do you think randy is the best fighter in all time

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » do you think randy is the best fighter in all time
Next Page »
mrkennedy
9/22/07 8:41:06PM
randy is my favorite fighter i think yes
cmill21
9/22/07 8:51:51PM
No.
kevinmitchell300
9/22/07 8:57:30PM
Of course he is no one has accomplished what he has and wont for a very long time. He is a legend and deserves all the props he deserves

jmoooooo
9/22/07 9:07:39PM
before anyone can really answer that you have to give us guidelines to defining the "greatest of all time".

by pure skill, win/loss record, titles held, longevity, popularity, class, work ethic.....

there would be a different answer depending on what you're basing it on
Chuteboxer
9/22/07 9:13:39PM
Well, I think he's ONE of the best there's been, at least in recent history...He may never be the greatest fighter alive, but he sure won't be forgotten.
Copenhagen
9/22/07 9:48:40PM
No.
Kastro
9/23/07 1:44:32AM

Posted by mrkennedy

One of the best, yes, The best? Certainly not,,

He still has unanswered losses against Liddell (2 of them to be exact), Josh Barnett (steroids or not, he beat him), and Ricco Rodriguez... not to mention he still has some fights remaining...

He certainly deserves respect, but to be the greatest you have to actually BE THE GREATEST (beat everyone you fight, or at least avenge your losses in impressive fashion)... this is all IMO of course.
tanned187
2/2/08 4:54:13AM
I dont think he is based on stats and stuff...but in my opinion fedor should be up for best fighter ever....Randy is great and he is one of my favorite but fedor till now is dominating everyone and till they fight if they ever do fight then we can actually say who is the greatest
Pookie
2/2/08 4:57:59AM
No. Not even close.
Kpro
2/2/08 5:04:44AM
Randy is the best fighter mentioned in the first post in this thread.
Mastodon2
2/2/08 5:36:01AM
Even by his own admission, he isn't as good as Fedor, he himself considers Fedor the #1 HW. I think that Fedor's record is better than Randy's and I think Fedor would beat Randy if they ever finally fight each other, but the question "Is Randy the greatest fighter of all time?" can be looked at two ways; firstly is he the p4p greatest? No, I doubt many people would put him even close to #1 here, he has a slightly shakey HW record, moved down to LHW, took a few beatings and retired, came back to HW and beat two less than top tier opponents. It's hardly a dominating run like those that Fedor and Norifumi Yamamoto put together. The other way to look at it is to ask if Randy is simply the greatest fighter of all time outright, IE, is Randy the toughest man to have ever entered an MMA ring, and could he beat anyone of any size in there, and again, I'd have to say no. I think that honor goes to Fedor. Maybe Fedor isn't the p4p #1 (some say he is, some say he isn't) but if there is any fighter I'd choose to win over any other fighter, it would be Fedor.
prozacnation1978
2/2/08 11:17:32AM
randy is great but best of all time no,
i think fedor is better, royce gracie, lidell, he is in a elite group but to say the best, his record is mediocre, not really stunning, he did beat tito and chuck, and slyvia. but he also lost twice to lidell, lost to ricco as well to josh. if he were to defend his title twice more win both to finish out in the ufc then go fight fedor beat him then retire then i would have to say he was the best
nickcuc547
2/2/08 11:20:20AM
no, right now fedor, nog and chuck have had better careers if you ask me, but he's definitely top five, not bad at all.
Pride-Fighter
2/2/08 2:20:57PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

randy is great but best of all time no,
i think fedor is better, royce gracie, lidell, he is in a elite group but to say the best, his record is mediocre, not really stunning, he did beat tito and chuck, and slyvia. but he also lost twice to lidell, lost to ricco as well to josh. if he were to defend his title twice more win both to finish out in the ufc then go fight fedor beat him then retire then i would have to say he was the best

Dont forget his loss to Enson Inoue.
NatedawgThaM
2/2/08 3:42:29PM
Yeah he's a good fighter when he comes out of nowhere. he came out of no where and beat Randleman, Chuck, Tito , Big Tim, and Gonzaga. He's just one big surprise attack which I think is a little cheap sometimes. He comes out of nowhere and wins these big fights.

But when he has a few fights after his comeback he gets owned. Barnett did it, Chuck did it and it was only a matter of time before Nog did it. His record is nothing great that screams out "I'm at least in the top 10 greatest".

