Is Randy Actually Greedy?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is Randy Actually Greedy?
balack_o-bama
8/14/08 7:35:00PM
Many, including myself were quick to jump the gun and say yes. But let us break this down.

Randy said this fight would sell atleast 700,000. Chuck vs Tito did over 1 million. Several others were just under the 700k mark, so i wouldnt say that is an over estimate. For the sake of this argument I will use 600k. And say $45.95 for the PPV buy.

600,000 x 45.95 = 27,570,000. Randy was asking in the 6-10 million range for each fighter. Lets give them 6 each. Hell they are feeling generous and are breaking up another 1.57 million to the undercard and fighter bonuses. That would leave the Ufc with $15 million.

Lets an average good card that sells 400,000.

400,000 x 45.95 = 18,380,00

Lets say they pay out a total of 3.38 million. That would leave $15 million, the same as above.

Please remember, I did this at the minimum for the Randy vs Fedor fight. It could do WAY more than 600k.

When you look at it like this....Is Randy really that greedy or just a smart business man. He may be setting goals high like that so Dana doesnt see 3-5 milli so bad. Also, he may be throwing it out just to show how much the Ufc makes compared to what top tier fighters are being paid. While i dont think he deserves $6-10 million, fighters should get more than they typically make. Randy may be paving the way for higher paydays for fighters.
grappler0000
8/14/08 7:38:50PM
60% of the gross revenue goes to the PPV provider...and then you have to account for taxes, production, advertisement, and the other fighters.
balack_o-bama
8/14/08 7:40:18PM

Posted by grappler0000

60% of the gross revenue goes to the PPV provider...and then you have to account for taxes, production, advertisement, and the other fighters.

Are you sure its that much?

Even so, I didnt factor in gate sales and all the people that pay the EW FC for a 3x5 in. spot somewhere in the arena.
grappler0000
8/14/08 7:54:39PM

Posted by balack_o-bama

Posted by grappler0000

Are you sure its that much?

Even so, I didnt factor in gate sales and all the people that pay the EW FC for a 3x5 in. spot somewhere in the arena.

Yeah, I'm sure...the UFC may be getting more leverage over time to negotiate a slightly better deal, but I don't believe even the WWE has broken the 50/50 barrier...and they have the best deal in the business.

The 1.5-3 million or so in gate revenue is chump change when you consider what the PPV provider takes off the top.
Mchubb316
8/14/08 9:24:35PM
Randy is like most other people, and professional athletes. Everyone for the most part would like to make more money. Asking for more money is to be expected. Right now asking for 6-10 million per fighter for 1 fight in MMA is just not gonna happen.
Naturaldisaster
8/15/08 12:14:48AM
I dont care what fighter it is, No fighter NEEDS to make 6-10 million dollars for a 15-25 minute fight. Its just pure greedy to ask for that much. Boxers make several millions of dollars for fights. its not neccesary people.
emfleek
8/15/08 9:46:52AM
Yes, he's greedy.

It's a good thing he has his acting career to fall back on as his main source of income.

Darnok
8/15/08 1:42:47PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I dont care what fighter it is, No fighter NEEDS to make 6-10 million dollars for a 15-25 minute fight. Its just pure greedy to ask for that much. Boxers make several millions of dollars for fights. its not neccesary people.