Rampage or GSP?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Rampage or GSP?
POLL: Who gives Silva more problems?
Rampage 71% (36)
GSP 29% (15)
SmileR
3/9/08 6:54:19PM

Theirs been a lot of talk recently about A Silva either going up to LHW or down to WW. If this turns out to be true which champ do you think poses the biggest threat for the MW undisputed king?

I personally think Rampage, but the only reason i can come up with is because he's going to be heavier and stronger. But then i think, St Pierre could implement the same game plan Hendo did in their fight and be a lot more successful in it.

I'm stumped!

So Rampage or GSP?
Rush
3/9/08 6:57:07PM
Given the relative success of Chute Boxe guys against Rampage, I would think that Silva might have the tools to give Rampage trouble. I think the size difference will be less of a factor than if Silva dropped 20 lbs (before cutting to 170) and fought GSP.

papercut
3/9/08 6:58:56PM
I'd have to say rampage. too big for the spider. GSP wouldn't be able to control him the way rampage would because of the size/strength difference. and I think 2 slams from rampage would destroy silva. that and GSP wouldn't be able to handle the clinch. but thats my opinion
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/9/08 7:02:18PM

Posted by Rush

Given the relative success of Chute Boxe guys against Rampage, I would think that Silva might have the tools to give Rampage trouble. I think the size difference will be less of a factor than if Silva dropped 20 lbs (before cutting to 170) and fought GSP.

i pic gsp only bc of what this guy said......bc besides silva, i dont see anyone more on top of their game than Rampage. but gsp stands a better chance for reasons stated above

btw, great post idea TS

seanfu
3/9/08 7:03:35PM
Rampage would absolutely destroy/demolish Silva.

Rampage- 225-230 after weigh ins
Silva at 205- 200-205 MAYBE

Manhandlation!!!!

EDIT- GSP could possibly win due to the severe weight cut Silva would have to endure.
Pookie
3/9/08 7:17:45PM

Posted by seanfu

Rampage would absolutely destroy/demolish Silva.

Rampage- 225-230 after weigh ins
Silva at 205- 200-205 MAYBE

Manhandlation!!!!

EDIT- GSP could possibly win due to the severe weight cut Silva would have to endure.

silva weighs 213 at walk around weight, so yeah....

BlazinSaddle
3/9/08 7:23:22PM
whats to be stumped about, hes already said he'd move up in weight, why would he drop down the guy is already slim at 185, no way he has half of his strength at 170 however at 205 im confident he would beat rampage, because the strength advantage would go out the window when there at the same weight and anderson has the style's of wandy and shogun of which seems to be page's kryptonite, anderson's style is arguable more deadly that shoguns or wandys tho so i cant give page much except a punchers or submissions chance to win
Pookie
3/9/08 7:23:42PM
I feel that silva has the tools to get back on his feet when taken down by a smaller man like gsp.

He uses his guard really well and i think could trip him and put him off balance in a way that gsp couldnt properly prepare for.
Also silva definitely has the tools to tko him.

Rampage on the other hand i think represents the biggest challenge to Silva in the LHW division.

Rampage has always had great success against counterpunchers, his stand-up defense and chin are perfect for parrying and surviving silva's sharp hands.
And on the ground rampage is strong enough to hold silva down like hendo did in round 1.

Pookie
3/9/08 7:33:04PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

whats to be stumped about, hes already said he'd move up in weight, why would he drop down the guy is already slim at 185, no way he has half of his strength at 170 however at 205 im confident he would beat rampage, because the strength advantage would go out the window when there at the same weight and anderson has the style's of wandy and shogun of which seems to be page's kryptonite, anderson's style is arguable more deadly that shoguns or wandys tho so i cant give page much except a punchers or submissions chance to win

anderson doesnt utilize his muay thai in the sam manner as shogun and wandy.

Shogun and wandy are both incredibly aggressive for basically the entire fight(when at top performance), anderson is not. Anderson likes to wait for an opponents mistake and capitalize.

When put against rampage, shogun and wandy are both effective because they can crowd him and keep him in the plum once they get in.

