random match up Liddell vs GSP @ 205 if they fought now

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » random match up Liddell vs GSP @ 205 if they fought now
POLL: ?
chuck 49% (20)
gsp 51% (21)
mentalcase
4/13/09 6:32:14AM
GSP arguably the #1 p4p on the planet

chuck former #1 lhw has lost 3 of his last 4

Rabi
4/13/09 7:04:13AM
I think GSP would be to explosive, I also think that he would be able to take Chuck down IMO.
emfleek
4/13/09 8:37:49AM
GSP via murder
mentalcase
4/13/09 9:38:09AM

Posted by emfleek

GSP via murder

really?

well i doubt he could take chuck down and even if he did he wouldn't be able to hold him down long enough to cause damage

and i very much doubt he could out strike chuck and also has less reach

so how the fuk will he murder chuck

(i kind of just made this thread to see who the truly delusional GSP fans are)

not that i rule out gsp could win i just think bad match up for him
AchillesHeel
4/13/09 10:23:33AM
GSP is a better wrestler, but I wonder about the size difference. I don't think GSP has ever been the smaller fighter. People are already claiming that a big, heavy-handed brawler (Alves) will be GSP's toughest opponent. Maybe that's just hype, but I don't think St. Pierre is the type of fighter that Liddell has had problems with in the past. His one deficiency is in one-punch power. Perhaps he could win a decision as Jardine did, but I imagine Liddell has worked to close that window for any future opponents.
mkiv9secsupra
4/13/09 10:32:09AM
This really shouldn't even be a question. Who in the past 4 years has been able to clinch with chuck long enough to do anything significant? Guys like Couture and Rampage have had limited success there but they also are massive compared to GSP with over 35lbs more of almost pure muscle. GSP is a good striker but Chuck has dealt with good strikers plenty enough. GSP doesn't have the KO power to knock chuck on his ass so the fight would be %100 stand up where GSP would have a huge disadvantage with reach and strength. Chuck by TKO or UD. No doubt.
fullerene
4/13/09 10:35:12AM
i always weigh the tangibles more than the intangibles. Chuck is considerable bigger and he is used to fighter considerably bigger fighters. GSP has more speed and athleticism.

What do I make of that? I doubt GSP can take Chuck down or at the very least it will require a lot of effort. I don't think he can hold him there if he does. I don't think he can KO him and I don't think he can submit him. GSP's only chance as I see it is to win be decision by setting a very fast pace of stick-and-move or strike-then-takedown for the duration of the fight. He might just be able to do that.

I don't think Chuck would be able to take GSP down or submit him. He could win by KO at any time with a solid connect and he could win by decision by walking GSP down and being perceived as the aggressor, particulalry if GSP got tired.

I think the most likely of those scenarios is Chuck by KO.
Aaronno9
4/13/09 10:56:55AM
Chuck by first round K.O. Chucks a big 205er, I just dont see GSP having and success against him anywhere.
emfleek
4/13/09 11:37:06AM
I missed the "if they fought now". Of course Chuck would win. Silly question.
mentalcase
4/13/09 11:50:12AM

Posted by emfleek

I missed the "if they fought now". Of course Chuck would win. Silly question.

nice save
1daveufc
4/13/09 1:16:47PM
Chuck by nasty ko .no way cud gsp take chuck down an even if he cud he wud not hurt him he cud not stop bj and he had him down for 3 rounds.GSP wud get hurt i hope it comes of lol a wud love to see him ko matt lindland style when belfort ko him
fullerene
4/13/09 1:45:09PM
Close voting. Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that Chuck Liddell was winning polls as the greatest MMA fighter ever and people were saying GSP didn't have the heart to regain the WW belt? MMA is definitely a game of "what have you done for me lately"
emfleek
4/13/09 2:00:35PM

Posted by fullerene

Close voting. Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that Chuck Liddell was winning polls as the greatest MMA fighter ever and people were saying GSP didn't have the heart to regain the WW belt? MMA is definitely a game of "what have you done for me lately"

Indeed. And this thread is to see how "delusional" nuthugger fans are.

The anti-nuthugger is just as bad as the nuthugger sometimes. Those people who hate just because everyone else likes something?

It's almost trendy to not like GSP.
Pookie
4/13/09 7:18:43PM
Id pick chuck and parlay him.

