Randy Couture has brought back "respect" to the UFC Heavy Weight Division

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Randy Couture has brought back "respect" to the UFC Heavy Weight Division
aceprone
8/30/07 3:51:39AM
I was thinking about the UFC's current heavyweight division and how much it is exploding with fighters like Cro Cop, Nog and so fourth. But then again I started thinking to myself, "even with these recent additions to the heavyweight division the division, something still seems to be lacking."

For instance, Cro Cop is regarded as the best striker in the world and the world see's him get knocked out by someone who wasn't at the time ranked in the top 10 in the world. Nog has his first fight in the UFC and it was somewhat lack luster. Arvloski has a boring fight with Werdum. Tim Sylvia has a couple boring title defenses. Something was missing in the division.

Then comes Randy Couture, old and over the hill, and he decides to step up to the plate to face the Giant. He igonres all the dangers that was going to face him, even based off of his last performances against Chuck. But he did it anyways. And the one thing Randy did he faced Tim and Gonzaga; he was willing to lay it on the line and not play is safe! Randy came to fight! Something the heavyweight division has forgotten.

No one in that division has an excuse not to lay it on the line anymore, when the heavy weight champion is suppose to be a 44 year old man over his prime: "washed up." And with Randy Couture's return, he has not only brought back "respect" to the heavyweight division but he has brought back "HEART!" And to me, that's what makes him a legend above anything else. He has brought back what was missing.
Jackelope
8/30/07 11:46:06AM
Yep, and I'd hate to see the UFC HW division turn into a Lennox Lewis title reign. These guys definitely need to lay it on the line and Randy is willing to do that.

However, I will say that I think people are going to be impressed with Nog when they get to see more of him.
sakurabaforever
8/30/07 1:15:07PM
Wow, good post TS. It's so true. No one was really going all out! Then again, Randy didn't have much to lose, no one expecting him to win. Same with GG. The other heavies really should step it up, the old man is showing them up.

MMAnomale
8/30/07 2:27:09PM
Good Post.
Randy isn't the most talented fighter, but he will throw-down with anybody. He's had a great career and it's still going, and looking just as good as ever. If he fights Big Nog, he needs to watch out for the submissions. Believe it or not, if they sign Fedor, I think Couture, with his style, would give him a great fight. I think he matches up with him better than any other HW. I don't know why, I just do. Hopefully, when Couture is scheduled to fight again in early '08, it'll be against Fedor (although Fedor said he wanted at least one "warm-up" fight in the UFC).
Ydoc
8/30/07 7:17:55PM
Yeah... good post. Couture really is the face of the UFC right now, by a lot right now.
hippysmacker
8/31/07 10:04:44AM

Posted by aceprone

I was thinking about the UFC's current heavyweight division and how much it is exploding with fighters like Cro Cop, Nog and so fourth. But then again I started thinking to myself, "even with these recent additions to the heavyweight division the division, something still seems to be lacking."

For instance, Cro Cop is regarded as the best striker in the world and the world see's him get knocked out by someone who wasn't at the time ranked in the top 10 in the world. Nog has his first fight in the UFC and it was somewhat lack luster. Arvloski has a boring fight with Werdum. Tim Sylvia has a couple boring title defenses. Something was missing in the division.

Then comes Randy Couture, old and over the hill, and he decides to step up to the plate to face the Giant. He igonres all the dangers that was going to face him, even based off of his last performances against Chuck. But he did it anyways. And the one thing Randy did he faced Tim and Gonzaga; he was willing to lay it on the line and not play is safe! Randy came to fight! Something the heavyweight division has forgotten.

No one in that division has an excuse not to lay it on the line anymore, when the heavy weight champion is suppose to be a 44 year old man over his prime: "washed up." And with Randy Couture's return, he has not only brought back "respect" to the heavyweight division but he has brought back "HEART!" And to me, that's what makes him a legend above anything else. He has brought back what was missing.

I completely agree about Randy laying it on the line. I just hope your right about inspiring others to not be so cautious.
jocksmall
8/31/07 6:21:32PM
i agree mostly as well and i hope your right about laying it on the line as well. i would even take it a step farther and say i would like to see the ufc encourage fighters to be more agressive by giving more pay to those who put on the best show or make the decisions weighted towards the guy who is being more aggressive and trying to end the fight
hippysmacker
8/31/07 8:07:34PM

Posted by jocksmall

i agree mostly as well and i hope your right about laying it on the line as well. i would even take it a step farther and say i would like to see the ufc encourage fighters to be more agressive by giving more pay to those who put on the best show or make the decisions weighted towards the guy who is being more aggressive and trying to end the fight

They kind of do that already with the bonuses, but I get your drift. I would like it if across the board they got paid more for finishing a guy .
johny_rotten
8/31/07 9:46:43PM
Great post! As much as I am a fan of Randy's and would never hope him to lose there is something else he is doing for the HW division. What was the biggest joke of a division in the fan's eye, Randy gave it creditability. As he will give the man who defeats him to take that belt. Much like he did for Chuck he will make who ever takes that belt from him a lot of money and respect.
aceprone
9/1/07 12:54:20AM

Posted by johny_rotten

Great post! As much as I am a fan of Randy's and would never hope him to lose there is something else he is doing for the HW division. What was the biggest joke of a division in the fan's eye, Randy gave it creditability. As he will give the man who defeats him to take that belt. Much like he did for Chuck he will make who ever takes that belt from him a lot of money and respect.

