Does Rampage deserve a rematch???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Does Rampage deserve a rematch???
Next Page »
owen1
7/6/08 9:25:05AM
What does everyone think??
I think he definately does the fight was extremely close(I had Rampage winning 3 rounds to 2)and he really rocked Forrest everytime he cleanly hit him.
IMO it takes more than Forest did to take the belt from the champ.The fight was also fight of the night so I dont see why there shouldn't be a rematch unless Dana wants Chuck(who has lost to rampage and jardine) to go through Rashad(who cant even beat tito) and get a title shot.
juanez13
7/6/08 9:28:11AM
He does deserve a rematch, but he wont get it immediately, i think He'll have to fight Wanderlei or Shogun before getting another title shot......(also after rewatching the fight, i really dont see how Rampage won, it was a very close fight, but IMO Forrest defenately won)

A possibility is if Chuck beats Rashad and is in good condition, they'll have them fight in the New Years sho, if not than they'll probably fight in the show after that.
Jlloyd
7/6/08 9:28:52AM
Certainly
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/6/08 9:29:58AM
Well off the bat i'd say yeah... but you know, you can always find a better matchup. I'd still be down for forrest/rampage II anytime
randompunter
7/6/08 9:50:44AM
I think he should get a rematch automatically but Chuck's biggest nuthugger is Dana so Rampage is going to have to get in line and prolly get ktfo by Silva
mrsmiley
7/6/08 9:56:31AM
I say yes,but now with Rampage freed from the title,I hope we get to see him fight Wanderlie a third time.
MMAcca
7/6/08 10:01:45AM
Rampage said he won't wait 9 months between fights ever again (ala TUF) so i think they should do the rematch straight away. (as soon as rampage's leg is ok)

Maybe on the NYE card ?
Matimus
7/6/08 10:12:35AM
for sure he should.
as soon as he is healed and ready.

Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/6/08 10:30:06AM
Rampage is ****** if he wants a title fight he has to fight Shogun or Wandy and we know what happens to jackson when he fights those guys.
Rampage, who?
Matimus
7/6/08 10:31:15AM
Jackson
voodoo-jitsu
7/6/08 11:14:04AM
i think anyone that loses his title deserves a rematch
rampage had his belt taken from him its not like he gave it away so i do think him and any other former champ should get a rematch its just respectful to give them the opportunity to get it back
Aether
7/6/08 11:18:22AM
yes absolutely, and I think when the fight is THAT close he should still be considered the #1 contender and given the first shot at it. When a champ is clearly beaten, either finished or in a lopsided decision they need to get wins before getting a shot, but when it's razor thin I think they should get another shot straight away.
prozacnation1978
7/6/08 11:41:32AM
very very close match, i do think he should get one but i see rampage fighting shogun or wandy next
juanez13
7/6/08 11:57:16AM
here are how the judges scored it if anyone is interested

Adalaide Byrd scored the fight 48-46. He gave 4 and 5 to Jackson and Griffin 1, 2, and 3.

Nelson Hamilton had it 48-46, with 1 and 4 for Jackson, and Griffin getting 2 10-8.

Roy Silbert had it 49-46 with only round 4 for Jackson.
Twenty20Dollars
7/6/08 12:20:14PM
well since ufc is still trying to find a #1 contender there is a chance but i dont want to see an immediate rematch. let rampage work his way back up like chuck liddell has had to do
NatedawgThaM
7/6/08 12:22:43PM
YES HE DOES!!!

And hopefully he gets it. A rematch with Forrest is way more deserved then a Forrest-Machida match up because Machida hasn't beaten any top contenders to deserve a title shot. He beat Soko who is like Guillard and Randleman, has on and off days, too inconsistent and Tito who has been free falling ever since he left the company in 04 or 05. And Wandy and Liddell have only had one win after series of losses.

A lot of people thought Rampage won that fight not to mention it was a great fight. DANA MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!
cmill21
7/6/08 12:27:09PM

Posted by juanez13

here are how the judges scored it if anyone is interested

Adalaide Byrd scored the fight 48-46. He gave 4 and 5 to Jackson and Griffin 1, 2, and 3.

Nelson Hamilton had it 48-46, with 1 and 4 for Jackson, and Griffin getting 2 10-8.

