Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Next Page »
chickmagnet
7/1/09 5:17:48PM
This fight isnt talked about as much as I thought it would be. I think this fight is very evenly matched. They both are on par with eachother in the stand-up game, both having good boxing skills. The clinch is obviously Couture's advantage. And the ground game is obviously Couture's advantage. Nogueira has a great chin but has recently been stopped. Same with Randy. Both are coming off TKO losses from punches. Both are going to be hungry to win.

I think Couture will take this fight because of his great conditioning and ability to impose his will. I think he will keep this in the clinch for the majority of the fight, landing good knees and strikes from the clinch position. I think when they are separated you will see a tactical boxing batlle. Basically this will be a war of attrition that Randy will win, Nog has taken too many hits in his long career.

Couture by UD

What do you think?
State_Champ
7/1/09 5:25:59PM

I like both these fighters A LOT... Randy is my absolute favorite so I'm choosing Randy because I never pick against him.
mkiv9secsupra
7/1/09 6:34:55PM
3 years ago i would have picked Nogueira without even thinking about it. But Nogeuira's greatest advantage has always been his BJJ yet his only sub in the last three years is against Sylvia. Maybe his grappling has taken a hit after spending more time on his boxing? Nogueira's only hope on getting it to the ground is pulling guard in which case the only sub i think he can secure is a guillotine/armbar. I think almost the entire fight will be standing where i think Couture has a slight advantage so im going pick

Couture UD but im hoping Nogueira wins
prozacnation1978
7/1/09 6:53:10PM
i just spent over 700 dollars to go to portland just to see randy fight once live before he hangs them up
i hope he wins
nickcuc547
7/1/09 7:11:22PM
i don't know if randy has an advantage on the ground, i hope he takes it there, because nog will slap a sub on him and make him quit, randy needs to keep the fight standing and stay in the clinch, (which i think he can do), he doesn't want this fight on the mat. eventually i think nog gets it to the ground and beats him, lets not forget nog's boxing is better than randy's as well. tough fight to call but nog bounces back sending randy into a second retirement.
EvenFlow
7/1/09 9:00:39PM
First, Randy screws Nog out of a title shot and they make this interim crap between the two most deserving, he makes movies, gets money hungry when he shouldnt be and hunts for Fedor (when he knows the UFC will never let it happen, ironic)

Second, he waits until Mir and Nog are caught up then he gives the guy he thinks he can beat the easiest a shot in Brock, now he wants to fight Nog now that he thinks hes slowing down lol Randys lucky to have been handed so many freebie title shots. I hope Nog makes you turn purple Randy until you go limp, and you retire with that 16-10 record you deserve. Nog is the real champion of the two.

War Nog!!
chickmagnet
7/1/09 9:05:38PM

Posted by EvenFlow

First, Randy screws Nog out of a title shot and they make this interim crap between the two most deserving, he makes movies, gets money hungry when he shouldnt be and hunts for Fedor (when he knows the UFC will never let it happen, ironic)

Second, he waits until Mir and Nog are caught up then he gives the guy he thinks he can beat the easiest a shot in Brock, now he wants to fight Nog now that he thinks hes slowing down lol Randys lucky to have been handed so many freebie title shots. I hope Nog makes you turn purple Randy until you go limp, and you retire with that 16-10 record you deserve. Nog is the real champion of the two.

War Nog!!

I like your thinking and I somewhat agree. I agree that Nog got screwed out of being the Undisputed champ. I believe he was the undisputed champ because wasn't Randy technically out of the UFC for a while? If he wasnt than they shouldnt have made Sylvia/Nogueira a title fight, but they did and it should have been for the undisputed title.
EvenFlow
7/1/09 9:08:51PM
He shouldve been stripped, period, hes just a padded poster boy and I hope he goes unconscious.

War Nog!
JahanJahkesh
7/1/09 10:23:32PM
Your a Randy hater so I dont take anything you say on this as credible.

The fact you talk about his record says all I need to know about what you think of mma. Its not about records its who you fight. There are many fighters who have better records than Randy and have no chance of being in the ufc cause they are not good enough. Dare me and Ill name you a boatload.

