Rampage names the spy; executive VP of MusclePharm resigns

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Rampage names the spy; executive VP of MusclePharm resigns
Next Page »
emfleek
9/23/11 1:24:22PM
During Friday morning’s edition of ESPN’s SportsCenter, Rampage finally exposed the name of the mole and revealed the alleged perpetrator is now standing in the unemployment line:

The dialog begins when Rampage responds to why he felt there was a spy in his camp:

Rampage: Because it’s true. I’ve had a couple of feelings and a guy tweeted me on Twitter and made my suspicions grow further. A couple of things happened, so I faked a injury. It got right back to Jon Jones’ manager and we just found out who the spy was. And he’s terminated. He’s no longer working right now. So we found out exactly who the spy was and it’s true.

Jones: So who’s the spy, Rampage?

Rampage: You know who the spy was.

LINK
Chael_Sonnen
9/23/11 1:41:25PM
A spy for what exactly?

All that Jones would have to do is watch Rampage's first Pride fight and his last fight and he would have everything he needs to gameplan....Rampage is sooooo unpredictable

Great, another poor soul has lost his job
gartface
9/23/11 1:59:21PM
Just watched the SportsCenter video and Jones face looked like one of guilt and denial when Rampage said Leonard's name.
tallica62
9/23/11 3:41:31PM
whatever...at the end of a day the better fighter that night prevails...regardless of spies and crap like that...grow up
prophecy033
9/23/11 3:41:54PM
If he wasn't the spy, then why was the guy axed? Whether you are friends with the guys opponents manager or not, you don't give away secrets of any kind. Leonard just comes off looking like a high school girl who can't wait to spread the daily gossip. Bitch move
finnish_line
9/23/11 3:57:30PM
I was going to bet on Jones, but now that the spy has been found out, ...I'm still going to bet on Jones.
40ouncetpkid
9/23/11 4:00:19PM
Spying was pointless of jones, he can't prepare for the shot thats going to put him on his ass drooling
Boo_Radley21
9/23/11 4:08:02PM
I don't even care if he was spying or not it's an MMA fight not an episode of the days of our lives or some shit
MaxOne
9/23/11 4:09:52PM
so do we know for sure if that is why the guy was fired? i read it. maybe i'm missing it. It sounds pretty official but I think i must of missed it if they have officially released info indicating that is why "lennox" lost his job.
prophecy033
9/23/11 4:29:18PM

Posted by MaxOne

so do we know for sure if that is why the guy was fired? i read it. maybe i'm missing it. It sounds pretty official but I think i must of missed it if they have officially released info indicating that is why "lennox" lost his job.

I'm assuming it is the reason, otherwise musclepharm would (or should) put out a release that refutes Rampages claim
Bubbles
9/23/11 4:31:23PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I don't even care if he was spying or not it's an MMA fight not an episode of the days of our lives or some shit

nah man, more like young and the restless
FastKnockout
9/23/11 4:36:06PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

A spy for what exactly?

All that Jones would have to do is watch Rampage's first Pride fight and his last fight and he would have everything he needs to gameplan....Rampage is sooooo unpredictable

Actually, the guy resigned without reason.

"On September 16, 2011, Leonard K. Armenta resigned from his position as the Executive Vice President of MusclePharm Corporation, a Nevada corporation (the “Company”). His resignation was not the result of any disagreements with the Company on any matters relating to the Company’s operations, policies or practices."
FastKnockout
9/23/11 4:38:32PM
I believe Rampage. It seems like the only people butt hurt over it are Jon's fans.
Poor_Franklin
9/23/11 4:55:19PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

although we all need jobs, I'm not ready to call any former Exec Vice Prez poor. im sure he'll be just fine
gartface
9/23/11 4:56:23PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I believe Rampage. It seems like the only people butt hurt over it are Jon's fans.

Exactly. The way things went down, I'd be hard pressed to not think that Page was telling the truth. The fact that he and his camp decided to fake an injury, not tell anyone, and see if Jones Tweeted anything about it, only to get a call from Joe Silva asking about Rampage's hand, seems pretty legitimate to me.

Poor_Franklin
9/23/11 5:01:01PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by FastKnockout

Exactly. The way things went down, I'd be hard pressed to not think that Page was telling the truth. The fact that he and his camp decided to fake an injury, not tell anyone, and see if Jones Tweeted anything about it, only to get a call from Joe Silva asking about Rampage's hand, seems pretty legitimate to me.

