Randy couture ... the next move ???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Randy couture ... the next move ???
keith-hackney1
11/16/08 4:30:09PM
I seriously don't see couture being able to better the outcome of his loss to lesnar if there was to be a re-match later down the line. Couture's track record against the much bigger heavyweights has always been the end of his fight streaks.
I know father time is still questioned after every fight couture has, but after an 18 month lay off, coming back to the octagon and loosing you belt at the age of 45, surely couture can't come out again wether that be at HW or dropping back down to the LHW division and re write the books one more time. I can't see it you guys. The UFC HW division is full of big fighters now, with the likes of Lesnar, Kongo, Carwin and Gonzaga all of these guys are bigger than the 220 frame couture fights at. Does he drop down to the LHW pit full of dangerous strikers like chuck, jardine, vanderlei, rampage and even the likes of franklin and silva moving up, couture's options are beginning to look very slim.
I hate seeing randy clocked, he is such a gamer. All of couture's fans right now should be concerned, i'm a couture fan. I like to see him still fight but, i don't want couture's legacy to be tarnished with like 3 straight losses at the end of an admirable career in MMA. If he keeps fighting in the UFC, i think he will now be on a slippery road to retierment, randy had his day, i don't see he has much left to put in. He changed the shape of this sport from stepping down to face liddell. I believe he shaped the UFC to this big multi-million dollar business that it has become today. He will always be the greatest legend of all time.

Does he move down ? Find another opponent at HW ? .. or should the UFC's greatest champion retire now, this time for good ?????

What do you guys think ??????
Rush
11/16/08 4:31:02PM
I think there are more fights for him at HW.

Kongo could be one.
keith-hackney1
11/16/08 4:39:02PM

Posted by Rush

I think there are more fights for him at HW.

Kongo could be one.

But what would be the point ?? If couture beat kongo, he'd be on the road back to the title. There is no way couture could fight for the title again. I don't see him making it back up that far. If he beat cheick, everyone wouldn't be too shocked. Randy's last few fights have been about beating the unbeatable- according to the physics taking note of his age, size etc... but beating kongo would not be a big impact for the couture army he has as it would amount to no big impact in the HW division. Randy came out of retirement from 205lb and took out big tim when no-one in the HW picture could beat him. He went on to defend against a younger, stronger threat who just ko'd crocop. If he fought kongo and beat him ... No impact or meaning. No point fighting IMO. Kongo is not dangerous enough.
juanez13
11/16/08 4:45:55PM
Randy vs Chuck 4.
Khaos
11/16/08 4:47:33PM
Though I think there are people he could beat in the HW division, like Frank Mir, or Antoni hardonk, maybe Kongo, maybe Herring, but that's about it. I don't think he'd move down either, because I think all the top LHW fighter's would beat him, his best bet is to hang up his gloves and retire again.

Ordep
11/16/08 4:51:08PM
aren't the losers in the tournament facing each other too??

that could be vs Mir or vs. Nog ...... any of those would be interesting.
DCRage
11/16/08 4:51:51PM
No, but it's what I was thinking.
keith-hackney1
11/16/08 4:54:03PM

Posted by juanez13

Randy vs Chuck 4.

Maybe ... Chuck vs couture 4 could be a great fight to retire on. Chuck is washed up and arguably couture is near the end of his career. That would make a great fight... NOT. If couture is to go round the block yet again, he needs to fight someone who he will gain from in victory in order to boost his status back up which will get the believers believing again. I don't have a clue what division he should go to because i don't have a clue which fighter would be a good opponent to kick start the chronicles of couture part 3. I think he should retire and concentrate of his new fighters, his gym and maybe stay commentating with joe and mike. He doesn't have to retire from the sport all together, just don't fight again.
Djbb
11/16/08 5:14:03PM
He should just retire after he fights Fedor, if he ever does. I mean the guys gotta be a millionaire by now from fight payouts + merchandising. Open a chain of gyms, he'll be set for the rest of his life.
higdon10
11/16/08 6:26:02PM
Fedor. Then retire. Much like Djbb said before me.
Pinkalicous
11/16/08 11:20:15PM
I agree that he should retire, its hard to say but its true. I would still love to see him fight Fedor but that's about it. Its time for him to worry about his fighters and not his fights, he don't have to leave the sport alltogether, he's a great trainer with good fighters to train.
But without a doubt he will be missed, its gonna be hard to do but I think its time to say goodbye to Captain America.
cmill21
11/17/08 12:00:38AM
I think if he keeps fighting he'll lose some of that mystique he gained after his come back. Why he left i'll never know, he lost all the momentum he got from his two big wins, and then didn't fight for over a year, the dudes 45 he should have never taken a year off. I think he should fight Chuck one last time and then they should both retire.
SociopathX
11/17/08 12:06:36AM
I agree .... sadly he should leave the UFC and finish his career with an EPIC fight with Fedor.

