Will Randy accept the fight with big Nog?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Will Randy accept the fight with big Nog?
POLL: will randy accept the fight with big nog?
yes 20% (13)
no 50% (33)
this is just dana being dana 30% (20)
cowcatcher
11/13/07 3:26:15PM
well dana said that he is offering couture a fight with big nog. will randy accept it, or is this just dana being dana and trying to look like he still has a chance with randy?
Mastodon2
11/13/07 3:30:16PM
It would be a good idea for him to take it. While his wins over Gonzaga and Tim were impressive because of his age, neither was a top competitor, whereas Nogueira would be a much better test of Randy's abilities. I don't think he will take it though, its a shame, I've loved watching Nogueira rip through the competition (except Fedor) and I would have loved to see him do the same to Randy.
Jackelope
11/13/07 3:37:42PM
I don't think Couture needs this fight like he needs a Fedor fight, but I'd of course love to see it. Seems like Noguiera has a lot to gain by fighting Randy whereas Randy has little to gain by fighting Noguiera. I'd say he doesn't take the fight.
nickcuc547
11/13/07 3:47:22PM
there is a 0% chance randy takes this fight, he should but he wont because he is going to let his fued with the ufc get in the way. ridiculous if you ask me.
Pitbull09
11/13/07 4:26:42PM
Theres really two ways to look at this-

Dana's Perspective- He wants to have Big Nog dethrown Couture before he leaves the org so the title is still respected. Also this fight would make so much more money then Sylvia vs Nog.

Couture's Perspective- He still has 2 fights on his contract and would have to wait at least 6-8 months until he could fight in M-1. Why not go up against a big name heavyweight fighter since he will have time to recover for his fight with Fedor? Randy really has nothing to loss since he's leaving UFC regardless, another win could only further his popularity and rank him as one of the best heavyweights.

Both ways you look at it, it favors the fight happening but I still dont see it working out. Dana White has been able to work with people like Tito who he absolutely hated but that doesnt mean Couture will be willing to coroperate.

If this fight does happen, its for the greater good of MMA. If it doesnt, people will hardly notice this possible matchup was shot down because the Fedor/Couture controversy will shadow it.
buckndro
11/13/07 4:27:36PM
i dont see him taking the fight since he said he retired from ufc maybe if he does would be if he workd some deal out with dana after this fight either they made fedor vs randy happen or allow him to leave an fight there something along those lines
loonytnt
11/13/07 4:37:59PM
i hope
tuvok500
11/13/07 4:40:45PM
As a fan, i hope he will accept, i would like to see him and Dana resolving there problem and give the fan a really good fight between a top contender like Big Nog and a legend like Couture himself !!

i understand that the chance to see that fight happening is very low, but if we still have Tito Ortiz, ( the worst ennemie of Dana ) fighting in the ufc , everything is possible !!

cowcatcher
11/13/07 4:43:49PM
heres to hoping that maybe, just maybe, dana is able to get randy to take the fight then put company policy aside for one night and let fedor come over from m-1 to fight randy. im sure that figuring out what percentage from the ppv m-1 would get would be a major obsticle, but for one night only im hoping dana and the fertitas could swing this and make the mma community happy.

that said i probably smoked too much crack if i believe this could happen.
pv3Hpv3p
11/13/07 5:18:51PM
I think it's unfortunately all just wishful thinking... The bridges seem to be burnt, with the "no UFC filming at ExtremeCouture" and the "Randy's Hummer on Ebay" thing....

I really hope that it happens... Don't see why Randy would consider Nog inferior competition or whatever... I think it's stylistically a bad matchup for Randy, just like GG was, but IMO Nog has a wealth more experience and is just plain tougher (no offence to Gabby, Nog's just one of the toughest guys on the planet)... It would be a tough fight for Randy, and I don't think he wants a tough fight unless it's going to be Fedor.
jocksmall
11/13/07 5:26:55PM
i have been critical of many moves made by dana and the ufc but this is a smart move and a good move. randy may not take the fight but it would be a big fight and the best dana can do. i personally would love to see big nog vs randy i hope they court randy a little and let him save face so he will consider this fight. if he still wants out he can leave but as a fan this would be a great one
Djbb
11/13/07 6:17:56PM
I think this would be an awesome fight but considering the current situation between Couture and White, I smell something along the lines of Nog wins due to early stoppage for a papercut.
woodmo
11/14/07 10:18:53AM
I'm wondering if Randy does not take the fight the the UFC can go after him and some of the money he made (signing bonus) for breach of contract. My guess is they can since they supposedly don't let fighters pick their opponents.

My guess is that Randy will have to take the fight whethor he wants to or not, or face a steep fine.
TNunley
11/14/07 1:09:03PM
I think this is merely a ploy to settle the "Resigned/Retired" dispute. Dana offered Randy a fight, because you can not resign from a contract. If Randy declines the fight, then he is considered retired (not resigned)... and his contract goes into a freeze (for retirement or injury) preventing any situation where Randy could fight in another organization before he fulfills his contract within the UFC.