Randy only fights the best and beats the best or in his losses, hes been very compititve. Look at the times he did not win, he always put up a good fight. Hes a lhw he is so hardcore talented he can go up a weightclass and clown top 10 heavies.

Big Nog was getting tooled by Tim, till he got that round 3 sub. Randy dominated Tim in 5 rounds imposing his will. Then he went and destroyed Gabriel when his value was the highest.

I am cool with you liking Big Nog, but your bashing of Randy is way out of line. I mean way out of line. I am a fan of both and its a fight that both have an equal chance of winning but dont take away from Randy's career.

And for the record I think Randy beats Big Nog. LMFAO, yeah he was ducking Big Nog to fight Fedor. That makes a lot of sense. Scared of Big Nog, but not scared of Fedor, okay. And what do you mean waited till Big Nog got past his prime, Big Nog still might have more good fights in him, if your a fan like you say your are, you would know he fought Mir with a staph infection. And Randy is more than 10 years older than Big Nog.

Both are great fighters will tremendous class. Dont **** on one to promote the other.
cheesy-maggot
7/2/09 1:04:55AM
Idk how you people could say Coutures ground game is better? Yes he has better wrestling, but we all know Nogueira is a master on the ground, so he most likely wont take it there.
As for boxing I'd say they are pretty equal, and if Big Nog shows the nice boxing he has I think he'll have a slight advantage.
The clinch is all Couture no doubt, this is where he should keep Big Nog all day. I think if it goes to the ground, we'll be seeing Big Nog with this hand raised.
mrsmiley
7/2/09 12:24:20PM
This fight is a damn hard one to call.

Nog didn't look stellar in his last performance,and though Randy lost to Brock,he still managed to go with him a few rounds and I was personaly impressed with how he pinned him against the cage. Don't forget,Randy was coming off quiet a long layoff too.
but I think when you compare the two and their fight history,I think Nog gets the slight edge.
If you're a believer in the old saying "your only as good as your last fight", I think the nod has to go to Couture.
On the side of Nogueira,Randy is an amazing fighter,but to a degree it seems like Randy (in some respects) always has the same strategy in mind.
He wants to box you a little,pin you against the fence,then take you down and pound you out.
I think the clinch,or on the ground,are two spots were Couture wants to stay far away from Nogueria. Yet his keys to victory seem to heavily imploy both those tactics.

I say Couture would be smart and attempt to follow the same game plan as Mir.
Outbox Nogueria and let him back up when he goes down.

I'm saying 60/40 in favor of Randy.
KUTTER
7/2/09 3:48:21PM
Randy get Ol big Nog.... Nog was riding jacares nutz, and jacare couldnt even finish Randy at his own game at x-mission
Joemoplata
7/2/09 3:54:48PM

Posted by EvenFlow

War Nog!!

Holy crap, gimme something to punch I love this post so much.

Evenflow, you are the wind beneath my wings.
Jackelope
7/2/09 5:02:22PM
I think there are some legitimate gripes being made on both sides of the argument, here.

I think Randy wanted to go fight Fedor for the right reasons. I don't agree with the way he handled the contract situation with the UFC, but I genuinely do believe Randy thought Fedor was the best HW in the world, and he wanted to test himself against him. Fedor actually owes a lot of his mainstream U.S. popularity to that whole Randy debacle, believe it or not.

Nog, IMO, is a better champ than Randy, but in saying that I'm taking nothing away from Randy. I just look at Nog's record and I'm a lot more impressed. I also look at the way Nog has carried himself throughout the years and I'm nothing short of impressed. The dude is an incredible sportsman. Nog should have been the HW champ, but fate had its way.

EDIT: P.S.- I'm going with Randy for the decision on this one.

Franklinfan47
7/2/09 6:20:30PM
I personally dont have a beef with either fighter. They are both two legends of the sport and two of my favorite fighters. I think this is going to be a long-anticipated war which will not disapoint. Boxing and jj obviously go to Nog, while clinch striking and wrestling obviously go to couture imo. Tough one to call.

