Randy Couture: ‘I’ve got no beef with Dana’ White

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Randy Couture: ‘I’ve got no beef with Dana’ White
SmileR
4/29/08 11:05:33AM
Heres the link... I'll let everyone make up their own mind on what he says.

Link
MMAcca
4/29/08 1:40:41PM
When he said something about all the fighters combined salaries of THE WHOLE of last year being less than $17 million!?

Could that be true ??????
juanez13
4/29/08 2:02:42PM
that old guy was pretty funny.

and about randy, of course he has no beef against Dana, becuase Dana wasnt the one that screwed him over. it was he that screwed the UFC by not fulfilling his contract
telnights
4/29/08 2:37:30PM
I'm just tired of hearing from Randy and his BS. The hole $17 mill statement was total BS. I bet you anything Chuck made close to that by himself last year. Randy, Tito, and Chuck together made way more than that last year as all 3 get a cut of the PPVs as does almost all headliners. So if you take all the main events and championship fights last year and take in to account that almost all involved got a small cut of the PPVs you will see they made way over 17 mill. He brings up Floyd Mayweather and the fact he made more than 17 mill for one fight but thats one of the problems with boxing its not a good thing that he is making that kind of money per fight. The day MMA fighters start getting payed that much is the day we start seeing very weak cards with the only top 20 fighters on the card being the main event and us as fans still having to pay $40 to $60 for a PPV.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
4/29/08 4:19:55PM
Here is the fact of the matter on fighter pay: Fighter pay should be expressed as a percentage of the GROSS revenue. In other pro sports, ie. NFL, NBA etc., the talent gets over 50% of gross revenue. UFC's talent is getting less than 10% of gross.
Zuffa and DW can claim till the end of time that they are in debt and still recupping their investments. They could litterally never be "profittable" if they choose.
Spread the word of 50% of gross revenue fighter pay.

Darnok
4/29/08 4:56:08PM

Posted by telnights

I'm just tired of hearing from Randy and his BS. The hole $17 mill statement was total BS. I bet you anything Chuck made close to that by himself last year. Randy, Tito, and Chuck together made way more than that last year as all 3 get a cut of the PPVs as does almost all headliners. So if you take all the main events and championship fights last year and take in to account that almost all involved got a small cut of the PPVs you will see they made way over 17 mill. He brings up Floyd Mayweather and the fact he made more than 17 mill for one fight but thats one of the problems with boxing its not a good thing that he is making that kind of money per fight. The day MMA fighters start getting payed that much is the day we start seeing very weak cards with the only top 20 fighters on the card being the main event and us as fans still having to pay $40 to $60 for a PPV.

I have been saying this for a long time. I dont want MMA turning into boxing, that would suck.
jgtribbett
4/29/08 8:48:12PM

Posted by telnights

you're insane.. we arent talking about indoresements or anything like that.. we are talking about UFC fighters compared to other athletes..
NeaRMisS
4/30/08 12:30:35AM

Posted by telnights

You do relize you are adding in indorsements, sponsors, etc... in that 17 mill; Randy is just talking about the paychecks they are getting from contracts / UFC. I doubt he is even putting bonuses in that, its just him saying what the UFC's contracts are with the fighters. Which in all honesty sounds about right.

Now I dont think they need to make 20 mill a fight, but overall I do think fighters need a better pay scale.
EON
4/30/08 1:23:51AM

Posted by NeaRMisS

indorsements

Posted by jgtribbett

indorsements

I guess "Endorsements" is a hard word to spell.......
telnights
4/30/08 3:17:43AM

Posted by jgtribbett

you're insane.. we arent talking about indoresements or anything like that.. we are talking about UFC fighters compared to other athletes..

Posted by NeaRMisS
You do relize you are adding in indorsements, sponsors, etc... in that 17 mill; Randy is just talking about the paychecks they are getting from contracts / UFC. I doubt he is even putting bonuses in that, its just him saying what the UFC's contracts are with the fighters. Which in all honesty sounds about right.

Now I dont think they need to make 20 mill a fight, but overall I do think fighters need a better pay scale.

LOL Insane hum.... I never even said endorsements you two did. You two just took it as so and need to reread my post. The fact is their cut of the PPV has nothing at all to do with endorsements. Almost all fighters that are in the UFC that have a title fight or are part of a main event get a cut of the PPV sales. The PPV % is not shown when the UFC reports the fighters pay to state commission. This is because the true number of the PPV is not known till later. This % is in most cases a lot large than the fighters base pay. This is the same BS randy try to pull about his contract when he left the UFC he tried to BS the fans in to thinking all he got payed was his base pay when he was getting a % of the PPV sales. The UFC's pay structure is heavily based on bonuses and PPV %. So for Randy or anyone else to say that the fighters as a whole didn't make more than 17 Mill last year is BS and thats with out counting endorsements or sponsors.