He has nothing left to prove in the UFC and no one in my mind to fight. It will all just bring him back to the same title Brock has now... seems pointless.
jae_1833
11/17/08 1:31:46AM
I don't see a fight with Fedor being all that epic....a second round TKO for Fedor for sure.
Gipper
11/17/08 3:11:48AM
unless forrest is still champ i can see him moving down and going for his 3rd lhw championship. i'm sure ufc would give him a titleshot at lhw if he wanted it. couture did weigh about 10 pounds more when he fought gonzaga.
4u2nv
11/17/08 9:27:19AM
i hate to say it but i think Randy's done. He's not going to get another title shot and it wouldn't be deserved in less then 3 fights against who? LHW is uber stacked with amazing fighters. He's just not the old Randy anymore. Dana should let him go... and i think he will so he can fight Fedor but honestly Fedor will crush him.
cowcatcher
11/17/08 9:38:06AM
randy lost to a complete beast that wobbles everyone he fights when he lands anything so im not sure that retirement is the best option. fights with kongo, and both guys on the other end of the HW tourney bracket are interesting, and the ufc may decide to use him to give the younger guys like cain and dos santos legitimacy. LHW is a move he could make as well, and a 4th chuck fight will sell PPV buys although the matchup has lost a lot of luster. ive pretty much conceded the fact that randy and fedor will ever fight, but thats the one i would like to see most, but who knows what will happen after 2 more fights in the ufc because he is free to do what he wants after that. i dont want anyone to be able to tell me when to retire, so im sure hell not going to say that someone thats been as good at his job as randy has been to hang em up.
emfleek
11/17/08 10:06:37AM

Posted by cowcatcher

randy lost to a complete beast that wobbles everyone he fights when he lands anything so im not sure that retirement is the best option. fights with kongo, and both guys on the other end of the HW tourney bracket are interesting, and the ufc may decide to use him to give the younger guys like cain and dos santos legitimacy. LHW is a move he could make as well, and a 4th chuck fight will sell PPV buys although the matchup has lost a lot of luster. ive pretty much conceded the fact that randy and fedor will ever fight, but thats the one i would like to see most, but who knows what will happen after 2 more fights in the ufc because he is free to do what he wants after that. i dont want anyone to be able to tell me when to retire, so im sure hell not going to say that someone thats been as good at his job as randy has been to hang em up.

Exactly.

Until Lesnar landed that punch that put Randy on the ground, I thought he was doing ONE HELL OF A JOB. Though I picked him to win, I became less and less convinced that he would do so as time went on leading up to the fight. However...after the first round was over, I was really surprised and thought for sure that Randy was gonna be able to systematically dismantle Brock. Well...we all saw what happened. He got caught and paid the price. He's not done and he shouldn't be. It's not your place or my place or anyone else's place to tell ANYONE it's time to retire. As long as someone has the desire and urge to compete, let them compete for crying out loud.

I'll watch the next Randy Couture fight and so will you.
NinjaCyborg
11/17/08 11:13:03AM
Is it necessary to see Randy fight for the title again down the line?
He has proven all he needs to prove in his career. He's been champion multiple times, he's set records, he is in the hall of fame.
Couldn't we just watch Randy fight just for the sake of fighting? Without the extra pressure to become champion again, why can't Randy just compete for the sake of competing?
Randy performed amazingly against Lesnar, It was a great battle!
bls1919
11/17/08 9:58:46PM
You alomost got the thread title right. It's not Randy Couture...next move??. It's Randy Couture....Next movie???
Hendo67
11/18/08 2:51:01PM
Battle of the HOF

Randy Couture vs Mark Coleman.
emfleek
11/18/08 2:58:42PM

Posted by Hendo67

Battle of the HOF

Randy Couture vs Mark Coleman.

Yamasaki is already calling that fight and declaring Randy the winner via Geritol Choke.