randy's chin !!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » randy's chin !!!!!
keith-hackney1
3/3/07 4:12:39PM
Having never trained in striking myself, i wouldnt know the true answer to this question so i was hopeing someone on here could tell me.
As couture has been ko'd twice by chuck, and the fact that he's 43 so his body has aged since the pedro rizzo fights, is it possible while training for a bought that you can fix your chin ?? by this i mean can you get hit there enough in training to minimise the chances of getting ko'd.
when you get arm barred, you go away and train to get out of them, is it the same sort of thing when it comes to getting ko'd or like noguiera is it all about heart.

My main question was answered sat night, randy has def worked on his chin, although tim never really caught him with any shots, he was more aware and had the knowledge of how to avoid tims strikes. !!!! fantastic.
waylon_o
3/3/07 4:17:15PM
I would say it's more about heart. Some people get knocked out easier than others, and there's nothing they can do about it. That's what glass-jaws are all about....some people just get ko'd a lot easier.
shawneth
3/3/07 4:20:15PM

Posted by waylon_o

I would say it's more about heart. Some people get knocked out easier than others, and there's nothing they can do about it. That's what glass-jaws are all about....some people just get ko'd a lot easier.

Well I did hear a fighter in an interview say that in training, your chin can be improved with the more hard punches you take. Something to do with getting used to the feeling of being rocked. But yeah, for the most part it has to do with the structure of your head. Some peoples jaws slam back easier then others.
waylon_o
3/3/07 4:26:47PM
Wow...I'm not saying that's not true, but I've never heard that about strengthening your chin. Sounds a little dangerous for training to me.
Ydoc
3/3/07 4:29:43PM
I heard someone say that making your neck stronger helps agianst knockouts. Not sure if true or not.
zephead
3/3/07 4:32:05PM
When you get hit in the sweet spot, there is nothing you can do. I remember Chucks second fight with Randy. People were saying that Randy has never been KO'ed. His been in there with Pedro" The Rock" Rizzo (So, if his last name is pronounced Hizzo, is it, Pedro "The Hock" Hizzo?) Ricco, Josh, (Old) Vitor, Maurice Smith and wasn't Ko'ed, how is Chuck gonna do it? Chuck hit the sweet spot.

Remember all the talk about Cabbage? The Pitbull drops him. Then Tanks drops him and then he gets dropped in Elite XC. Remember that Fedor was untouchable? Fujita caught him. Cro_Cop got caught by Randleman. The top of your head, the temple and the jaw. Get hit right, you're down.
shawneth
3/3/07 4:38:58PM

Posted by zephead

When you get hit in the sweet spot, there is nothing you can do. I remember Chucks second fight with Randy. People were saying that Randy has never been KO'ed. His been in there with Pedro" The Rock" Rizzo (So, if his last name is pronounced Hizzo, is it, Pedro "The Hock" Hizzo?) Ricco, Josh, (Old) Vitor, Maurice Smith and wasn't Ko'ed, how is Chuck gonna do it? Chuck hit the sweet spot.

Remember all the talk about Cabbage? The Pitbull drops him. Then Tanks drops him and then he gets dropped in Elite XC. Remember that Fedor was untouchable? Fujita caught him. Cro_Cop got caught by Randleman. The top of your head, the temple and the jaw. Get hit right, you're down.

Very true. Anybody can be kncoked out at any time of the day if there hit on the right spot. Tim Sylvia still amazed me though when Arlovski clipped him in their second fight and couldnt put him out. That was the hardest punch i think ive ever seen. It 'll take one hell of a punch to knock that guy out.
zephead
3/3/07 5:15:06PM
Sometimes when you get clipped on the jaw, you lose your equilibrium. You're not KO'ed, you just lose your balance. I think that is what happened to Tim in that fight.
Unkoman
3/3/07 6:09:53PM
When i was 15 i had a boxing coach ( small town hack)
who said that you could strengthe your jaw with chewing big wads a gum a lot.
Don't know if it is true but he had 8 of us gullible kids doing it fo 6 months.
keith-hackney1
3/3/07 6:18:41PM

Posted by zephead

My point to the post is...
randy moving upto heavy weight at 43 having been ko'd twice at light heavy weight is impossible to win unless you've trained with guys like tim dropping bombs on your spots to help your preparation. If randy looses it will be a k.o, i just think randy is smart and i hope he's ready to take a bit of hard punching from tim in order to get into a position to end the giant and win the fight. It wont come easy, anyone from now on to beat tim will have to be able to take a few shots first.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
3/3/07 7:36:24PM

Posted by Unkoman

Good friend in college was golden gloves champ and he would always chew big wads of gum. Also I agree with the strong neck theory.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
3/3/07 7:41:54PM

Posted by shawneth

Posted by waylon_o

Well I did hear a fighter in an interview say that in training, your chin can be improved with the more hard punches you take. Something to do with getting used to the feeling of being rocked. But yeah, for the most part it has to do with the structure of your head. Some peoples jaws slam back easier then others.