So No. Fedor holds that title with his impressive record. Yeah he'll slip down the rankings for beating nobodies but he'll always be the best fighter in the world until somebody beats him.
cmill21
2/2/08 4:10:23PM
I said no before now I have time to elaborate. He's not only been beaten but dominated more then once, KO'd a few times, subbed a time or two, and he's even been retired at LHW. He's done well recently but he was dominated twice in a row by Barney and Ricco, causing him to drop in weight, then he fought and was KO'd twice by Chuck. Was he a great ambassador? Yeah. Was he a great fighter? Yeah. The greatest? No I would put a few guys ahead of him.
cowcatcher
2/2/08 4:19:46PM
the thing about randy is that it seemed like he was almost always fighting for a belt or a shot at a belt so the level of competition he faced was as good as just about anyone. he came out of nowhere to beat a guy that looked invincible in vitor, and basically always fought quality guys after that. no zuluzinhos, or guys 2 weight classes smaller than him. not to knock fedor, i think he is the best of all time, but time and time again randy faced the best. randy isnt the best ever IMO, but hes definately in my top 10 all time, even though his record may not look to be the best on paper.
roger
2/2/08 4:27:07PM
not
Dastardly1
2/3/08 4:32:45AM
Randy is a great fighter. not the best ever though.he did get stopped twice by a smaller fighter at 205,before exposing Sylvia who maybe a top 5 Hvywt.

When he fights Fedor sometime after October. The winner of that fight will be the greatest Heavyweight.
gartface
2/3/08 2:10:41PM
Not one mention of Matt Hughes? I hate the guy, but come on.
But you can't rule out Chuck, and eventually B.J.
Pitbull09
2/3/08 2:26:34PM
Will yes or no from any of us truly prove anything?

There has been over 100 of these topics and we all know each others opinions by now so I say if this topic must continue, lets wait until Fedor vs Couture is scheduled and a week away then blab away lol.

No offense but these topics are starting to drive me crazy
yohnstoppable
2/3/08 10:27:29PM
No. I'd rank him as ONE of the greatest, though. Keep in mind he has 1 successful title defense in his entire career.

I'd put Nog, Fedor, Saku, Chuck, Silva, and Hughes above him for all time status.
Boo_Radley21
2/3/08 10:59:08PM

Posted by yohnstoppable

No. I'd rank him as ONE of the greatest, though. Keep in mind he has 1 successful title defense in his entire career.

Randy has had 3 successful title defenses. 2 against Rizzo and 1 against Gonzaga. I still agree that he isn't the greatest of all time but is one of the best. There are fighters who will definitely be in front of him but he has been one of the greats.
jrmmaclassics
2/4/08 3:43:15PM
He is the best as far as a representative of a champion, no one even comes close to acting and looking the part of a champ. Fedor is probably the best fighter, but as a champ he really has not acted the part as well as Couture has. Give the man some credit for having the heart and determination to come back again and again from defeats and becoming the first guy to win two different titles is also something to take into consideration.

Randy has gained the respect as a champion from fighter and fans around the world, it is always a debate win it comes to the best of any sport. I think it is an honor to be considered and we should leave it at that.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
iwannabesedated
2/4/08 3:55:12PM
I think Bas Rutten is the best fighter ever.But thats just my opinion even though he never beat Ken Shamrock Bas Rutten is still my hero.

FEDOR FEARS EL GUAPO!!

telnights
2/4/08 5:10:17PM
No I don't see how you can even say that without bring up the fact he was KOed twice by Chuck. Plus his record isn't the best and you have this hole contract issue. I use to think it was Fedor but now I'm not so sure who it is but it isn't Randy. I think Matt Hughes is much better fighter and should get the nod way before Randy does. I think GSP in 3 years will be the one that everyone is talking about.
Pookie
2/4/08 5:41:21PM

Posted by telnights

No I don't see how you can even say that without bring up the fact he was KOed twice by Chuck. Plus his record isn't the best and you have this hole contract issue. I use to think it was Fedor but now I'm not so sure who it is but it isn't Randy. I think Matt Hughes is much better fighter and should get the nod way before Randy does. I think GSP in 3 years will be the one that everyone is talking about.

I think in 3 years it will be Anderson Silva if he continues at this pace. GSP hasnt faced a WW equivalent to Dan henderson in well roundedness and world class skill in sub defense, Greco Wrestling, and striking(and an iron chin). But that is if anderson wins...
RampageOwnedYou
2/4/08 5:55:12PM

wow great argument, you really proved your point.

AND NO not even close. Good yes, BEST ??? Helllz no!!!

Fedor best right now.
and probally of all time.
telnights
2/4/08 7:15:16PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by telnights

I think in 3 years it will be Anderson Silva if he continues at this pace. GSP hasnt faced a WW equivalent to Dan henderson in well roundedness and world class skill in sub defense, Greco Wrestling, and striking(and an iron chin). But that is if anderson wins...

If he can gets past Dan then and keep up the pace he has been then you maybe right. I still think GSP is really going to shine in the next 2-3 years. But we will have to wait and see.
seanfu
2/26/08 5:44:58PM
no
Pages: [1] 2