Roy Silbert had it 49-46 with only round 4 for Jackson.

Wow really? I thought round 1 was all rampage, with the knockdown, control on the ground for a full minuet and a bit, and more punishment on the feet. Round 1 to Rampage and round 5 to Forrest makes alot more sense....I also think you have to inflict alot more damage to get a 10-8 then Forrest did, I didn't think he did anything other then hurt him with the leg kick and control him. I still think it was a poor decision. I was happy when the fans boo'd the decision, bout the only time i've seen Forrest boo'd.
JimiMak
7/6/08 12:28:52PM
I don't think immediate rematches should ever happen. Too many contenders working for a shot. Ex champ has to have at least 1 or 2 while another top contender gets a shot. Page can get a match w/ Chuck, Wand or Shogun. Machida, imo, is the #1 contender but prob'ly won't get a match straight away. Forrest could sell by fighting Jardine, Wand or Chuck.

I think Chuck prob'ly gets next match, assuming he beats (not even finishes) Rashad.
Gipper
7/6/08 1:25:53PM
2 wins or a win over shogun, machida, wand, or t.silva.

can't see rampage and liddell fighting unless it's for the belt.
CantAndleDaRiddum
7/6/08 1:25:55PM
rampage will wanta rematch but by the time he gets a title shot, he'll have to fight lyoto

btw, lyoto will make forrest look bad, but he does that to lots of folks
ICSlegend
7/6/08 1:40:23PM

Posted by JimiMak

I don't think immediate rematches should ever happen. Too many contenders working for a shot. Ex champ has to have at least 1 or 2 while another top contender gets a shot. Page can get a match w/ Chuck, Wand or Shogun. Machida, imo, is the #1 contender but prob'ly won't get a match straight away. Forrest could sell by fighting Jardine, Wand or Chuck.

I think Chuck prob'ly gets next match, assuming he beats (not even finishes) Rashad.

If Rampage was actually "beaten", then yes. In a BS decision like that, an immediate rematch is warranted.

Machida is clearly next in line otherwise though.

I know Chuck is a posterboy and all, but he got destroyed by Page, then beat by Jardine before going to what was essentially a draw with a tentative Wand. If he can get past Rashad the most that should give him is a shot at Machida for #1 contendership.

Machida is getting screwed. The guy beats EVERYONE put in front of him, unlike all the other "contenders". UFC really doesn't cater to fans of technical fighting.
Aaronno9
7/6/08 1:43:03PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by JimiMak

I know Chuck is a posterboy and all, but he got destroyed by Page, then beat by Jardine before going to what was essentially a draw with a tentative Wand.

It wasnt a draw, Chuck won.

Realistically, Machida should get the next shot, and rampage should fight mabeys wandy or another top 10 guy before he gets another crack. I mean, people are saying machida doesn't deserve the shot becouse of who hes beaten, but just speaking on a ufc basis, Quinton only beat Marvin Eastman and was given a shot.
nickcuc547
7/6/08 1:43:28PM
if anybody else gets a shot before rampage it's a travesty, to lose your belt controversially deserves a rematch asap.
ICSlegend
7/6/08 1:51:07PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Realistically, Machida should get the next shot, and rampage should fight mabeys wandy or another top 10 guy before he gets another crack. I mean, people are saying machida doesn't deserve the shot becouse of who hes beaten, but just speaking on a ufc basis, Quinton only beat Marvin Eastman and was given a shot.

Well Chuck was "given" the decision. He didn't "beat" Wand. Just like "Wand" didn't beat Chuck. Watch it objectively. Unless you really hold meaningless takedowns in high regard, Chuck didn't do enough to win. And neither did Wand. Even draw.

Did Bisping beat Hamill? Did Nog beat Ricco? Just because fighters are "given" decision, doesn't mean they beat their opponent. I don't blindly accept whatever boxing judges score, and neither should any intelligent MMA fan.