I think getting hit repeatedly would not be good for your restistance to being KO'd. I think exact opposite, ko=brain swelling. This is like any other injury, maybe you can heal and come back 100%, or maybe it never heals just right.
loller90278
3/3/07 7:51:34PM

Posted by Unkoman

no that is true, a lot of atheletes use that technique
CornishMMA
3/3/07 8:19:29PM
Randy wasnt KO'd by chuck in their last fight, it was a punch that dropped him and then a tko. Without the fence grabbing who knows how that fight would of gone down. And of course the 1st KO was just out of pure frustration and randy letting go of his gameplan for the first and last time ever
hippysmacker
3/3/07 8:31:14PM
Also, if you get hit in the neck and throat a KO can happen.
Svartorm
3/4/07 7:21:05PM
The main thing that helps against KOs is to get used to having people throw punches at you. Not actually bust you upside the noggin, but get used to seeing punches coming and not flinching. The thing that causes a lot of dudes to have glass jaws is because they tense up too much when the punch comes and end up getting floored. Its a matter of being loose enough to roll with punches, but not too loose, and it something that comes with training.
Mayo
3/4/07 9:07:14PM

Posted by waylon_o

Just like Marvin "Glass Jaw" Eastman
roadking95th
3/4/07 9:38:04PM
Joe Rogan made the comment that your cardio has a lot to do with how fast you recover. Basically it comes down to four things. The physical make up of your head. Your cardio. Your heart. And you be used to the situation of seeing punches and being rocked.
ghosty82
3/5/07 5:27:55AM
Cutting weight can effect how easily you can be knocked out aswell. Apparently if you are dehdyrated you have less fluid around your brain making for an easier KO.
pv3Hpv3p
3/5/07 2:29:02PM
I was watching ESPNClassic and they had a thing on Jack Dempsey... It said that Jack used to chew on pieces of pine(wood) to strengthen his jaw and make it more difficult to KO him...

Then again it also said that he used to rub Beef Brine (I'm not quite sure what that is) on his face, because it made his skin leathery and harder to cut..

Useless little piece of knowledge, take it for what it's worth...

Bubble gum might be a little more pleasant than a piece of wood, depends what you're into I guess
BloodandTears
3/5/07 2:46:05PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Also, if you get hit in the neck and throat a KO can happen.

Hell yeh it can knock someone out. I dunno about the throat, but the side of the neck has some mean nerves connected right to the spine. Ouch.
ReproMan
3/5/07 5:32:17PM
Trying to condition yourself to prevent KO's is pretty dumb IMO. I can see strengthening your jaw and neck to prevent trauma, but every time a fighter is KO'd they are concussed, and every time you suffer from a concussion, it's becomes easier and easier to be concussed/KO'd again. That being said, it might not be such a good idea to have your head beat on repeatedly in effort to make it stronger. It's just like most things in life, some people are just more prone to a KO than others, and there's not much that can be done about it.
wkm311
3/5/07 11:16:31PM
For the most part, if you get hit in one of the sweet spots, your going down. It;s true that some people have a better chance of getting ko'ed because of there jaw structure. Take Rampage for example, Silva hit him with knee after knee and didnt knock him out, but when that one landed just right he was out like a light. Or even Cro Cop, he has fought some of the best strikers in the world and only been knocked out, maybe a couple of times, but when a mediocre striker at best like Randleman, hit him in the sweet spot it, he went down. The best thing you can do is learn how to avoid being hit in the chin or temple.
Svartorm
3/5/07 11:48:49PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Then again it also said that he used to rub Beef Brine (I'm not quite sure what that is) on his face, because it made his skin leathery and harder to cut..

Its extremely salty beef broth. You use it to make stews and whatnot. It probably dried out his skin over time and made it tough.