I completely agree. Randy Couture is going to make you earn that ranked spot. You're going to have to come after him with your heart and soul. He has one of the strongest wills in the game!
matthughes23
9/1/07 5:36:45AM
I think Randy will continue to dominate the HW division. I think he can beat cro cop and big nog. I think the only fighters that have a good chance of taking him out are Vera or Fedor
Believe-in-judo81
9/1/07 1:28:19PM
Randy Has looked great as of late but unless his next opponent is Crocop he has almost no chance of breaking into the top four.Fedor and Nog are too tough/ well rounded. Barnett is a bad match up and has beat him before, and even with crocop he's fighting a talented veteran that only needs one opening to end Randy's night. He's a legend and I've enjoyed watching him over the years but all the fans have to realize that he very well could be at the pinnacle of his career.
nubby
9/1/07 3:12:52PM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

Randy Has looked great as of late but unless his next opponent is Crocop he has almost no chance of breaking into the top four.Fedor and Nog are too tough/ well rounded. Barnett is a bad match up and has beat him before, and even with crocop he's fighting a talented veteran that only needs one opening to end Randy's night. He's a legend and I've enjoyed watching him over the years but all the fans have to realize that he very well could be at the pinnacle of his career.

They pretty much called his career behind him when he beat Tito Ortiz also. He's not done until he gives up.
johny_rotten
9/1/07 9:55:12PM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

Logicly I don't think Randy can win against Fedor, Nog, Barnett, and Cro Cop. At the same time logic has no bearing on Randy's career. Logicly he was going to lose to Vitor at the very beginning. He was supposed to lose to Randleman the first guy he fought who was a better wrestler than him self. Pedro Rizzo was the favorite the first time he went up against Randy. So much so that the UFC gave him a huge contract before the fight, and ran a spotlight on him leasing up to the fight. Then when Randy did lose. The UFC brought him back for one last fight where he was to lose to Chuck. He was hand picked to give Chuck's reign as LHW champ legitimacy with the feat that Tito would never put the belt on the line. Whupps Randy stomps him. Then again as an underdog to a younger version of him self who supposedly was stronger and faster Randy unified the belt in a destruction of Tito. Then add in his most recent journey, and you have a man that defies just about every rule of the sport. Randy isn't my favorite fighter or even top 10, but I won't pick against him again. I don't care if he is fighting Fedor.
bow_down1991
9/8/07 5:02:23AM
I have to disagree to this topic. Gonzaga, as far as I'm concerned, is a nobody. The only reason why he is even in the news is because he knocked out Cro Cop with a freak kick. 9.5 times out of 10, If Cro Cop actually trained in a cage, trained himself in managing space, didnt drop his guard too much, in other words his "A" Game, Gonzaga would lose. Face it, he's a one- hit wonder. Good for him, he beat Cro Cop, but I can garuntee, that if they fought again, Cro Cop would win.

If Couture really did bring back "respect" he brought it back to an already weak Heavyweight Division. Andrei isn't the same fighter as he was, he doesnt have the same intensity anymore, he's afraid to get hit. . . If Fedor came to the UFC, he'd dominate a pretty weak HW Division. Good for Couture, keeping his title. . .though after the fight, when he was talking to Gonzaga and he was saying how he knew Gonzaga was going to win. . .No, he didnt KNOW, Gonzaga was going to win, He was HOPING, Gonzaga would win. Cro Cop right now, is the biggest HW threat. . .
hippysmacker
9/8/07 5:22:57AM

Posted by bow_down1991

I have to disagree to this topic. Gonzaga, as far as I'm concerned, is a nobody. The only reason why he is even in the news is because he knocked out Cro Cop with a freak kick. 9.5 times out of 10, If Cro Cop actually trained in a cage, trained himself in managing space, didnt drop his guard too much, in other words his "A" Game, Gonzaga would lose. Face it, he's a one- hit wonder. Good for him, he beat Cro Cop, but I can garuntee, that if they fought again, Cro Cop would win.

If Couture really did bring back "respect" he brought it back to an already weak Heavyweight Division. Andrei isn't the same fighter as he was, he doesnt have the same intensity anymore, he's afraid to get hit. . . If Fedor came to the UFC, he'd dominate a pretty weak HW Division. Good for Couture, keeping his title. . .though after the fight, when he was talking to Gonzaga and he was saying how he knew Gonzaga was going to win. . .No, he didnt KNOW, Gonzaga was going to win, He was HOPING, Gonzaga would win. Cro Cop right now, is the biggest HW threat. . .

It's interesting how you doubt Randy Coutures integrity, and act like your opinion is fact. A fact is water is wet. You may think that if Cro-cop fought Gonzaga again he would win, and I agree with you, butthat doesn't mean Gonzaga is not a top 10 fighter. Still, you don't know that and can not garuntee anything . It's just an opinion . As for the UFC HVY division being weak? It's currently the strongest HVYweight division in the world . I agree that their are usually less top fighters at the heavier weights, but the only 2 that would be in contention in the UFC now are Fedor/Barnett( Sergei has an outside shot if he gets back on track) . Hunt and Alex both are to weak on the ground to survive against a good grappler in a cage IMO. I also think Fedor would take the belt if he signs with the UFC, but he didn't dominate Cro-cop when they fought the first time, or Nog the last time. He just beat them by decision, so please just chill with the hyperbole.
-RiK-
9/8/07 5:39:10AM
i think he represents the sport extremely well, and it's good for the UFC and MMA in general to have a champion like randy in the media proving that MMA is a sport on the uprise and should be taken very seriously :)