I dont particularly like gsp, but its not because of how trendy it is.
Wolfenstein
4/13/09 7:21:53PM
Chuck would win rather easilly in my opinion. It's way to big a size advantage, and Chuck probably doesn't need to land a very clean shot to KO GSP because of the disparity in size and power.
AussiePride
4/13/09 8:57:55PM
we are talking about 35 pounds here, chuck would be way to strong and GSP would have a hard time getting him down i think chuck would have this one by KO.
CwB
4/13/09 8:58:39PM
so far 15 people hav picked GSP and 14 for chuck, yet none of the comments are pro gsp winning and why, I just truly want to know the opinions of the pro gsp voters on how he would beat chuck.

IMO
randy couldnt keep chuck down = gsp wont be able too either
Chuck has technically only been KOed twice Rashad and second fight with rampage = gsp doesnt have the power to ko him
chuck has been tkoed but i dont see GSP being able to do that either

MAYBE gsp can do what bisping did to leben but i doubt that too
mentalcase
4/13/09 9:16:05PM

Posted by CwB

so far 15 people hav picked GSP and 14 for chuck, yet none of the comments are pro gsp winning and why, I just truly want to know the opinions of the pro gsp voters on how he would beat chuck.

yes, i had a suspicion this would happen and that exactly why i made this thread
breakdown5
4/13/09 9:48:30PM
I don't know who would win this. I tend to lean towards Chuck because he cuts down to 205 and I think that GSP would really have to bulk up (he supposedly walks around at 185-190) to compete at 205. There is a huge gap between WW and LHW, and I don't think that GSP could get there without compromising some aspect of his game.

On the other hand, GSP and Camp Jackson have already gameplanned Chuck once, and could probably do it again. If GSP didn't lose a lot of speed with the extra mass, he could fire leg kicks at Chuck all night. Everybody knows he doesn't really check leg kicks. GSP doesn't have the power to stop Chuck standing, and I think the size difference would make it hard for GSP to get Chuck down and keep him there. He could take a UD if he fought from the outside and stayed away from Chuck's predictable "I'm gonna knock him out" tactics.

Either way, I'm sure I would watch the fight.

Playground_Samurai
4/13/09 9:49:31PM
For the record, I picked Chuck. I agree with fullerene in that the only way GSP would have a chance is by using his wrestling to grind out a decision. I also agree with him in that he would probably not be able to keep him down and eventually get caught and knocked out.
NatedawgThaM
4/14/09 1:54:51AM
I definitely could see GSP winning. He trains with Rashad and is just as atheltics and skilled. He's one of the most well rounded fighters in all of MMA and is actually great at every single aspect too. So I wouldn't count him out at all. Greg Jackson is a great coach and could definitely cook something up I believe.

Against the old Chuck I think Chuck would definitely take him out but the current GSP against the current Chuck, IDK I think it could be very interesting. Size isn't everything all the time. Crazier things have happened, I'll pick Chuck but I wouldn't be surprised at all if GSP dominated him like he's found a way to dominate everybody else.
mrsmiley
4/14/09 12:49:13PM
How old is GSP?

Though size would play a big part, I think age might play a huge factor as well.

Chuck is still a great fighter, but his skill hasn't aged as well as someone like Couture's. This could possibly be because of their fighting styles though.

This is a tough call in my opinion.
Chuck is the much bigger fighter, but if GSP can stay inside when he needs to,and dance around Liddell when neccesary, he could possibly wear down Chucks cardio within the 2nd round.
Maybe it's just me,but Liddell seems much slower now than he did 2-5 years ago. I think Liddell choses his shots more carefully now,but the problem is his power isn't their like it was a few years back.

I slightly favor GSP,but wouldn't be suprised if Liddell took it.
TsekaPrivet
4/14/09 11:06:05PM
Chuck by superior striking and legendary sprawl.
Natedogg42
4/16/09 6:06:50PM
I think the fact Liddel almost never looks for a take down would free GSP's kicks up, but I don't think that would be enough to overcome Chuck's reach and power advantage.

As far as ground game, I would be surprised to see this fight on the ground for more than 30 seconds unless Chuck decided to use his wrestling for offense instead of defense. I get the feeling Chuck would be more than happy to stand with GSP.

Although I think GSP's better P4P (I don't think many would disagree), the size disadvantage would be too much for him to overcome.