Anderson on the other hand likes to keep distance until his opponent foolishly rushes in, in which case he clinches them. Rampage doesnt foolishly rush in.
Rush
3/9/08 7:35:05PM

Posted by Pookie

Shogun and wandy are both incredibly aggressive for basically the entire fight(when at top performance), anderson is not. Anderson likes to wait for an opponents mistake and capitalize.

When put against rampage, shogun and wandy are both effective because they can crowd him and keep him in the plum once they get in.

Anderson on the other hand likes to keep distance until his opponent foolishly rushes in, in which case he clinches them. Rampage doesnt foolishly rush in.

good points
juanez13
3/9/08 8:19:08PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Solid Points...gotta spread the love though.
Pookie
3/9/08 8:36:44PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Pookie

Posted by BlazinSaddle

Solid Points...gotta spread the love though.

Thats why im a mma_sensei
NatedawgThaM
3/9/08 8:40:41PM
God I HATE these polls!!! GSP hasn't even proved himself a true champion. He hasn't even defended the title ONCE! He don't even have the title!!!

Anderson would murder him. On the feet Anderson would rape him with his fist. GSP will take him down but then Anderson will submit him or get back to his feet. People don't realize it's easy to take Anderson down but to keep him there or to actually do something to pass? TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!! He has the best ground defense in MMA because that's where his black belt in BJJ shines.

As for Rampage, I've said before this might be the greatest fight of all time. All the people bringing in Chutebox. You know, Rampage didn't switch to Ibrara until AFTER the Shogun and Wandy fights. He's a totally different fighter. On the feet it's be a freakin epic battle, a freakin slugfest war. But Rampage has the size and strength advantage is the key.

RAMPAGE IS THE ONLY OTHER PERSON BESIDES HENDO WHO MATCHES UP WELL AGAINST SILVA!!! To be Silva you need a strong as hell wrestler with excellent submission defense who can GNP with the best and strike with the best with a great chin and that's all rampage!!!

I've said this before too, GSP only dominates WW because of his long limbs. If he was Fitch or Kos's size, he's be just like them, a complete clone. Moving up or Anderson Dropping down he would not have the size advantage he has over small welterweights and Anderson will expose that brutally.
ChokeUout
3/9/08 8:52:32PM
lol...I love how people are already assuming GSP is gonna beat Serra just like everyone did at UFC 69. Hell, I'm picking GSP too, but I think alot of people are counting their chickens before they're hatched.

Wait and see if GSP becomes the champ people, THEN this convo may have some merit.
bls1919
3/9/08 9:06:23PM
I think anderson would win both of these fights. Both by KO/TKO I dont think GSP has the defense and Rampage would be a bit too slow. Rampage would pose more of a threat i thinnk though with his punching power
SpiderSilva
3/9/08 9:37:00PM
you know if a Serra punch can stumble GSP just think what five clean shots from Silva would do I could see GSP takedown Silva you know I bet GSP walks around about 185 so that might be a fight at 185

Page would take the fight right to the ground
I dont beleive Silva could keep rampage in the clinch
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
3/10/08 12:33:11AM
Anderson would KO both of them. Anderson hits harder, is more accurate and has longer reach then wanderlai. We all know what wandy did 2 quinton lol. Gsp would be another tko. anderson's chin is granite, if serra could rock gsp, imagine what anderson would do.
mrliquid
3/10/08 5:47:05PM
I don't think GSP would give Silva any trouble at all he would be outstriked overpowered and submitted if it went to the ground only advantage he might have would be speed and wrestling wich I don't think he would be able to use to his advantage against a bigger stronger guy with a nasty clinch, Rampage would definately be a harder fight for Anderson.
pv3Hpv3p
3/10/08 6:15:22PM
I dont think Anderson has the size to move up to LHW... There's no way I see him getting past Rampage... Hell, I don't think he could get past Chuck, Wanderlei or even Rashad Evans... The guy's are just too big and strong and would control him on the ground, while nullifying most of the power he has over 185ers...

GSP would be an intersting fight... Personally think this is the best test for Anderson besides maybe Kang or Lindland... GSP has vastly underrated wrestling and could feasably control Anderson kinda like Dan did for the first round... Georges has better standup than Dan as well, although not as good as Silva of course and the chin (st. Pierre's) would have to come into the question as well