Both suffered some tough losses in their last fights, but I really do think Nog's battle with infection before the Mir fight seriously affected his performance. It may seem too cliche, but Nog has made a career of getting dominated then pulling victory out of nowhere. I see this fight as no different. Couture will push a furious pace and dominate Nog with his core strength and wrestling, and Nog will pull a submission out of no where when you think he's at his weakest (couture has been submitted several times in the past). I wouldn't be surprised to see this fight go either way though.
scobac
7/2/09 6:22:57PM

Posted by EvenFlow

War Nog!!

is there an interview out there where randy says he thinks lesnar is the better match up for him? So what I think your saying is Randy ducks fights? I dont agree with what randy did, but that dosnt make him a fight ducker and he certainlly dosnt decide the match ups and wheather or not he is not striped of the title. One bad fight for Nog with staph dosnt meen his career is over.
EvenFlow
7/2/09 6:26:01PM

Posted by scobac

Posted by EvenFlow

War Nog!!

is there an interview out there where randy says he thinks lesnar is the better match up for him? So what I think your saying is Randy ducks fights? I dont agree with what randy did, but that dosnt make him a fight ducker and he certainlly dosnt decide the match ups and wheather or not he is not striped of the title. One bad fight for Nog with staph dosnt meen his career is over.

It's called an opinion. I never claimed it true, relax.

EDIT: suppose i couldve gone with, he fought brock because that fight wouldve and did make him the most money
State_Champ
7/4/09 7:31:27AM
COUTURE!
Boo_Radley21
7/5/09 10:36:29AM
This fight is ******* awesome. Randy is gonna tool Nogueira.
Violence108
7/6/09 11:31:04AM
Big Nog wins this close fight i think, every one has to remember that the Mir fight he was coming off staff, Big Nog still have it
i would have to say i give Big Nog the edge in stand up, and on the ground
sure Randy has the wrestling but its MMA, i just cant see Randy GnP'n him likie Fedor or TKO him like Mir, and no one has submited him and i dont think Randy will be the 1st, but if it goes to the score cards Randy has never lost a Decision, Randy could out work Antonio the whole fight, but i think Antonio can get him in a submission, maybe triangle at some point, should be a great heavyweight fight of to great champions looking forward to it more the Lesnar/Mir
slapshot
7/6/09 8:01:06PM
How is nog going to control the fight? I think randy has some good stand up and he is one of the better strategists in the cage. The only way I see this going to the ground is if Randy takes Nog down, if he dose I think it will be for points and then he'll just stand right back up again.

Randy I think by now has some really strong sub defense so Im not going to say if this hits the ground its a sure sub for nog and Im kind of leaning the other way and thinking Randy will be able to control Nog enough to stifle any attempts but its very possible.

I just think Randy will close the distance and dirty box/clinch, control Nog on the cage and not allow him to get any separation. I think it would be silly to say Randy's not a serious threat especially when Nog's just not looking to sharp in his last few fights.
pinoymixplaya
7/6/09 8:08:51PM
I never saw Big Nog's fights before he came to the UFC because I have never really been interested in Heavyweights but I had heard all the hype about him and his fights over in Pride. So after watching his fights against Herring and Sylvia, I was not that impressed. He seems to eat a lot of strikes in the stand up but has a dangerous guard. I see Randy controlling the fight with strikes, utilizing the clinch, and taking Nog down at will..

Couture by UD
cowcatcher
7/7/09 10:20:08AM

Posted by pinoymixplaya

I never saw Big Nog's fights before he came to the UFC because I have never really been interested in Heavyweights but I had heard all the hype about him and his fights over in Pride. So after watching his fights against Herring and Sylvia, I was not that impressed. He seems to eat a lot of strikes in the stand up but has a dangerous guard. I see Randy controlling the fight with strikes, utilizing the clinch, and taking Nog down at will..

