Randy Couture Doesn't Care, but Thinks Brock Lesnar Will Beat Frank Mir

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Randy Couture Doesn't Care, but Thinks Brock Lesnar Will Beat Frank Mir
emfleek
7/9/09 10:41:18AM
Randy Couture has a big fight ahead of him against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 102, and if he wins he might just get another crack at the UFC heavyweight title, which will be decided in the main event of UFC 100, Frank Mir vs. Brock Lesnar. But Couture says he doesn't much care who wins that fight.

"I think both guys are amazing fighters," Couture tells our friend Steve Cofield of CageWriter.com. "I don't really care one way or the other. I'm leaning toward Lesnar. It's always harder for the guy who won the first one to make adjustments, come back and win again."

STORY
Rush
7/9/09 11:39:37AM

I disagree with Couture when he says that it's harder for the guy who wins the first time to come back and win again the second time. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I believe that in MMA, the winner of the first fight wins about 70% of the rematches.

I don't buy this statment at all.

Here are the UFC/Pride examples off the top of my head where the first winner did not take the rematch

Couture vs. Liddell
Couture vs. Belfort
Stout vs. Fisher
Hughes vs. Penn
Hughes vs. St Pierre
Horn vs. Liddell
Barnett vs. Nog
Syvia vs. Arlovski
Crocop vs. Randleman
Henderson vs. Misaki
Mezger vs. Ortiz
Silva vs. Henderson
Silva vs. ARona

Here are the ones I thought of where the first winner also won the rematch
Ortiz vs. Shamrock
Griffen vs. Bonnar
Silva vs. Rampage
Herring vs. Nog
Fedor vs. Nog
Couture vs. Rizzo
Crocop vs. Barnett
Ortiz vs. Liddell
Silva vs. Sakuraba
Rampage vs. Liddell

I only looked into the first two fights of the ones that were trilogies. So far it looks more like 56% of rematches end differently, contrary to the guy saying 30%
jay98107
7/9/09 5:06:07PM

Posted by Rush

I disagree with Couture when he says that it's harder for the guy who wins the first time to come back and win again the second time. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but I believe that in MMA, the winner of the first fight wins about 70% of the rematches.

I don't buy this statment at all.

Here are the UFC/Pride examples off the top of my head where the first winner did not take the rematch

Couture vs. Liddell
Couture vs. Belfort
Stout vs. Fisher
Hughes vs. Penn
Hughes vs. St Pierre
Horn vs. Liddell
Barnett vs. Nog
Syvia vs. Arlovski
Crocop vs. Randleman
Henderson vs. Misaki
Mezger vs. Ortiz
Silva vs. Henderson
Silva vs. ARona

Here are the ones I thought of where the first winner also won the rematch
Ortiz vs. Shamrock
Griffen vs. Bonnar
Silva vs. Rampage
Herring vs. Nog
Fedor vs. Nog
Couture vs. Rizzo
Crocop vs. Barnett
Ortiz vs. Liddell
Silva vs. Sakuraba
Rampage vs. Liddell

I only looked into the first two fights of the ones that were trilogies. So far it looks more like 56% of rematches end differently, contrary to the guy saying 30%

I'm pretty sure that statistic he gave is right, I've read it on multiple occasions and I'll try to find the source.
nickcuc547
7/9/09 5:31:04PM
sometimes one guy just outclasses the other, when two fighters are fairly even in skill set, then it's easier for the loser to make the adjustments.