So... if Randy fights, he'll be one step closer to fighting in another organization... if Randy declines, we likely will not ever see him fight again.
keith-hackney1
11/14/07 4:49:56PM
there is no way that randy will fight in the ufc again !!!! he's already publicly stated that he's resigned from his ufc contract.
Jackelope
11/14/07 4:56:11PM
LOL, making an announcement of retiring has never stopped him before.
stickyhash421
11/15/07 9:24:57PM
he better, or i dont respect him much anymore, not to degrade randy but the age thing is b/s and he knows it if he wanted to fight all the best people he would but he just dosnt have the fire anymore, for some reason it has to be fedor well too bad randy you have something to prove now, you got KO'd by chuck twice to come back and dismantle tim sylvia who in my opinion isnt even that great anyway, the gonzaga fight was amazing tho and thats why randy HAS TO STAY, do Not Leave couture, screw hollywood and suck it up champ. dont let sylvia get another shot at the belt, it would have been a waste for you to fight him in the first place if you let him fight nog instead of you......randy dont let the fans down, you'll fight fedor someday......probably in M-1 however
Scott_Revels
11/15/07 11:37:37PM
Nope. Randy's Hollywood Agent, will put Randy in time out if he talks to Dana. Plus, Randy won't get any desert for dinner if he doesn't say the things that the Hollywood Agent wants. That's why he'll say no. Then of course the Hollywood Agent will give Randy a Lollipop.
hippysmacker
11/15/07 11:51:21PM

Posted by Mastodon2

It would be a good idea for him to take it. While his wins over Gonzaga and Tim were impressive because of his age, neither was a top competitor, whereas Nogueira would be a much better test of Randy's abilities. I don't think he will take it though, its a shame, I've loved watching Nogueira rip through the competition (except Fedor) and I would have loved to see him do the same to Randy.

I disagree with the fact that Sylvia and GG were not top guys. Both are at least top 10 top to anyone I know , but to each his own. As for Nog, I call this a pick em. Randy has shown good sub defense for the the last few years, even going to a draw with Jacare in a grappling match. I also think he is the best fighter he has ever been at the moment . The reason I think he won't take this fight is it won't make him #1 in the world in the eyes of most. The way Fedor dominated Nog in their first fight was extremely impressive to me. Even If Randy did something similar it doesn't give him an argument for being # 1 IMO. I think unless Randy beats Fedor, or Fedor gets wupped by somebody soon, showing he has declined that argument is pointless . Of course even Tito came back, so anythings possible.
cmill21
11/16/07 12:10:14AM
See I know Jacare is a great grappler, but he is also 185 lbs(not sure what the grappled at) and randy also just layed on him. Nog is alot bigger and stronger then jacare, so I think he would be able to get into position alot easier, and maybe even over power randy with an arm bar or leg lock of some kind.
hippysmacker
11/16/07 1:25:11AM

Posted by cmill21

See I know Jacare is a great grappler, but he is also 185 lbs(not sure what the grappled at) and randy also just layed on him. Nog is alot bigger and stronger then jacare, so I think he would be able to get into position alot easier, and maybe even over power randy with an arm bar or leg lock of some kind.

I understand your point and randy said there was no weight clause in the grappling match. he also said on the beatdown he weighed 230 for the match and, had a little less than a 30 lb. advantage. So if Jacare wa 202 and randy was 230 no big deal to me. SYlvia was 280 in the fight . Gonzaga was 245 and had a18 lb. advantage on Randy. If anything I think an MMa fight is what Randy prefers. His dirty boxing and little short punches and elbows open up better positions for him. I think randy on top of anyone is in a good bet to win a fight. Anyway, I can see why someone would favor either one over the other . My main point is Randy, and Hendo and Lindland for that matter, have drastically improved their sub defense in the last 5 years. Nog beat Hendo in their second fight, but do you remember how many subs he escaped? That fight was a while back and all have gotten better in their sub D . Add that Randy is bigger/stronger than Hendo , and that Nog's only improvements since IMO, is his standup/physical strength and I just think Randy in a cage is at least a pickem if not the favorite.
cmill21
11/16/07 1:31:42AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by cmill21

I understand your point and randy said there was no weight clause in the grappling match. he also said on the beatdown he weighed 230 for the match and, had a little less than a 30 lb. advantage. So if Jacare wa 202 and randy was 230 no big deal to me. SYlvia was 280 in the fight . Gonzaga was 245 and had a18 lb. advantage on Randy. If anything I think an MMa fight is what Randy prefers. His dirty boxing and little short punches and elbows open up better positions for him. I think randy on top of anyone is in a good bet to win a fight. Anyway, I can see why someone would favor either one over the other . My main point is Randy, and Hendo and Lindland for that matter, have drastically improved their sub defense in the last 5 years. Nog beat Hendo in their second fight, but do you remember how many subs he escaped? That fight was a while back and all have gotten better in their sub D . Add that Randy is bigger/stronger than Hendo , and that Nog's only improvements since IMO, is his standup/physical strength and I just think Randy in a cage is at least a pickem if not the favorite.

Agreed, I just wanted to throw that out there. I want to see this fight, it's a great clash of styles, nog is great off his back and has survived the most vicious GnP'ing one could imagin, and randy likes to have guys on their backs and he likes to GnP. I would think Randy would want to get it on to the ground though, I feel nog is the better boxer, or at the very least try and pin him to the cage.
Jackelope
11/16/07 3:27:38AM
I think Randy's gameplan in this situation would be to cut him. Or takedown for control and win by decision.

Randy knows he can't KO Noguiera. He knows he can't sub him. He knows Noguiera hasn't faced the elbows GnP or dirty boxing against the fence much. Nog's sub game is way too dangerous to be throwing long limbed punches at while on the ground (Unless you're Fedor, of course ) Not to mention that Randy isn't exactly known for KO power like Fedor is. I think what we would see is an in tight GnP with elbows to the forehead and short punches to the ribs.

Still, I think this fight lies in favor of Noguiera if Randy can't keep him on the fence. Although I hate to bet against the Natural I think that cage is the only thing keeping him alive in this fight.

However, I still gotta go back to my original comment and say that Noguiera stands to gain everything from this fight and Randy stands to gain very little. So no fight.