Did anyone happen to see what he did to Forrest? It is ridiculous. Anderson Silva will not be beat for a long long time.
GrandMaster313
8/13/09 6:54:42PM
Great Randy this might have been a really nice idea if this was 2 years ago. I dont know....... Unlike Forrest he may not be able to run out of the arena after Silva embarrasses him.
McBee
8/13/09 6:56:04PM

Posted by zmazing17

Any one who thinks Randy could win this fights needs to watch a little more mma. Silva would pick randy apart. Did anyone happen to see what he did to Forrest? It is ridiculous. Anderson Silva will not be beat for a long long time.

only three more and no one besides Roy Jones will have a chance to beat him and he will not fight Machida. I keep on trying to think who would have a good chance of beating him but I cannot, Rampage maybe, but probably not and Fedor vs Silva will not happen for multiple reasons so I do not see him losing which will mean he will be undefeated while fighting in the UFC, I hope he gets a chance at Silva and Shogun though, not that they have chances either.
Nightmare27
8/13/09 7:06:16PM
Im with Randy on this one, although Im not so sure if he is the one to do it. I for one am not going to doubt Randy though, he seems to thrive in those situations.
McBee
8/13/09 7:08:15PM

Posted by Nightmare27

Im with Randy on this one, although Im not so sure if he is the one to do it. I for one am not going to doubt Randy though, he seems to thrive in those situations.

like when he fought Lesner or Chuck? he upset Sylvia and Gonzaga which are where now?
Stills79
8/13/09 7:21:55PM
Randy would get KO'd faster than Forrest. This would be a horrible matchup and a waste of one of the few contract fights Silva has before he retires.
Nightmare27
8/13/09 7:25:50PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by Nightmare27

like when he fought Lesner or Chuck? he upset Sylvia and Gonzaga which are where now?

Oh now I got it, youre just a Randy hater. Well youre intitled to your opinion even if it sucks.
Wallass
8/13/09 9:29:03PM
Why doesnt Randy focus on his fight with Minotauro? One week hes talking about fighting Lyoto and then Anderson the next weeks. Plus, who thinks that he even deserves either of these fight?. I respect what hes accomplished but seriously Randy is one of the most OVERRATED fighter out there right now. Look at his record, hes fought tough guys and shows up when he needs to but the guys fought once in 2 years, is approaching his mid fortys and I think people respect him as a human being more then as a fighter and putting him in with Lyoto and Anderson would be sad to see. Especially since he'll be coming off a loss from Minotauro at the end of the month. Hes the most well known fighter with a 16-9 record.
prozacnation1978
8/13/09 9:30:09PM
glad to see randy already tell silva what his game plan is smother him on ground and feet = boring fight example pellegrino vs neer enough said!!!!!!!!
bigbubbano23
8/13/09 10:07:24PM
i like the idea of randy vs machida better, i don't think randy stands a chance against either but i think he would last longer against machida. he's a good wrestler but his striking won't last against these guys. and they both have really good takedown defense
SUPERMAN155
8/13/09 11:09:08PM
randy has better head movement and is a smarter stand up fighter than forrest, plus has the wrestling skills to take it to the ground, so i dont see a problem with this matchup. randy made brock look human, b4 he got caught.... with that sed tho.....i dont think randy would win, my money is on silva against whoever, hes the modern day bruce lee, 4real. but i do think randy has a much better chance at winning than most. alot of people wanna see the hendo rematch and have faith he can take silva out with a little better gameplan, so y is randy to b counted out so quickly? cuz hes gettin old?? cuz hes proved time and time again that hes not the average forty sumthing year old and his age doesnt matter, his cardio is better than most of the young bucks, and hes 1 of the smartest fighters out there when it comes to gameplans, id pay to see this fight, but id b pickin anderson
postman
8/14/09 1:24:20AM

Posted by Wallass

Why doesnt Randy focus on his fight with Minotauro? One week hes talking about fighting Lyoto and then Anderson the next weeks. Plus, who thinks that he even deserves either of these fight?. I respect what hes accomplished but seriously Randy is one of the most OVERRATED fighter out there right now. Look at his record, hes fought tough guys and shows up when he needs to but the guys fought once in 2 years, is approaching his mid fortys and I think people respect him as a human being more then as a fighter and putting him in with Lyoto and Anderson would be sad to see. Especially since he'll be coming off a loss from Minotauro at the end of the month. Hes the most well known fighter with a 16-9 record.

You guys do know that when in an interview you are asked questions? Is he supposed to say no comment or I guess you can say I'm just looking at Minotauro right now but thats not exactly marketing yourself now is it. If Randy was Bloging every week that he wants to fight this guy and that guy then I can see where you are coming from but someone asked the question he answered it. He is also the best fighter to have a 16-9 record. He has fought in what isn't it 16 Title fights? Funny you say they respect him more as a person then a fighter hes been Divorced 3 times other then that we really know little about the Man personaly.