And yes, Page had only beaten Eastman before his shot, but he already had a win against Liddell (a total beatdown with a finish, not a decision). A little different scenario.
Franklinfan47
7/6/08 1:53:19PM
I think he deserves a rematch, that fight was so close to call. Personally, I had Rampage up on the scorecards. I dont know if it should happen immediately, but it should definately happen sometime in the next year. Since it was FOTN, i see no reason why it shouldn't happen.
Aaronno9
7/6/08 1:55:23PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by Aaronno9

Well Chuck was "given" the decision. He didn't "beat" Wand. Just like "Wand" didn't beat Chuck. Watch it objectively. Unless you really hold meaningless takedowns in high regard, Chuck didn't do enough to win. And neither did Wand. Even draw.

Did Bisping beat Hamill? Did Nog beat Ricco? Just because fighters are "given" decision, doesn't mean they beat their opponent. I don't blindly accept whatever boxing judges score, and neither should any intelligent MMA fan.

And yes, Page had only beaten Eastman before his shot, but he already had a win against Liddell (a total beatdown with a finish, not a decision). A little different scenario.

Comparing Nog vs Ricco and Mike vs Matt to Chuck and wandy is ridiculous. Only the die hard wandy fans and pride fanboys think wandy won that fight. If we did a poll, where only people who where totally on the fence in their opinions od chuck and wand, and pride vs the ufc, id be willing to bet at least 70% of those people would vote chuck won. Chuck wasn't "given" that decision, he earned it.
ICSlegend
7/6/08 1:58:41PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Comparing Nog vs Ricco and Mike vs Matt to Chuck and wandy is ridiculous. Only the die hard wandy fans and pride fanboys think wandy won that fight. If we did a poll, where only people who where totally on the fence in their opinions od chuck and wand, and pride vs the ufc, id be willing to bet at least 70% of those people would vote chuck won. Chuck wasn't "given" that decision, he earned it.

You're right, only diehard/blind fans would think Wand won.

Look at the fight objectively without Rogan's biased commentary.

It was a draw.

Neither fighter did enough to clearly say who the better fighter was. If only Wand had jumped on Chuck when he dropped him...but he didn't. So we will have to wait for the rematch which will hopefully end in a KO and erase any doubt for either fighter.
JimiMak
7/6/08 5:40:08PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by Aaronno9

You're right, only diehard/blind fans would think Wand won.

Look at the fight objectively without Rogan's biased commentary.

It was a draw.

Neither fighter did enough to clearly say who the better fighter was. If only Wand had jumped on Chuck when he dropped him...but he didn't. So we will have to wait for the rematch which will hopefully end in a KO and erase any doubt for either fighter.

You can't make those arguments tho. Fact is Chuck won. Fact is Forrest won. You can't decide cuz you don't like dec's that they arent' as just as any other.

Matches aren't only just when there is a finish and honestly the rest of the world doesn't care if you agreed or not. Chuch over Wandy was justified based on the match they had. Forrest vs Page was justified on the match they had. Doesn't matter if you agree or not. It was not a draw, it was not scored a draw. If you don't want the judges to decide finish the fight.

It is what it is, and I would've like Page to finish, same as I wanted Wandy to finish. Fact is, if you look objectively, they both lost.

There is no BS just cuz you don't agree w/ the dec. Rampage should have to fight 1 or 2 ppl before getting the shot... NO MATTER what happened.

I don't wanna see Chuck get the next shot, but it will prob'ly happen... and you can't say he isn't a worthy opponent.

For the most part the top 5 in this div can all beat each other. You have your fav's we all do. We don't all agree w/ every dec. This was not a controversial dec, just not everyone agreed... NOT THE SAME!

Forrest should fight Machida and/or Chuck and/or Wandy and/or Shogun before Page gets a shot. This div is too tight.
Hurricane_Brad
7/6/08 6:26:30PM
I think that an immediate rematch would be in order for Rampage as it was a very close and controversial victory. I thought that Rampage won rounds 1, 3 and 4 with Forrest winning 2 and 5. Round 2 could have easily been scored 10 - 8 for Forrest, which would make it a draw. Regardless, it was not a dominating victory for Griffin, so an immediate rematch would be appropriate IMHO.
mrsmiley
7/6/08 6:36:32PM
With all the competition in the division I want to see someone else get a crack,but I do believe Rampage deserves a rematch.Though I think Forrest won the fight,I still think it was close enough for Quiton to get an immediate rematch.
Pages: [1] 2