& he didnt announce it on some small mma podcast. he said it on sportscenter.
ncordless
9/23/11 5:07:31PM

So Leonard, the VP of MusclePharm, was part of Rampage's camp? What was he doing?

I know Rampage thought he had a spy because Joe Silva heard about his faked injury. But what is the link that connects that to the Jones camp? Isn't the proper inference from this that the UFC had a mole in his camp?

Someone told him via twitter? That's a pretty public place. Does anyone a screenshot of the convo?

It could be a spy, but I am far from convinced yet.
kingsmasher
9/23/11 5:29:41PM
THis is so ridiculous...If anyone has a spy its the UFC themselves looking out for their own interestes they have invested in...Look at what marquardt did...After that I am sure the UFC put out reward money for anything that might hinder a main event fight...

Lets be real here...If Jones had a spy...Why tell Joe Silva about a supposed injury...Wouldnt you rather keep that to yourself? Tell me what he has to gain by saying that? NOw if he tweeted that Rmapage was taking some supplements I might give a second thought if that were true...

But this is a so-called fake injury...to even believe or give credence to this is ridiculous...No proof whatsoever...

Theres ten times the evidence that the Patriots cheated in their Super Bowl wins prior to being caught with a video camera taping opponents walk throughs and practice...and where I am from most of the time somoene is caught doing something fishy...It isnt their first time doing it...Just not the way things happen..

I find the only people believing Rampage are old Pride lovers who think Rampage is great...Hes as bad as Fedor...Never evolved...

Doesnt matter anyway..>Rampage will lose one of his next two fights...Either jones or Evans beat him...Just another excuse...
SmileR
9/23/11 5:38:20PM
I don't get why people think this is no big deal?! A guy who worked in the gym Rampage basically moved into has been passing information about his training to Jones's camp!

It will effect how Rampage trained an the UFC or the athletic commission should step in and do something!
If Jones and his camp are as squeaky clean as they want everyone to think why didn't they out the guy before Rampage found out? Or after Rampage made the claim? Or even say they knew the guy but he wasn't telling them anything!

Try an paint it however you like Rampage got screwed in his camp. Jones has a massive advantage and him and his camp have been outed as cheats.
Poor_Franklin
9/23/11 5:42:23PM

Posted by kingsmasher

I find the only people believing Rampage are old Pride lovers who think Rampage is great...Hes as bad as Fedor...Never evolved...

always ready to take a shot at fedor...

gravy13
9/23/11 5:47:14PM

Posted by SmileR

Jones has a massive advantage and him and his camp have been outed as cheats.

Yeah, Jones does have an advantage. He is a better fighter.
SmileR
9/23/11 5:48:21PM

Posted by gravy13

Posted by SmileR

And from the looks of things also a cheat. . .
ncordless
9/23/11 5:53:13PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by gravy13

Posted by SmileR

Who was the guy from musclepharm to Rampage?

What's the connection between him and Jones?

I'd be right behind you if there was anything concrete to the accusation. But so far the story doesn't add up.
machodog76
9/23/11 5:54:49PM

Posted by kingsmasher

THis is so ridiculous...If anyone has a spy its the UFC themselves looking out for their own interestes they have invested in...Look at what marquardt did...After that I am sure the UFC put out reward money for anything that might hinder a main event fight...

Lets be real here...If Jones had a spy...Why tell Joe Silva about a supposed injury...Wouldnt you rather keep that to yourself? Tell me what he has to gain by saying that? NOw if he tweeted that Rmapage was taking some supplements I might give a second thought if that were true...

But this is a so-called fake injury...to even believe or give credence to this is ridiculous...No proof whatsoever...

Theres ten times the evidence that the Patriots cheated in their Super Bowl wins prior to being caught with a video camera taping opponents walk throughs and practice...and where I am from most of the time somoene is caught doing something fishy...It isnt their first time doing it...Just not the way things happen..

Doesnt matter anyway..>Rampage will lose one of his next two fights...Either jones or Evans beat him...Just another excuse...

I’d say the fact that Jones' manager called Silva immediately is pretty good proof (which he did out of concern for the fight actually happening not to “inform” Silva of anything so in the manager's mind there was nothing to ,”keep to himself” he was merely trying to confirm something he was assuming Silva already knew ) . And as far as Rampage being as, “bad" as Fedor. I'm sure plenty of fighters would love to be as, "bad" as either one of those guys. I will concede that they haven't evolved much though.
Aether
9/23/11 6:01:29PM
Everyone seems to be automatically assuming that if the allegations were true, it would have to be Jon Jones who did this.