Now to the topic Randy has the style to beat both men I agree though that being in his Mid fortys isn't the body he needs to have to do it. Could he win sure he could, would I bet on it no.
jiujitsufreak74
8/14/09 2:33:06AM
i have never seen a thread where i disagree with so much being said lol. not going to quote anyone specifically, but i'm just going to lay my thoughts out:

-Randy is dead on, imo, about how to defeat Silva. and, it just so happens to be, that he posses that style which would make him difficult fight for Silva.

-If this fight were to happen, even my grandmother could have told you Couture's strategy, so it isn't like he is giving away nuclear codes with his statements or anything.

-Neer vs Pelelgrino was not boring at all to me; i absolutely loved that fight. i guess it's because i love the technical ground work and like Joe Rogan actually said during the PPV, to a guy who is experienced in grappling this is extremely entertaining as you can pick up on all the little things are happening so fast.

-What did you want Randy to say? he was asked a question, it isn't like he is calling Silva out or anything. would you rather have had him say he wouldn't take the fight? i know i wouldn't want that.
Aaronno9
8/14/09 4:54:47AM
mentalcase
8/14/09 6:39:09AM
randy got KO'd by chuck last 2 times they fought Anderson is even more deadly with his strikes then chuck

Anderson would destroy randy
SpiderSilva
8/14/09 10:18:10AM
You all know who I would take in this fight but I hope this fight never happens becauseit would destroy my house worse the gsp bj as my wifes fav fighter is Randy and it would be trash talking all the way up to the death of Randy away I would love to see it but Anderson has the LHWs devision to clean out before he retires and I'm sure when that time comes the UFC is going to offer him some major $$$$ to stay so who knows hell if shogun beats machita Silva might just get the next title shot at 205
finnish_line
8/14/09 11:02:07AM

Randy would be lucky to escape the first round.

Anderson's just too mobile and accurate.
hippysmacker
8/14/09 11:05:01AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i have never seen a thread where i disagree with so much being said lol. not going to quote anyone specifically, but i'm just going to lay my thoughts out:

-Randy is dead on, imo, about how to defeat Silva. and, it just so happens to be, that he posses that style which would make him difficult fight for Silva.

-If this fight were to happen, even my grandmother could have told you Couture's strategy, so it isn't like he is giving away nuclear codes with his statements or anything.

-Neer vs Pelelgrino was not boring at all to me; i absolutely loved that fight. i guess it's because i love the technical ground work and like Joe Rogan actually said during the PPV, to a guy who is experienced in grappling this is extremely entertaining as you can pick up on all the little things are happening so fast.

-What did you want Randy to say? he was asked a question, it isn't like he is calling Silva out or anything. would you rather have had him say he wouldn't take the fight? i know i wouldn't want that.

bullseye. props
mrsmiley
8/14/09 11:33:53AM
I say Anderson would take Couture late in the first or midway in the second,but The Natural would defenintly pose some problems for Anderson.

The problem with closing the distance on Anderson and taking him down,is that in the clinch phase of combat(assuming you get that close),your going to have to negate those deadly knees of his.
Even if you get him down,if he's managed to get a few of those knees in on you,it's gonna take some wind out of your sails and then you're going to spend the majority of the time on top of him just trying to get your breath back.
If you've ever been in training,and your sparring partner gets a good knee in on you when your breathing in,you know how it feels.
I can only shutter in imagining how powerful Andersons knees are.

But Randy has a way of just making his gameplan work,and negating his opponents will.
I'm still impressed with how he pinned Brock up against the cage right in the beginning of their fight.
If he can work his leverage in that degree against a bull like Brock, I think it's safe to assume he could do the same to Anderson.
Allbeit,Anderson poses a whole different set of challenges than Brock.
McBee
8/14/09 11:40:13AM

Posted by mrsmiley

I say Anderson would take Couture late in the first or midway in the second,but The Natural would defenintly pose some problems for Anderson.

I never doubted Randy's ability to aggravate and prologue the fight but I know Anderson would end up winning in devastating fashion and if he attacks and tries to strike like in the 2nd Liddell fight he will get KOed a minute or two into the fight. I think he would be smarter than that though.
mrsmiley
8/14/09 11:44:40AM

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

I never doubted Randy's ability to aggravate and prologue the fight but I know Anderson would end up winning in devastating fashion and if he attacks and tries to strike like in the 2nd Liddell fight he will get KOed a minute or two into the fight. I think he would be smarter than that though.

Yeah I pretty much agree with you.
I think Randy has the potential to win against Anderson,but that all depends on Randy not taking a significant amount of damage.
And with Anderson,one lazy punch can be the end of the night for any would be opponent he may face.
The odds would be stacked against Randy for sure.
joshryanshepherd
8/14/09 2:24:48PM
Randy has some of the best head movement in the sport. this would be anything but an easy fight for Anderson. the only people that Anderson has "smoked" are LHs who walk right at him just like Leben. Randy has a better chance on the feet then Anderson does on the ground.

And on Neer and Kurt. Kurt made that fight not so entertaining. Neer was all about having that great fight we the fans were looking forward to. but Kurt expressed himself that, he hit Neer with his best shot and seen he couldn't do anything on the feet so he just took him down to play it safe. and if you know Jits then you would have seen that Neer was working better off his back than kurt was on top. man those judges loved Take downs that night...
Pages: [1] 2