Rampage: "I want everybody that has ever beaten me"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Rampage: "I want everybody that has ever beaten me"
betii
1/1/09 1:03:45PM
New Rampage interview. He talks a lot about the Wanderlei fight, what went down at the weigh-in, Mike Whitehead's comments, Forrest Griffin and a bunch of other stuff.

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content4060.html

On his fight with Wanderlei and more...

"My plan was to whoop his ass. I was happy I was nervous for this fight because the two times I fought Wanderlei, I wasn’t nervous at all."

"The same way I beat him Saturday was the same way I was supposed to beat him those other times, but things didn’t work right."

"I knew if Wanderlei wasn’t going down from that left, that right was coming right behind it. He would have had to go down sooner or later. Wanderlei is a tough cat and he recovers from punches really fast when you drop him. All I was thinking is if he didn’t go down, I just gotta stay on him."

"Actually, Wanderlei beat me twice and I only beat him once so he still got one up on me. I’m happy to win the fight and knock him out. I hope Wanderlei has a fast and speedy recovery. He’s good for the sport. He’s a very exciting fighter"

"I don’t hate Wanderlei and I wasn’t even looking for...he kept talking about revenge, revenge. Revenge is a dangerous motive."

"I was comfortable coming in at 206. Wanderlei has gotten smaller over the years and I’m a growing man. I’m 30 years old. I’ve gotten bigger, you know what I’m saying."

"I think if you have knockout power, you’re just born with it. I got big legs, which the people that know about fighting, that’s where your knockout power comes from. I have a big ass and big legs and when I hit people, I put my ass into it."

On Mike Whitehead's comments...

"Who the hell is Mike Whitehead?"

On the weigh-in incident...

"I knew Wanderlei was going to do that. That’s the second time that he’s pushed me or something like that. I’m not that type of person to treat people like that. I do my fighting in the Octagon; that’s where I do my fighting at. I was already motivated and then that just motivated me even more."

"I didn’t care what Wanderlei said or did, I was going to keep it classy."

"I don’t have no hatred towards nobody or nothing like that. He didn’t motivate me no more than I was already motivated."

"I knew he was going to do it and that’s what made it so funny."

"What people didn’t see is they have a fighters backroom and when he came in the room, he was looking at me and talking loud. He asked me why I was smiling at him and laughing at him and we had some words back there..."

"He wanted to fight back there."

On Forrest Griffin...

"I want Forrest. I want everybody that has ever beaten me. I’ve been saying that over and over. I want everybody that beat me in the past. I want to fight Forrest next because that was a bad fight. I want that one more because, I don’t mean to be complaining or crying, but when I lay down at night, that’s one of the things that stays in my mind."

A lot more from Rampage in the full interview:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content4060.html
gsquat
1/1/09 1:12:42PM

"I was already motivated and then that just motivated me even more."

" He didn’t motivate me no more than I was already motivated."

Twenty20Dollars
1/1/09 1:27:03PM
I need to see Rampage vs Shogun 2 for the title!!
breakdown5
1/1/09 1:38:24PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I need to see Rampage vs Shogun 2 for the title!!

Oh hell yeah!!
EvenFlow
1/1/09 4:19:33PM
I'd also like to see that Rampage.

Cant wait until Shogun is back on form.
cmill21
1/1/09 4:33:07PM
Sakuraba's in trouble
Gipper
1/1/09 4:33:42PM
he will eventually fight shogun and he will lose he better be careful what he wishes for
jae_1833
1/1/09 5:19:29PM
I wouldn't make that assumption till after his fight with Coleman. IMO Coleman should be defeated by Shogun rather quickly, especially if Shogun is getting back into true form. However, I think this next fight will tell us a lot about Shogun, I seriously doubt that Coleman is going to show me anything new. Unless Shogun destroys both Coleman and his next opponent then I don't even want to hear about a title shot in that weight class!
Diamondback2
1/1/09 7:55:39PM
Yeah Shogun needs two good wins in a row to even be mentioned in the title picture. He got destroyed by Forrest in a way i dont think I've seen Forrest Griffin beat someone before. He got beat all over the cage for 14 minutes and i cant remember 1 good minute he had.

Lets review that last 3 years of Shogun's carreer

Loses to Coleman by arm breakage. I can't hold this against Shogun, it's a weird thing that happens. So this fight is a wash. Glad to finally see this get settled, and I do think Shogun is going to tear thru Coleman.

Beats Cyrille Diabate whom at the time was rocking an amazing 10-6-1 record and had at that time or till this day beat any top level comp. PLus it was his PRIDE debut...

Beat Kevin Randleman whom was riding a beautiful 2-6 record in his last 8 fights coming into the fight.....

Beat Kazuhiro Nakamura who's carreer has went down hill after that fight. Lost his next 2 fights to Machida and Soko. A halfway decent fighter but not top level.

Beat Overeem which is a way legit win as Overeem is a top level guy. But Overeem seems to have problems with Brazilians as he has lost to alot of em!

Then got wrecked by Griffin like he was a fighter coming straight off the ultimate fighter .