Now on a side note I like the way the UFC does things because it makes fighters want to finish or at least not pull a "Starnes" to get a bonus it also gives them a goal. Not only a short term goal but also a long term goal. If you keep doing well you will be in a main event which then you can make lot of money from PPV sales.

Darnok
4/30/08 12:02:08PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by jgtribbett

Posted by NeaRMisS

LOL Insane hum.... I never even said endorsements you two did. You two just took it as so and need to reread my post. The fact is their cut of the PPV has nothing at all to do with endorsements. Almost all fighters that are in the UFC that have a title fight or are part of a main event get a cut of the PPV sales. The PPV % is not shown when the UFC reports the fighters pay to state commission. This is because the true number of the PPV is not known till later. This % is in most cases a lot large than the fighters base pay. This is the same BS randy try to pull about his contract when he left the UFC he tried to BS the fans in to thinking all he got payed was his base pay when he was getting a % of the PPV sales. The UFC's pay structure is heavily based on bonuses and PPV %. So for Randy or anyone else to say that the fighters as a whole didn't make more than 17 Mill last year is BS and thats with out counting endorsements or sponsors.

Now on a side note I like the way the UFC does things because it makes fighters want to finish or at least not pull a "Starnes" to get a bonus it also gives them a goal. Not only a short term goal but also a long term goal. If you keep doing well you will be in a main event which then you can make lot of money from PPV sales.

Good to hear some common sense.

And don't worry about these UFC haters they will try anything to turn out sport into a boxing fiascal.
kurt-2112
6/8/08 5:31:57PM
The longer the randy fedor fight takes to happen, the more chance fedor has of winning.
EliasG
6/9/08 10:24:26AM
The guys who say that the fighters shouldn't get paid more must work at the car wash and be happy with their minimum wage. "Please boss, don't pay me more, I loves working for 6 an hour."

Fighters have a 5-6 year window of time to make money. It's a brutal difficult sport where your peak fighting condition does not always coincide with your peak earning ability. You can be great one day and then garbage the next--witness Hughes fall from grace. You have to "make" money when you can, when you're hot, when you can negotiate the highest payout. It may never come again.

Any industry that makes 60-90% of the revenues and doesn't put that money back in its employees pockets is in a good position--but only for the owners--not for the employees.

If you are the kind of guy that gets kicked in the nuts and says thank you again, please you'll love the deal fighters get. If you have ever negotiated your own contract and DIDN'T get raped on it, you'll pull for the fighters.

When these guys are done with fighting--in their 30's, what will they have to fall back on after all that they sacrificed and gave to the sport? No pension, no insurance, no retirement, no job in the front office. Just scars, bad joints, 5 years of 2 and 3 adays 6 times per week.

Pay the athlete. Something this high profile should pay it's athletes better than Minor league baseball.
bigbubbano23
6/9/08 11:34:51AM
the fact is that ufc fighters who make lets say 300,000 a fight. are not getting paid enough. sure that is a lot of money but because of that money and other revenue they may be bringing in they are taxed in the fiftieth percentile. which sucks and the fighter who only make 5,000 per fight cant live of that. that's like a total of 20k a year. i think if they keep it up more fighters are gonna leave for higher pay elsewhere.
casey64
6/9/08 5:13:37PM

Posted by EON

Posted by NeaRMisS

indorsements

Posted by jgtribbett

indorsements

I guess "Endorsements" is a hard word to spell.......

Stick with the topic, man do I hate when people do this! Anyway I just think he needs to quit cryin and come back and finish out his contract!
GrandMaster313
6/9/08 6:43:52PM

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

Here is the fact of the matter on fighter pay: Fighter pay should be expressed as a percentage of the GROSS revenue. In other pro sports, ie. NFL, NBA etc., the talent gets over 50% of gross revenue. UFC's talent is getting less than 10% of gross.
Zuffa and DW can claim till the end of time that they are in debt and still recupping their investments. They could litterally never be "profittable" if they choose.
Spread the word of 50% of gross revenue fighter pay.

Since When does a $2 Million dollar investment not become profittable if They are making well more than 20x that amount per PPV?????????? Zuffa and White I think are feeding people mmmmbullshit! ::COUGH,COUGH::