Couture by UD

ill give you a little bit of info on nog since you hadnt seen him pre-ufc and i think a lot of people are in the same boat as you, and maybe rightfully so after just a few fights there. he has made a living off of outlasting his opponents, the guys chin and heart have always been right up there with the best of them. nog would take beatings while dishing out a little himself and eventually catch the guy across from him time and time again. hes one of those guys sort of like forrest griffin that almost needs to get hit a few times to get into a fight and the smallest mistake by his opponent is all he needs to finish him and leave him thinking "how did i just lose?". people love him because he is the comeback kid of mma.

as far as him and randy go, im still up in the air on this one. im leaning towards randy by the slightest margin right now, but like i said all nog needs is one little mistake and he gets the win. ive wanted to see this for so long and im glad its finally happening. one more dream match off my list, thanks joe silva.
Joemoplata
7/7/09 2:05:44PM

Posted by cowcatcher

ill give you a little bit of info on nog since you hadnt seen him pre-ufc and i think a lot of people are in the same boat as you, and maybe rightfully so after just a few fights there. he has made a living off of outlasting his opponents, the guys chin and heart have always been right up there with the best of them. nog would take beatings while dishing out a little himself and eventually catch the guy across from him time and time again. hes one of those guys sort of like forrest griffin that almost needs to get hit a few times to get into a fight and the smallest mistake by his opponent is all he needs to finish him and leave him thinking "how did i just lose?". people love him because he is the comeback kid of mma.

as far as him and randy go, im still up in the air on this one. im leaning towards randy by the slightest margin right now, but like i said all nog needs is one little mistake and he gets the win. ive wanted to see this for so long and im glad its finally happening. one more dream match off my list, thanks joe silva.

Yep, this is a dream matchup for sure. Mino is probably my personal favorite all time MMA fighter. Obviously, being a BJJ guy I am biased towards submission guys but it's not just that. As cowcatcher said, Nog will go out and take the worst beating you've ever seen and then BAM he's armlocking the guy for the win. His fights with Bob Sapp and Cro Cop have to rate as two of my all time favorite fights in the sport.

With all that being said, I want to throw up everytime he fights because I get so nervous that he's not going to be able to come back from the beating. Like what happened with Mir. That was a very sad thing to watch for me, and I don't like to see these guys who have been around for so long and done so much for the sport taking beatings like that. And in this case, both of these guys are not only icons of the sport but from all accounts are genuinely just great people as well.

No matter who wins in this case, I will be saddened for the loser.
NatedawgThaM
7/7/09 3:04:11PM
Got to go with Randy UD even though I hope Nog beats on him. Just a bad style match up. Nog wont submitt Randy cuz Randys grappled a few of the best in the world like Jacare and Jacare couldnt even finish him. His best chance would be to outbox Randy which I definitely think he could and will when they exchange but I just see Randy just keeping it close and smuthering him with his wrestling.
Joemoplata
7/7/09 3:11:14PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Got to go with Randy UD even though I hope Nog beats on him. Just a bad style match up. Nog wont submitt Randy cuz Randys grappled a few of the best in the world like Jacare and Jacare couldnt even finish him. His best chance would be to outbox Randy which I definitely think he could and will when they exchange but I just see Randy just keeping it close and smuthering him with his wrestling.

Getting a submission in MMA can be easier than getting it in pure submission grappling scenario.
Rush
7/7/09 3:46:10PM

Posted by scobac

is there an interview out there where randy says he thinks lesnar is the better match up for him?

I only know of one where he says CroCop is a better match for him than Gonzaga.
nbf
7/7/09 4:28:34PM
I think it only depends on Nogs health. If his recovery goes well it's all up to him. All Randy can do is push him against the cage imo. I'd never imagine Randy successful in PrideFC, no fence no win for him. Anyway Nog has advantage on the ground and above.
nbf
8/13/09 4:56:29PM
I'm sorry for the double posting but I got a question for Randy fans.

He has lost more than 50% of his fights and imo he is only good at taking his opponents against the cage and keeping em there.

So what's the hype about? What is the difference between him and Bas Rutten?

They are both 'sorta' fighters, popular for their great commentary mostly.

Anyone care to explain?
placente
8/13/09 5:41:19PM
this is how the fight will go, Couture will pin him against the cage for 3 rounds, when they split up, they will box a lil bit then randy will pin him again, Big Nog will try to pull guard but Randy is too smart for that. And thats basically the fight.
Pages: [1] 2