I know everyone likes to say what has Shogun has done way back when but i think anything more than 3 years old is just nothing more than interesting facts. If you say Rampage in 2009 is anything like Rampage in 2005-2006 than your crazy. Same goes for Forrest, A Silva, GSP, Fitch,. Florian, Huerta, Penn, etc...

And for reference i think thats cool Rampage wants everyone that beat him but no better way than to get them to come to u by winning the belt back!!!
higdon10
1/1/09 8:57:57PM
I think that were gonna see Rampage and Griffin fight. I thought he was in line for Rashad, but the more he keeps calling for the rematch the more likely it is to happen.
Wolfenstein
1/1/09 9:29:02PM

Posted by Diamondback2

Yeah Shogun needs two good wins in a row to even be mentioned in the title picture. He got destroyed by Forrest in a way i dont think I've seen Forrest Griffin beat someone before. He got beat all over the cage for 14 minutes and i cant remember 1 good minute he had.

Lets review that last 3 years of Shogun's carreer

Loses to Coleman by arm breakage. I can't hold this against Shogun, it's a weird thing that happens. So this fight is a wash. Glad to finally see this get settled, and I do think Shogun is going to tear thru Coleman.

Beats Cyrille Diabate whom at the time was rocking an amazing 10-6-1 record and had at that time or till this day beat any top level comp. PLus it was his PRIDE debut...

Beat Kevin Randleman whom was riding a beautiful 2-6 record in his last 8 fights coming into the fight.....

Beat Kazuhiro Nakamura who's carreer has went down hill after that fight. Lost his next 2 fights to Machida and Soko. A halfway decent fighter but not top level.

Beat Overeem which is a way legit win as Overeem is a top level guy. But Overeem seems to have problems with Brazilians as he has lost to alot of em!

Then got wrecked by Griffin like he was a fighter coming straight off the ultimate fighter .

I know everyone likes to say what has Shogun has done way back when but i think anything more than 3 years old is just nothing more than interesting facts. If you say Rampage in 2009 is anything like Rampage in 2005-2006 than your crazy. Same goes for Forrest, A Silva, GSP, Fitch,. Florian, Huerta, Penn, etc...

And for reference i think thats cool Rampage wants everyone that beat him but no better way than to get them to come to u by winning the belt back!!!

True enough, if you were to disect a resume of the last three years in Shogun's career--well it's not that special. Sometimes though, it's more about how a fighter performs, and he was dominant.

It's kind of a strange cuttoff date at three years, because before Coleman Shogun's last four victories included Ricardo Arona, Antonio Rogerio Noguiera, Alistair Overseem (the first time), and Quinton Jackson. All guys very relevant today and all in the top ten mix.

He looked back to form sparring with Junior Dos Santos, so I'll go out on a limb and say he's in title contention by the end of 09' or early 2010.
Diamondback2
1/1/09 9:37:43PM
I don't doubt he can be in contention by the end of the year i think he just needs at least two if not 3 solid wins before he gets that shot.
cmill21
1/1/09 10:24:16PM

Posted by Diamondback2

I don't doubt he can be in contention by the end of the year i think he just needs at least two if not 3 solid wins before he gets that shot.

One win can put you in the title fight if your exciting enough...The UFC isn't about fair, it's about money and ratings, Shogun can make anyone watch, he's that exciting.
JackHammerXXX
1/1/09 11:00:24PM
The Shogun fight is the one I want to see. If the Griffin rematch would be deemed right, timewise, it would be now. I mean, think about it, if Rampage fights Evans, I believe he has a good, if not for sure chance at winning. And in my opinion, Forrest won't stay on the top of the contender list for long, at a time. So, if they were to fight, it should be now. Let Machida/Silva fight Rashad at UFC 100 because Evans will want time off anyway until then.
For the future though, the Shogun fight is the one, I believe that haunts Jackson, as did the Wandy fights. Because he got thrashed by Rua. Because it 'was' in Japan, I think Quinton will play it off. But anyone who saw it, knows what happened.

I take no breathes at thinking Jackson could knock Rua out. I mean, since he came over to the UFC, he has improved alot. And overall, is one of the best LHW's ever. After the outcome of a Rua rematch, the supposed Evans title fight, and maybe the Wandy best of five rivalry and a Griffin redemption fight, this guy is all but sealed.
prozacnation1978
1/2/09 11:23:51AM
either shogun or forrest is next
i hope it's shogun

but i do think he should fight rashad next
Khon_Nan
1/2/09 9:56:56PM
If page wanna get to everybody that have defeated him,he should give Ninja a rematch. The whole world (including himself) knows he lost that match.
Diamondback2
1/2/09 11:24:58PM

Posted by Khon_Nan

If page wanna get to everybody that have defeated him,he should give Ninja a rematch. The whole world (including himself) knows he lost that match.

I don't think alot of people will debate he really lost but if he fought Ninja now he would kill him. Ninja is 2-2 in his last 2 fight getting knocked out by 185 lbrs.

That spells disaster against a guy that is knocking out UFC legends with his right and PRIDE legends with his left....