Has anyone considered that it could be true and that Jon Jones had nothing to do with it? Malki Kawa has a reputation for being a pretty shady, underhanded dude, and I would not put something like this past him. Whether Jones is a huge favourite or not, I'm sure Malki gets a bigger payday if Jones stays champion. He could easily have done this on his own without Jones' knowledge, and fed the information to his trainers so that they could tailor their training around it.

I agree that Jones does not need any spies to help him win, I don't see anyone beating the guy, but that doesn't mean that a shady dude like Kawa wouldn't resort to his own methods if he felt like it would maximize his chances of bigger paydays down the road.
SmileR
9/23/11 6:04:41PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by SmileR

Posted by gravy13

Posted by SmileR

I'd be right behind you if there was anything concrete to the accusation. But so far the story doesn't add up.

I'd say theres enough there to give some credit to Rampages side of things. Jones looked like a school kid caught cheating when Rampage mentioned the guys name.
Not to mention the man had basically a free pass to come and go as he wanted throughout the whole camp as well as personal relationships with the trainers at the facility.
Rampage and his team claim they knew who it was and name him on the same day the man is fired/resigns.

The only part of the story I can see people questioning is how he knew someone in Jones's camp and at this point I'm willing to believe Rampage on that considering what he's said for some time. If it turns out to be false then I guess I'm just a mug but so far its looking pretty damming for Jones and his camp.
Poor_Franklin
9/23/11 6:05:32PM

Posted by Aether

Everyone seems to be automatically assuming that if the allegations were true, it would have to be Jon Jones who did this.

Has anyone considered that it could be true and that Jon Jones had nothing to do with it? Malki Kawa has a reputation for being a pretty shady, underhanded dude, and I would not put something like this past him. Whether Jones is a huge favourite or not, I'm sure Malki gets a bigger payday if Jones stays champion. He could easily have done this on his own without Jones' knowledge, and fed the information to his trainers so that they could tailor their training around it.

I agree that Jones does not need any spies to help him win, I don't see anyone beating the guy, but that doesn't mean that a shady dude like Kawa wouldn't resort to his own methods if he felt like it would maximize his chances of bigger paydays down the road.

i think if it ends up being 100% true, it still doesn't necessarily make Jones a cheat, bc it could be his manager's fault or someone else behind the scenes.

im waiting to see if musclepharm says anything. they just had their name associated w/ cheating on espn's main program. i have to believe there will be a statement at some point confirming or denying it
ncordless
9/23/11 6:27:22PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by ncordless

Posted by SmileR

Posted by gravy13

Posted by SmileR

I'd say theres enough there to give some credit to Rampages side of things. Jones looked like a school kid caught cheating when Rampage mentioned the guys name.
Not to mention the man had basically a free pass to come and go as he wanted throughout the whole camp as well as personal relationships with the trainers at the facility.
Rampage and his team claim they knew who it was and name him on the same day the man is fired/resigns.

The only part of the story I can see people questioning is how he knew someone in Jones's camp and at this point I'm willing to believe Rampage on that considering what he's said for some time. If it turns out to be false then I guess I'm just a mug but so far its looking pretty damming for Jones and his camp.

We will see I guess. Right now, while it seems like it is possibly true, it in no way is established that it is true. I would like to know more about when/'how long this Leonard guy was there with the camp, what his relationship with Jones is, and why he resigned.
Pookie
9/23/11 6:49:23PM

Posted by SmileR

I don't get why people think this is no big deal?! A guy who worked in the gym Rampage basically moved into has been passing information about his training to Jones's camp!

It will effect how Rampage trained an the UFC or the athletic commission should step in and do something!
If Jones and his camp are as squeaky clean as they want everyone to think why didn't they out the guy before Rampage found out? Or after Rampage made the claim? Or even say they knew the guy but he wasn't telling them anything!

Try an paint it however you like Rampage got screwed in his camp. Jones has a massive advantage and him and his camp have been outed as cheats.

mrsmiley
9/23/11 6:56:55PM
I don't want to jump the gun fast.....but.. This does make me mad just merely at what we do know. Jon Jones is talented,he's diffenently got some of the best skills in the division but when it comes to this story I believe things certainly favor Rampage.
JJ looked guitly as sin in that video when Rampage was speaking and even if what we know isn't the full truth you can tell it's truth enough to Rampage and I find that scary for Jones.
This,as of now certainly takes nothing away for the skill set Bones has,but it has the potential to mark a sore spot on his character.
Pages: [1] 2